Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,938 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad (14197 Views)

2019/2020 Nigerian Mathematics & Sciences Olympiad Results For All States / 2017/18 Nigerian Mathematics and Sciences Olympiads (First Round Results) / Nigerian Science & Mathematics Olympiad Past Questions: Free Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 10, 2019
futurist369:
are you a mathematics undergraduate?

SS1 student.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 10, 2019
Darivie04:

SS1 student.
are you serious or you're joking? If you're saying the truth,then you are lucky to have been exposed to such level of mathematics
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 10, 2019
futurist369:
are you serious or you're joking? If you're saying the truth,then you are lucky to have been exposed to such level of mathematics

Na, I even feel I started too late. Which I had started earlier.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 10, 2019
Darivie04:

OK, I'll do that...

It was originally this question that sparked my interest in the topic.

This problem belongs to Geometric Inequalities, of course, Combinatorial arguments can help.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 11:09pm On Mar 10, 2019
graccce:
Pls my pple in economics department do they have mathematics course separately. Thank some should quote me.

I'm doing Mathematics and Economics. I take courses from Economics and Mathematics department simultaneously. However, if you're studying just "Economics" you'll never take any course from Mathematics department. Although you'll do Mathematics, it would be from Economics department and it would general be called "Introduction to Quantitive Methods" or "Mathematics for Econonomists".

Note because most Microeconomics course involve a lot of Mathematics.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 11:13pm On Mar 10, 2019
Darivie04:

Been going at this question since...

Keep trying.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by graccce: 3:37pm On Mar 11, 2019
[quote author=MathsEconomics post=76540619]

I'm doing Mathematics and Economics. I take courses from Economics and Mathematics department simultaneously. However, if you're studying just "Economics" you'll never take any course from Mathematics department. Although you'll do Mathematics, it would be from Economics department and it would general be called "Introduction to Quantitive Methods" or "Mathematics for Econonomists".

Note because most Microeconomics course involve a lot of Mathematics.[/quote
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 11, 2019
graccce:

Thanks alot,,this really calm my nerves but honestly I'm not too good mathematics, hope I can cope.. Pls what do u advice. Thanks

You have to do something about your Mathematics skills because from your 100level to 400level, you shall have to meet Mathematics every semester you spend in school.
If you neglect Mathematics, you'll definitely struggle in school, ask any Economics student, a lot of Mathematics is required for that course.

Some of the Maths topics you shall meet in school includes Linear Algebra, Calculus, Operations Research, Statistics, etc.

Economics is becoming Mathematical as a discipline and courses like Microeconomics contains a lot of Mathematics. Econometrics is purely Mathematics and Statistics combined to tackle problems in Economics.

You can download good books and brush yourself up a bit before you resume school. I can help with the few soft copies I have (09032151495).

Don't quote my mobile number.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by graccce: 9:37pm On Mar 11, 2019
MathsEconomics:

You have to do something about your Mathematics skills because from your 100level to 400level, you shall have to meet Mathematics every semester you spend in school.
If you neglect Mathematics, you'll definitely struggle in school, ask any Economics student, a lot of Mathematics is required for that course.

Some of the Maths topics you shall meet in school includes Linear Algebra, Calculus, Operations Research, Statistics, etc.

Economics is becoming Mathematical as a discipline and courses like Microeconomics contains a lot of Mathematics. Econometrics is purely Mathematics and Statistics combined to tackle problems in Economics.

You can download good books and brush yourself up a bit before you resume school. I can help with the few soft copies I have (09032151495).

Thanks alot.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 12, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Your doing math and economics which means your going into something like quantitative finance right?
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 12:41pm On Mar 12, 2019
MathsEconomics:
General Problem
Difficulty level: SS2
Topic: Number Theory.

If a and b are even numbers there is a contradiction cause a^n+b^n is also an even number and therefore has 2 as a prime divisor. 2 can never be written in the for 2nk+1 if n and k are integers.

I might be wrong somewhere though, would be happy for someone to point out where.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 1:10pm On Mar 12, 2019
Darivie04:

Your doing math and economics which means your going into something like quantitative finance right?

I want to specialize in Econometrics, Game Theory and Combinatorics/Graph Theory.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 1:17pm On Mar 12, 2019
Darivie04:

If a and b are even numbers there is a contradiction cause a^n+b^n is also an even number and therefore has 2 as a prime divisor. 2 can never be written in the for 2nk+1 if n and k are integers.

I might be wrong somewhere though, would be happy for someone to point out where.

The problem asserts nothing on the parity of a and b. So there's no contradiction. However, the condition given in the problem is 2. So even if one is false, the other may still be true.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 12, 2019
MathsEconomics:

The problem asserts nothing on the parity of a and b. So there's no contradiction. However, the condition given in the problem is 2. So even if one is false, the other may still be true.

Are you referring to the two conditions given for k?

And I assumed that since the question said a and b are natural numbers that whatever two natural numbers I put for a and b as long as a>b the question statement should be true(true for all natural numbers). But then when a and b are two positive even numbers the question statement isn't true(not true for all natural numbers) which is the contradiction I talked about.

Or am I supposed to modify the question a little ?
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 12, 2019
Darivie04:

Are you referring to the two conditions given for k?

And I assumed that since the question said a and b are natural numbers that whatever two natural numbers I put for a and b as long as a>b the question statement should be true(true for all natural numbers). But then when a and b are two positive even numbers the question statement isn't true(not true for all natural numbers) which is the contradiction I talked about.

Or am I supposed to modify the question a little ?

There's nothing to modify here.

Read the problem again. The condition given in this problem is 2. It asserts that if A doesn't hold, then B must hold.

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 16, 2019
MathsEconomics:

There's nothing to modify here.

Read the problem again. The condition given in this problem is 2. It asserts that if A doesn't hold, then B must hold.

I understand the problem but haven't still made much progress. I would like to see the solution tho
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 16, 2019
Darivie04:

I understand the problem but haven't still made much progress. I would like to see the solution tho

On second thought I think I'm getting somewhere...
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 18, 2019
Open problem

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 6:47am On Jul 18, 2019
Polynomial equations

Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 19, 2019
MathsEconomics:
Open problem
I'm yet to study functional equation but I can see that f(0)=0
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 01, 2019
MathsEconomics:
Polynomial equations
If by P^2(X) you mean P(P(X)) then P(X) = -2 is the only solution. If by P^2(X) you mean (P(X))^2 then no solution exists.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 02, 2019
Darivie04:

If by P^2(X) you mean P(P(X)) then P(X) = -2 is the only solution. If by P^2(X) you mean (P(X))^2 then no solution exists.

None of your answers are correct but I actually mean the square of the polynomial and not the composition.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Darivie03: 5:32pm On Aug 02, 2019
MathsEconomics:

None of your answers are correct but I actually mean the square of the polynomial and not the composition.
Post your solution then.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by naturalwaves: 6:11pm On Aug 04, 2019
Kudos o.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Novellex(f): 11:28am On Sep 29, 2020
how can you be contacted?

I train students for Mathematics Olympiad.
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by cosmos2000(m): 5:26pm On Nov 02, 2020
[quote author=Novellex post=94430080][/quote]

Please I need your help..
Dm 08115764007
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by cosmos2000(m): 5:33pm On Nov 02, 2020

I'm yet to study functional equation but I can see that f(0)=0

Under what topic is function equation
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Astromath(m): 12:10pm On Jan 10, 2022
Hello smileyHello
Re: Nigerian Mathematics Olympiad by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 05, 2022
My solution.
Nice

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gateway Poly Igbesa Admissions 2012/2013 / Unilorin Lecturers To Teach From Homes By 2014 - Registrar / JAMB Sanctions Officials For Asking Female Student To Remove Her Hijab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.