Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? (3747 Views)

Be Your Own Boss With Oriflame Business Opportunities!!! / Hiit?niit?aptech?which One Is Better To Study It? / Public Sector Vs Private Sector: Which One Is Better To Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by GOLDFISH(m): 10:19pm On Jan 11, 2006
In this age would you like to be your own boss?Have your own business where you call the shots considering the ups and downs associated with such ventures?
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by Seun(m): 10:48pm On Jan 11, 2006
I prefer it. If you don't enjoy the thrill and the fulfilment of being the one making the most important decisions and being the one to blame when anything goes wrong then neither self-employment nor entrepreneurship is for you.
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by hotangel2(f): 3:11am On Jan 12, 2006
i would love to be my own boss. But i wouldnt mind working for someone is the CA$H is good.
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by layi(m): 5:16pm On Jan 12, 2006
I'll prefer to be my own boss.
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by otokx(m): 11:01am On Jan 14, 2006
it depends
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by mizkay(f): 2:36am On Jan 17, 2006
DEFINITELY. it has ALL the advantages if you are really successfully---in all, you only answer to YOURSELF! what can be better than that?
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:34pm On Feb 23, 2006
i love been in control so definetely yes!!!!!!!
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by babymine(f): 11:18am On Mar 10, 2006
I agree with mizkay completely. I'd like to be in control. wink
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by Skidoc(m): 11:27am On Mar 10, 2006
Of course, infact it's the best! cool
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by dremoney(m): 9:38pm On Apr 17, 2006
Definitely by the Grace of Almighty God,,i will be my own Boss later in life, Now,im going tru the learning process as a manager, Glory be to God in the Highest.
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by my2cents(m): 6:56pm On Apr 20, 2006
Here is what I tell pple:

If you are in some form of tertiary institution:
Get a job, work for some time and get the experience (and save money too), start small (50-50), then after 5 or so years, then go big time.

If not:
Go for it. worst-case, you fail. It is better to try and fail, than not to try at all.

If you are in school: do something on the side. The money may be small, but it sure beats having to ask Dad for wazo to buy pants, abi? When I was in SS3, I started a small shop in front of our house with N9 (Cabin biscuit, toffee and groundnut, Yeah, that was 1990). It ended up taking our whole garage by the time I left for Nigeria in 1993. So, with dedication, it can be done.

Bottomline, you will work harder than you would working for someone. But at the end of the day, you don't answer to anyone. You set your own hours and when you count the money, you will be smiling big time.

Finally, I end with something I read about 4 yrs ago: If you are not proud enough to tell your friends and family what you do for a living, then you are not ready to be self-employed. Humility is key.

That's my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by dremoney(m): 7:19pm On Apr 20, 2006
2 cents i quite agreee wit u, tnx bro
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by Rare(m): 1:28pm On May 01, 2006
I think MY2Cents said it all. In as much as being the boss is fun and wise; you have to consider your situation. But start 'small' when you can, and 'big' if you can and be consistent and persevere ; those have been the watch-words of many great entrepreneurs. That way , the end result should be your dream!!!!!
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by SeunO(m): 12:13pm On May 10, 2006
Well i think it is best to be self employed. There is a lot of talk about the pay package in the Oil & communications industries, but the truth is that Salaries, no matter how large, can only at the very best make you comfortable. if you have plans of being wealthy, dont stay too long in paid employment
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by bolaoni(m): 4:36pm On May 12, 2006
Far Better.

The beginning may the rough and tough but the end is always glorious.

wink
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by dremoney(m): 10:28am On May 15, 2006
yeah,,seun i agree with you, for anybody that aspires to be wealthy, he/she must not stay long in paid employment.
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by bolaoni(m): 5:08pm On May 16, 2006
If you have ever read Retire oung Retire Rich, by Kiyosaki, you would have known why U don't need a job.

A great piece of work by Bob. I also downloaded an audio version of the book and it has been one of my greatest companion.

WANNA GET RICH? You don't need a JOB!

wink
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by diyobdw(f): 7:44am On May 17, 2006
Being your boss is not for everyone.Your have to be sure you have what it take to control the power that come with it or else it it will ruin you.
I would enjoy being my boss. i am already walking toward that watchout for me smiley wink cheesy grin
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by Bisiriyu: 9:54am On May 18, 2006
WHY NOT. If what i'll be earning is more than what i'm earning now.
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by Okeym: 3:32pm On May 19, 2006
Yea, the answer can only be the same, YES! Like I often said while iin higher institution, I study not to be employed but to employ. Unfortunately, my father was a civil servant with no other income-source, and I know what stories I have to tell as a result. It's only a bufoon that will be a slave for life. Even in theĀ  bible, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc were all enterpreneurs. Even, God himself passed a law that every slave be freed in the year of Jubilee. That means slavery in service(salaried job) is designed to end after a while.

So men, we got to think aloud. No doubt, with the Naija situation, it's hard to start one's own, but even if we have to work awhile, let it be a while.

But if u must be a boss, prepare to be a good one. Get the skills, get the knowledge, get the humility, and industry. Learn to be self-motivated, focused,vast, and optmistic. As for me, there is no going back, I'm bound to not only be on my own, but further improve the economy by employing labour. Even then, I will be a limit to the number of years you can work under me, say less than 20 yrs; i'll primarily encourage my staff (my cash, awards and capacity building) to work in readiness for their own business- that way, i will always have fresh ideas and no room for power tussle. I think that's the way it ought to be.

Again, I'll be my own boss someday, not long. Lov U guys!
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by diyobdw(f): 3:47pm On May 19, 2006
@Okeym
Welcome to Nairaland !! cheesy
You started well!! nice words
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by bolaoni(m): 9:59am On May 22, 2006
Great one Okeym!

Love all you said. Welcome to this wonderful community!
wink
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by solafancy(m): 8:53am On Jun 01, 2006
Being your own boss is really worth giving a second thought by anybody doing paid job presently,like robert kiyasoki said in "rich dad poor dad" paid job should be done for some time then left so as to be able to manage one's life very well. take for instance most of the so called paid workers in lag who works day in day out to earn a salary monthly,they wake as early as 5am to rush to the office,come back as late as 10-11pm everyday.For how long do they want to live such type of life?

Some hardly knows their children,then we complain that their is no morals again in the country,why would there be when the parents who should teach their children these morals are busy trying to keep their jobs?

Being your own boss has more than enough advantages; it give you the freedom to determine what you earn 'cos you control your business drives urself,ideas don't die in you becos a boss does not give you the freehand to operate, you have the time to do what you feel at all time to make you successful in life, you don't rest assured that you will be paid at the end of the month(oga ta,oga oo ta ,owo alaru aa pe),you feel the need to put in more effort into your business ideas 'cos u know if you don't do that you will not be able to put food on the table for your family(unless you are the weakling type).

so wake up today and do what u have to do,paid job is not all the best for youuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! Be your own BOSS.
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by beyonce1(f): 3:23am On Jun 17, 2006
my2cents:

Here is what I tell people:

Finally, I end with something I read about 4 years ago: If you are not proud enough to tell your friends and family what you do for a living, then you are not ready to be self-employed. Humility is key.

That's my 2 cents

@2cents

I wonder if u knew how much u touched my life here ? ----- just yesterday I sat down for more than a couple of hours and actually drew out a plan of starting a 'particular' part-time self-employed work . but this line of yours made me totally change my mind. of course I'd always start using this as a bottom point . and I've just sincerely asked myself if I'd be bold enough to boast about it-----. THANKS ONCE AGAIN.
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by Mystique(f): 11:18am On Jul 03, 2006
Being ur own boss is kool, as long as you dont mind taking risks wink
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by diyobdw(f): 4:12pm On Jul 03, 2006
And you are ready to be working or thinkg about work at any and every time of your day
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by GOLDFISH(m): 12:30pm On Jul 06, 2006
Encouraging words from you guys but in my quest to be my own boss(started as a script writer)it has been WAR.Most times you go penniless friends look at me as if am weird they say stuffs like this 'you're wasting your time look at us we graduated together we have good jobs yet you're still struggling'.Words like this makes one feel so ALONE.Is there a way out?
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by Seun(m): 7:49pm On Jul 22, 2006
Yes.
- Post your scripts on Nairaland to get more exposure.
- Go for a business with more customers. (TV advertising? School dramas with product placement?)
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by Teezy(f): 8:29pm On Jul 22, 2006
I'm my own boss n i'm loving it!!!!!
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by justin04(m): 9:22pm On Jul 22, 2006
Been doing my own thing the last 3 years and i am loving it, wondered why I did not make this move years ago. visit my website at www.justintimeservices.net
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by memyself2(f): 10:52pm On Jul 22, 2006
i guess it depends on what u would like to do, i definitely would love to reach the high ranks but being my own boss, it doesnt sound too appealin to me. i would love a partner maybe, someone to share ideas with, to discuss decisions, a shoulder to cry over wrong decisions with, so i guess, im not so crazy about being my own boss.
Re: Is It Better To Be Your Own Boss? by diddy4(m): 2:08am On Jul 23, 2006
it is better but if working under another person gets me enough cash then i wudnt mind but it gott@ be a very big company.
being your own boss is really nice. you are the boss and the rest are your workers. you call the shots and they take the hit.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cbt Nugget Training Video For Cissp,c|eh,ccna,ccnp And Ips / Generate Cool Fund Routing Advert Publications To Nigeria Local Media. / Is Begging Now A Profession?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.