Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,845 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. (36050 Views)

BBC Interview:Tinubu Questioned On 4 Billion Dollars (N1.84 Thrillion) Net Worth / Peter Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In His Family Business / Peter Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Fa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by Anambralstson: 6:30am On Jan 31, 2019
Peacemaker5128:

Ogogoro Master
For low brains, they have created jobs for many, pay billions of taxes to fg and states

5 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by MaxNdu: 6:37am On Jan 31, 2019
rusher14:

But against the law.

It means you are using state money to enrich yourself.

It's funny how you might think it's ok but when an unsubstantiated story of a relative of Buhari bought a distressed bank, many of your brought your daggers out.

I think the right questions are, "is the money still available to the State" and "is the investment productive and yielding returns". If yes to these questions I don't see anything wrong with such.
This is the only man in the history of Nigeria that has taken State money and doubled it for the State. Others we know, will squander it on some useless and unproductive investment.

7 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by Born2Breed(f): 6:39am On Jan 31, 2019
1. Let’s compare how many times @PeterObi answered a question for @Atiku;
2. Let’s count how many times @Atiku said he doesn’t understand the question;
3. Let’s count how many times @Atiku claim the mics was not working.

3 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by bendike: 6:43am On Jan 31, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

Devoloping a state and increasing $30m to $100m should carry a jail term?

That is why this country is not growing. You have people who do not know the concept of having 10 naira today and increasing it to 100 naira tomorrow.
We are governed by people who are not business minded and such cannot increase value.
It is shocking to see people saying conflict of interest when a man increase state investments 3 fold.

2 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by martowskin1(m): 6:44am On Jan 31, 2019
Anambralstson:

Sagamu plant has been commissioned last year

u can imagine..... that means am not even upto date,

i dont care, call atiku thief, is none of my business.... in as much obi is with him, then i have hope in their combination, obi have alot to loose and he wont put it online for political gain.

am tired of being ruled by a cow owner, i need a business men to be in-charge of affairs....

business men are always know to have shady dealings is part of the world, but at the end of the day we cant deny the benefit, even trump is being accused of corruption, but he has improve USA economy more than obama and bush combined

thats what i want to see, not this lawyer and cow owner who have nothing to show telling me about corruption

5 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by AnanseK(m): 6:47am On Jan 31, 2019
sholatech:
There is nothing illegal in this investment. He didnt own the company that the state govt invested in..no conflict of interest in any way here.

You cannot be serious. This is how him and Atiku plan to sell Nigeria. To themselves
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by Baselm: 6:48am On Jan 31, 2019
MrCounselor:
Bet Donald Trump seems to be pushing towards building his controversial border fence through his company now undecided .

Heard him say questioners shouldn't worry how he'll get it done coz its his thing.
And that is why there has been the longest shutdown in US government history, because the House and senate wouldn't approve of such budgetary allocation
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by MannaFromHeaven(m): 6:52am On Jan 31, 2019
Sannisege:
Peter Obi is very empty. A mediocre personality. His mediocrity was glaring for all to see yesterday. God forbid Atiku/Obi win the coming elections. Their looting go pass GEJ’s government own
Weyrey leleyi oo. You are just too unfortunate, why do you have to lie? Na black and white TV you watch?

5 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by xandercage1: 6:53am On Jan 31, 2019
Sannisege:
Peter Obi is very empty. A mediocre personality. His mediocrity was glaring for all to see yesterday. God forbid Atiku/Obi win the coming elections. Their looting go pass GEJ’s government own
you are a confirm fool you and ur generation pained afonja go and die ode!

3 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by Baselm: 6:55am On Jan 31, 2019
So any public office holder can now invest government money in their Family and friends businesses as long as they are sure the business would be profitable. Nigerians are unreasonable. Maybe the money could have been used for improving healthcare facilities, good roads etc maybe people have died as a result of non access to quality healthcare facilities, while the money is in a brewery.

In a sane country, he will be in jail, here in Nigeria people are defending him. Nigerians deserve the kind of leaders they get, I will keep saying it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by prinzcheetah: 6:57am On Jan 31, 2019
Ray97:
obi just bringing atiku and pdp out.. chaii

this people think motivational speeches is the same thing as leadership

����
Since their educated they think everything they say is correct
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by brtaiwo(m): 7:00am On Jan 31, 2019
Reading Some of the statements I feel if some people on Nairaland will have sway Nigeria has no future.

If you watched the debate and still feel Buhari should continue to rule then you are one of Nigeria's problem

5 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by martineverest(m): 7:20am On Jan 31, 2019
this one was where the woman got obi and obi became totally confused and started stammering for 5 minutes till the woman switched to Atiku and he reagined himself.

I just watched obi on how he disgraced himself
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by MrSix: 7:20am On Jan 31, 2019
KAHBOOM:

Nah

You are the illogical person here...How can someone who's meant to be neutral say dere is no difference between Apc and pdp?
So she knew all dis while?why didn't she tell dat to Buhari and osinbajo?

Any time she feel obi is answering her questions correctly she cuts him off and says pls be serious?Be serious!Did obi come dere to play.
She didn't respect obi the way she respected atiku
Obi wasn't serious. For example, the N1=$1 bullshit. He picked it froM where?
Obi also said PDP never used N16bil on power. That it's a lie. She then interrupted him to be serious. She told him a 2008 report from NASS had that figure in document. What then did Obi resorted to? To compare with what APC has done.
Tell me how she was not to tell hiM to be serious? Obi wasn't and isn't serious at all. He was just there to impress himself. To answer questions plainly, he was busy finding a way out.

On why he is running with a conditate whose age range he once kicked about, he was talking about someone with experience. So he never knew this before making those statements? Obi didn't impress at all and hence Kadaria telling him to be serious was worth it. He clearly was shown be her to be unserious.

***Yeah...what led to the implication of her making a question out of it all was how they were busy throwing comparisons. On the power misappropriation, she asked that, so PDP only did less and as such should be voted as the lesser between two evils.

The rants online made me watch for myself and clearly those rants were fROM people who refuse to see or be logical.

KadariA did absolutely well. She was just good, perhaps too good. She was very logical.

1 Like

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by MrSix: 7:22am On Jan 31, 2019
Born2Breed:
1. Let’s see how many times @PeterObi will answer a question for @Atiku;
2. Let’s count how many times @Atiku will say he doesn’t understand the question;
3. Let’s see if @Atiku will claim the mics are not working.
You don't have any reasonable thing to say.

Stop being a media zombie, use your head.
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by RTSC: 7:23am On Jan 31, 2019
Movic1:
https://www.nairaland.com/4993211/corruption-how-atiku-obi-shoot

I tried to explain this yesterday. Is that not a form of corruption Peter Obi is corrupt.
He is corrupt and yet the apc and all their agencies have never once accused Peter of enriching himself.

Even when they accuse atiku without proof, they delibrately avoid bringing Peter into that mess

The gap between the atiku/peter obi and the buhari candidacy is as light and day.

Nigerians should make the right choice.
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by kurt09(m): 7:24am On Jan 31, 2019
Baselm:
So any public office holder can now invest government money in their Family and friends businesses as long as they are sure the business would be profitable. Nigerians are unreasonable. Maybe the money could have been used for improving healthcare facilities, good roads etc maybe people have died as a result of non access to quality healthcare facilities, while the money is in a brewery.

In a sane country, he will be in jail, here in Nigeria people are defending him. Nigerians deserve the kind of leaders they get, I will keep saying it.
Kindly visit all the public health facilities in Anambra state and compare them with the public health centers in your state of origin. Then read the gibberish you posted again.

5 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by RTSC: 7:25am On Jan 31, 2019
brtaiwo:
Reading Some of the statements I feel if some people on Nairaland will have sway Nigeria has no future.

If you watched the debate and still feel Buhari should continue to rule then you are one of Nigeria's problem
It's just tribal politics, nothing more.
They don't care about Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by otipoju(m): 7:26am On Jan 31, 2019
Baselm:

My intepretation of his explanation

The Brewery offered Peter Obi a 15 percent personal stake in the company but he declined in order to avoid conflict of interest and suggested an alternative course of action.

He invested in his capacity as governor and custodian of the states finances on behalf of Anambra state, in Anambra states name, to 30 million dollars in International Breweries. Which was a ten percent of the company shares.

On his suggestion, the International Breweries then sold 5 percent shares which is15 million dollars to his parents company Next International which he allowed since he had no personal involvement in equity or oversight in the company. Therefore Next International coughed out 15 million dollars out of pocket to invest in the Brewery venture.

And if you do a little research on Next International Nigeria Limited, they are a FMCG company with subsidiaries in UK and various cities in Nigeria. They are not a paper company. So i believe they could come up with 15 million dollars to invest.

So at the end of the day, he did not invest Anambra state funds in his parents business...
...Except it can be proved with evidence that Anambra state borrowed or gave his parents the 15 million dollars to buy a 5 per cent stake in International Breweries...then that will be wrong.

Twas a risk and they could have lost their money.

If other state governments can take a cue from this and invest state funds in private business, i am sure they will be less inclined to tax those companies to death and create an environment where private business may thrive

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by Anyad231: 7:26am On Jan 31, 2019
Question to apc goons....is obi still governor of anambra? Is the state not being enriched by that investment? Obiano should tell us if his present govt. Has not benefited from it... obi just showed u guys that he will always have d people interest first.. Buhari and osibanjo should tell us how much was borrowed from china or recovered from looters and how it was re invested for the future of this country...instead of trade- moni or feeding one side if the country and telling us we have a common interest.

2 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by RTSC: 7:30am On Jan 31, 2019
Anambra has the lowest debt in Nigeria. And it was because of Peter obi.

Let that sink in.

2 Likes

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by KAHBOOM: 7:34am On Jan 31, 2019
MrSix:

Obi also said PDP never used N16bil on power. That it's a lie. She then interrupted him to be serious. She told him a 2008 report from NASS had that figure in document. What then did Obi resorted to? To compare with what APC has done.
Tell me how she was not to tell hiM to be serious? Obi wasn't and isn't serious at all. He was just there to impress himself. To answer questions plainly, he was busy finding a way out.

On why he is running with a conditate whose age range he once kicked about, he was talking about someone with experience. So he never knew this before making those statements? Obi didn't impress at all and hence Kadaria telling him to be serious was worth it. He clearly was shown be her to be unserious.

***Yeah...what led to the implication of her making a question out of it all was how they were busy throwing comparisons. On the power misappropriation, she asked that, so PDP only did less and as such should be voted as the lesser between two evils.

The rants online made me watch for myself and clearly those rants were fROM people who refuse to see or be logical.

KadariA did absolutely well. She was just good, perhaps too good. She was very logical.

It's like you are her PA.

If u really watched buhari and atikus interview and didn't see any biasness in that interview then you are a biased Apc fan.

Her aggressive body language and her mumu questions like atiku and his state govt bin the highest employers of labour exposed her.
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by MarianaTrench: 7:35am On Jan 31, 2019
Shayetet13:
If i see a lucrative business there is nothing stopping me from asking everyone i know to invest in it. Whoever has money can invest! I see no issue here. My family and a state government i control, investing on the same lucrative business with their various monies is not a bad thing

There is a conflict of interest in investing state funds in a company controlled by a governor and his close associates you móron!
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by Sirjamo: 7:35am On Jan 31, 2019
Shayetet13:
If i see a lucrative business there is nothing stopping me from asking everyone i know to invest in it. Whoever has money can invest! I see no issue here. My family and a state government i control, investing on the same lucrative business with their various monies is not a bad thing
What's the difference between what Obi did and what Babachir did?

Obi put government money in his family business

Babachir put government money in his personal business
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by Kusetic(m): 7:36am On Jan 31, 2019
MrSix:

This is what I have been saying to those saying kadaria was biased. She kept having to ask what PDP would do differently.
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by abbakacici: 7:40am On Jan 31, 2019
MaxNdu:

I think the right questions are, "is the money still available to the State" and "is the investment productive and yielding returns". If yes to these questions I don't see anything wrong with such.
This is the only man in the history of Nigeria that has taken State money and doubled it for the State. Others we know, will squander it on some useless and unproductive investment.
actually is wrong using people money to grow your family business is the same as collecting kick back for contractor
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by MarianaTrench: 7:41am On Jan 31, 2019
otipoju:

My intepretation of his explanation

The Brewery offered Peter Obi a 15 percent personal stake in the company but he declined in order to avoid conflict of interest and suggested an alternative course of action.

He invested in his capacity as governor and custodian of the states finances on behalf of Anambra state, in Anambra states name, to 30 million dollars in International Breweries. Which was a ten percent of the company shares.

On his suggestion, the International Breweries then sold 5 percent shares which is15 million dollars to his parents company which he allowed since he had no personal involvement in equity or oversight in the company. Therefore his parents company coughed out 15 million dollars out of pocket to invest in the venture.

So at the end of the day, he did not invest Anambra state funds in his parents business...
...Except it can be proved with evidence that Anambra state borrowed or gave his parents the 15 million dollars to buy a 5 per cent stake in International Breweries...then that will be wrong.

Twas a risk and they could have lost their money.

If other state governments can take a cue from this and invest state funds in private business, i am sure they will be less inclined to tax those companies to death

I have Big 4 audit experience...whenever you see convoluted shareholding structure such as this just be sure there is some fraud involved somewhere
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by DMerciful(m): 7:41am On Jan 31, 2019
Where did they get the money to buy a bank when before Bubu became president they were looking for N2000 to travel to Kaduna!
rusher14:

But against the law.

It means you are using state money to enrich yourself.

It's funny how you might think it's ok but when an unsubstantiated story of a relative of Buhari bought a distressed bank, many of your brought your daggers out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by otokx(m): 7:46am On Jan 31, 2019
A lot of Nigerian business men are politically exposed and got benefits from the government which are not readily available to others.

Corruption aka conflict of interests is the culture of Nigeria.
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by Abagworo(m): 7:47am On Jan 31, 2019
The highest scammer ever.
Re: Obi Questioned On Why He Invested $30m State Funds In Company Where His Family.. by ItsMeAboki(m): 7:50am On Jan 31, 2019
No wonder the corruption index of this country has not changed; just see how this self confessed bribe taker's mindset works; he is quite at ease with such illegality and actually believes it is quite normal to enrich his family and that there is no conflict of interest there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Senate Shut Down As Security Agencies Lay Siege On Presiding Officers Homes / Why Biafra Should Remain In Nigeria – Osinbajo / Olusegun Obasanjo Dances & Exercises To Keep Himself Fit (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.