Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,797 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? (12686 Views)

Honda Accord 2005 Frequently Shorting Engine Oil & Coolant, Smoking And Jerking / How Frequently Should You Change Your Oil? / How Much Is A Rover 75 In Naija? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:39pm On Nov 04, 2012
Kunle-A:
I have noticed in recent times that lots of people are having problem with their brainbox. Brainbox are not too often going bad here in the US.

I am wondering if there are just careless mechanic or something else is going on.

I just help someone shipped a brand new brainbox (plus ignition key and module) about 3 weeks ago for 2002 Jeep Liberty. He was having problem getting it programmed. I spoke with him yesterday to see how far everything is going. He told me that sadly the brand new brainbox was accidentally destroyed by the mechanic.

The mechanic is like family to him so he cannot get him arrested or make him pay for another one.

Moral of the story: I am shopping for a used one now again. The last one we shipped almost cost a total of about $900 by the time it Landed in Port harcourt.  cry

Felt sorry for the guy.

the problem is that people dont know the differene between a mechanic and an auto electrician

for sure its very rare for a ECU to fry
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by bankole200(m): 7:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
Pls 'm having issue with my car for so long, however the electrician just told that the ECU(Brain box) is the culprit after changing virtually all the parts randomly. The car in question is mazda 626 (1998) model that uses same brain box with ford. He told me it cost N45,000 to get it. Pls auto gurus in the house what's ur take on this cos he said the said brainbox has to be re programmed to conform with it. Pls advise, should I go ahead or sell off the car? I don't know how realiable it will be. Pls I need ur comment
an
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by pek(m): 7:22am On Nov 07, 2012
bankole200: Pls 'm having issue with my car for so long, however the electrician just told that the ECU(Brain box) is the culprit after changing virtually all the parts randomly. The car in question is mazda 626 (1998) model that uses same brain box with ford. He told me it cost N45,000 to get it. Pls auto gurus in the house what's ur take on this cos he said the said brainbox has to be re programmed to conform with it. Pls advise, should I go ahead or sell off the car? I don't know how realiable it will be. Pls I need ur comment
an
from you comment, i know your mechanic does not know jack about brainbox. No two brainbox work together. Ford and mazda do not have the same type of brainbox! Even camry and corolla do not have the same brainbox. Cars in a brand with the same year still have different brainbox to match.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by auhanson(m): 8:22pm On Nov 07, 2012
bankole200: Pls 'm having issue with my car for so long, however the electrician just told that the ECU(Brain box) is the culprit after changing virtually all the parts randomly. The car in question is mazda 626 (1998) model that uses same brain box with ford. He told me it cost N45,000 to get it. Pls auto gurus in the house what's ur take on this cos he said the said brainbox has to be re programmed to conform with it. Pls advise, should I go ahead or sell off the car? I don't know how realiable it will be. Pls I need ur comment
an

Tho i disagree wt ur car having same brainbox(ECU) like that of Ford, but i'm convinced that brain box can give u all sort of hard starting/no starting issues.
This is what you will do; Test your car with the brainbox of ur similar model of a working car, and try to use yours in that car too, then u'll know whether to buy brain box for it or not. I dnt believe in selling off faulty vehicles, but i believe in solving the problem in the best possible way. you cud once again be very happy wt ur car by doing so
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by Funjay(m): 3:57pm On Nov 16, 2012
Gooday all, pls i nid help indeed. is brain box actually repairable? mine was stolen and xtra car key programming (wire bridgin by rewire) spoilt the 2nd 1 which i was told cannot be repaired. Am on the 3rd 1, luckily, dis 1 is cheaper, about 40k but seems its not the actual match and i cannot get the 1 that came with my Toyota Corolla (stolen),are all ECU programmed with their VIN I still have the 2nd damaged ECU, can it be repaired? the folks at Ladipo told me its not repairable.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by pek(m): 1:33pm On Nov 18, 2012
@funjay. Post the vin of your car and the part number of the ècu you bought.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by sultaan(m): 6:25pm On Nov 18, 2012
pek: from you comment, i know your mechanic does not know jack about brainbox. No two brainbox work together. Ford and mazda do not have the same type of brainbox! Even camry and corolla do not have the same brainbox. Cars in a brand with the same year still have different brainbox to match.
But some Mazda models use Ford engines so your statement might not be totally correct
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by mikeokiro: 8:55pm On Aug 01, 2013
chyket: He really does not need to buy another brain box,I have a guy who fixes brainbox here in Lagos .what he does is just to trace the faulty portion and most times just replaces it.I am an auto dealer and he has done so many for me

can u please give me the persons contact, my car brain box is faulty if he can help me fix it
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by abokinama: 6:12pm On Nov 07, 2013
chyket: He really does not need to buy another brain box,I have a guy who fixes brainbox here in Lagos .what he does is just to trace the faulty portion and most times just replaces it.I am an auto dealer and he has done so many for me
Chyket can you please give me the contact for the guy that fixes brainbox in lagos? Better yet if there's a contact in ph. Thanks!
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by DECOtech(m): 2:37am On Jul 22, 2014
mishooo: I think it has a lot to do with our weather sort of cos i had to almost buy a toks brain box last week but was lucky a colleague told me mine could be repaired at Ladipo. I just hope it wouldn't need any repairs again.
If you blame it on weather, what do you have to say about. States in the USA that are geographically close to the earth's equator just like Nigeria? States like Texas, Los Angeles etc. Ignorance in our country takes all the blame. There's nothing wrong with our weather.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by Apemanharry: 6:44pm On Feb 25, 2022
chyket:
He really does not need to buy another brain box,I have a guy who fixes brainbox here in Lagos .what he does is just to trace the faulty portion and most times just replaces it.I am an auto dealer and he has done so many for me

What's his contact and how can one reach him?
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by sultaan(m): 9:47pm On Feb 26, 2022
Standard rule of repairs to any electrical component on a cr is to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery but because our mechanics do some fireworks � demonstration to impress users they know what they are doing, they end up frying circuits sometimes. That is why cars don't usually develop computer fault after a mechanics midas touch

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. / Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.