Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (35787 Views)

Ondo SUBEB To Pay N290,470 As Annual Salary To A Degree Holder On Grade Level 8 / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by tetralogyfallot(m): 8:36am On Feb 08, 2019
Vbb
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by TONYE001(m): 8:36am On Feb 08, 2019
I wonder how our policy makers do these things. What factors do they consider before they come up with ideas that would only tear us further apart? What really is the essence of this HND-BSC dichotomy? Imagine the HND's spending more time in training!

A legal process should be instituted to cure this madness.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by mjbaba: 8:37am On Feb 08, 2019
Let them too acquire additional qualifications na

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by nwachi1404: 8:38am On Feb 08, 2019
If you hold a HND certificate and end at level 14, then you have your self to blame. Why can't you get the additional qualification that is required. Even BSc holders are upgrading their qualifications. No do yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Skoopy(m): 8:39am On Feb 08, 2019
And your president doesn't have SSCE �

Meanwhile polytechnic graduates spent 5yrs too, one year for industrial training without which you cannot proceed for HND.

University graduates IT period of about 6months is part of their 5yr academic calendar, so why are they not counting the 1year polytechnic graduates IT period as part of their academic calendar.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Tlyon(m): 8:40am On Feb 08, 2019
Nawa for Nigeria and it's implemented policy, I still believe Hnd graduate do most of the work but still get the least accolades or non, remember the ruling president we ain't even sure has a O'level certificate.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by FATBAYO(m): 8:42am On Feb 08, 2019
Nigeria has no plans for herself....jamb they jam people they use there money grow flower and corrupt leaders chop theirs with out Transforming d educational sector.No p
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by adekalumichael: 8:47am On Feb 08, 2019
This lies only exist in a third world country like ours. What makes grades different if not the A4 paper presented at the end.

Join other non-lazy youths to learn how to do design for M&E companies. Available training are HVAC, electrical, fire fighting and plumbing including Revit MEP. Check siggy for more details.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by adecz: 8:49am On Feb 08, 2019
angry angry

HND is never equivalent to University degree.

Letting them enter at level O8 is an injustice
to university graduates.

Most HND holders can barely speak correct
English & they have lower entry requirements.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Getintouch2004(m): 8:50am On Feb 08, 2019
anibabes007:
Both poly and uni are far below other part of the world standard.

Meanwhile
Very affordable wears

Where can I get those?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by jendhorlee(m): 8:50am On Feb 08, 2019
untill the minimum cut off to enter polytechnic is also increased to 180
p.s I'm also a polytechnic student trying to apply for direct entry

6 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Joybringer: 9:00am On Feb 08, 2019
ProsperChild:
Polytechnic education in Nigeria is just sheer waste of time n years.After acquiring certification ,for a period of 5 YEARS while some of your counterparts in the university acquires theirs just 4YEARS,isn't it clear enough that polytechnic system of education shouldnt be an afterthought. Hardly,you get job with the certificate,Hardly you ,work or discharge your duties in civil service without fear or favour,u are restless,u know,because a career bar is place against u.........It is a sorry case! Imagine equal salary at the beginning then varied termination points!
mind u,these catogory of persons are growing in service n career development with experience too.
I suggest, a legal action should be instituted to put an end to this injustice.let it be challenged in a court of competent jurisdiction.Poly lecturers should consider this ,as a last option to address this dichotomy.
Alternatively,If for one valid reason ,that dichotomy should exist,then lets the duration of study be revert by FG to that of NCE 3years programme to properly satisfy exchange of the contents of scheme service to justify the dicothomy....
Source : Anonymous.

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/189203/

I suggest all HND holders apply for this programme

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 08, 2019
EdenH:
mtcheeew. who Hnd and Bsc epp, next pls

But truth be told anyway, nobody in his right senses will just decide to go to poly. Every polytechnic student is a rejected University applicant. So lets get our facts right, University will forever be better than polytechnics. Simple

Some polytechnics only take first choice candidates. Examples are YABATECH, ILARO POLY and others.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by BlueRayDick: 9:08am On Feb 08, 2019
My question is why should anybody enter civil service on grade 8 with HND and be lazy enough not to add any other qualification to his HND till he retires on level 14?

Any reasonable person who is lucky enough to enter the civil service with HND degree should make it top priority to at least enroll in National Open University and get at least a degree there.

Even Obasanjo got a PHD there without overkilling himself

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by BlueRayDick: 9:08am On Feb 08, 2019
What is the duration for this programme?

Joybringer:

I suggest all HND holders apply for this programme
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by tete7000(m): 9:09am On Feb 08, 2019
But is degree and HND really the same? From inception of both, was there ever a plan or intention they would ever be the same? Are their curricula the same? If the answer to these questions are in the negative, why should anyone then expect their end should be the same?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Liverpoolfc(m): 9:10am On Feb 08, 2019
why all these noise? Use it to get a job and then go higher. What will you be doing till level 14 withoutgetting higher degree?what happen to inhouse trainning? My father told me he was employed with diploma, but today he is a lawyer doing the same job. He will retire this year as senior staff. He is my hero. But without spoon but able to give us a wooden spoon to turn into silver spoon for our children.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Joybringer: 9:11am On Feb 08, 2019
2 years.
BlueRayDick:
What is the duration for this programme?

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by dmbb: 9:12am On Feb 08, 2019
You went to Poly because you wanted to be Diploma holder, but if you want Degree you know where to go to. The choice is yours
there is no shortcut in life
You want something, go it it!

5 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 9:12am On Feb 08, 2019
ProsperChild:
I suggest, a legal action should be instituted to put an end to this injustice.let it be challenged in a court of competent jurisdiction.Poly lecturers should consider this ,as a last option to address this dichotomy.
Alternatively,If for one valid reason ,that dichotomy should exist,then lets the duration of study be revert by FG to that of NCE 3years programme to properly satisfy exchange of the contents of scheme service to justify the dicothomy....

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/189203/

A legal action cannot make the educational system equate a bachelor's to diploma...can u even prove it they are the same via course modules, research output, lecturing staff profile etc...?? Mayb if the government convert all polytechnics to universities, mayb the dichotomy can end...

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Joybringer: 9:13am On Feb 08, 2019
BlueRayDick:
My question is why should anybody enter civil service on grade 8 with HND and be lazy enough not to add any other qualification to his HND till he retires on level 14?

Any reasonable person who is lucky enough to enter the civil service with HND degree should make it top priority to at least enroll in National Open University and get at least a degree there.

Even Obasanjo got a PHD there without overkilling himself
they can enrol for 2 years HND conversation weekends programme.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by tete7000(m): 9:13am On Feb 08, 2019
But is degree and HND really the same? From inception of both, was there ever a plan or intention they would ever be the same? Are their curricula the same? If the answer to these questions are in the negative, why should anyone then expect their end should be the same?

If you think you are good enough to enter university, go to university and spare yourself unnecessary distress. The plan to not accord the same status to polytechnic graduates as that of university graduates has always been there. Why expect that goal post will suddenly shift in the middle of the game? Emotion and sentiment cannot win this argument.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by tammie24: 9:14am On Feb 08, 2019
kehinde1588:
This is really commendable. The fact that University is more competitive and organized than polytechnic, there should be a clear distinction. Most polytechnics in Nigeria are nothing to write home about in terms of standard and caliber of students who attend the institution.

If those who attend college of education are not placed on the same level with those in polytechnics, that alone justify the reason why those who attend universities should not be placed on same level with them.
you are the only person that has made sense on his thread.
Imagine rubbish wey people dey talk

Some polytechnic students can't even copy answers properly
And they want to be on the same level with university students

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 9:16am On Feb 08, 2019
kehinde1588:
This is really commendable. The fact that University is more competitive and organized than polytechnic, there should be a clear distinction. Most polytechnics in Nigeria are nothing to write home about in terms of standard and caliber of students who attend the institution.

If those who attend college of education are not placed on the same level with those in polytechnics, that alone justify the reason why those who attend universities should not be placed on same level with them.

I disagree that organization is our universities are better than what is obtainable in the some polytechnics. I've been everywhere, most state universities are unorganised, choked up and have dilapidated structures with substandard equipments. The only reason why they are being patronized is the dichotomy. Some federal universities like UI, UNILAG and OAU however stand tall amongst the rest as regards infrastructure.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by OlujobaSamuel: 9:19am On Feb 08, 2019
1StopRudeness:
Is a bachelor's degree the same with diploma in nigeria?? I'm just asking cos alot of people seem to be vexing and screaming injustice.
I've come to notice that their clamouring isn't really gunuine..This is just about securing jobs...or getting the same treatment Bsc holders have in work places...
because if it were really genuine diploma holder would also clamour that they aren't allowed to apply for a masters degree or a PhD with a diploma.. clearly this invincible injustice seem to exist in this area aswell.
Both degree aren't the same, they never were, extending the NYSC scheme to diploma holders was supposed to help but it somehow added more petrol to the fire cos they never converted all polytechnics into university...plus, employers were never ordered by the government to see both certificate as the same and that isn't even possible.
So problem isn't really the government, it's the labour employers that don't employ the right degree for the right job..btw why are pple still going to polytechnics if they know this so called injustice is waiting for them.

Not really true. In most cases, students lack enlightenment, so they just apply to as many places as possible with the notion of just find something doing. It's similar to a school offering candidates a course different from what they applied for, and people around you advise (rightly or wrongly) you to accept so you leave the league of those staying at home.
One of my kid bro went to a poly for ND, I just told him, see wetin I Dey face, don't ever try to consider HND, pick DE and UTME forms, one should work, eventually he got admission through UTME, He is now in 200l, and even one of the oldest in class, but who cares?
The major issue is enlightenment since govt is not ready to work things out by upgrading the structure or cancelling the program.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:21am On Feb 08, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:
My children no fit do any foolish HND, if he wan go poly, na only ND tinz, I've been seeking for where to do my MSc and I can't find one, had to enroll for BSc.
Dear Unborn child that might be foolish enough like me to consider HND, I won't only disfather you, I go remove your foolish head from your neck, I no fit let you live this kind frustrating life.
Thanks.
From your once foolish but having a head reset future Dad

Why not go for PGD instead? I know people who have PhD and M.Sc. who started from ND, HND and even NCE.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by OlujobaSamuel: 9:26am On Feb 08, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

Why not go for PGD instead? I know people who have PhD and M.Sc. who started from ND, HND and even NCE.
Except in a school outside Nigeria, you can't use PGD for PhD in Nigeria, the highest is MSc if you have PGD.
Btw, thanks, will round up my BSc this year.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 9:30am On Feb 08, 2019
TONYE001:
I wonder how our policy makers do these things. What factors do they consider before they come up with ideas that would only tear us further apart? What really is the essence of this HND-BSC dichotomy? Imagine the HND's spending more time in training!

A legal process should be instituted to cure this madness.

The case would be lost even before it's heard in court. The act on which polytechnics were established to produce middle level skilled individuals has given them out. Until the act is reviewed and curriculum upgraded, there's no court that can give verdict in favour of the polytechnics. I'm sure the poly community would also claim superior to colleges of education based on this, even when they have absolutely nothing in common.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abati Emmanuel Tosanwumi Graduates With 2 Degrees From Canada University / Is Madonna University Accredited For Medical Studies? / OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.