Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,837 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad (14138 Views)

2019/2020 Nigerian Mathematics & Sciences Olympiad Results For All States / 2017/18 Nigerian Mathematics and Sciences Olympiads (First Round Results) / Nigerian Science & Mathematics Olympiad Past Questions: Free Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 31, 2019
I welcome all Mathematics Olympiad enthusiasts to this thread.
Let us devote this thread to solving and training ourselves on Olympiad style problems.

The Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad is an annual Mathematics competition to select students that'd be able to represent Nigeria at the Almighty International Mathematics Olympiad (The world cup of Mathematics).
The International Mathematics Olympiad lasts for two days in which contestants are to solve 3 problems for 4 hours, 30minutes each day, each problem is worth 7points making it a total of 7x6= 42 points a contestant can obtain.

The Mathematics Olympiad is known for its difficulty, although it's for secondary school students, most of the topics you're expected to master to do well in it are not even taught at secondary and university levels.

As a contestant you are tested on the following branches of Mathematics

1. Algebra
2. Combinatorics
3. Geometry
4. Number Theory..

You are free to drop problems on this thread from those topics listed above and I and other able members of this forum shall try our best to solve it for you.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 31, 2019
MathsEconomics:
I welcome all Mathematics Olympiad enthusiasts to this thread.
Let us devote this thread to solving and training ourselves on Olympiad style problems.

The Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad is an annual Mathematics competition to select students that'd be able to represent Nigeria at the Almighty International Mathematics Olympiad (The world cup of Mathematics).
The International Mathematics Olympiad lasts for two days in which contestants are to solve 3 problems for 4 hours, 30minutes each day, each problem is worth 7points making it a total of 7x6= 42 points a contestant can obtain.

The Mathematics Olympiad is known for its difficulty, although it's for secondary school students, most of the topics you're expected to master to do well in it are not even taught at secondary and university levels.

As a contestant you are tested on the following branches of Mathematics

1. Algebra
2. Combinatorics
3. Geometry
4. Number Theory..

You are free to drop problems on this thread from those topics listed above and I and other able members of this forum shall try our best to solve it for you.
Cool...

But the IMO is only the world cup of high school math na grin.

Wish more people were interested tho.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 05, 2019
This was in a recent math olympiad competition held in Abuja. Compute this sum(without a calculator)

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 06, 2019
Darivie04:
This was in a recent math olympiad competition held in Abuja. Compute this sum(without a calculator)

The problem is quite easy, Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad problems are always cheap and that is why our team perform terrible when they go for the main even.(check IMO website).

I will solve this problem when I get home.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by annoy1(m): 7:49pm On Feb 06, 2019
Darivie04:
kukuma kill me
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 12:32am On Feb 07, 2019
My solution.

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 07, 2019
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 3:57pm On Feb 07, 2019
MathsEconomics:

The problem is quite easy, Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad problems are always cheap and that is why our team perform terrible when they go for the main even.(check IMO website).

I will solve this problem when I get home.

I didn't find it cheap sha probably because I'm still learning. Our poor standing in the IMO can be attributed to many things. Math is our country is majorly centered on speed and doesn't encourage anything outside the mainstream school math syllabus. Cowbellpedia isn't helping matters. Its sad to say its the prominent math competition in our country. When I talk to my fellow math inclined classmates they are usually preparing for Cowbellpedia and see Olympiads as "its not part of our syllabus". So when our most popular math competition Cowbell is mediocre our students too will be mediocre cause of course why do I have to crack my brain with olympiad math when they can possibly get millions from Cowbell which only requires me to answer easy questions in a short amount of time.

Meanwhile in US they have MATHCOUNTS which is for middle school(junior secondary) that asks tougher questions than senior section of Cowbell. Its clear why these countries outperform us in on the international
stage.

I also attribute a lot of the cause of our bad performance in IMO to the type of teachers we have here in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 09, 2019
Olympiad is for those that wants to top notch Mathematicians.
Just imagine, at 18-23 you're already solving complex problems in fields like
Functional equations
Enumerative Combinatorics
Combinatorial Number Theory
Combinatorial Game Theory
Projective and Complex Geometry
Number Theory, and
Classical inequalities.

So you better start early and train yourself on this style of Mathematics. It's challenging but highly rewarding.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 09, 2019
MathsEconomics:
Olympiad is for those that wants to top notch Mathematicians.
Just imagine, at 18-23 you're already solving complex problems in fields like
Functional equations
Enumerative Combinatorics
Combinatorial Number Theory
Combinatorial Game Theory
Projective and Complex Geometry
Number Theory, and
Classical inequalities.

So you better start early and train yourself on this style of Mathematics. It's challenging but highly rewarding.
I love mathematics bro,but our syllabus is so mediocre..... Chai.......me never even hear of all this topics sha.....but do you know these topics very well?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 8:07pm On Feb 09, 2019
futurist369:
I love mathematics bro,but our syllabus is so mediocre..... Chai.......me never even hear of all this topics sha.....but do you know these topics very well?

I train students for Mathematics Olympiad.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by ovis374(m): 7:57am On Feb 10, 2019
MathsEconomics:

I train students for Mathematics Olympiad.
Are u on WhatsApp bro...I need your contact
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 8:23am On Feb 10, 2019
futurist369:
Our syllabus carries all the necessary exams that students need for national and foreign examinations and is similar to that of other countries.

This topics aren't included because like 98% of math teachers don't really know about them. Our syllabus is already full and these topics are not necessary for the goal of sec. schools which is to prepare one for exam to enter university.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 10, 2019
Darivie04:

Our syllabus carries all the necessary exams that students need for national and foreign examinations and is similar to that of other countries.

This topics aren't included because like 98% of math teachers don't really know about them. Our syllabus is already full and these topics are not necessary for the goal of sec. schools which is to prepare one for exam to enter university.

Do you know that in Phillips Exeter Academy, Number Theory and Combinatorics is being taught as a subject along with Advanced trigonometry and Geometry and that most of their students are Olympiad Gold medalists?
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 10, 2019
ovis374:

Are u on WhatsApp bro...I need your contact

I shall give you my contact but I just need you to convince me on why I should.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 10:15am On Feb 10, 2019
Here's a problem for everyone.

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by ozonlayer001: 10:41am On Feb 10, 2019
nice one
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by ovis374(m): 1:12pm On Feb 10, 2019
MathsEconomics:

I shall give you my contact but I just need you to convince me on why I should.

also love solving Olympiad maths questions...I also have a lot to learn from you
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:14pm On Feb 13, 2019
MathsEconomics:
Here's a problem for everyone.

I have a solution to this. I'm meant to represent M in terms of p and q right?
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 7:41pm On Feb 13, 2019
Darivie04:

Of course.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 7:42pm On Feb 13, 2019
Darivie04:

Please edit before quoting.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Ikennablue(m): 9:47pm On Feb 13, 2019
I love this thread. Am also a big fan of mathematics but i will pick programming over it anytime. I consider programming to be more rewarding
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 11:28pm On Feb 13, 2019
Ikennablue:
I love this thread. Am also a big fan of mathematics but i will pick programming over it anytime. I consider programming to be more rewarding

A well grounded knowledge in Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Number Theory will make you a world class programmer. Quote me anywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 14, 2019
Here it is...

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 14, 2019
General hint.

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 11:47am On Feb 14, 2019
Darivie04:
Here it is...

Nice Solution.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 11:48am On Feb 14, 2019
General problem:

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 14, 2019
MathsEconomics:
General hint.

Should have used this. Just somehow forgot I could just square it.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 4:55am On Feb 15, 2019
MathsEconomics:
General problem:

Is the binomial expansion inside the sum itself?
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 8:28am On Feb 15, 2019
Darivie04:

Is the binomial expansion inside the sum itself?

Here's the sum without the summation notation.

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 10:42am On Feb 16, 2019
Here's an assignment I gave my ss1 students in Wednesday to submit next week Monday.

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 23, 2019
MathsEconomics:
Here's an assignment I gave my ss1 students in Wednesday to submit next week Monday.
Seems straightforward...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yabatech Part Time Newly Admitted Student Should Come In / Logos International Secondary School, Awomama Imo State / Cross River Varsity Shutdown Over Killing Of Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.