Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd (44489 Views)

Chi Limited Acquired By Coca-cola / Access Bank Acquires Diamond Bank / Kelvin Dandy 'Obaseki' Acquires $1M Mansion In Banana Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by mfm04622: 10:25am On Feb 03, 2019
DEHVEHLOP:
Yoruba companies and other legitimate businesses own by them keep growing stronger by the day....

Hausa too have the world richest black man in their midst...

Our other abusive and arrogant for nothing blodas own na to sell fake spare parts, sun heated gala for Lagos and kano goslow..

Also to flaunt drug and armed robbery proceeds at social gatherings, forming billionaires.

All these calamities that befall them since time immemorial are now being blamed on a God sent PMB.

Anyway how do I expect a crime hating man to be loved by criminals...

Igbo amaka

Chi was a foreign company! Not Yoruba owned
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by ehissi(m): 10:47am On Feb 03, 2019
mrvitalis:
Chi just bleeped up

The owner of that company vowed that nothing can make him leave nigeria. That Nigeria was the best country in the world.

I remember when I read his experience in the guardian newpaper many years ago.

That when he left the middle east for Nigeria many year ago, they said he had gone mad. That Nigeria was the best country in the world for business....

Today, he is moving for coca cola to take over.

Na waooh!! P & G for agbara don fold, the foreign investors holding up Federal Palace hotel don run. Oh boy if we no make way na wetin we gain

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 03, 2019
datola:
Hmmm ... I hope the acquisition is not to kill the brand and/products.

I used to think Chi is owned by one sharp Chibuzor/eke igbo man.
me too.
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Ikpongiton: 10:53am On Feb 03, 2019
cocacola is a 419 company that bottled water and sugar and market it in the name of soft drink .bloody scammers
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by NUJABEZ: 10:59am On Feb 03, 2019
DEHVEHLOP:
Yoruba companies and other legitimate businesses own by them keep growing stronger by the day....

Hausa too have the world richest black man in their midst...

Our other abusive and arrogant for nothing blodas own na to sell fake spare parts, sun heated gala for Lagos and kano goslow..

Also to flaunt drug and armed robbery proceeds at social gatherings, forming billionaires.

All these calamities that befall them since time immemorial are now being blamed on a God sent PMB.

Anyway how do I expect a crime hating man to be loved by criminals...

Igbo amaka

Chi is owned by an Indian family. Ode.
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by lawrenzo007(m): 11:03am On Feb 03, 2019
cucumbae:
Is that why superbite sausage rolls get spoilt even before it expiry date? Anything coca made is of lower quality.

I also had same experience... I open it and I found mucus ... NAFDAC should ban that product

1 Like

Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by onez: 11:10am On Feb 03, 2019
StupidInyamiri:
Coca cola and sugar
When Atiku was in Apc,Buhari wasn't lifeless
Buhari was a darling and best thing to sugar, as soon as he exit Apc,Buhari suddenly become lifeless and vinegar..

Shameless followers..
Brother, all these curse you are receiving on behalf of the tyrant and failure, Buhari will reck your life and family. Be wise
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by galaxy2020(m): 11:18am On Feb 03, 2019
These "blodas" u rant about that is causing you cancer run the economy of the states in Nigeria, because they are not lazy. Compare and contrast.....
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by lonelydora: 11:19am On Feb 03, 2019
seanswitch:
Acquiring a competitor. undecided

Not nice for the business. But, that's coca-cola's strategy, kill their competitors.

Chi ran 5Alive out of the market
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by lonelydora: 11:20am On Feb 03, 2019
Gkemz:
If you can't compete along, acquire your competitor and crash it approach has been working for coca cola.

Who still talk about the popular Limca of early 90s. The name has gone into extinction. Thanks to Coca cola.

Exactly. I didn't see this post before posting mine above. That's how coca cola functions
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Whobedatte(m): 11:37am On Feb 03, 2019
DesChyko:

The way Bigi Cola has swept Coca Cola unto the sidelines in many regions refutes this claim o.
I still wonder how they managed to do it sef undecided
In lagos
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Sundaypaul12345: 11:48am On Feb 03, 2019
Mopolchi:
This is an old news angry
But many people Never hear am
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Jokesnice(m): 11:56am On Feb 03, 2019
Coca Cola always buying up competitive brnds and gradually killing them off. They killed off goldspot because it was too similar to their fanta brand and only kept Limca due to its unique taste. Now they are toying with Limca taste by producing some that taste like bitter lemon. Who the hell does that? Why can't they leave my Limca as it is and produce their own bitter lemon nonsense instead of changing Limca's taste. Now pple are skeptical of buying Limca.

1 Like

Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 03, 2019
larryking540:

Expiring date are most times tampered with, there are some preservatives dat are legally not allowed in confectionery but some still hide to use it, let me shift abit, ,,,
People shout I can't use agino motor to cook o, but let me burst ur bubble some of the sausage have agino motor as an ingredient added, but it will not b added to d ingredients list, there are so many things added by food processors in confectionery industry dat are added to the food making but u wouldn't know ,

But the expiry date of superbite is printed with a computer that it will deface the nylon when tampered with.
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by atiku07(m): 12:03pm On Feb 03, 2019
u know what this so called foreign investors a corruption agents most of them cover face with the companies while they help corrupt government agent siphone stolen fund it is now we would know true investors.

ehissi:

The owner of that company vowed that nothing can make him leave nigeria. That Nigeria was the best country in the world.

I remember when I read his experience in the guardian newpaper many years ago.

That when he left the middle east for Nigeria many year ago, they said he had gone mad. That Nigeria was the best country in the world for business....

Today, he is moving for coca cola to take over.

Na waooh!! P & G for agbara don fold, the foreign investors holding up Federal Palace hotel don run. Oh boy if we no make way na wetin we gain
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by VULCAN(m): 12:04pm On Feb 03, 2019
Chivita is No 1 in the Juice market in this country.

They have left 5 alive so far behind that it could never have caught up.

Coke is going to kill it just as they kill all the brands they acquire. Go out and buy a Limca. It has become undrinkable unlike back in the day.

Cole will kill Chivita thinking that 5Alive will resurrect but it won't happen.

This is a sad day for the Nigerian Food and Beverages industry.

Boyooosa:

You should know that chivita as a brand can never compete with coca cola na brother!
I only admire their gut and its better for them as the brand's spread world wide will be faster and massive with this new acquisition depending on what the owners stand to gain tho...

1 Like

Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by atiku07(m): 12:07pm On Feb 03, 2019
it can be wiped and re printed with same computer !

cucumbae:
But the expiry date of superbite is printed with a computer that it will deface the nylon when tampered with.
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Boyooosa(m): 12:12pm On Feb 03, 2019
VULCAN:
Chivita is No 1 in the Juice market in this country.

They have left 5 alive so far behind that it could never have caught up.

Coke is going to kill it just as they kill all the brands they acquire. Go out and buy a Limca. It has become undrinkable unlike back in the day.

Cole will kill Chivita thinking that 5Alive will resurrect but it won't happen.

This is a sad day for the Nigerian Food and Beverages industry.

I understand you perfectly. And its quite sad too!
I don't know why the owners subject that big brand to such negotiation...sad again!
Mind you, I don't think the founders are Nigerians, may be they are reasoning things from another perspective from ours. Whichever way, I agree with u that its a big loss to Nigeria talking of brand (but may economically add value to us tho).
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Nobody: 12:14pm On Feb 03, 2019
what a damn shame
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Sleezwizz: 12:31pm On Feb 03, 2019
aAK1:
The reason holandia has become watery lately.

U no lie at all..

I noticed that when I recently drank Hollandia Youghurt (Strawberry flavor)...

Watery and tasted somehow... sad cry
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 03, 2019
atiku07:
it can be wiped and re printed with same computer !

Is it the retailers or the wholesalers that will do that?
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Tolubory(m): 12:35pm On Feb 03, 2019
[quote author=Onyemadonald post=75369904]The non alcoholic beverage market is set to witness a revolution as the leading beverage company, Coca-Cola, fully acquires Chi limited.

President Coca-Cola West Africa, Business Unit, Peter Njonjo, said that Coca-Cola had earlier in January 29th 2016 acquired 40 per cent of Chi Ltd but has now completed the acquisition by taking over the remaining 60 per cent of Chi company on January 30th 2019.

He revealed this while making the announcement at Eko Hotels, Lagos, at a press briefing attended by top officials of Coca-Cola and Chi companies and other stake holders.
While describing the acquisition as a testament to the company’s commitment to being a total beverage company to meet the changing tastes and needs of consumers, he said the acquisition was spurred by a shift in the taste and needs of consumers. He also said that a majority of the customers of Coca-Cola were of the lower income cadre, adding that Chi, on its part, was relevant to the Nigerian market, especially in terms of low prices.

“We will support the Chi management team in building on the company’s remarkable heritage and achievements while using the scale of the Coca-Cola system to replicate their success in more markets across Africa.” The visibly elated Njonjo noted that the acquisition was an investment of great interest because of how the brand has been built and made relevant in the Nigerian economy emphasising that it will be further grown into a global million dollar brand over the next 10 years, adding that towards that end, “Coca-Cola recently launched Hollandia yoghurt drink in South Africa.”

Responding to a question on if any products in the two companies may be collapsed, Njonjo said that none of the products in any of the companies will give way, rather “all the products will coexist. Already Chi sells high quality products so we shall continue with that quality and affordable pricing.” Continuing, he explained that the company Chi will still be left to operate with their staff. “We shall not interfere with the day-to-day running of the company but we shall maintain and grow it. Its products would be distributed internationally.”

“Our objective is to grow both the Chi and Hollandia units to a global multi-billion dollar brand.” Lending credence to what Njonjo said, Coca-Cola’s Public Affairs & Communications Director West Africa Business Unit, Clem Ugorji, reaffirmed that “This acquisition is a testament to how we will achieve our objectives and it is also a celebration of entrepreneurship.”

Speaking further, he said “We will not collapse the Chi brand or any of its products. Doing that will only make the company lose the attractiveness that it had before the acquisition. Rather, we will continue to grow both brands and employees in order to grow our customer base and strengthen our market share.”

Chi Limited was founded in Lagos in 1980. It produces juice under the Chivita brand, Caprisonne and value-added dairy under the Hollandia brand. In a September 2018 interview, Njonjo had said that the company’s drive to diversify its product range would give it some flexibility.

No Wonder, Hollandia yougurt is expensive.
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Originalsly: 12:37pm On Feb 03, 2019
olujastro:

I was very unhappy when I read about this acquisition some years ago.
Then, I thought Chi was a fully owned Nigerian brand and was looking forward to seeing Nigerian companies becoming the next Nestlés, Unilevers, etc.

Bottom line for consumers is, no more fruit juice competition in Nigeria going forward.

Big loss to a local company.... don't know if the FG could've given Chi some kind of incentives to remain a local company. The price for Chi juices wouldn't raise...it is more likely to become lower... the packaging a whole lot better... first rate advertising.... but the juices will not taste the same....almost...but not the same. Why?....if Chi had 30% of real juice in it's product....under Coca Cola they will have 2%...if so much...artificial flavour will be the main thing. Coca Cola is losing sales big time on sodas.....that's a 20th century money maker.... natural products...organics...is the way to go...their Gatorade and Powerade power drinks is how selling cheap like water....people be going for natural coconut water...Coca Cola jumped on the wagon and been producing Zico coconut water.... they say is 100% coconut water...but it tastes as if one grated coconut....pours hot water on it...then bottle the run off water..but hey?...after all...it's 100% coconut water...just not direct from the coconut. What will they do to Chi products? Coca Cola will most likely he trying to take over any thriving natural drink/juice company because that is the now and the future demand.

1 Like

Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 03, 2019
lenghtinny:

For your mind, house of Chi is a threat to Coca cola angry

See what they did to gold spot and Limca after buying them over.
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Kunsky007: 1:03pm On Feb 03, 2019
Gkemz:
If you can't compete along, acquire your competitor and crash it approach has been working for coca cola.

Who still talk about the popular Limca of early 90s. The name has gone into extinction. Thanks to Coca cola.
Its called hostile takeover......they force u to sell even if u don't want
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Yampotatocarrot(m): 1:06pm On Feb 03, 2019
larryking540:
sausage rolls is not expected to last more than 3days, I make these things then at one chiko confectionery then, cus of the preservatives used which will not hold long b4 spoilage begins to take place, most times I advice people to buy other snacks, but dis is nigeria, the masses have no choice than to buy,

When u say sausage roll, u mean gala, bigi, superbite n d like abi? N please, which other snacks do u suggest, or should we just avoid them all altogether?
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by APCpackandgo: 1:29pm On Feb 03, 2019
StupidInyamiri:
Coca cola and sugar
Buhari was a darling and best thing to sugar, as soon as he exit Apc,Buhari suddenly become lifeless and vinegar..

Shameless followers..
Ka ji wawa. When.Atiku was in APC was he corrupt? When he gave Buhari campaign money, was he corrupt? But immediately he left the zombie camp after being healed of his blindness, all the zombies remembered he is corrupt. If Buhari's lifelessness bothers you, please vent your anger on Trump who describe him as so and leave Atiku out of your shenanigans.
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by larryking540: 1:31pm On Feb 03, 2019
cucumbae:
Hmmm,na human day do am na
D best type of sausage I can advice anyone to by is the one not sealed, it's more healthy and less of preservatives and they produce the ones dat can go round just for a day or 48hours, ,,after dat period is all rubbish
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by PotatoSalad(m): 1:31pm On Feb 03, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

When u say sausage roll, u mean gala, bigi, superbite n d like abi? N please, which other snacks do u suggest, or should we just avoid them all altogether?
Yes. It's not healthy. Last time i ate gala was 2013
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by njimezz(m): 1:38pm On Feb 03, 2019
That is why ur brain lack network, u speak b4 u think.
StupidInyamiri:
Coca cola and sugar

Shameless followers..
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by larryking540: 1:43pm On Feb 03, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

They are all d same, my person, gala, biggi, superbite, it's all dis I want to make business dat makes them to add more than d standard of preservatives to d snacks making in their industries, and ignorantly, people who aren't aware of how this microbs work keeps buying, d best type of sausage I can say it's ok for anyone since someone here can't do without eating sausage is the ones sold in mall (placed in show glass),atleast look for the ones prepared in good hygienic place free of fly , no matter how strong ur preservatives mechanism is be it chemical,refrigerator and others they will eventually get spoilt (denatured) .,

Most times des gala, superbite etc have already even expired even b4 leaving their warehouse, but who cares not even d govt cares , BUT BETTER CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH...AM JUST A MICROBIOLOGIST
Re: Coca-cola Finally Acquires Chi Ltd by Acidosis(m): 1:48pm On Feb 03, 2019
richiepolymer:
This acquisition to me looks like Coca Cola is buying Chi to control Chi's market penetration. Coca Cola can buy any company and kill it if it feels threatened.

Yes, that's how big corporations survive (Nestlé, General Electric, PZ, Johnson and Johnson, among others adopt this strategy).

MonopolyMerger and Acquisition is a business strategy. Your goal as a businessman is to make enough to buy up competitors/competition. Whatever you decide to do with the acquired company is nobody's business.

Cocacola may decide to retain Chi and make the subsidiary its own "competitor" - another globally practised competitive strategy. Build your brand and your competition (just as Tecno is doing with Infinix products). While consumers are busy arguing on what brand to buy (Tecno or Infinix), the makers just sit back and count money from both ends.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Crazy Request A Fan Posted On Dangote's Twitter Handle(screenshot) / Femi Otedola Celebrates His Mother, Lady Doja On Her 89th Birthday (Photos) / My Journey This Morning To A Bush Market.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.