Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,658 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures (9636 Views)

NNPC Refineries Generate Zero Revenue, Pay Workers ₦69 Billion / NNPC: Refineries Gulped ₦81.41 Billion, Refined Zero Crude For 8 Months / Atiku Must Tell Us Who He’s Planning To Sell NNPC To - Bismarck Rewane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Oceannaagent: 12:34pm On Feb 06, 2019
AllenSpencer:

Tell one government privatization that has worked fine.

They don't privatize it as should be done, they share to friends and well wishers.

Mention just one that has worked after privatization. Just one!
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Oceannaagent: 12:34pm On Feb 06, 2019
AllenSpencer:

Tell one government privatization that has worked fine.

They don't privatize it as should be done, they share to friends and well wishers.

Mention just one that has worked after privatization. Just one!
That's Nigeria politicians for you, in a sane countries, private sector controls most of the economies and things are working well

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by theoldpretender(m): 12:37pm On Feb 06, 2019
lexy2014:

Is it subsidy that is preventing d refineries from working?

In answering that...here is how subsidy works.

Suppose I am selling yam,and I bought the yam from the farmer at N1500 per yam (HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION....please!)

Iplan to sell the yams at N2200 per yam,and make a profit of N700 per yam..so that I can recoup my transport costs, pay my workers,pay my eight kids school fees, and save some cash towards my house building project.

Goverment steps in,and asks me to sell yam at N1300, and pays me a 'subsidy' of N200 per yam.

In essence, government is bankrupting me. And now...imagine goverment does this to every yam seller in the country.

Subsidy for fuel has been around since the 1970's....and since that time, what government does is make NNPC sell fuel below the production cost of that fuel....and they pay NNPC the difference between the production cost and the actual price.

Which means NNPC barely has enough cash to fix refineries....and add the corruption and sabotage and 'government business is not my buiness'mentality there....and you have bad refinereis, and lack of cash to buildnew ones.

(Which is partly why Atiku wants to privatise refineries.Now...I think Atiku is too corrupt...and isn't fit to be president...but he does have a point.)

The problem is, either we run NNPC as a COMPANY or we admit it is a government office and run it as such.

3 Likes

Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by dadark: 12:38pm On Feb 06, 2019
Binikingdowm:
Mumu

So that you people can continue to steal through it abi?

The Niger delta are in support of atiku plan.. getnigeriaworking

you and who....??...who made you spokes person for all Niger deltans....??

the system should be fixed and not sellin everything....

public assets shouldnt be sold....you have no right to privatise all of them....
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by sogodihno: 12:45pm On Feb 06, 2019
Dpharisee:
Refineries that gulp billions every year in the guise of turn around maintenance.
Sell NNPC, let Nigerians be shareholders in the company with a prudent management based on capacity and competence and not the current ethnicized NNPC where appointment is reserved for children of the elites embarassed

The ones they sold in the past. Where are the results
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Bizibi(m): 12:52pm On Feb 06, 2019
baralatie:

if you don't sell subsidy will remain
gbam
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by megacity: 12:54pm On Feb 06, 2019
So the FG want NNPC and the refineries to remain inefficient and citadels of corruption!

Dumb government
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Bizibi(m): 12:54pm On Feb 06, 2019
dadark:

you and who....??...who made you spokes person for all Niger deltans....??

the system should be fixed and not sellin everything....

public assets shouldnt be sold....you have no right to privatise all of them....
I'm a Niger deltan and they should sell part of that rotten corporation.
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Nobody: 12:56pm On Feb 06, 2019
femmy2010:

Same way it was done to NEPA and you keep paying huge estimates billing for what you did not use .
They should not sell it before. SAUDI ARAMCO is government owned and functioning great .

I feel your pain. I am not happy too; however, the first and the toughest hurdle is privatising it which has been done. Not selling it was stucking at level zero. We are now at level 1 in power.

By the way, Nitel was at level zero for many years. And boom, it went from 0 to what level now? Guy, if OBJ did not sell NITEL, you will not have the priviledge to express yourself here.

So, the child who moved from zero level to 1 is ok. Buhari is just funny. He has a big Dangote who is building a refinery. Can you not add one plus one? They also said they will ban importation of tomato this year. Hmmmm! Dangote has oil refinery. Dangote has tomato paste industry. Hmmmm! And the same Dangote was chosen as one of Buhari's strategist and adviser, before he came out to challenge it and have them remove it. Who does not know Dangote is playing his games well. And Femi Ote$, the nice fast follower quickly sold all his shares in forte to move to upstream .....towards refining.

Guy, must we say all out from A to Z before you understand the game?

I am not routing for Atiku, but I need him or someone else destroy the APC stronghold. APC is only enriching few dangotes and Ote$. The likes of Danjuma are losing out and they are crying. grin All old generals are all suffering under PMB. Well, not bad at all. I love it. I enjoy it. But he is making Dangote extremely too rich without him working for it. Let Dangote prove his worth to be on the level of Mr. Gates and Mr. Buffet. Let him stop hiding under the monopoly advantage of the Nigerian govt.

But seriously, Dangote is a don. I give it to him. If Gates has the opportunity to monopolize any industry, he will take it. But as an analyst, I have to balance my contents. Dangote should be left alone without any extra support to prove himself as the giant billionaire of Africa about to be among the top 5 in the world. Let Dangote do it without any help from APC. No wonder one minute he was by Jonathan before 2015 election result was announced, and the moment Jonathan conceeded, he ran to Buhari's side. If Jonathan had refused, he would have stayed with him.

Let us be realistic. Government should sell everything. I agree with Atiku on this. But he should not try what he did in 2003 when OBJ allowed him supervise the privatisation then. So, I do not trust him. But that is still the way to go. So, Tall sugarcane stem from Daura must return to his village to try and practicalize his economic skills with his cattles. Not anymore on the Nigerian economy. He has done enough damage.

It is a matter of time, Saudi will sell its own too. It is always the way to go. No one believed women will be allowed to drive cars or go for football games in stadia. Hmmmm.
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by erico2k2(m): 12:59pm On Feb 06, 2019
theoldpretender:
Well, if you are not selling refinereis...then allow subsidy to go so that NNPC can function as a proper company, raise enough cash to fix all its refineries AND build new ones, and finally end all this subsidy cabal corruption stuff.
That's will never happen.The whole shared money comes from there
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 06, 2019
theoldpretender:
Well, if you are not selling refinereis...then allow subsidy to go so that NNPC can function as a proper company, raise enough cash to fix all its refineries AND build new ones, and finally end all this subsidy cabal corruption stuff.

Excellent suggestion. But guess what, subsidy will not go. It will never go away with your option. The beneficiaries are there to stay. Why? They are assassins and cabals. So, the best is just to eradicate the business by selling NNPC. There is nowhere govt will have money to pay for any subsidy after selling it. So, oil cabals are gone forever. The issue of subsidy is gone forever too.

But APC or any other govt are always afraid to sell NNPc. Even obj made hinself the oil minister. Same with buhari. The person who could have sold it is Jonathan. But the man no get balls. Cabals threatened him I think. And i think Atiku should just do it. He gat the balls. The reason Buhari, obj cannot sell it is cos of money for election. Osinbajo too will never sell it. But look at Atiku, he can fund his campaign without depending on NNPC money. So, he gat the balls to sell it. (Not talking about how Atiku got his money from as that is a different subject)

I still do not think Atiku is the best option, but out of what we have now, it seems he is the one to be given the job with that smart Obi behind him. Better we have Osinbajo and Obi. But can they have the balls to face these cabals?

2 Likes

Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by dadark: 1:15pm On Feb 06, 2019
Bizibi:
I'm a Niger deltan and they should sell part of that rotten corporation.

dont sell anything....let them funktion like a real company for once....away with subsidy....

na you will still complain when it still doesnt work after you sold it,and private owners will show you the middle finger and strangle you even more....

dont mess with business people....they are their to make business and not to be your friend....
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by obailala(m): 1:19pm On Feb 06, 2019
And what exactly is the benefit to Nigerians if the FG keeps holding on to state assets which it will NEVER be able to manage efficiently?... Nonsense!
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by dadark: 1:21pm On Feb 06, 2019
Privettoall:

Excellent suggestion. But guess what, subsidy will not go. It will never go away with your option. The beneficiaries are there to stay. Why? They are assassins and cabals. So, the best is just to eradicate the business by selling NNPC. There is nowhere govt will have money to pay for any subsidy after selling it. So, oil cabals are gone forever. The issue of subsidy is gone forever too.

But APC or any other govt are always afraid to sell NNPc. Even obj made hinself the oil minister. Same with buhari. The person who could have sold it is Jonathan. But the man no get balls. Cabals threatened him I think. And i think Atiku should just do it. He gat the balls. The reason Buhari, obj cannot sell it is cos of money for election. Osinbajo too will never sell it. But look at Atiku, he can fund his campaign without depending on NNPC money. So, he gat the balls to sell it. (Not talking about there Atiku got his money from as that is a different subject)

I still do not think Atiku is the best option, but out of what we have now, it seems he is the one to be given the job with that smart Obi behind him. Better we have Osinbajo and Obi. But can they have the balls to face these cabals?

and why is nepa stil not workin....??

goverment is still buildin powerplants themselfs....why are discos not buildin anything.....??

when did you hear last that a discos built a powerplant....??

privatisation is a bad idea with greedy people like nigerians....

where is that greedy guy posting bet this bet that....??...that is a typical nigerian for you....

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by dadark: 1:24pm On Feb 06, 2019
first understand yourselves,then make the next move....
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Cityguy: 1:31pm On Feb 06, 2019
Does anybody sell his or her cash cows? Monies from these inefficient, shady, corruption ridden ventures are easily accessed by those in power, so why sell them?

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Nobody: 1:35pm On Feb 06, 2019
dadark:

and why is nepa stil not workin....??

goverment is still buildin powerplants themselfs....why are discos not buildin anything.....??

when did you hear last that a discos built a powerplant....??

privatisation is a bad idea with greedy people like nigerians....

where is that greedy guy posting bet this bet that....??...that is a typical nigerian for you....

Check my recent posts. You get my response to NEPA issue. If NEPA is still existing, it will be worse today.

You are typing this because NITEL was privatised. If not, I am sure we will all be cut off from the world. If you know how those nitel black cables were so disgusting in those days, you will not write this. If you are still waiting in the sun for hours trying to use those useless nitel phone booths only in Lagos State, you will not type this.

Bless you bro!

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by dadark: 1:37pm On Feb 06, 2019
Privettoall:

Check my recent posts. You get my response to NEPA issue. If NEPA is still existing, it will be worse today.

You are typing your ignorance because NITEL was privatised. If you know how those nitel black cables were so disgusting in those days, you will not write this.

Bless you bro!

yeah yeah...nepa disappeared into thin air...na the same nepa joor....

because you call a chicken something else,it will still remain a chicken and behave like a chicken....
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by theoldpretender(m): 1:54pm On Feb 06, 2019
Privettoall:

You are typing this because NITEL was privatised. If not, I am sure we will all be cut off from the world. If you know how those nitel black cables were so disgusting in those days, you will not write this. If you are still waiting in the sun for hours trying to use those useless nitel phone booths only in Lagos State, you will not type this.

Bless you bro!

NITEL failed because they lost the technology war to the GSM and CDMA operators.

Once the GSM operators in particular got past their teething problems (yes, there are still issues...but things were FAR worse)...NITEL was doomed. Yes, NTEL (it's GSM subsidary) tried...but they did not have the sweeteners that MTN, now AIRTEL and GLO had....especially when they got into the internet era.

Then there was that privatisiaiton saga.

P.S...Nitel card booths worked very well in the late 1990's and early 2000's...but they were doomed by GSM.
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by theoldpretender(m): 1:56pm On Feb 06, 2019
dadark:

yeah yeah...nepa disappeared into thin air...na the same nepa joor....

because you call a chicken something else,it will still remain a chicken and behave like a chicken....

The DISCOS and GENCOS are not functioning well because the law governing privatisation had a clause allowing government to control the prices of electricity sold.

In essence , many DISCOS are operating at a loss...so they cannot pay adequately for power from the GENCOS....and as such funding for power generation and transmission is low.

That's why things are not better.
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by baralatie(m): 2:20pm On Feb 06, 2019
bkool7:

If we refine locally there be no need for subsidy

Nigerians have to get certain benefits as an oil producing country.
Since the past govt had failed to invest on infracstructure, electricity and our refineries this will continue to subsidizeso Nigerians can afford it
all the refineries are designed to produce petroleum products locally but the price,cost is being subsidized. therefore the refineries are running at a loss which eventually falls back on the fg.and whether we like it or not allow for all the problems we are seeing both at the refineries and at the fg accounts
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Nobody: 3:20pm On Feb 06, 2019
theoldpretender:

NITEL failed because they lost the technology war to the GSM and CDMA operators.

Once the GSM operators in particular got past their teething problems (yes, there are still issues...but things were FAR worse)...NITEL was doomed. Yes, NTEL (it's GSM subsidary) tried...but they did not have the sweeteners that MTN, now AIRTEL and GLO had....especially when they got into the internet era.

Then there was that privatisiaiton saga.

P.S...Nitel card booths worked very well in the late 1990's and early 2000's...but they were doomed by GSM.

Thanks for butressing my point sir. However, to us the booths worked because we had no other alternative. And NITEL failed to move us to the next level. They preferred we stay in the sun and queue for many hours just to make calls. But just within a month that OBJ brought GSM, everything changed. If OBJ did not bring GSM, perhaps NITEL, will still be making more booths and we are going to think.....yeah. it is working. But GSM had been in existence prior to that time. And it was obvious like you said that NITEL gallantly failed to compete with the private comm coys. You said it yourself. And NTEL which was the arm of NITEL that tried GSM collapsed despite all effort to save it. Where is it today? Meaning, it was not in the plan of NITEL to move us to this level we are today. Are we not using the same tech used in these advance countries now? Why couldn't NITEL bring the latest at that time? What NITeL gave us then worked cos we had no other option.

Therefore, the only option that will give birth of numerous options is PRIVATISATION. An adage says "A child that never leaves his father's farm thinks the farm is the biggest". NITEL and its booth are first class failure if you ask me. I still remember those big analog mobile phones that only rich powerful men carried about in those days. And they pay heavy money. NITEL was a failure.

Government has no business doing business. Ask any good economist of business guy. Govt's business is to work hand in hand with the legislative and judiciary arms to bring out good policies. It is as simple as ABC sir.

But you defintely are a good analyst. Respect! But on this one sir, you need to route for privatisation. No other way around. Let them sell all. Not remaining 1. Even sell Buhari to Sudan as Jubrin. I do not mind. grin

Bless you!
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by COMPAQ(m): 3:48pm On Feb 06, 2019
sagio09:
U sold NigAirways- No result
U sold Nitel - No result
U sold NEPA - No result
Naw to want to sell NNPC to urself and cronies, God will not allow you D ugly looking thiefing pig.

I'm not aware nigeria airways was ever sold but even if it was at least you have now you have arik you have air peace e that you can fly now. In respect to nitel it was sold and ntel is currently working and in any event you have mtn, 9mobile airtel currently working and offering better service so I don't see what your problem is and as regards power, the issue with nepa is very well known and that's because the tariff is just not cost reflective simple. the minute the tariff is cost reflective then we will see improved investment in the business
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by sagio09: 4:23pm On Feb 06, 2019
COMPAQ:

I'm not aware nigeria airways was ever sold but even if it was at least you have now you have arik you have air peace e that you can fly now. In respect to nitel it was sold and ntel is currently working and in any event you have mtn, 9mobile airtel currently working and offering better service so I don't see what your problem is and as regards power, the issue with nepa is very well known and that's because the tariff is just not cost reflective simple. the minute the tariff is cost reflective then we will see improved investment in the business
Naw if i say ur PAPA u go vex, y u come mention?
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by urahara(m): 5:32pm On Feb 06, 2019
theoldpretender:

The DISCOS and GENCOS are not functioning well because the law governing privatisation had a clause allowing government to control the prices of electricity sold.

In essence , many DISCOS are operating at a loss...so they cannot pay adequately for power from the GENCOS....and as such funding for power generation and transmission is low.

That's why things are not better.

Another reason I heard is that it's because they don't have deep pockets , how true is this ?
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by theoldpretender(m): 5:34pm On Feb 06, 2019
urahara:

Another reason I heard is that it's because they don't have deep pockets , how true is this ?

Don't know about that...but the fact that they cannot make enough money might be a factor in their not having deep pockets too.
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by urahara(m): 5:42pm On Feb 06, 2019
theoldpretender:

Don't know about that...but the fact that they cannot make enough money might be a factor in their not having deep pockets too.

True though , but I wonder what's so difficult in the govt deregulating the power sector ? They don't need to discover electricity , electricity hAs already been discovered , all we have to do is deregulate .

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by lexy2014: 6:13pm On Feb 06, 2019
theoldpretender:

In answering that...here is how subsidy works.

Suppose I am selling yam,and I bought the yam from the farmer at N1500 per yam (HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION....please!)

Iplan to sell the yams at N2200 per yam,and make a profit of N700 per yam..so that I can recoup my transport costs, pay my workers,pay my eight kids school fees, and save some cash towards my house building project.

Goverment steps in,and asks me to sell yam at N1300, and pays me a 'subsidy' of N200 per yam.

In essence, government is bankrupting me. And now...imagine goverment does this to every yam seller in the country.

Subsidy for fuel has been around since the 1970's....and since that time, what government does is make NNPC sell fuel below the production cost of that fuel....and they pay NNPC the difference between the production cost and the actual price.

Which means NNPC barely has enough cash to fix refineries....and add [b]the corruption and sabotage [/b]and 'government business is not my buiness'mentality there....and you have bad refinereis, and lack of cash to buildnew ones.

(Which is partly why Atiku wants to privatise refineries.Now...I think Atiku is too corrupt...and isn't fit to be president...but he does have a point.)

The problem is, either we run NNPC as a COMPANY or we admit it is a government office and run it as such.

I understand ur point about fuel subsidy but it has nothing 2do with d state of d refineries. D main reasons are as u mentioned, corruption & sabotage. Monies were always allocated 4 TAM but they were never used 4d purpose. There was always a deliberate attempt 2 cripple d refineries especially from d IBB/Abacha era. Subsequent administrations had maintained d status quo not because of lack of funds or because refineries weren't making profit, but because it was an avenue to enrich themselves. D use of fuel subsidy & lack of funds is an excuse 2 perpetuate d status quo
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Mitchewww(m): 6:14pm On Feb 06, 2019
But you nearly sold NLNG

Hypothetical unrepentant coupist
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by Shanana1(m): 8:44pm On Feb 06, 2019
Binikingdowm:
Mumu

So that you people can continue to steal through it abi?

The Niger delta are in support of atiku plan.. getnigeriaworking
so to u na to cut off head be d medicine for headache?
Re: We Won’t Sell NNPC, Refineries, FG Assures by femmy2010(m): 6:26am On Feb 07, 2019
Privettoall:

Bless you bro!

My brother, GSM would have come in the end even if NITEL was not sold off at a small fraction of its value.
Privatization is not one to be done by A thief Atiku with an history of Privatizatiob done wrong .
PMB is not the very best but certainly a much better option than Atiku.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bandits Kill One In Gurmana, Kidnap 10 People; Set Houses Ablaze, Rustle Cattle / Amosun Sacks Ambali, Ogun NLC Chairman & 6 Others From Active Service / Why Do Igbo Men (anambra) Do This??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.