Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,095 members, 7,814,847 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex (17510 Views)

Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex / Guidelines On Shaking Hands With Non-mahram / Is Chatting With Opposite Sex on Social media Khulwa That Is Prohibited? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by Lukgaf(m): 8:03am On Feb 01, 2019
Today, InshaAllah, we look at rulings regarding shaking hands with an opposite sex.

Without any equivocation, youths nowadays face this menace in their Universities, place of works and society at large. Therefore the thread seeks to answer the below question:

Is it allowable for a man to greet woman by hand shakes and vice versa? Enjoy reading

Praise be to Allaah.

For a man to shake hands with a non-mahram woman (one to whom he is not related) is haraam and is not permitted at all. Among the evidence for this is the hadeeth of Ma’qal ibn Yassaar (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘If one of you were to be struck in the head with an iron needle, it would be better for him than if he were to touch a woman he is not allowed to.”

(Reported by al-Tabaraani; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045).
There is no doubt that for a man to touch a non-mahram woman is one of the causes of fitnah (turmoil, temptation), provocation of desire and committing haraam deeds. No one should say that their intention is sound or their heart is clean, because the one who was the purest of heart and the most chaste of all, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never touched a non-mahram woman, even when accepting bay’ah (oath of allegiance) from women. He did not hold their hands when accepting their bay’ah, as he did with men; their bay’ah was by words only, as was reported by his wife ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her). She said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would test the believing women who emigrated to him with the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “O Prophet! When believeing women come to you to give you the bay’ah (pledge), that they will not associate anything in worship with Allaah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e., by making illegal children belong to their husbands), and that thye will not disobey you in any ma’ruf (Islamic monotheism and all that which Islam ordains), then accept their bay’ah and ask Allaah to forgive them. Verily Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [al-Mumtahinah 60:12] ‘Aa’ishah said: “So whoever of the believing women agreed to these conditions, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would say to her: ‘I have accepted your bay’ah by words.’ By Allaah, his hand never touched the hand of any woman when accepting their bay’ah; he accepted their bay’ah by saying ‘I have accepted your bay’ah on this basis.’”

(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 4512; according to another report: he accepted their bay’ah by words… the hand of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never touched the hand of any woman except a woman he owned . Reported by al-Bukhaari, 6674).

Some Muslims feel too embarrassed to refuse when a woman offers her hand to them. In addition to mixing with women, some of them claim that they are forced to shake hands with fellow-students and teachers in schools and universities, or with colleagues in the workplace, or in business meetings and so on, but this is not an acceptable excuse. The Muslim should overcome his own feelings and the promptings of the Shaytaan, and be strong in his faith, because Allaah is not ashamed of the truth. The Muslim could apologize politely and explain that the reason he does not want to shake hands is not to offend or hurt anybody’s feelings, but it is because he is following the teachings of his religion. In most cases this will earn him respect from others. There is no harm done if they find it strange at first, and it may even be a practical opportunity for da’wah. And Allaah knows best.

Source: Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid via https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2459/ruling-on-shaking-hands-with-the-opposite-sex

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:05am On Feb 01, 2019
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islam (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the Islamic religion) and follow not the footsteps of Shaitan (Satan). Verily! He is to you a plain enemy.

Surah Al-Baqarah (2:208)

May Shaitan never toy with our brain!

7 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by AryEmber(f): 9:32am On Feb 01, 2019
Hmmm........ quite deep.

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by OhiOfIhima: 9:50am On Feb 01, 2019
May allah have mercy on us. Amin

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by BalogunIdowu(m): 9:56am On Feb 01, 2019
More pictures of youth doing this should be displayed not the president. He must have done via necessity

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by BenzEne1(m): 9:57am On Feb 01, 2019
sureheaven:
You can sleep with them and have many of them as wives but shaking them is questionable.

Islam and hypocrisy are inseparable.

Where did Islam say you should sleep with them. You know nothing about Islam. Shut your ignorant mouth up.

10 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by Fedayeen02: 9:58am On Feb 01, 2019
If shaking hands of the opposite sex can lead you into sin then Islam has made its adherents to lack self control

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by BenzEne1(m): 9:58am On Feb 01, 2019
BalogunIdowu:
More pictures of youth doing this should be displayed not the president. He must have done via necessity

There is nothing like necessity there. He is going against the rule of Islam.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by Idrisenagi: 9:59am On Feb 01, 2019
May Allah continue to strengthen our faith and keep us in the company of the righteous

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by chakula: 10:01am On Feb 01, 2019
I am not the advocate of such practice. Ma Sha Allah.
Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by oboy81: 10:11am On Feb 01, 2019
AryEmber:
Hmmm........ quite deep.
Yes, very very deep in your Pussy

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by BalogunIdowu(m): 10:12am On Feb 01, 2019
BenzEne1:

There is nothing like necessity there. He is going against the rule of Islam.

Okay sheikh...
I hear you...
I am telling you instead of displaying more pics of youth in to this act.
Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by collinsprince: 10:17am On Feb 01, 2019
Lukgaf:
Today, InshaAllah, we look at rulings regarding shaking hands with an opposite sex.

Without any equivocation, youths nowadays face this menace in their Universities, place of works and society at large. Therefore the thread seeks to answer the below question:

Is it allowable for a man to greet woman by hand shakes and vice versa? Enjoy reading

Praise be to Allaah.

For a man to shake hands with a non-mahram woman (one to whom he is not related) is haraam and is not permitted at all. Among the evidence for this is the hadeeth of Ma’qal ibn Yassaar (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘If one of you were to be struck in the head with an iron needle, it would be better for him than if he were to touch a woman he is not allowed to.”

(Reported by al-Tabaraani; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045).
There is no doubt that for a man to touch a non-mahram woman is one of the causes of fitnah (turmoil, temptation), provocation of desire and committing haraam deeds. No one should say that their intention is sound or their heart is clean, because the one who was the purest of heart and the most chaste of all, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never touched a non-mahram woman, even when accepting bay’ah (oath of allegiance) from women. He did not hold their hands when accepting their bay’ah, as he did with men; their bay’ah was by words only, as was reported by his wife ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her). She said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would test the believing women who emigrated to him with the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “O Prophet! When believeing women come to you to give you the bay’ah (pledge), that they will not associate anything in worship with Allaah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e., by making illegal children belong to their husbands), and that thye will not disobey you in any ma’ruf (Islamic monotheism and all that which Islam ordains), then accept their bay’ah and ask Allaah to forgive them. Verily Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [al-Mumtahinah 60:12] ‘Aa’ishah said: “So whoever of the believing women agreed to these conditions, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would say to her: ‘I have accepted your bay’ah by words.’ By Allaah, his hand never touched the hand of any woman when accepting their bay’ah; he accepted their bay’ah by saying ‘I have accepted your bay’ah on this basis.’”

(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 4512; according to another report: he accepted their bay’ah by words… the hand of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never touched the hand of any woman except a woman he owned . Reported by al-Bukhaari, 6674).

Some Muslims feel too embarrassed to refuse when a woman offers her hand to them. In addition to mixing with women, some of them claim that they are forced to shake hands with fellow-students and teachers in schools and universities, or with colleagues in the workplace, or in business meetings and so on, but this is not an acceptable excuse. The Muslim should overcome his own feelings and the promptings of the Shaytaan, and be strong in his faith, because Allaah is not ashamed of the truth. The Muslim could apologize politely and explain that the reason he does not want to shake hands is not to offend or hurt anybody’s feelings, but it is because he is following the teachings of his religion. In most cases this will earn him respect from others. There is no harm done if they find it strange at first, and it may even be a practical opportunity for da’wah. And Allaah knows best.

Source: Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid via https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2459/ruling-on-shaking-hands-with-the-opposite-sex

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by jidxin(m): 10:23am On Feb 01, 2019
BenzEne1:

Where did Islam say you should sleep with them. You know nothing about Islam. Shut your ignorant mouth up.
my boss doesn't drink, he believes drinking is haram but sleeps with women , any kind of women. So most times it's not about mere shaking or physical contact but discipline. Una no get dat one at all. In my sch unilorin, those who uses hijabs nd refuses to shake us are we ones that are being f...ckd anyhow

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by Earthquake1: 10:25am On Feb 01, 2019
They are telling you not to shake hands with the opposite sex while the Alhajis are busy packing slay queens in Abuja

Una mumu never do?

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by Gweedorian(m): 10:56am On Feb 01, 2019
ISLAMBAD:
Those that don't shake hands are first to bleep different women behind closed doors grin

Una mumu don do!
Aswear Ugarrit mehn....
I had one like that during my NYSC days, a Muslimah dentist in my clinic PPA... she was bleeping a guy she wasn't married to yet she refuses to shake hands of patients and co-staff...
Live and direct.... I won't reveal further how I got to know and confirm. But it's hundred percent true....
Whereas she'll be making Christians and believers of other faiths feel less moral cos they don't wear hijab or because they shake men when in truth some of this unbelievers are virgins.

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by BenzEne1(m): 10:56am On Feb 01, 2019
jidxin:
my boss doesn't drink, he believes drinking is haram but sleeps with women , any kind of women. So most times it's not about mere shaking or physical contact but discipline. Una no get dat one at all. In my sch unilorin, those who uses hijabs nd refuses to shake us are we ones that are being f...ckd anyhow

Don't judge Islam by the actions of some Muslims. Judge Muslims by the tenets of Islam rather.

Those sisters who where hijab and get fvcked are not denting Islam because the Qur'an and the sunnah speaks against Zina (illicit sexual relations with someone other than your spouse). I have seen Christians in my time at uniben who where choristers and ardent church goers who also engage in such sins. Does that mean Christianity is in consonance with such acts? No.

Your boss knows that fornication is haraam. Or did he tell you it's permitted? There are Muslims who abide to these rulings and those who don't. Islam is pure, humans /Muslims err. Allahu allam

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by BenzEne1(m): 10:59am On Feb 01, 2019
Earthquake1:
They are telling you not to shake hands with the opposite sex while the Alhajis are busy packing slay queens in Abuja

Una mumu never do?

So if the alhajis are treading the part of hell fire we should follow them?

Your own mumu never do?

So if your pastor fornicates, it automatically becomes allowed to do that?

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by BenzEne1(m): 11:00am On Feb 01, 2019
Gweedorian:

Aswear Ugarrit mehn....
I had one like that during my NYSC days, a Muslimah dentist in my clinic PPA... she was bleeping a guy she wasn't married to yet she refuses to shake hands of patients and co-staff...
Live and direct.... I won't reveal further how I got to know and confirm. But it's a hundred percent true....
Whereas she'll be making Christians and believers of other faiths feel less moral cos they don't wear hijab or because they shake men when in truth some of this unbelievers are virgins.

She's deceiving her self. And dwelling in sin.

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by b1naryc0de: 11:22am On Feb 01, 2019
Lukgaf:

Praise be to Allaah.

You've done well. But I disapprove of the photos you used at the end.

President Buhari is not a religious figure. Emphasizing his error by posting multiple photos of him having hand shake is not correct.

If you have access to him or know those who do, kindly extend your guidance. If you don't, just do your dawah and pray for him.

May Allah assist us all

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by calamus(m): 11:33am On Feb 01, 2019
allow me comment nwokem... angry

Kedi udiri akuko nzuzu di ife a?

unu na-afukwa udili nsi a na-akoju ndi a n'isi?

So I can't shake her? But can I touch her at all? Oh no, I can't.
If I meet a woman who (perhaps) was met by a mishap on the road, I shouldn't touch her because it is haraam.

Haraam gbakwa oku dia... undecided undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex by Ibcrown(m): 11:37am On Feb 01, 2019
ISLAMBAD:
Those that don't shake hands are first to bleep different women behind closed doors grin

Una mumu don do!
idiot

(1) (2) (Reply)

Share Your Eid Pictures / For Husband And Wife: 17 Tips For A Happy Home / Good Manners In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.