Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

This House Must Not Burn!!!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / This House Must Not Burn!!!!! (445 Views)

How Do I Increase My Productivity At Work And Not Burn Out? Come Here / Mimi Stevenson: Burn Survivor And Her Two Kids Melt Hearts On Social Media / Man Impregnates And Weds His Sister In Anambra Church. Youths Burn Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

This House Must Not Burn!!!!! by oblo(m): 7:52pm On Jan 29, 2019
I am sorry its a lengthy post. But so vivid still in my head and would not be complete if I had summarized it fully. Yes I left out some details.

THIS HOUSE MUST NOT BURN!!!

So recently I was transferred to Lagos impromptu and had to put up in the interim with my elder Sister who had just acquired a house she was still paying heavily for. Something happened I would never forget this morning, the 29th day of January 2019. At about 6.45am while I was still dozing but trying to pinch myself to wake and get ready for work, when I heard my little 10 year old nephew call me….
“ Uncle Ohi…. Uncle Ohi…..come quick something is happening outside”.

I dove out from under the duvet and followed him to the window--low and behold I saw flames and heard popping sounds coming from the tenants side of the house!! Note that the house is built in such a way that although we have different compounds, my Sister and tenants share the same roof. I still cannot recollect how I scaled the stairs going downstairs and at the same time ignoring my Sisters call not to go outside because she was thinking those popping sounds were gunshots and armed robbers were on rampage . I rushed out but the gate the was locked, ran back inside, got the keys and then to the car for the fire extinguisher and bounded over to the tenants house.

Immediately I saw the flames I knew the fire extinguisher was no match and I dropped it. With the way the flames were going the first responders had probably thought it was a hopeless case and we should just wait for the Fire Brigade to come save the day. I said to myself - THIS HOUSE MUST NOT BURN!!!

In that same instant while they concentrated on getting a ladder to save the family trapped upstairs, I ran back and got water in a bucket to start battling the flames when it dawned on the first responders that there just might be hope in putting the fire out. They all joined me and in no time there was organized chaos!!

Whatever available bucket was recruited , detergent produced and that was how we faced the inferno heads on. For like five minutes it looked like we were making no impact even as we used the other fire extinguishers that neighbors provided ( Some worked while others already spent and useless). So we continued dousing the flames with water and soon enough it paid off just as the flames started subsiding. We then proceeded in using a ladder to get to the balcony to tackle the fire in the roof.

Thankfully by this time the burglar proof of the room where the tenant and kids was trapped had been cut open and they were all rescued via a ladder. The lady is still in shock as I type. All safe and sound.
All this drama took less than 45 minutes but I can tell you it felt like forever.

THIS HOUSE MUST NOT BURN!! A very valuable lesson to take here is that we as humans have the will to persevere. All you need do is to dig in to be determined, not loose focus because surely there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

THIS HOUSE MUST NOT BURN!! No matter how daunting a task, job, situation is, just brace up and be strong. Nothing lasts forever except death and even as Christians we know we shall rise again. Never think you are the only one in that circle or has ever been.

THIS HOUSE MUST NOT BURN!! In a country where religious differences are a cause for concern and conflict, I have come to realize that majority of Nigerians choose to make it so. This incident showed me that being your brothers keeper is way more important than having religion tear us apart. I was speechless and overwhelmed as everyone came out to help, be it Muslims, Christians and I am sure we must have had some Atheist and other religions amongst the rescue team. Not forgetting also APC or PDP members. Lol. All united as one to save the day.

THIS HOUSE MUST NOT BURN! Be ready at some point in your life to take action or responsibility. No matter whose ox is gored. We live in a time where people feel its not their business or an issue has no direct impact over them. A particular fellow fully dressed on his way to work was the first person to accompany me to get water. He did not care if he got dirty or late to work.

THIS HOUSE MUST NOT BURN! What more can I say but team work is still the most reliable and most efficient way to achieve goals. If you are not ready to work as a team member be ready to be pushed away in the same way I pushed a bystander blocking my way in the frenzy. He was not helping in any way but stood in the way of people who did.

THIS HOUSE MUST NOT BURN!! I would reiterate all house holds should have a fire drill and know how to use a fire extinguisher. And for houses on upper floors they should have at least two burglar proofs made in such a way that they can be opened from inside and used as an escape route in emergencies like this.

I pray no one has to go through the trauma and shock associated with mishaps.

Lastly I want to appreciate all those who came out to help. I do not know any of them. Shout out to the Lagos State Fire service, LASEMA who came to re-inspect and make sure we had put out all the fire and finally the Police who all responded and were on ground as well. God bless you all.

2 Likes

Re: This House Must Not Burn!!!!! by piroux(f): 11:10pm On Jan 29, 2019
Wow!! This is massive! I'm so glad no life was lost and no one was hurt.
The truth is when push comes to shove, Nigerians can be really amazing people.
God bless everyone who helped, replenish your sister her losses and sustain everyone throughout this year.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Haier Thermoccool Freezer HTF-425 N150,000 / Get Exquisite 3 In 1 Post Partum Belt / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.