Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,634 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos (42483 Views)

FCT Policemen Disguised As NEPA Officials Searched My Home For Working From Home / Woman Stabbed To Death While Separating Church Members Fighting At A Crusade / Residents Beat IBEDC Staff For Trying To Disconnect Their Light. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by wirinet(m): 11:52pm On Jan 31, 2019
franzis:
some boys in my hood tried this nonsense with phcn , na so phcn comot transformer fuse waka for almost 3 weeks we no see light na only sorrounding streets come get light
These things happens because most Nigerians do not know their rights apart from the collapsed justice system.
If you are not owning and they disconnect your power as punishment for offenses you know nothing about, you sue their ass and even receive compensation. That is what is obtained in sane societies.

They tried that shit in my former estate, and some lawyers threatened to sue their ass. Sharp sharp, the connected the fuses.

1 Like

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by wirinet(m): 11:54pm On Jan 31, 2019
Paentera:

Trespass is not an excuse for assault and battery especially when there are no weapons in sight to qualify for self defence.

If someone trespasses your house or compound, the law allows you to remove that person using all necessary means.

2 Likes

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by hardbody: 12:09am On Feb 01, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

How do u know how much to pay? N do they issue receipt for such, if yes, how will u get it? Also, how will those guys that walk around be able to know that you have paid?

Apology if the questions seem much, I'll really like to know. Thanks

I had some huge backlog of about 160k. After several meetings and consultations that yielded no positive result, i cleared that amount. Then started paying 5k every month. My bill hovers around 3 to 4k every month.

I pay straight to ikeja electric company online, and sometimes I chat with them online. I get my bills online and like I stated earlier, the bill shows i am on positive and i put it outside my gate. Sometimes I print out the chat i had with their people online. In those chats i ask specific questions that elicit answers that clears all doubts. I have not had any interface with the rogues carrying ladder and they don't bother with my house again. When i print out the bills and my conversation on chat, i staple them all together but i circle the areas that support my position. In the chat i ask questions like, how much was my last month's bill, have you seen the amount I just paid online, what is now my current balance, once they say it's a credit of Nx. I print that out and attach to the online bill which I have already printed and leave it outside. Interestingly the phcn staff no longer even bother to check.

Meanwhile when you pay online, receipts are generated and you can print that out. I usually print and attach to the bill they generated. When we did not have light for like 2 weeks, i also had that conversation online and they assured that there will be no billing for those weeks and it seems my bill dropped for that period.

2 Likes

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by hardbody: 12:21am On Feb 01, 2019
wirinet:

If someone trespasses your house or compound, the law allows you to remove that person using all necessary means.

Legal and reasonable means, not all possible means.
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by ikorodureporta: 12:27am On Feb 01, 2019
Thoz nepa boys wey like bribe pass their life
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by EdwardRandy(m): 12:37am On Feb 01, 2019
Davash222:
Me I dey sharpen my cutlass dey wait for them since two days now.
Lol...Just two days and you're complaining?
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by 9jaRealist: 1:08am On Feb 01, 2019
Nigerians stealing electricity since 1960...

In a country of supposedly almost 200 million citizens (of course we don’t really know how many we really are), there are only about 6 million registered electricity consumers, and even then the military and the government MDAs steadfastly refuse to settle their bills. There are actually entire estates in Nigeria with illegal connections to the public grid. Anyway, it’s perhaps poetic justice for those insiders who rushed to grab the privatized DISCOs based on a misguided notion that it will be like GSM telephony.

Meanwhile, why beat up innocent foot soldiers at the bottom of the corporate pyramid who are merely doing their job rather than the suits in the corporate suites who set policies, send the bills and make enforcement (including disconnection) decisions? This is pretty much the same reason that violent protests are usually confined to the Mainland in Lagos and virtually never in the elite districts of Ikoyi or VI. SMH

2 Likes

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by 9jaRealist: 1:15am On Feb 01, 2019
wirinet:

They are NOT trespassing.

The law allows access to public utility staff (same with emergency personnel). Furthermore, standard utility contracts would provide for reasonable access to the connected property for purposes related thereto (repairs, meter-reading, disconnection, re-connection, etc.).

1 Like

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by 9jaRealist: 1:26am On Feb 01, 2019
wirinet:

These things happens because most Nigerians do not know their rights apart from the collapsed justice system.
If you are not owning and they disconnect your power as punishment for offenses you know nothing about, you sue their ass and even receive compensation. That is what is obtained in sane societies.

They tried that shit in my former estate, and some lawyers threatened to sue their ass. Sharp sharp, the connected the fuses.

Never gonna happen.

First, if you go to court on a civil matter in Nigeria, you are looking at about an average of 3 years if you are lucky. The process are laid down by the regulator (NERC) is that if you are provided a bill and/or notice of disconnection that you dispute, you can pay a portion of the disputed bill and the DISCO cannot disconnect services to you until the dispute is heard and resolved one way or another. The reality is that many Nigerians simply disregard the bills/notices sent to them, because under NEPA/PHCN nothing is likely to happen and in the events the service folks actually show up to disconnect they can usually be ‘settled’!
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by Mullahalways2: 2:07am On Feb 01, 2019
They should be arrested. This is iberibe

1 Like

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by Karemarealty288(m): 4:10am On Feb 01, 2019
Karemarealty288:
I don faint .... grin
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by Jerryojozy(m): 4:32am On Feb 01, 2019
Edojoma:

u r right bro,,, av really missed dat nigga,,,,, Seun pls we need NwaAikpe,,,, funny dude
Seriously. Lalas has to do something o

Genius J

1 Like

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by frikmon: 7:40am On Feb 01, 2019
Walahi the people i hate in this country are Nepa and Police..they deserve a lot of beating anytime they do injustice to people..thank you madam for giving the foolish Nepa man what he deserved.
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by CaesarDon(m): 7:42am On Feb 01, 2019
Very violent and stupid family I must say omg shocked the most annoying part of the video is the part when she breaks something on the guys head but the lady recording says don't hit a woman

1 Like

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by mustafa006: 7:44am On Feb 01, 2019
kufre2010:
Retired Lt. Gen. Theophilous Danjuma yesterday asked the people of Middle-Belt, South-West, South-South & South-East to forget all about 2019 Elections but to first fight back the Fulani murderous invaders and reclaim their lands which are now under Fulani occupation.

General Danjuma stated unambiguously that President Buhari is the direct founder and sponsor of Miyetti Allah and had concluded plans to provide safe heavens for all West African Fulanis in the entire SOUTH and the MIDDLE BELT. He made it clear that War had already been declared, going by the spate of relentless killings here and there, lamenting that helpless victims are predominantly Christians.

The retired General warned that Buhari has used Tinubu to divide South-West and that plans are underway to overrun Yoruba Kingdom and make them subordinate to Hausa-Fulani Oligarchy.

He equally lamented that from secrets file obtained, the conquest of Yoruba would commence as soon as they are through with Middle-Belt reqions. And that soonest they take hostage of Yoruba, their brothers from Sudan, Guinea, and other West African descent would combine to fight South-East and South-South.

Danjuma regretted that while the rest of Middle Belt and South are under invasion led by Army Chief of Staff, Lt. Gen. Buratai, our politicians are playing to the gallery, giving Buhari all necessary supports.

Danjuma opined that at present the Presidency has been taken over by Miyetti Allah and has vowed to retain Buhari in power even if it means shedding the blood of any opposition. Stating that should the people fail to rise now and put an end to this, either you are a moslem after 2019 or in Exile.
Sai! BaaaaBaaaaaaaaaa! sai! Buhaaaaaaaari!
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by Tizu(m): 7:46am On Feb 01, 2019
Smooyis:
Ikeja electric disco is useless. I hate inefficiency. Those customers must have been frustrated cool shocked shocked

They didn't beat them very well. Were there no objects to use and break their heads. Ikeja Electric are armed robbers and should be treated like thieves.
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by york50: 7:47am On Feb 01, 2019
grin grin the meme on this post are so funny.. enjoy
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by AkupeMBANO(m): 7:54am On Feb 01, 2019
grayht:
Phcn will retaliate by disconnecting their service wire, removing the electric pole / analogue metre and the neighborhoods transformer!!!
Gerout
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by calyto: 8:27am On Feb 01, 2019
Very good.

Ikeja electric are know for bad behavior.
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by nickxtra(m): 9:12am On Feb 01, 2019
xynerise:
I thought the senate is talking about stopping NEPA from disconnecting light until Prepaid meter is shared?
The house of Representatives have passed the bill, while it's awaiting for Senate's concurrence and then to the President for his assent. I just hope the Senate will do this speedily before handing over
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by Nobody: 9:20am On Feb 01, 2019
AkupeMBANO:

Gerout

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by kabillionaire(m): 2:30pm On Feb 01, 2019
wirinet:

Which duty are they carrying out? Is it their duty to steal from ordinary suffering Nigerians?
You must be a staff of one of those criminal Disco companies.
Give meters, dem no gree. Provide regular power, babu. But at the end of the month they bring outrageous estimated bills. The worst is that a few days after bringing criminal bills, they would be carrying ladder up and down threatening you with disconnection, even though NERC has given them guidelines for disconnecting customers. Notice must be given before disconnecting a customer, but these criminals would come when no one is at home and just disconnect without notice.

If you know the amount of fraud these Discos are perpetuating, you will advocate for them to be given the China treatment.

Nothing but the truth!
I once worked with NEPA, PHCN or whatever, if you know what these power companies (DISCOs) do to steal from Nigerians.
Capturing moments like these and uploading it online is their tactics now, and in most case, they cause the fight.
The always insists on disconnecting because of the disconnection fee, that's where the "HELPERS" gets their bread since they're not receiving salaries.
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by blank(f): 3:54pm On Feb 01, 2019
Carlmax:

IKEDC staff spotted.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by wirinet(m): 4:24pm On Feb 01, 2019
9jaRealist:

Nigerians stealing electricity since 1960...

In a country of supposedly almost 200 million citizens (of course we don’t really know how many we really are), there are only about 6 million registered electricity consumers, and even then the military and the government MDAs steadfastly refuse to settle their bills. There are actually entire estates in Nigeria with illegal connections to the public grid. Anyway, it’s perhaps poetic justice for those insiders who rushed to grab the privatized DISCOs based on a misguided notion that it will be like GSM telephony.

Meanwhile, why beat up innocent foot soldiers at the bottom of the corporate pyramid who are merely doing their job rather than the suits in the corporate suites who set policies, send the bills and make enforcement (including disconnection) decisions? This is pretty much the same reason that violent protests are usually confined to the Mainland in Lagos and virtually never in the elite districts of Ikoyi or VI. SMH

Some Nigerians stealing electricity since 1960, not all Nigerians. I have never stolen electricity.

What concerns ordinary Nigerians with MDAs, Nigerians should not be punished for the sins of government officials, we are already paying enough through excessive looting.

If there are entire estate engaging in illegal connection, due process should be followed. In the alternative, the disco sue the estate for theft.

The foot soldiers are nothing but innocent. The foot soldiers are a chain in the extortion and blackmail syndicate called discos. The flout all NERC regulations and just disconnect customers without notice. One time my home was disconnected while at home without any warning or notice. At first I thought it was regular power outage until my neighbour told me NEPA is around.

The sadness of life in Nigeria is that the abnormal has now been accepted as the norm.
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by wirinet(m): 4:30pm On Feb 01, 2019
kabillionaire:

Nothing but the truth!
I once worked with NEPA, PHCN or whatever, if you know what these power companies (DISCOs) do to steal from Nigerians.
Capturing moments like these and uploading it online is their tactics now, and in most case, they cause the fight.
The always insists on disconnecting because of the disconnection fee, that's where the "HELPERS" gets their bread since they're not receiving salaries.

Don't mind the guy supporting corruption maybe because he is benefiting or has benefited.
I have been having running battles with NEPA, PHCN and now Ikeja Distribution for a long time. I hate being cheated and I hate to cheat. Right now, I have two cases with NERC, concerning the conduct of Ikeja distribution officials. One for my office and one for my home. The refuse to appear at the arbitration called by NERC.
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by wirinet(m): 4:36pm On Feb 01, 2019
9jaRealist:

They are NOT trespassing.

The law allows access to public utility staff (same with emergency personnel). Furthermore, standard utility contracts would provide for reasonable access to the connected property for purposes related thereto (repairs, meter-reading, disconnection, re-connection, etc.).

The keyword here is reasonable access. Reasonable access does not mean unfettered access.
My property is property and no one is allowed access without my permission, except with a valid court order.
NEPA has the power to disconnect the wire from the pole or even uproot the whole pole, but they do not have the rights to enter personal property without approval.
Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by 9jaRealist: 11:40pm On Feb 01, 2019
wirinet:

Some Nigerians stealing electricity since 1960, not all Nigerians. I have never stolen electricity.

What concerns ordinary Nigerians with MDAs, Nigerians should not be punished for the sins of government officials, we are already paying enough through excessive looting.

If there are entire estate engaging in illegal connection, due process should be followed. In the alternative, the disco sue the estate for theft.

The foot soldiers are nothing but innocent. The foot soldiers are a chain in the extortion and blackmail syndicate called discos. The flout all NERC regulations and just disconnect customers without notice. One time my home was disconnected while at home without any warning or notice. At first I thought it was regular power outage until my neighbour told me NEPA is around.

The sadness of life in Nigeria is that the abnormal has now been accepted as the norm.

Not sure if it’s a grammar deficit issue, but “some” Nigerians are still Nigerians (never said “all” Nigerians).

And I fully agree that the abnormal is now being regarded as normal in Nigeria to the extent that it is “abnormal” to think that electricity is free and/or to engage in large-scale electricity theft. Even more “abnormal” is the justification and validation of beating up INNOCENT workers. Even if following the tortured logic that these workers are somehow “not innocent” merely because they work in a company where they have no input on disconnection decisions nor indeed any other corporate decision, only “abnormal” folks think that the remedy for a simple economic dispute is crude and uncouth physical violence. SMH

1 Like

Re: Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos by 9jaRealist: 11:41pm On Feb 01, 2019
wirinet:

The keyword here is reasonable access. Reasonable access does not mean unfettered access.
My property is property and no one is allowed access without my permission, except with a valid court order.
NEPA has the power to disconnect the wire from the pole or even uproot the whole pole, but they do not have the rights to enter personal property without approval.

Dude, the legal definition of “reasonable access” is during normal business hours.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ochanya Rape: State Court Acquits Husband, Federal Court Convicts Wife Of Neglig / Skye Bank Manager Who Stole N200m, Gets N100k Fine / Kidnappers Now In Lagos: I Was Abducted On Long Bridge By Herdsmen - Driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.