Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh (6970 Views)

Hon. Obinna Onwubuariri, The YOUNGEST LAWMAKER Tours His Constituency! / April Polls: President Jonathan Should Not Abandon PDP Governors By Obinna / PDP Offers N200B For Tinubu To Accept Interim VP Slot. - Obinna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 2:41am On Aug 21, 2010
[size=14pt]2011: IBB’s offer is best option for South East – Obinna Uzoh[/size]

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and former governorship candidate in Anambra State, Dr. Obinna Uzoh, has praised his party for affirming its constitution as it relates to zoning. According to the lawyer and business mogul, zoning guarantees fairness and equity.
In this interview, he talked about next year’s elections, the aspiration of General Ibrahim Babangida and the position of South-East in the country’s polity, among others.

You appear to have been missing in action in politics for sometime now. What is going on?

It will not be right to say that I have been missing in action. On the contrary, I have been involved in politics at the state and national levels. It is just that it’s not my style to start shouting in the press about what we have been doing. Some of us joined politics in order to contribute our quota, in a positive way, towards the growth of Nigeria. Although I am not holding an elective position, I have, to a large extent, contributed to ensure that our people enjoy the benefit of democracy. I am a member of PDP and we relate with the party’s leadership and others.

Now that you have mentioned PDP, let’s talk about the zoning controversy. Your party last week said that zoning stands. Also, it cleared President Goodluck Jonathan to contest the 2011 poll. Some people see this as contradictory. What is happening?

The debate generated by zoning underlies the seriousness of the matter.  I know that zoning, as a party concept, was not lightly conceived. A lot of thought was invested in its conceptualisation and the larger and peculiar Nigerian picture was taken into account there. This was why it was a written component of the party’s constitution. Let me quote Section 7.2(c) of PDP’s constitution, which explicitly states: ‘In pursuance of the principle of equity, justice and fairness, the party shall adhere to the policy of rotation and zoning of party and public elective offices and it shall be enforced by the appropriate executive committee at all levels.’

Notwithstanding the political challenges, fears and reservation from some quarters, that principle should be respected. By declaring that zoning stands, it follows that the PDP will implement it, as specified by the party’s constitution. For the avoidance of doubt, the PDP constitution said that the party’s leadership must enforce the principle of zoning. As the party has said that zoning stands, for 2011 election, it therefore means that the leadership will enforce it. As a faithful PDP member, I don’t expect anything less. We made the constitution to obey it. if we start breaching the constitution we made, it will not say well of us.

Having said that, I want to believe that the top echelon of the PDP decided that President Goodluck Jonathan can run for the 2011 presidential poll because there is no way you would deny anybody his constitutional right. The constitution said that everybody is free to contest for elective position. That applies to President Jonathan. But in saying this, I must add that Jonathan also knows that there is a law in his party, which he is party to.  As a member of the PDP, he is bound by the party’s constitution. As log as he remains in the party, I don’t  want to believe that he would go out of his way to breach its constitution. He has not said whether he would contest or not. If he would, it may just be that he would do that outside PDP, because I don’t want to believe that the Jonathan we know, who is part of a government that is amplifying rule of law and internal democracy in political parties, would want to be the one who would tend to break his party’s law.

I must commend the PDP for still recognising the imperative of zoning policy. This sets the stage for next phase of political engagements that will shape the future of PDP, as the nation’s ruling party and possibly determine its viability or otherwise.

But some Nigerians say that zoning is not practised elsewhere?

I don’t know about that. What I do know is that, as a concept, zoning enjoys universal application. For example, that  FIFA gave the nod to Africa to host the latest World Cup has its roots in the principle of zoning. The same applies to the United Nations picking its Secretary General from Africa. Egypt’s Boutros Ghali and Ghana’s Kofi Annan became UN’s secretary generals because of zoning. Without zoning, Africa could not have dreamt of these privileges.

On the home front, recall that the successive replacements of Senate presidents, during the Obasanjo regime, came from the South-East zone because that position was zoned to them. Senator Ibrahim Mantu was deputy to successive Senate presidents because that slot was then zoned to the North-Central. Zoning is an enduring concept, both locally and universally.

General Ibrahim Babangida recently declared his aspiration to run for the presidency next year, just as other eminent Nigerians. What do you think about Babangida’s aspiration?
General Ibrahim Babangida is not a political neophyte, by any scale of evaluation. He did not lightly signal his intention to contest the 2011 presidential poll. I think it was a product of deep introspection, a trademark trait of his. One thing is clear, Babangida wants the best for Nigeria. He has done quite a lot for the country. Therefore, coming out to say he wants to contest shows that he has more to offer the nation. I believe that Nigeria will benefit a great deal if he is given the opportunity to, once again, be the chief executive of the country. Much have gone wrong in the country. We need somebody in the stature of Babangida to get things back on track.

But some Nigerian think otherwise,
That is the unfortunate part of it. However, you don’t expect that everybody would support him. This is democracy, the majority will have their way, while the minority will have their say. In any case, Babangida enjoys wide followership in the country, despite the efforts of paid propagandists to paint a contrary picture. From what I know, Babangida is ready to submit himself to the electoral verdict of Nigerians. This position was further, clearly reinforced when he formally declared his presidential interest recently. He has that fundamental right. Nigerians, in effect, must decide who their next president should be and this process must be fair this time. The era of impunity; the era of electoral outcomes without electoral processes is over.

Why do you want Babangida back?

I know that Babangida’s aspiration stems from clarity of the articulation of his vision and strategy. He wants the best for the country. Given the opportunity, he would restore the glory. If we look at what he did as head of state, you will agree with me that he would do more as civilian president.

But he said he would do only four years…
That is the point. He has formulated a programme that would cause a turn around in four years. And he has said that he would hand over after that, so that his successor will continue from there.

Talking about handover, Babangida said he would ensure that somebody from South East succeeds him in 2015…
That is the vision I am talking about. He already knows where he is going.  For the sake of accuracy, let me quote from his recent statement, which was widely published. It said: ‘In 2015, I will love to see that an Igbo man becomes president of this country so that it will fully put an end to the civil war matter and fully integrate them into Nigeria. After the civil war, they need to completely feel like Nigerians.’ Nobody will deny the fact that the Igbo need this. An Igbo man as president will end the talk about marginalization. Since democracy was enthroned, no Igbo man has been president, through election, as Alhaji Shehu Shagari and Chief Olusegun Obasanjo or through constitutional succession, as President Jonathan, who became president when Alhaji Umar Musa Yar’Adua died.
Babangida said that his advocacy for zoning is not a war against President Goodluck Jonathan, but a crusade for equity, justice and fair play as well as peace and unity, which General Yakubu Gowon fought to keep the country together.  He further stated that the idea of zoning would only be complete after an Igbo man becomes the president of Nigeria in 2015. I am happy by what he said. He said: ‘If we must make every one believe that he belongs to this country, then it is after an Igbo man has been given the opportunity of being president in 2015 to complete the programme of fighting for the unity of this country by General Gowon.’

But the South East summit said the Igbo would prefer Jonathan’s presidency. How do you react to that?

The question to ask is: Who are the people who attended that summit in Enugu? Among all the people who attended the meeting are only three known names. That does not represent the Igbo. I hope you are aware that the true Igbo leaders met last week and said there was need to retain zoning. Prominent Igbo leaders attended that meeting. In that meeting, there were former governors, ex-Senate president, political kingmakers, prominent community leaders. That is the meeting that spoke the mind of the Igbo nation.

Besides, there is no way the Igbo would want to be politically irrelevant  in a country, where they had played major role in its polity. I recall that Dr Ekwueme, in a keynote address he gave to a meeting of South East people at Presidential Hotel in Enugu, in 1994, before going to the constitutional conference, gave an analysis of those who had held power as heads of government since independence, starting with Tafawa Balewa, from the North-East, Bauchi, 1960 to January 15, 1966. According to him, Ironsi, from South-East held power from January 15, 1966 to July 29, 1966 – that is barely six months; Gowon, North-Central, from July 29, 1966 to July 29, 1975 – exactly nine years; Murtala Muhammed, North-West, from July 29, 1975 to February 13, 1976 – barely seven months; Obasanjo, South-West, from February 13, 1976 to September 30, 1979 – three years and seven months or thereabouts; Shagari, North-West, from October 1, 1979 to December 31, 1983 – four years and three months; Buhari, North-West, December 31, 1983 to August 26, 1985 – that’s 20 months; Babangida, North-Central, August 26, 1985 to August 25, 1993 – that’s eight years less one day; then Shonekan, 82 days, from the South-West; then Abacha, who was there at the time he was doing this analysis, from the North-West. At that time it was only the South-South that had not produced a head of government. Today, the zone has produced an elected president for several months and counting.  The South-East has not produced an elected head of government. That’s why I would rather support a cause that would ensure this. That cause is the best for the Igbo.

What gives you the impression that Babangida will honour this promise?

I know Babangida. He is a man of his words. He knows that this is democracy and that trust is the hallmark of democracy. He would do as he has said.

But Babangida may not be president. Remember that the PDP said President Jonathan can also run in 2011. How does this square with the aspiration of Babangida?

President Goodluck Jonathan, no doubt, a child of providence, has on several occasions admitted that he is under tremendous pressure. The country’s constitution says yes he can contest. But the party constitution says no. The PDP has pronounced what appears a middle ground that appears to accommodate everyone. The people who put him under pressure to dismantle the Super Eagles, following the teams’ dismal World Cup outing, which he later reversed, are also the same people who put pressure on him to sack the service chiefs. He wisely resisted that latter counsel. I believe these are the same forces egging him on. But intuitively, I feel the man has his own wisdom, notwithstanding swimming among sharks.  Ultimately, a man takes decisions that can impact his future. Should Jonathan bow under the pressure he spoke about and run? Rev. Father Matthew Kukah’s counsel to Jonathan, I believe, best captures it all. Let me quote Kukah: ‘Should President Goodluck run next year? Why not? In doing so, he will be taking over the steering of his life from God’s hands and will have to foot his own bills.’

The South-East zone is clearly going to play an important role in determining who becomes president in 2011. As these elections draw closer, what should be the position of the South-East?

I would want a president of Igbo extraction in 2015. The South East could produce a vice president in 2011 poll, but the ultimate is to produce a president in 2015. This can only come about if they work with the North in 2011. The North cannot make it to the presidency next year without the Igbo  support. I am more inclined to that support.

Babangida has clearly articulated this strategy. The South-East should totally support Babangida on this account. Naturally, this support would be negotiated with Babangida, in clear recognition of the strategic realities facing Ndigbo. We must not allow ourselves to be subdued into treading a path that will reinforce the erroneous notion that the zone is politically disorganised and don’t know what is  good for it.
Since General Yakubu Gowon’s egalitarian “no victor, no vanquished” mantra, after the war, the South East is clearly marginalised. We have five states, while other zones have six/seven each. The implications, in terms of revenue allocation and other fundamentals, are clear. There are also other forms of marginalization, which  has done injustice to Ndigbo. These must be ended.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/aug/21/national-08-21-2010-007.htm
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by EzeUche22(m): 2:46am On Aug 21, 2010
Of all the past leaders since the 1st Republic, IBB has always done the Igbos good.

I would even go as far to say that even Abacha, whose hatred for the Yorubas was well known did the Igbos good.

Jonathan, I do not trust him. Just because the Yoruba do not like IBB does not mean we Igbos should follow them in their hatred.

Maybe Ojukwu is right about him.

Let him sing the right tune and the Igbo will vote for him in large numbers.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by Osama10(m): 2:50am On Aug 21, 2010
@ Igbos, why cant you people produce a candidate, are you people political eunuchs?
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by BigB11(m): 2:51am On Aug 21, 2010
@EzeUche22:
I completely agree.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by chyz(m): 2:52am On Aug 21, 2010
Osama10:

@ Igbos, why cant you people produce a candidate, are you people political eunuchs?

When the time is right. who are your own people producing?
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 2:53am On Aug 21, 2010
The courage and charisma to do big things in Nigeria can only be done by a northerner like IBB for now, mainly because they control the military and he has military background. I can't stop thinking about this fact.

As far as Nigeria is concerned, everybody knows that there is a lingering Igbo question in Nigeria.
I don't think Jonathan can have the courage to address that question.
Even Obasanjo couldn't.  undecided

So I'm taking a second look at IBB. cool
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by Osama10(m): 2:55am On Aug 21, 2010
@Igbos, dont play with the devil himself?

When he gives you one, he takes a million.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by chyz(m): 2:56am On Aug 21, 2010
EzeUche22:

Of all the past leaders since the 1st Republic, IBB has always done the Igbos good.

I would even go as far to say that even Abacha, whose hatred for the Yorubas was well known did the Igbos good.

Jonathan, I do not trust him. Just because the Yoruba do like IBB does not mean we Igbos should follow them in their hatred.

IBB is looking like the best bet for igbos right now when compared to jonathan. I will be in Naija at that time and will vote for him if thats the case, because truth is, even if jonathan were to become president we would not reshuffle his cabinet again because its already making him look bad meaning no Igbo will enter any meaningful position in the FG.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by chyz(m): 2:57am On Aug 21, 2010
Osama10:

@Igbos, dont play with the devil himself?

When he gives you one, he takes a million.

We are Igbos all we need is that one shot and we will capitalize.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 3:00am On Aug 21, 2010
chyz:

IBB is looking like the best bet for igbos right now when compared to jonathan. I will be in Naija at that time and will vote for him if thats the case, because truth is, even if jonathan were to become president we would not reshuffle his cabinet again because its already making him look bad meaning no Igbo will enter any meaningful position in the FG.

That is my fear. He is busy trying not to ruffle northern feathers in order to woo them. He has not demonstrated strength of character and strong leadership. Nigeria needs things like balanced federation (with states created where there is a need for one), state police, and true federalism. IBB looks like the candidate with such guts to do big things.

Frankly, I don't see Jonathan doing these things. undecided
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by BigB11(m): 3:01am On Aug 21, 2010
The courage and charisma to do big things in Nigeria can only be done by a northerner like IBB for now, mainly because they control the military and he has military background. I can't stop thinking about this fact.
You go brother!
You hit the nail right on the head.

Plus IBB has too much to lose if things are not done accordingly, his neck is on the line. Trust me, he can not afford to fumble this time around.
He is only contesting to clean up the mess that has been lingering for many years. He has the courage, he is brave, he has military background, he can not be pushed by anybody, he has the experience, no governor in this country has the ball to mess with IBB.
He is fighting for his legency, we must never allow this opportunity to slip away.

Allow him to put it together.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by koruji(m): 3:08am On Aug 21, 2010
@Ezeuche
Wonders shall never end. When they say power rotates between North and South - it is not between North and Southeast or North and Igbo - that is IBB's trickery. In 2015, if by some accident, IBB wins and actually let go of rulership, you will be at the short end of the stick. Why? The Yoruba, the Ijaw (here comes Jonathan), the Efik, etc will have their own candidates too. Guess what? IBB in 2015 would have been finally demystified - mark my words on that last statement, but you would have been taken for a ride.

I understand the calculation very well - but this is all based on a static Nigerian situation. It goes like this - IBB will be too old to do 2 terms, and if he has an Igbo VP that person would be the President-in-waiting. Go ask Atiku what became of that notion.

Watch your steps carefully with IBB. The enemy of your enemy is not your friend - it is IBB-style 419.

EzeUche22:

Jonathan, I do not trust him. Just because the Yoruba do like IBB does not mean we Igbos should follow them in their hatred.

Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by BigB11(m): 3:11am On Aug 21, 2010
IBB: A solid leader, A leader you can count on, A leader of all leaders.

Vote IBB 2011.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by koruji(m): 3:12am On Aug 21, 2010
Look at the bolded part below, and ask yourself if you understand its meaning. It is a BIG reason why we cannot allow IBB to be president again. The president we need has be able to respond to the people's push. IBB cannot be pushed, as you thankfully confirmed.

In your fantansy world he possess all the wisdom needed to move Nigeria forward - that was how he failed the last time too, but we cannot let him repeat it - there are too many lives at stake!

Big B1:

You go brother!
You hit the nail right on the head.
Plus IBB has too much to lose if things are not done accordingly, his neck is on the line. Trust me, he can not afford to fumble this time around.
He is only contesting to clean up the mess that has been lingering for many years. He has the courage, he is brave, he has military background, [size=15pt]he can not be pushed by anybody[/size], he has the experience, no governor in this country has the ball to mess with IBB.
He is fighting for his legency, we must never allow this opportunity to slip away.
Allow him to put it together.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by koruji(m): 3:14am On Aug 21, 2010
If you love yourself and your people[size=15pt] DON'T VOTE IBB IN 2011 [/size] - you cannot afford it.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 3:16am On Aug 21, 2010
The way I'm looking at this is not in terms of friends and enemies. I'm simply looking at the courage of convictions.

IBB was a very busy president in his days in office. Nigeria was very POOR then. Oil was selling for about $18 - $20 /barrel. Today, oil goes for at least $70/barrel, and Nigeria has tens of billions of dollars in reserves. IBB even created more agencies then than OBJ did in 8 years of oil boom.

Jonathan is too docile for Nigeria's presidency. Left alone, he would not rock the boats.

We need someone with the guts to rock the boat, and since IBB publicly committed to those things, we can use them to hold him to account.

Jonathan has not committed to anything, so how can we hold him?

How do we measure him?

We need public commitments from him if he needs our votes. cool
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by chyz(m): 3:25am On Aug 21, 2010
Onlytruth:

The way I'm looking at this is not in terms of friends and enemies. I'm simply looking at the courage of convictions.

IBB was a very busy president in his days in office. Nigeria was very POOR then. Oil was selling for about $18 - $20 /barrel. Today, oil goes for at least $70/barrel, and Nigeria has tens of billions of dollars in reserves. IBB even created more agencies then than OBJ did in 8 years of oil boom.

Jonathan is too docile for Nigeria's presidency. Left alone, he would not rock the boats.

We need someone with the guts to rock the boat, and since IBB publicly committed to those things, we can use them to hold him to account.

How do we measure him?

Gbam! A real president is out-spoken. A real president can make his own decisions. A real president can come out and address the nation concerning serious issues not one that the only time u hear from him is through a newspaper in quotation marks. angry
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by koruji(m): 3:35am On Aug 21, 2010
Who is this we you guys are talking about that needs commitments? Why don't you tell Jonathan what commitments you need?

IBB will tell you anything to get to Aso Rock - that is all you need to know!

Oh yes, he is outspoken alright - talking gibberish!

What does docility have to do with it - what we need is someone with judgement based on thoughtfulness, as well as proactive.

You will hold IBB to account, as in tell him to get off the chair in 2015 if doesn't want to? - he will slaughter you (sorry for my harsh language)! Answer me one question - you think Atiku would have survived if he tried that s***t with IBB, as with OBJ?

OBJ still had international reputation to protect, despite his well-known brutishness as an old soldier, but IBB doesn't give a damn, unless he is really under duress - and you had better be well prepared!

Onlytruth:

How do we measure him?

Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by EzeUche22(m): 3:35am On Aug 21, 2010
We Igbos who have a population of 30+ million will not be kept away from power!

The Yoruba had their chance. It is the Igbos turn.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by chyz(m): 3:48am On Aug 21, 2010
koruji:

Who is this we you guys are talking about that needs commitments? Why don't you tell Jonathan what commitments you need?

What does docility have to do with it - what we need is someone with judgement based on thoughtfulness, as well as proactive.

You will hold IBB to account, as in tell him to get off the chair in 2015 if doesn't want to? - he will slaughter you (sorry for my harsh language)! Answer me one question - you think Atiku would have survived if he tried that s***t with IBB, as with OBJ?

OBJ still had international reputation to protect, despite his well-known brutishness as an old soldier, but IBB doesn't give a damn, unless he is really under duress - and you had better be well prepared!

Whether he is talking gibberish or not at least he is talking.we are not looking for sentiment based choice, we are looking for who benefits Igbo. If he doesnt leave after his 4 years is complete then that will spell the end of nigeria. that move would only help MASSOB's case in the international court for succession and he knows that quite well. GJ has done nothing at all for the people of nigeria. Name one thing I dare you.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by koruji(m): 3:48am On Aug 21, 2010
And IBB is the one you are trusting for that purpose - carry on!

EzeUche22:

Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by koruji(m): 3:58am On Aug 21, 2010
chyz:

Whether he is talking gibberish or not at least he is talking.we are not looking for sentiment based choice, we are looking for who benefits Igbo. If he doesnt leave after his 4 years is complete then that will spell the end of nigeria. that move would only help MASSOB's case in the international court for succession and he knows that quite well. GJ has done nothing at all for the people of nigeria. Name one thing I dare you.

Let me repeat this here for any Nigerian listening. The only way the next presidency will benefit Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, Fulanis, Ijaws, Itsekiris, Efiks, Gwari, Nupe, etc is if we select the best of the lot that the parties end up with.

Don't get me wrong - if that happens to be, God-forbid, IBB you are welcome to it - but I can tell you that he will not only disappoint you, but the entire nation.

The president we need is not some cunning, selfish, power-hungry kleptocrat, but one who knows the meaning of EDUCATION first of all, and most important that the president is a coordinator, a guide and guard of our collective well-being. He must stop not just clear corruption, but the corrupt framework in which Nigeria runs itself. IBB is the epitome of our current corrupt framework - it is who he is and so expect nothing from him.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by koruji(m): 4:03am On Aug 21, 2010
Like I said this thing they are calling zoning is not North-Southeast or North-Igbo, it is North-South - and it is ultimately a ridiculous concept designed by those who are in the know to share Nigeria's loot among themselves. You need to sit down well in thought about all of this - ask yourself what the population of IBB's ethnic group is in the north? Yet, here you are claiming 30+million Igbos as basis for the presidency, and at the same time supporting him to be president.

EzeUche22:

Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by chyz(m): 4:04am On Aug 21, 2010
koruji:

Let me repeat this here for any Nigerian listening. The only way the next presidency will benefit Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, Fulanis, Ijaws, Itsekiris, Efiks, Gwari, Nupe, etc is if we select the best of the lot that the parties end up with.

Don't get me wrong - if that happens to be, God-forbid, IBB you are welcome to it - but I can tell you that he will not only disappoint you, but the entire nation.

The president we need is not some cunning, selfish, power-hungry kleptocrat, but one who knows the meaning of EDUCATION first of all, and most important that the president is a coordinator, a guide and guard of our collective well-being. He must stop not just clear corruption, but the corrupt framework in which Nigeria runs itself. IBB is the epitome of our current corrupt framework - it is who he is and so expect nothing from him.

Its all about Igbo interest. I dont care whether it benefits another tribe or not.No more friends.We've tried that and fell woefully. At this point no decision is made but whoever offers the Igbos the best interest then they are THE MAN. It is almost september now and jonathan has not even said a word! Igbos are disappearing from the Public Eye in the FG and it makes no sense so IBB is at a better advantage to the Igbo at this moment.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by koruji(m): 4:09am On Aug 21, 2010
It would be insane for anyone to tell Igbos to act against their own interest. There are three things that you need to keep in mind:

1. Do you know what actually benefits you?
2. Can the one you are putting your hope in deliver?
3. Whether you like it or not your interests cannot stand alone? This is perhaps the most important. Nigeria is a perpetual prisoner's dillema story, unless we change that pattern each region will always lose. What benefit did Yar'adua's presidency bring the North?

chyz:

Its all about Igbo interest. I dont care whether it benefits another tribe or not.No more friends.We've tried that and fell woefully. At this point no decision is made but whoever offers the Igbos the best interest then they are THE MAN. It is almost september now and jonathan has not even said a word! Igbos are disappearing from the Public Eye in the FG and it makes no sense so IBB is at a better advantage to the Igbo at this moment.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by becomrich5: 4:11am On Aug 21, 2010
If the Igbo team up with IBB, you would still loss out. Look at the map. you can only get 8 states.

While look at the second map. If you run a Yoruba president and Igbo vice president. You would get 19 states.  You may even get Akwa Ibom and Cross. All you need would be either plateau, Benue or taraba state,.

Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 4:11am On Aug 21, 2010
koruji:

Believe me I've actually spent days thinking about the best options for Ndigbo.

No Northerner, I repeat, no Northerner will dare do things that can bring an end to Nigeria.

The whole North knows that is the turn of Ndigbo to produce the president. They understand it because we and them have actually fought a war. So they know us.

Jonathan on the other hand is not caring on as if he understands these issues. I bet you that a part of him tells him that Ijaw agitation is equal to Igbo agitation. Not to belittle any tribe, but Igbo agitation is capable of disintegrating Nigeria. I can't say that about Ijaw agitations.
So IBB understand these things, that is why he openly called for an Igbo president by 2015. He understands that Nigeria does not have a choice about that.
So, when he says that Nigeria needs to bring an end to the civil war, introduce state police and true federalism, he shows he understands Nigerian issues well.

I'm still waiting for other candidates (not just Jonathan) to make their positions known on these big national issues. cool
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by becomrich5: 4:20am On Aug 21, 2010
The worst case you get vice president.

Dont think IBB is northerner project, He is not. The fulani/hausa want the president, since yar adua is fulani/hausa. Buhari used 2 years. Murtala use 6 months. Yar adua use 2 years. Northern minority used. 35 years.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 4:20am On Aug 21, 2010
koruji:

It would be insane for anyone to tell Igbos to act against their own interest. There are three things that you need to keep in mind:

1. Do you know what actually benefits you?
2. Can the one you are putting your hope in deliver?
3. Whether you like it or not your interests cannot stand alone? This is perhaps the most important. Nigeria is a perpetual prisoner's dillema story, unless we change that pattern each region will always lose. What benefit did Yar'adua's presidency bring the North?

I wish Jonathan had demonstrated some strength of character. He has not. He showed that when he banned Super Eagles for two years only to recant within a few days.

I can tell you that another south southerner with strong convictions would have performed better under the same circumstance.

Remember that there is zoning in the PDP. Everybody knows this fact.

For Ndigbo to renege on that agreement, the prize must be worth it.

Is Jonathan worth it?  
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by TewMuch: 4:22am On Aug 21, 2010
I wanna know if the Igbo's just like to victimize themselves purposely.If they support IBB, and the campaign fails? Even if he wins and he does more harm, wouldn't that affect the future Igbo presidential candidates? I doubt if other groups will ever trust them again.Why not put forward your own candidate or pick from fresh candidates? Which group will want to associate themselves with IBB? Except if they want to sacrifice their future opportunities and loose.Igbo's can be stronger if they take a progressive stance.Even if they support IBB, he will still lose.Only the Igbo's and core north will vote for him.Now what? The next government will make sure the Igbo's get no relevant political positions.Stop setting yourselves up because you are thinking selfishly.Think Nigeria, because IBB betrays everyone.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by chyz(m): 4:23am On Aug 21, 2010
becomrich5:

If the Igbo team up with IBB, you would still loss out. Look at the map. you can only get 8 states.

While look at the second map. If you run a Yoruba president and Igbo vice president. You would get 19 states.  You may even get Akwa Ibom and Cross. All you need would be either plateau, Benue or taraba state,.

Map wrong. Igbos in Delta state will definitely vote for IBB is he appeals to the Igbo. Remember they especially dont trust Ijaw. The northerners are looking for a northern candidate point blank. most are illiterate and all they see is Northerner(IBB) Muslim(IBB) so of course he gets their vote so cancel out your marking of the northern states. Without the SE jonathan doesnt stand a chance.
Re: 2011: Ibb’s Offer Is Best Option For South East – Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 4:30am On Aug 21, 2010
TewMuch:

I wanna know if the Igbo's just like to victimize themselves purposely.If they support IBB, and the campaign fails? Even if he wins and he does more harm, wouldn't that affect the future Igbo presidential candidates? I doubt if other groups will ever trust them again.Why not put forward your own candidate or pick from fresh candidates? Which group will want to associate themselves with IBB? Except if they want to sacrifice their future opportunities and loose.Igbo's can be stronger if they take a progressive stance.Even if they support IBB, he will still lose.Only the Igbo's and core north will vote for him.Now what? T[b]he next government will make sure the Igbo's get no relevant political positions.[/b]Stop setting yourselves up because you are thinking selfishly.Think Nigeria, because IBB betrays everyone.

Igbo are ALREADY not getting posts under Jonathan, so we have nothing to lose. IBB remains the strongest candidate from the north because he can get votes from the north and south. I doubt he'll lose if we support him.

I think that south east leaders said it last week. All we care about is 2015. No one has answered the 2015 question. Jonathan would have already been president for more than one year by the time of elections next year.
We are yet to see any bold moves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Predict APC Slogan(s) In 2015 / Nnamdi Kanu Wanted One Nigeria Before He Change His Mind / No Need To Fight The Herdsmen..just Do This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.