Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad (14194 Views)

2019/2020 Nigerian Mathematics & Sciences Olympiad Results For All States / 2017/18 Nigerian Mathematics and Sciences Olympiads (First Round Results) / Nigerian Science & Mathematics Olympiad Past Questions: Free Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:04pm On Feb 23, 2019
MathsEconomics:
General problem:
I know the answer to this as an identity.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:05pm On Feb 23, 2019
General Problem:
Prove that there is no power of 2 that when you rearrange its digits forms another power of 2.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:12pm On Feb 23, 2019
Darivie04:

Seems straightforward...

What's straightforward? Finding the range of expressions is never a straightforward task, however, I'll like to see your "straightforward" approach.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:13pm On Feb 23, 2019
Darivie04:

I know the answer to this as an identity.

Can you prove the identity?
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 23, 2019
MathsEconomics:

What's straightforward? Finding the range of expressions is never a straightforward task, however, I'll like to see your "straightforward" approach.
All combinations of a and b constitutes the function's domain. Knowing that, its clear to find its range.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:09pm On Feb 23, 2019
Darivie04:

All combinations of a and b constitutes the function's domain. Knowing that, its clear to find its range.

Range is quite different from domain, note also domain D of a function is the subset D of real numbers for which that particular function is defined.

To find domain, all you need to study is study the function and determine the set of n-tuples of Real numbers for which that function is meaningless.

On the other hand, to find the range, it suffices to study the function analytically, using several tools from Algebra to find the extremal values of the function concerned and prove that for am appropriate n-tuple such extremal values are possible.

Range is a more difficult task.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Queenmark: 7:14pm On Feb 23, 2019
Good evening, please I need a tutor in Abuja. Someone that understand maths especially maths
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 23, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Range is quite different from domain, note also domain D of a function is the subset D of real numbers for which that particular function is defined.

To find domain, all you need to study is study the function and determine the set of n-tuples of Real numbers for which that function is meaningless.

On the other hand, to find the range, it suffices to study the function analytically, using several tools from Algebra to find the extremal values of the function concerned and prove that for am appropriate n-tuple such extremal values are possible.

Range is a more difficult task.
I'm not arguing whether range is more difficult to find than domain.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 03, 2019
Darivie04:
General Problem:
Prove that there is no power of 2 that when you rearrange its digits forms another power of 2.

It's not possible.
The key to the solution is observe that all natural numbers are congruent to the sum of their digits modulo 9.
Since all powers of 2 must be even, their difference must as well be even.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 03, 2019
I decided to type my solution.

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 03, 2019
I gave this problem to my students in ss1 as assignment.

The number 3.15, it's integer part is 3 and it's fractional part is 0.15, use this knowledge to solve the given problem. (For Everyone).

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:27pm On Mar 03, 2019
MathsEconomics:
I decided to type my solution.

Your right that its not possible but the proof is wrong at the part when you say the permutations of a power of 2 are even.
Counterexample:
2^9=512 but 521 isn't even.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 03, 2019
MathsEconomics:
I gave this problem to my students in ss1 as assignment.

The number 3.15, it's integer part is 3 and it's fractional part is 0.15, use this knowledge to solve the given problem. (For Everyone).

I got 26.43 but I approximated a lot. I think the answer is 26.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 03, 2019
Please can anyone suggest an introductory text for combinatorial geometry?
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by WinningEleven(m): 6:30pm On Mar 03, 2019
shocked
I've never seen this kind of maths all my life shocked
What sorcery is this?
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 03, 2019
Darivie04:

Your right that its not possible but the proof is wrong at the part when you say the permutations of a power of 2 are even.
Counterexample:
2^9=512 but 521 isn't even.

No, there's no error in my proof. I assumed that B must be even, there are many possible ways to permute a power of 2, but out of those possibilities, we only need to consider the case where the given permutation results to an even number.
We are asked to find a power of 2 from which the digits we get from the permutation of its digits is also a power of 2, clearly this given digit we get from the permutation can never be odd since if it was odd, it cannot never be a power of 2 since all powers of 2 are even.
So there is no loss in generality in assuming that the given number B must be even.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 03, 2019
Darivie04:
Please can anyone suggest an introductory text for combinatorial geometry?
I can send you good books on this subject. However, it's prerequisites are quite great.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 03, 2019
Darivie04:

I got 26.43 but I approximated a lot. I think the answer is 26.

Let me see your solution.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:33pm On Mar 05, 2019
MathsEconomics:

No, there's no error in my proof. I assumed that B must be even, there are many possible ways to permute a power of 2, but out of those possibilities, we only need to consider the case where the given permutation results to an even number.
We are asked to find a power of 2 from which the digits we get from the permutation of its digits is also a power of 2, clearly this given digit we get from the permutation can never be odd since if it was odd, it cannot never be a power of 2 since all powers of 2 are even.
So there is no loss in generality in assuming that the given number B must be even.
Oh I see...
That's a very beautiful solution grin
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 05, 2019
General Problem:
Difficulty level: JSS3

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 05, 2019
General Problem
Difficulty level: SS2
Topic: Number Theory.

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 05, 2019
MathsEconomics:

I can send you good books on this subject. However, it's prerequisites are quite great.

The two books I have on the topic have references to abstract algebra and analysis which I haven't yet studied. One of them is "Excursion into Combinatorial Geometry" and the other one was partly written by Pankaj K. Agarwal. Both of them seem like advanced books on the topic cause they both lack definitions and introductions to foremost things like a convex hull, which I assume to be one of the most basic concepts are missing from this books.

So I would really like to see your books but I lack a lot of prerequisites.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 05, 2019
Darivie04:

The two books I have on the topic have references to abstract algebra and analysis which I haven't yet studied. One of them is "Excursion into Combinatorial Geometry" and the other one was partly written by Pankaj K. Agarwal. Both of them seem like advanced books on the topic cause they both lack definitions and introductions to foremost things like a convex hull, which I assume to be one of the most basic concepts are missing from this books.

So I would really like to see your books but I lack a lot of prerequisites.

I think those books are graduate level books as Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis are not prerequisites for the Olympiad.

Don't try to delve into Combinatorial Geometry now, first of all try to cover Combinatorics, Graph Theory, Algebra and Geometry and make sure you're comfortable with them before delving into monsters like
Combinatorial Geometry
Combinatorial Number Theory
Combinatorial Game Theory.

Note, these are also Olympiad topics.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 05, 2019
WinningEleven:
shocked
I've never seen this kind of maths all my life shocked
What sorcery is this?

This is real math. Most of the math done from sec school just involves applying repetitive procedures or formulas which isn't really math. And even if in some sense it is, it doesn't really show the essence of math which is thinking and creativity.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 5:03pm On Mar 05, 2019
MathsEconomics:

I think those books are graduate level books as Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis are not prerequisites for the Olympiad.

Don't try to delve into Combinatorial Geometry now, first of all try to cover Combinatorics, Graph Theory, Algebra and Geometry and make sure you're comfortable with them before delving into monsters like
Combinatorial Geometry

OK, I'll do that...

It was originally this question that sparked my interest in the topic.

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 05, 2019
angry angry angry

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know most of these topics by name but no fuçking time to dust them!!!

angry
sh*t

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 05, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Combinatorial Geometry

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Help a soul..... Most of these stuffs are extremely time consuming... Also, there are lots and lots of branches in mathematics.... tons of them I don't which to delve into... I need to go into programming.... ASAP

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by graccce: 7:43pm On Mar 05, 2019
Pls my pple in economics department do they have mathematics course separately. Thank some should quote me.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:01am On Mar 06, 2019
OrestesDante:

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Help a soul..... Most of these stuffs are extremely time consuming... Also, there are lots and lots of branches in mathematics.... tons of them I don't which to delve into... I need to go into programming.... ASAP

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Then go and do programming naw undecided
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 1:54pm On Mar 09, 2019
MathsEconomics:
General Problem
Difficulty level: SS2
Topic: Number Theory.
Been going at this question since...
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 09, 2019
Darivie04:

This is real math. Most of the math done from sec school just involves applying repetitive procedures or formulas which isn't really math. And even if in some sense it is, it doesn't really show the essence of math which is thinking and creativity.
are you a mathematics undergraduate?
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Martinez39(m): 12:10am On Mar 10, 2019
Darivie04:

I didn't find it cheap sha probably because I'm still learning. Our poor standing in the IMO can be attributed to many things. Math is our country is majorly centered on speed and doesn't encourage anything outside the mainstream school math syllabus. Cowbellpedia isn't helping matters. Its sad to say its the prominent math competition in our country. When I talk to my fellow math inclined classmates they are usually preparing for Cowbellpedia and see Olympiads as "its not part of our syllabus". So when our most popular math competition Cowbell is mediocre our students too will be mediocre cause of course why do I have to crack my brain with olympiad math when they can possibly get millions from Cowbell which only requires me to answer easy questions in a short amount of time.

Meanwhile in US they have MATHCOUNTS which is for middle school(junior secondary) that asks tougher questions than senior section of Cowbell. Its clear why these countries outperform us in on the international
stage.

I also attribute a lot of the cause of our bad performance in IMO to the type of teachers we have here in Nigeria.
Exactly!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

School Of Nursing Form Now Out Register Now / No Evidence Of Full Vaccination No Entry To Our Facility - JAMB / Gateway Poly Igbesa Admissions 2012/2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.