Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man (23196 Views)

I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. / Lady In Tears After Reducing Her Age To Get A Job She Qualified For With Her Rea / Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Nobody: 2:24pm On Feb 05, 2019
Jestin:
Only in 9ja......We need a new Nigeria...FCT
FCT kor ..Abuja ni!
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Nobody: 2:24pm On Feb 05, 2019
SoNature:
Religion has messed up our brains in Nigeria embarassed

Am telling you..

I am on a foreign forum like that, they never made reference to anything like Thank God,if not for God, Village people bla bla bla and i wondered why are they like that...

They find solid explanation to everything that happens

2 Likes

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by logon599: 2:25pm On Feb 05, 2019
When you hear such it's usually in jobs where you don't require specific previous technical skills. Eg banking. If you somehow manage to get a job you don't only qualify but don't also have the neccessary skills to do, it's only a matter of time you can't sustain that job. Someone can't come and share a testimony that he got employed as a doctor without sufficient knowledge of what it takes to be a doctor. Even God won't allow that kind of miracle come your way. You really don't require a lot of technical skills to be a banker in Nigeria for example. Just be generally bright and willing to learn cos most of these organizations spend money and time training new intakes. So I see nothing wrong in that kind of testimony neither do I believe it means mediocrity.

5 Likes

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Patrinus: 2:25pm On Feb 05, 2019
somehow:
Hopefully a quack doctor will attend to you or a relative. Hope you will repeat what you wrote here then?

Ahahaha! I know better than to go to quack doctors or substandard hospitals.

Perhaps, I should explain myself better. I am a competent and professional Engineer with foreign certification to back it up. The job I was promoted to handle was reserved for expatriates. I was given a trial and performed well, hence I got the job. . . no nepotism or tribalism or whatever goes on in the civil service.

Need I remind you that my kinda job can't be done by incompetent folks, you're either with it or not!
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Nobody: 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2019
Jestin:
Only in 9ja......We need a new Nigeria...FCT
Abuja
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Athena4: 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2019
BlackPantherCri:
Sha mind your business. If someone gets a good job even if he is overqualified or underqualified in this present day Nigeria, he should also do Thanksgiving in church!
Yes o... until you realize that your doc was a theater arts student. After all "theater" dey the title.

2 Likes

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by somehow: 2:30pm On Feb 05, 2019
Not talking about your job but other jobs since you're giving excuses for unqualified people mounting positions.

Expartiate job has nothing to do with qualifications but class. 2 different things!
Patrinus:

Ahahaha! I know better than to go to quack doctors or substandard hospitals.

Perhaps, I should explain myself better. I am a competent and professional Engineer with foreign certification to back it up. The job I was promoted to handle was reserved for expatriates. I was given a trial and performed well, hence I got the job. . . no nepotism or tribalism or whatever goes on in the civil service.

Need I remind you that my kinda job can't be done by incompetent folks, you're either with it or not!

2 Likes

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Amalekki: 2:32pm On Feb 05, 2019
ehix89:
We are taking this mind your business clichè a little bit too far.
Because we tend not to understand the meaning of 'our business'. Unqualified people in vital positions affect the entire society. Unsuccessful private businesses affect the whole economy the same way poorly managed public offices do. An online scammer in FESTAC does not understand that he may have cost his country one or two datacenters/multinationals that may employ thousands of people etc due to perception in the corporate circle, same way the unqualified foreign service officer at the ministry of foreign affairs is doing. Our people still don't understand how everything is interrelated.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Tajbol4splend(m): 2:34pm On Feb 05, 2019
Sugarplum777:
Congratulations

U got a job & ur happy

When ur mates are busy having rich sugar daddy & buying Benz...

Rubbish
Next pls tongue

Be warned, better don't let me slap you in the ass
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by lincsnuel: 2:38pm On Feb 05, 2019
Christians refer to it as "Grace" I call it a product of a failed country. This gives way to mediocrity and in the long run, puts the country in a mess...

3 Likes

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Ghostmode2two(m): 2:39pm On Feb 05, 2019
one of the lies told by our bling bling pastors. How can you get a job you are not qualified for? Until you as a bricklayer gets the job of a surgeon then I will believe that you got a job you never qualified for. Nonsense!!!

1 Like

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Focusmind: 2:39pm On Feb 05, 2019
I am sure some people will say even the president got a job he is not qualified.
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by olaitonto(m): 2:44pm On Feb 05, 2019
Your professional skill may not be your predominant goal, Doctors become pastors, pastors become, vice president. Not being qualified educationally, doesn't mean u can't do d job. But u must have a certified technical-know-how, which makes you alternatively qualified.
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Forreellinc: 2:46pm On Feb 05, 2019
the "qualified" people were once not qualified as well, you have to start somewhere, the employers are not stupid they know what they saw before picking him .
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 05, 2019
So? So what? So? People can not be qualified for many reasons and not that they cannot do the job. In most cases qualification is based on connection in Nigeria. And the other factor is certification (degrees). I am not against certifications, but experience is far better. So, in the Nigerian context, "I got a job I am not qualified for" is more of not having high certification. The person who gave the testimony might not even realise that he/she is the right candidate with the minimum qualification. We always feel intimidated with american, Canadian or British degrees. Whereas, they are all dullards. Be confident of yourself even you did not go to school as long as you have the experience and can speak good English. Also, it can mean that I got a job without any old man at the top.
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by guru90: 2:48pm On Feb 05, 2019
Arinze na confirm Mugu!!!!
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Patrinus: 2:49pm On Feb 05, 2019
somehow:
Not talking about your job but other jobs since you're giving excuses for unqualified people mounting positions.

It behooves whoever is hiring to do the right thing, as explained earlier mine was not based on prejudice but solely on competence.

somehow:

Expartiate job has nothing to do with qualifications but class. 2 different things!

Guy, dem nor dey use class work for gas plant, else you might burn down a whole state!

You need to be TUC certified to work as a safety instrumented system engineer in a gas plant doing 1.2 billion SCFD.

Like I said this ain't the civil service and I don't know how things are done in other sectors of the country, where I work, competence is the order of the day!
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by ChyOmaa(f): 2:51pm On Feb 05, 2019
If you get a job you're not qualified for, don't accept it ooooooh! undecided
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by ngwababe(f): 2:59pm On Feb 05, 2019
Deicide:
You understand English so?

No mind her, illiterates every where! undecided
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Nobody: 3:01pm On Feb 05, 2019
iyke926:
Minister of power, housing - Lawyer

Minister of petroleum - a cow rearer

FIRS, NNPC workers - Most workers studied Islamic studies

Walk into Nigerian banks ...engineers and geologists.

Failed system

Aptly captured, You have no idea how accurate you are. And under this PMB the situation is getting worse

2 Likes

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by dazzlingd(m): 3:10pm On Feb 05, 2019
It is a religious problem.. People celebrate and pray for miracle alert, someones money oo, ole people.theives
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by dazzlingd(m): 3:13pm On Feb 05, 2019
ChyOmaa:

And you are about to be operated by a surgeon who isn't 't qualified....before u say rubbish, offer your building work to an engineer that is not qualified
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 05, 2019
Dailyhappenings:
What do you think?

source: https://www.musictori.com/2019/02/getting-job-you-didnt-apply-for.html

Rubbish.

The best companies like shell etc will often tell starters...."come as you are and we will mold you"

Some technical multinational companies send staffs for a month or two training after employment.

Not been qualified does not necessarily mean you cannot be the best man for the job after a few period of experience and on-the -job training.

1 Like

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by sharpwriter(m): 3:38pm On Feb 05, 2019
ChyOmaa:

Chioma Blessing
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 05, 2019
Triangles1:
OTOGE for all the ineptitude leaders and civil servants that are not qualify for a post/job.

OTOGE
are you from kwara state
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Gerrard59(m): 3:40pm On Feb 05, 2019
iyke926:

Failed system

There's nothing wrong with engineers or geologists or any other non-finance professional working in banks. One's first degree has little to do with job prospects but rather with cognitive skills. Mind you, this is not a "Nigerian" thing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 05, 2019
Deicide:
You understand English so?
she has problem with comprehension
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Ranchhoddas: 4:10pm On Feb 05, 2019
In the past I would have supported this guy's train of thought. My thought processes are gradually evolving.
There is a Greater Principle at work in our lives, the reaches of which our finite minds may not even be able to fully grasp.
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by irumole1975: 4:37pm On Feb 05, 2019
cana882:
Not really.. Sometimes, the employer sees something in the applicant that fits the position or role advertised which the applicant is not even aware of. Maybe his academic qualifications are below requirement, but he may possess a skill or experience pertinent to the role.

Thought these ogas above have something relevant to contribute to the topic. Your actions can be compared to joining an ATM queue because you want to transfer money and refusing to do that in a machine that's working but not dispersing cash. Waste!!

My brother, If everything is working well in Nigeria, then nearly all the ATMs will be working

Idiotic mofos

Omo ale jatijati
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by tunize(m): 4:44pm On Feb 05, 2019
Patrinus:
Not being qualified for a job doesn't mean you can't perform excellently well if given the opportunity. You could self-develop with a lot of online stuff and tutorials.

I should know, I've done it! wink
i'm telling don't be surprised the kind of qualify the guy is even talking about is jst"the regular you must not be 26yrs of age with 6yrs working experience e.t.c. (that one is like death sentence, mayb the dude jst applied and he got it.).
Re: 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man by Ugosample(m): 4:50pm On Feb 05, 2019
iyke926:

Failed system
failed system indeed

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Providus Bank Recruitment Through Kennedia Consulting Ltd / Over Staying In A Company / Diamond Bank Collecting CV's For Test In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.