Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,775 members, 7,810,023 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Public Sector Vs Private Sector: Which One Is Better To Work? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Public Sector Vs Private Sector: Which One Is Better To Work? (3278 Views)

Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey / State Civil Service Vs Private Business / Ican Study Pack For Public Sector Accounting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Public Sector Vs Private Sector: Which One Is Better To Work? by ladygogo: 2:23am On Sep 08, 2011
I personally think it's better to work in the private sector at the outset of your career, because you actually work your butts off, do more challenging work and also get more exposure.

For example, I did my Youth Service in the public sector, and I can say I didn't really do or learn much; the same thing applies to the permanent staff that I was working with at the time. All they ever think about is how they can go on international and local training so that they can get Esta code and per Diem, lol

N.B-And I served with a regulator in the power sector.

What say you my peeps?
Re: Public Sector Vs Private Sector: Which One Is Better To Work? by AjanleKoko: 6:54am On Sep 08, 2011
Well, you said it mostly yourself.

Most public sector agencies and parastatals in Nigeria are riddled with bureaucracy, profligacy and corruption. Also lots of instability, since the headship of those organizations are strictly political and subject to change at the whim of the ruling powers.

Though if you are solely into stability and working at your own pace, public sector might be the place for you. Private sector is a lot more competitive, you learn a lot more about doing business in the real Nigeria as well as the wider world, and the remuneration is almost always better. If you have the opportunity to work in an MNC, all the better, as you're likely to have a lot of inter-cultural interaction, working with people from almost every corner in the world.

Mind you, this assessment may not necessarily apply outside Nigeria. Though I suspect the situation wouldn't be much different really. Government is government, no matter where. That's my gut feeling.
Re: Public Sector Vs Private Sector: Which One Is Better To Work? by Plutarch: 7:29am On Sep 08, 2011
They are two different places with totally different experiences,orientations and challenge. They both hv their merits n demerits.

BTW op, i think by saying 'private sector', u r referring to well established companies especially d Multinationals,if u cant get a job in any of them then i would strongly advise u land yourself in the public sector.

Back to topic: if u can get a job in d private sector,i think its better than d public sector. I personally dont like Nigeria's public sector;i can hardly see myself being fulfilled there. Pub sector is a place with little challenges where d only motivation 4 workers is their monthly salary,its a place where laziness n lawless reigns. It is a place where people get promoted as a result of no of years of service rather than productivity. In all these demerits u will also see the merits.

The private sector is not for lazy pple as there is no room 4 redundancy. Be sure that in order to stay productive u will be given all manner of training. Its very tasking working there but its also very rewarding. However,you must be at d top of your game to get employed here u need to be @ d top of your game - the diff between d two worlds starts here.
Re: Public Sector Vs Private Sector: Which One Is Better To Work? by ladygogo: 4:30pm On Sep 08, 2011
Well, you said it mostly yourself.

Most public sector agencies and parastatals in Nigeria are riddled with bureaucracy, profligacy and corruption. Also lots of instability, since the headship of those organizations are strictly political and subject to change at the whim of the ruling powers.

Though if you are solely into stability and working at your own pace, public sector might be the place for you. Private sector is a lot more competitive, you learn a lot more about doing business in the real Nigeria as well as the wider world, and the remuneration is almost always better. If you have the opportunity to work in an MNC, all the better, as you're likely to have a lot of inter-cultural interaction, working with people from almost every corner in the world.

Mind you, this assessment may not necessarily apply outside Nigeria. Though I suspect the situation wouldn't be much different really. Government is government, no matter where. That's my gut feeling.

Thanks Ajanlekoko. Yes. Bureaucracy is the word. In regard to stability,I still believe the Pub sector only experiences a semblance of it. Employees can still be laid off if and when government decides to prioritize and cut spending. Whereas, priv sector employees experience lower level of security, higher remuneration, good work ethic,diversity(age,race etc.) and marketability.

The assessment is not any different outside Nigeria.
Re: Public Sector Vs Private Sector: Which One Is Better To Work? by ladygogo: 4:56pm On Sep 08, 2011
They are two different places with totally different experiences,orientations and challenge. They both hv their merits n demerits.

BTW op, i think by saying 'private sector', u r referring to well established companies especially d Multinationals,if u cant get a job in any of them then i would strongly advise u land yourself in the public sector.

Back to topic: if u can get a job in d private sector,i think its better than d public sector. I personally dont like Nigeria's public sector;i can hardly see myself being fulfilled there. Pub sector is a place with little challenges where d only motivation 4 workers is their monthly salary,its a place where laziness n lawless reigns. It is a place where people get promoted as a result of no of years of service rather than productivity. In all these demerits u will also see the merits.

The private sector is not for lazy pple as there is no room 4 redundancy. Be sure that in order to stay productive u will be given all manner of training. Its very tasking working there but its also very rewarding. However,you must be at d top of your game to get employed here u need to be @ d top of your game - the diff between d two worlds starts here.

Thanks Plutarch. Yes, I was refering to MNC and well established priv coys. You are very right. You can never be fulfilled if you are a public sector employee. What then is the purpose of working? My sentiments exactly! You'll hear people bitching and whining because they are yet to go on training,([b]not necessarily because of what he is going to learn, but just for the fact that he gets to travel to the abroad and receive estacode)[/b]promotion(not necessarily because he deserves to be promoted)etc.

You needed to have seen the frustration and disdain at my previous workplace when the new Chairman put a damper on local and international training for a while, lol

While I was serving, at the end of each day, I'll ask myself, "What did I do today apart from drinking tea and buiscuit, registering documents and gossiping in the luch room, lol
Re: Public Sector Vs Private Sector: Which One Is Better To Work? by Plutarch: 8:02pm On Sep 08, 2011
I wish u good luck i can see there.

(1) (Reply)

Who Knows How Valid This Is? / Nigerian Immigration Service Past Questions And Answers / Shamsiya Jibo Kano Born Sniper Serving In The Us Marine corps- Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.