Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,387 members, 7,958,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:43 AM

3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos (28563 Views)

What Is The One Problem You Face When Looking For An Apartment? / Critical Things To Consider Before Buying A Land by Gshelters / Where Is The Best Part In Ajah Lagos To Rent An Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by gisthabit: 6:33pm On Feb 02, 2019
Staying in Lagos can be very stressful especially if don’t plan yourself carefully. If you must reduce the level of stress that comes with the day to day activities as a typical Lagos resident. Then you must take time to plan carefully when looking for an apartment of your own in Lagos.

3 Critical Things When Looking For an Apartment in Lagos

#1. Nearness to Your Place of Work or Business

In developing cities like Kaduna and Jalingo you can afford to be residing kilometres away from your place of work. Because of the ease of movement from one point to another due to less traffic and very affordable means of transportation.

Unfortunately, it is totally a different case when it comes to Lagos. You must consider the cost of transporting yourself to work daily and also the average traffic situation of your route before choosing to move into an apartment.

To be on a safer side, the recommended practice is to get a place that is affordable and close to your place of work. By so doing the cost of transportation will be reduced drastically as well as the length of time you will spend in traffic.

Let me give you a practical example – when I was looking for an apartment after I was posted to Lagos Airport, I got a one-room self-contain apartment for 140,000 Naira annually at Egbeda. But after my cost analysis, I realised that I will be spending an average of 600 to 700 Naira on transportation on daily basis with heavy traffic.

I also got another one-room self-contain apartment at Mafoluku for 160,000 Naira annually. But I discovered that my daily spending on transportation will be 200 Naira or less with little or no traffic.

#2. General Power Supply Situation in That Area

Don’t ever do the mistake of not factoring the power supply situation of an area before paying for an apartment there.

To be realistic, the majority of the areas being occupied by the average people in Lagos lacks steady power supply. But notwithstanding, there are some places that suffer more and I am sure you wouldn't want to find yourself there.

Another very important factor to consider is the average power billing for that area. Yes, some areas receive outrageous power bill monthly that you will be forced to ask yourself if your house is a manufacturing industry.

I was once in a house where the electricity company brings an average bill of 20,000 Naira monthly even though I was rarely at home to consume the so-called electricity.

#3. The Water Level of the Area

A lot of residents in Lagos today are suffering as a result of their failure to make a good decision when it comes to this. The truth is, the majority of the lands in Lagos were sand filled before buildings were erected on them.

If possible, the best time to look for an apartment in Lagos is during the raining season. It is during this time you can be able to know how effective the drainage system of an area is. And also to know if you are about moving into a flood-prone environment.

But in a situation where you can’t wait for the raining season to come, I recommend that you do a visual inspection of the drainage in the area and also the wall of the buildings before making your choice.

You may also want to ask questions from people you know that reside in that community or even strangers. But the problem with such method is that sometimes they will not be willing to tell you the truth.

Source: https://gisthabit.com/3-critical-things-when-looking-for-an-apartment-in-lagos/

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by gisthabit: 6:34pm On Feb 02, 2019
You should also read: Top 8 Money Tips for Salary Earners to enable you manage your salary in 2019

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by tabithababy(f): 7:06pm On Feb 02, 2019
cheesy

Yea..very.correct

Dont stay in areas like bariga, mushin, ajegunle,oworonshoki, oshodi,ebute metta

Dont stay in a house with live in landlord

Check their NEPA bill

Dont stay directly beside an event center or a religious center

Check for flood

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by hakeem4(m): 7:14pm On Feb 02, 2019
I think the best time to go for house hunting in Lagos is during the rainy season

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by mayskit4luv(m): 7:14pm On Feb 02, 2019
Ok
Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by frubben(m): 7:15pm On Feb 02, 2019
simply just go to ajegule

1 Like

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Ijaycool(f): 7:15pm On Feb 02, 2019
Power Supply isn't consistent. Water level, Distance, Security and source of basic Water in the area.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:15pm On Feb 02, 2019
You must take time to plan carefully when looking for an apartment of your own in Lagos.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Stdaviding(m): 7:15pm On Feb 02, 2019
Bill on the previous meter if not prepaid

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Gecoz: 7:16pm On Feb 02, 2019
Also check if the building belongs to apc member or if the building was built by those wackos called apigshit

12 Likes

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by NoLotty7(m): 7:16pm On Feb 02, 2019
Nice tips

1 Like

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Nobody: 7:17pm On Feb 02, 2019
smiley

Check the crime level in the area.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:17pm On Feb 02, 2019
Gecoz:
Also check if the building belongs to apc member or if the building was built by those wackos called apigshit
Dem don take politics injure dis one finish!
Nothing more on his brain than APC and PDP politics.
Irredeemable tin!
Spit!

Thumbs up for this good thread OP.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by DesChyko: 7:17pm On Feb 02, 2019
Most importantly; your pocket
Some Landlord wahala make village people look like say dem dey learn work angry

11 Likes

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by hisexcellency34: 7:17pm On Feb 02, 2019
Watch out for the landlady too!

12 Likes

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Gforce2019: 7:18pm On Feb 02, 2019
Lagos house with all this benefits are exorbitant

3 Likes

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Lanretoye(m): 7:18pm On Feb 02, 2019
4: if landlord or landlady lives in the compound,if yes,consult the neighborhood.

5: History of previous tenants,some people moved into an apartment with lorry loads but parked out in korope.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Numlock: 7:19pm On Feb 02, 2019
Network wahala too.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Ruddyman(m): 7:19pm On Feb 02, 2019
Hmmmmmm
Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by itiswellandwell: 7:20pm On Feb 02, 2019
Confirm and reconfirm that it's the water from the borehole or well that's running in the house. Make he no be say, them go fetch water from outside inside the tank wan take deceive you because borehole or well no dey work. Some agents are crook.

8GB Atm card flash drive for #1000 only. Check link
https://www.nairaland.com/4972442/clearance-sales-
quality-8gb-atm

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Vickym1(f): 7:20pm On Feb 02, 2019
Tnx for the information
Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by sylve11: 7:20pm On Feb 02, 2019
Lagos life too difficult in all angles. cool

6 Likes

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by bayelsaowei(m): 7:20pm On Feb 02, 2019
Lagos the overhyped yeye city

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Suspect33(m): 7:21pm On Feb 02, 2019
If you are still considering moving to lagos, my advice to you is DONT, but of you're already where and looking for accomodation, avoid ijora, mushin, inshut the whole mainlain except surulere, Lagos is over-rated

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Dollabiz: 7:21pm On Feb 02, 2019
good
Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by perdollar(m): 7:22pm On Feb 02, 2019
also remember to buy a canoe too and a life jacket. they r more important than umbrella

9 Likes

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by Pavore9: 7:23pm On Feb 02, 2019
Lagos, my Lagos! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 3 Critical Things When Looking For An Apartment In Lagos by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:23pm On Feb 02, 2019
O
bayelsaowei:
Lagos the overhyped yeye city
I understand ur grudge particularly when the city fails to meet ur economic expectations on ur arrival

But for me, Lagos has been exceedingly amazing

28 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fire Disaster At Rumuokoro In Port Harcourt. Properties Destroyed (Pictures) / Which Part Of Lagos Is Devoid Of Flooding? / Re: Pictorial Representation Of A Kitchen Cabinet And Doors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.