Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? (2337 Views)

Nigerian Navy Rescues Ghanaian Fishermen In The Ocean Near Dangote Port, Lekki / Man Narrates The Kind Of Wonder Creatures Living In The Ocean / ₦467.4Billion, A City On The Ocean, World's Largest Cruise Ship(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ibkayee(f): 8:28pm On Feb 06, 2019
Couldn’t think of any other section to put this.

Which do you find scarier? Space or the ocean?

1 Share

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 06, 2019
Space ofc...for obvious reasons.
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by pocohantas(f): 8:45pm On Feb 06, 2019
Is this question for Nigerians living in Ogbomoso or Obigbo?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ibkayee(f): 8:46pm On Feb 06, 2019
pocohantas:
Is this question for Nigerians, living in Ogbomoso or Obigbo?

Lmao
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ignant: 8:49pm On Feb 06, 2019
The ocean has been conquered and completely demystified centuries ago.

On the contrary, mankind know very little about space. The far side of the moon (the second spatial body mankind has landed craft) is just been studied. To put it in perspective, there are millions more spatial bodies yet to be explored.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by whitebeard(m): 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2019
Space oh
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by whitebeard(m): 8:56pm On Feb 06, 2019
ignant:

On the contrary, mankind know very little about space. The far side of the moon (the second spatial body mankind has landed craft) is just been studied. To put it in perspective, there are millions more spatial bodies yet to be explored.
remove "completely" smiley

8 Likes

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ibkayee(f): 9:03pm On Feb 06, 2019
ignant:

We’ve explored more of it than space but I don’t know if conquered is the word I’d use, what we’ve discovered of it is barely anything when you take into account it’s size

But I guess there’s just something scarier about the ‘more’ unknown i.e. space

1 Like

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ignant: 9:05pm On Feb 06, 2019
whitebeard:
remove "completely" smiley

There is no mystery under the sea. Whatever is discovered has already had its taxonomy classified.

An example of the explanation above is when Mendeleev developed the periodic table. He predicted the discovery of new elements and even left spaces for them.

1 Like

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ignant: 9:11pm On Feb 06, 2019
ibkayee:

We’ve explored more of it than space but I don’t know if conquered is the word I’d use, what we’ve discovered of it is barely anything when you take into account it’s size

But I guess there’s just something scarier about the ‘more’ unknown i.e. space

"Conquered" is the word. You are being cautious which is actually a trait of an educated mind. I urge you to look into the field of oceanography.

Many explorers paved the way so we could run through.
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by sod09(m): 9:22pm On Feb 06, 2019
Ocean..you can mistakenly find yourself in the ocean unlike the space

1 Like

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by Olalekank(m): 10:20pm On Feb 06, 2019
pocohantas:

What's the point of this comment?

3 Likes

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by Breegz14(m): 11:24pm On Feb 06, 2019
Though space is unending and has a lot of things that could kill you like black hole and gamma ray i feel the ocean is scarier because it's much closer and there's still a lot we don't know about it

5 Likes

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Feb 08, 2019
pocohantas:

Lol... This is heart-rending some how!
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by RobinRay(m): 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2019
ignant:

This isn't entirely true.

First of all, mankind has landed about 12 individuals on the Moon, sent numerous space probes deep into the cosmos, we have detailed maps of Mars and other planets, the Hubble Space Telescope has captured images of galaxies and nebulas light years away from the Earth, and so on.

On the other hand, only 3 people have descended into the deepest part of the ocean located in the Mariana Trench. What's even more shocking is that the ocean takes up about 71 percent of Earth's space, yet a whopping 95 percent of that ocean is completely unexplored.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by OyinbowithaTan(m): 10:41pm On Feb 08, 2019
Space is more scary.
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by TMKsouth: 12:07am On Feb 09, 2019
The ocean.
Plenty known predators down there, big and small.

No proven predators in outta space though, other than climatic hazards that can be overcome with tech advancement. Mars One Mission is in advanced stages to permanently colonize Mars (future inhabitants currently being selected, Africans included). Same can't be said bout the deepest depths of the ocean -and for a reason. It's inhospitable. Just thinking bout it makes me hyperventilate.

14 Likes

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ignant: 1:18pm On Feb 09, 2019
RobinRay:

This isn't entirely true.

First of all, mankind has landed about 12 individuals on the Moon, sent numerous space probes deep into the cosmos, we have detailed maps of Mars and other planets, the Hubble Space Telescope has captured images of galaxies and nebulas light years away from the Earth, and so on.

On the other hand, only 3 people have descended into the deepest part of the ocean located in the Mariana Trench. What's even more shocking is that the ocean takes up about 71 percent of Earth's space, yet a whopping 95 percent of that ocean is completely unexplored.

It's always amusing when I get presented with opinions on Nairaland. More times than not, I tend to discover, on further research, that these opinions are not only lifted from other sources, they are also uncited, and most mischievously, are misrepresented.

This sir, quoted me with a statement he lifted from this website https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/oceanography/deep-ocean-exploration.htm but he deceptively left out the first statement they made which answered the question they asked " Considering that we don't know how big space is (or even if there's just one universe ), we can say with reasonable certainty that we probably know more about the ocean than we do about the cosmos."

Now, to put this question to numerate perspective, let me cite the top ranked answer to this question on Quora
All the stars, planets and galaxies that can be seen today make up just 4 percent of the universe . The other 96 percent is made of stuff astronomers can 't see, detect or even comprehend. These mysterious substances are called dark energy and dark matter.

And the universe is still expanding (the objects in space are moving more farther away from each other) {Extra-our observable universe is some 93 billion light-years wide (give or take a few light-years). These 93 some odd billion light-years contain all of the quarks, quasars, stars, planets, nebulae, black holes…and everything else that we could possibly observe; however, the observable universeonly contains the light that has had time to reach us.

A lot more universe exists beyond what we are able to observe. (It's nearly impossible for us to explore or discover the Whole
Space).
https://www.quora.com/Do-we-know-more-about-space-or-our-oceans
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by SamzackD(m): 1:48pm On Feb 09, 2019
being Aquaphobic, I'll rather get lost in space than in the ocean...

2 Likes

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by SamzackD(m): 1:57pm On Feb 09, 2019
ignant:

It's always amusing when I get presented with opinions on Nairaland. More times than not, I tend to discover, on further research, that these opinions are not only lifted from other sources, they are also uncited, and most mischievously, are misrepresented.

This sir, quoted me with a statement he lifted from this website https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/oceanography/deep-ocean-exploration.htm but he deceptively left out the first statement they made which answered the question they asked " Considering that we don't know how big space is (or even if there's just one universe ), we can say with reasonable certainty that we probably know more about the ocean than we do about the cosmos."

Now, to put this question to numerate perspective, let me cite the top ranked answer to this question on Quora https://www.quora.com/Do-we-know-more-about-space-or-our-oceans

it still doesn't change the fact that only 5% of our ocean has been explored by man, even with all the submarines being sunk yearly, we can't tell what lies at the depth of the ocean,

while in your first statement you said the ocean has been "conquered and completely demystified", whereas that is not true... so you're wrong! my friend

as for space, I agree with you, it's too large and unknown for man to explore totally, but I believe we will get there gradually, but first we have to discover means of travelling with the speed of light.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ifyalways(f): 2:08pm On Feb 09, 2019
No brainer : Space.

With the right gear, any dummy can dive into the ocean and out safely, same can't be said for Space.
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ignant: 2:45pm On Feb 09, 2019
SamzackD:

it still doesn't change the fact that only 5% of our ocean has been explored by man, even with all the submarines being sunk yearly, we can't tell what lies at the depth of the ocean,

while in your first statement you said the ocean has been "conquered and completely demystified", whereas that is not true... so you're wrong! my friend

as for space, I agree with you, it's too large and unknown for man to explore totally, but I believe we will get there gradually, but first we have to discover means of travelling with the speed of light.

I admit, that statement of mine was too patronizing.

More of the ocean has been explored than space. The accepted fact about space is that it may never be fully explored. The factors militating against this are numerous but the most grievous of them is that Space is not bound by boundary-it is continually expanding. Also the implication of this on "Time" is disturbing.

A very contextual point I think a few people are missing here is the motive of space research. The ocean as it stands today, does not hold the same value to governments and private investors.

Science these days is propelled by capitalism- profit. The mind boggling sums governments are dedicating to space research will, perhaps, never be dedicated to ocean research. The ocean has been patterned, while most parts have not been explored, they have been taxonomied greatly, this is unlike space, where no one can tell what you will run into.

To travel with the speed of light, mankind will have to break a fundamental law of physics (E= mc^2). Our physical body will not be able to cope. https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/what-if/what-if-faster-than-speed-of-light.htm

2 Likes

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by Sprintson(m): 3:40pm On Feb 09, 2019
ifyalways:

With the right gear, any dummy can dive into the ocean and out safely, same can't be said for Space.

who said ?
am an oceanographer with a degree in aquaculture and about due for a course abroad on remotely operated underwater vehicles... my people the ocean is scary really scary... we only know about 5 percent of it...
there are certain times you would really realize how mysterious the world is when u get underwater

5 Likes

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 09, 2019
pocohantas:

So you stay in PH?
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by SamzackD(m): 7:37pm On Feb 09, 2019
ignant:

I admit, that statement of mine was too patronizing.

More of the ocean has been explored than space. The accepted fact about space is that it may never be fully explored. The factors militating against this are numerous but the most grievous of them is that Space is not bound by boundary-it is continually expanding. Also the implication of this on "Time" is disturbing.

A very contextual point I think a few people are missing here is the motive of space research. The ocean as it stands today, does not hold the same value to governments and private investors.

Science these days is propelled by capitalism- profit. The mind boggling sums governments are dedicating to space research will, perhaps, never be dedicated to ocean research. The ocean has been patterned, while most parts have not been explored, they have been taxonomied greatly, this is unlike space, where no one can tell what you will run into.

To travel with the speed of light, mankind will have to break a fundamental law of physics (E= mc^2). Our physical body will not be able to cope. https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/what-if/what-if-faster-than-speed-of-light.htm

You are right, but

Capitalism is not bad in exploration, cause what good is a venture if not for profit, and moreover all major exploration were led with view of discovering great riches....

but your claim on the ocean not being profitable is rather bogus, as we know not what lies beneath we cannot lay claim as to whether it's profitable or not, also do you know how many lost treasures have been discovered under water, together with companies that keep sailing the depths in search of precious earth metal....

so it is not a matter of profitability but, the ocean is too large for just a few people to explore, it will take collective efforts for man to discover what lies beneath, and the sooner the better cause I see a future where water would steal our lands and it will be for our own good if we had established cities under water...

as for speed of light travel, nothing is impossible, as neccesity is the mother of invention, the day we'll need it we would create it, the human race is that great!

1 Like

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by SamzackD(m): 7:40pm On Feb 09, 2019
ifyalways:

any dummy you say ? undecided

1 Like

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ifyalways(f): 7:12am On Feb 10, 2019
Sprintson:

who said ?
am an oceanographer with a degree in aquaculture and about due for a course abroad on remotely operated underwater vehicles... my people the ocean is scary really scary... we only know about 5 percent of it...
there are certain times you would really realize how mysterious the world is when u get underwater
Anyone can put on gear, get an hour lesson and go scuba diving , going into the Outer space takes years of lessons and education.

How fast can one die in the Ocean with all the right gear and training ? In the Outer Space it's seconds since everything there is lethal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ifyalways(f): 7:15am On Feb 10, 2019
Breegz14:
Though space is unending and has a lot of things that could kill you like black hole and gamma ray i feel the ocean is scarier because it's much closer and there's still a lot we don't know about it
Hmmmn.

This hit home and now thinking about it, I'm leaning on the Ocean simply because its yet to be conquered by Science(even if partially) as opposed to the Outer Space.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 10, 2019
ifyalways:

any dummy?ever heard of THE BENDS?
You better watch it!
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by onegig(m): 7:08am On Feb 16, 2019
ignant:

And this fact is from where?

We know more of space than the deep blue Ocean. In fact less than 10% of the ocean has been explored. Till today we still don't have the subs that can handle the insane water pressure at some depths let alone go on an exploration mission.
Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by onegig(m): 7:26am On Feb 16, 2019
ifyalways:

Anyone can put on gear, get an hour lesson and go scuba diving , going into the Outer space takes years of lessons and education.

How fast can one die in the Ocean with all the right gear and training ? In the Outer Space it's seconds since everything there is lethal.
shocked shocked

Please kindly get a gear and scuba dive down the trenches. grin grin.

There's no basis for comparison. Space is fascinating and scary but please don't even make small talk about the deep blue sea. There are caves under water at crazy depths that are bigger than some continents. What lies beneath and in those things? Just imagine creatures that survive such insane pressures?

I am sure if we dug deeper we would find maybe another civilization or entire intelligent being under water before we can find one in outer space. It's 3/4 of earth and we know less than 10% of it.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Scarier? Space Or The Ocean? by ThatKING(m): 5:02pm On Mar 18, 2019
ibkayee:
Couldn’t think of any other section to put this.
Which do you find scarier? Space or the ocean?
I recall reading a book by Fitzgerald who described a woman's eyes as an ocean of blue beyond blues. I think the ocean is the scariest

(1) (2) (Reply)

Passport Problems / I Am Over 10,000 Km Away And Yet Nigeria Has Happened To Me / Living In Makurdi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.