Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex (22236 Views)

Guidelines On Shaking Hands With Non-mahram / Ruling On Shaking Hands With Opposite Sex / Is Chatting With Opposite Sex on Social media Khulwa That Is Prohibited? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Realismailakabir: 7:38pm On Nov 12, 2020
Is it allowable for a muslim woman to greet a muslim man by shaking hands?

Answer

Praise be to Allah.

For a man to shake hands with a non-mahram woman (one to whom he is not related) is haraam and is not permitted at all. Among the evidence for this is the hadeeth of Ma’qal ibn Yassaar (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘If one of you were to be struck in the head with an iron needle, it would be better for him than if he were to touch a woman he is not allowed to.”

(Reported by al-Tabaraani; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045).

There is no doubt that for a man to touch a non-mahram woman is one of the causes of fitnah (turmoil, temptation), provocation of desire and committing haraam deeds. No one should say that their intention is sound or their heart is clean, because the one who was the purest of heart and the most chaste of all, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never touched a non-mahram woman, even when accepting bay’ah (oath of allegiance) from women. He did not hold their hands when accepting their bay’ah, as he did with men; their bay’ah was by words only, as was reported by his wife ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her). She said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would test the believing women who emigrated to him with the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “O Prophet! When believeing women come to you to give you the bay’ah (pledge), that they will not associate anything in worship with Allaah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e., by making illegal children belong to their husbands), and that they will not disobey you in any ma’ruf (Islamic monotheism and all that which Islam ordains), then accept their bay’ah and ask Allaah to forgive them. Verily Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [al-Mumtahinah 60:12] ‘Aa’ishah said: “So whoever of the believing women agreed to these conditions, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would say to her: ‘I have accepted your bay’ah by words.’ By Allaah, his hand never touched the hand of any woman when accepting their bay’ah (Oath of allegiance) he accepted their bay’ah by saying ‘I have accepted your bay’ah on this basis.’”

(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 4512; according to another report: he accepted their bay’ah by words… the hand of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never touched the hand of any woman except a woman he owned . Reported by al-Bukhaari, 6674).

Some Muslims feel too embarrassed to refuse when a woman offers her hand to them. In addition to mixing with women, some of them claim that they are forced to shake hands with fellow-students and teachers in schools and universities, or with colleagues in the workplace, or in business meetings and so on, but this is not an acceptable excuse. The Muslim should overcome his own feelings and the promptings of the Shaytaan, and be strong in his faith, because Allaah is not ashamed of the truth. The Muslim could apologize politely and explain that the reason he does not want to shake hands is not to offend or hurt anybody’s feelings, but it is because he is following the teachings of his religion. In most cases this will earn him respect from others. There is no harm done if they find it strange at first, and it may even be a practical opportunity for da’wah. And Allaah knows best.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2459/ruling-on-shaking-hands-with-the-opposite-sex

9 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by AntiChristian: 8:49pm On Nov 12, 2020
May Allah let us see the truth and give us the strength to follow it. O Allah show us falsehood and Grant us the istiqama to avoid it.

14 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by advocatejare(m): 11:34pm On Nov 12, 2020
Realismailakabir:

There is no doubt that for a man to touch a non-mahram woman is one of the causes of fitnah (turmoil, temptation), provocation of desire and committing haraam deeds

If it's about provocation of sexual desires, that means Muhammad should have asked all of you his followers to remove your eyes and go blind so that you wont be able to look at a woman and have sexual arousal like Muhammad did:

"Jabir reported that Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) saw a woman, and so he came to his wife, Zainab, as she was tanning a leather and had sexual intercourse with her. He then went to his Companions and told them:
The woman advances and retires in the shape of a devil, so when one of you sees a woman, he should come to his wife, for that will repel what he feels in his heart.
-Reference : Sahih Muslim 1403 a
In-book reference : Book 16, Hadith 10
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 8, Hadith 3240
(deprecated numbering scheme)

According to Muhammad, whenever a Muslim man sees a woman, he go to his wife. grin

88 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Realismailakabir: 12:10am On Nov 13, 2020
Some Muslims feel too embarrassed to refuse when a woman offers her hand to them, some fears being seen as outdated or weird thus compromising his/her faith some even go to an extent of hugging/pecking all in the name of being seen as civilized. Note that If any muslim does this by ignorance(Not knowing it is Haram before now) Allah will forgive him/her but violating the rules of Allah intentionally will earn anyone punishment - Quran 4:17

"The repentance accepted by Allah is only for those who do wrong in ignorance [or carelessness] and then repent soon after. It is those to whom Allah will turn in forgiveness, and Allah is ever Knowing and Wise.

Quran 4:18

But repentance is not [accepted] of those who [continue to] do evil deeds up until, when death comes to one of them, he says, "Indeed, I have repented now," or of those who die while they are disbelievers. For them We have prepared a painful punishment.

10 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Barka00(m): 9:28am On Nov 13, 2020

195 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Midas01: 10:12am On Nov 13, 2020
No shaking hands but fvvking underaged girls and bombings are halal.

By the way, I confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

I confess that Jesus is the way, truth and Life.

I confess that Jesus is the only begotten Son of the Father

254 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by holuwajobar(m): 10:13am On Nov 13, 2020
Rubbish rubbish rubbish.... What a religion

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by DennisEche(m): 10:14am On Nov 13, 2020
AHA, ITS FRIDAY LET ME GRAB MY POP CORN AND MAT TO LISTEN, SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THE SAUDI KING HANDSHAKE WITH MERKEL. WAHALA IF YOU BE POOR HEADSLAMMER

89 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Coochyking: 10:14am On Nov 13, 2020
this people foolish I swear, they shouldn't shake buy they can rape, terrorize, and do all sort of nonsense one single Sense una no get

87 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by lastempero: 10:16am On Nov 13, 2020
Una oga kpatapkata for saudi never apologise after shaking hands with the german chancellor, i mean the people that brought this religion to u guys,

I bessech you to see beyond your nose.me as a Christian no be all my pastor tell me i dey take .

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Ola260: 10:16am On Nov 13, 2020
It's not a must to come comment here. It's Islam ruling and not Christianity's. So it shouldn't affect u Christians

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by AkintundeOGY(m): 10:17am On Nov 13, 2020
The truth always bitters

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by chimaobinelson(m): 10:21am On Nov 13, 2020
All this shit is for the poor.

27 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by MsAllison(f): 10:24am On Nov 13, 2020
zelekete amin grin

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by mdchikezie(m): 10:25am On Nov 13, 2020
Midas01:
No shaking hands but fvvking underaged girls and bombings are halal.

By the way, I confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

VERY USELESS SET OF PEOPLE MOSTLY THE ONES IN NIGERIA.

AND ME TOO...... I confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by osamz007: 10:25am On Nov 13, 2020
ALLAHU AKBAR

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 13, 2020
They deceive yourself about one ruling for there, while King Salman is busy shaking the hands of Angela Merkel grin

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Calabar1stSon: 10:28am On Nov 13, 2020
Una backwardness dey on reverse gear.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Charleys: 10:28am On Nov 13, 2020
Hypocrites everywhere.
King of Saudi Arabia don't read the Quran I guess.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by JudasNaCarrot: 10:29am On Nov 13, 2020
Let me not say what is in my mind before my head is cut off from my body.

Very violent people talking thrash every weekend.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Alennsar(f): 10:30am On Nov 13, 2020
AntiChristian:
May Allah let us see the truth and give us the strength to follow it. O Allah show us falsehood and Grant us the istiqama to avoid it.
Aameen

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Abdunzhaleel: 10:31am On Nov 13, 2020
Al-Ahzab 33:36

وَمَا كَانَ لِمُؤْمِنٍ وَلَا مُؤْمِنَةٍ إِذَا قَضَى ٱللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُۥٓ أَمْرًا أَن يَكُونَ لَهُمُ ٱلْخِيَرَةُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِمْۗ وَمَن يَعْصِ ٱللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُۥ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ ضَلَٰلًا مُّبِينًا

It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error.

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Alennsar(f): 10:33am On Nov 13, 2020
Charleys:
Hypocrites everywhere.
King of Saudi Arabia don't read the Quran I guess.

If Saudi king is your god then follow him and leave the righteous Muslims to follow their lord as well.
After all it is their belief not yours.

10 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Charleys: 10:33am On Nov 13, 2020
Abdunzhaleel:
Al-Ahzab 33:36

وَمَا كَانَ لِمُؤْمِنٍ وَلَا مُؤْمِنَةٍ إِذَا قَضَى ٱللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُۥٓ أَمْرًا أَن يَكُونَ لَهُمُ ٱلْخِيَرَةُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِمْۗ وَمَن يَعْصِ ٱللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُۥ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ ضَلَٰلًا مُّبِينًا

It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error.

So has the king of Saudi Arabia strayed into clear error?

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Alennsar(f): 10:37am On Nov 13, 2020
mdchikezie:

VERY USELESS SET OF PEOPLE MOSTLY THE ONES IN NIGERIA.

AND ME TOO...... I confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Birds of the same feathers. You just describe yourself accurately.
Intolerant and haughty. You don't have any manners at all.

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Charleys: 10:38am On Nov 13, 2020
Alennsar:

If Saudi king is your god then follow him and leave the righteous Muslims to follow their lord as well.
After all it is their belief not yours.

Is he no longer the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques?

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Abdunzhaleel: 10:40am On Nov 13, 2020
Charleys:

So has the king of Saudi Arabia strayed into clear error?
That question isn't as important as you saving your Ass from hell by accepting the religion all prophets including jesus practiced.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Alennsar(f): 10:40am On Nov 13, 2020
lastempero:
Una oga kpatapkata for saudi never apologise after shaking hands with the german chancellor, i mean the people that brought this religion to u guys,

I bessech you to see beyond your nose.me as a Christian no be all my pastor tell me i dey take .
Al-saud did not bring the religion to us but Prophet Muhammad (saw) did and he never strayed but wait a minute, how does my not shaking hands with opposite sex your problem? Why are you all crying more than the bereaved?

8 Likes

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Kholar211: 10:41am On Nov 13, 2020
Coochyking:
this people foolish I swear, they shouldn't shake buy they can rape, terrorize, and do all sort of nonsense one single Sense una no get
just like how one aboki was telling me on facebook that terrorism is better than cybercrime.

Delusional people, lol

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ruling On Shaking Hands With The Opposite Sex by Charleys: 10:44am On Nov 13, 2020
Abdunzhaleel:
That question isn't as important as you saving your Ass from hell by accepting the religion all prophets including jesus practiced.

Better cover your ass with a hijab than covering your face. Give birth to children you can take care of. Cover your ass

Hope you understood what I meant right there.

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Things That I Saw In The Front Row Of Jumah Today. / Differences Between Islam And Western Ideology / Tragic End Of ISIS Militant Forcefully Married To 7 Year Old

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.