Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps (10053 Views)

Tinubu: Nigerians Won’t Pay Estimated Billing For Electricity If I’m President / Estimated Billing: NERC To Sanction EKEDC, 6 Others / NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by OrientDailyNews: 12:17pm On Feb 11, 2019
By Elizabeth Uwandu

The outcry by Nigerians over outrageous estimated billing system by the Electricity Distribution Companies Discos may soon be over as members of the House of Representatives recently passed a bill that seeks to criminalise estimated billing in the country.

Bill estimation is a longstanding practice used by power providers when an actual meter reader is not available for billing purposes.

However, accusations are rife that the Discos have deliberately abandoned meter reading for the imposition of unimaginable (crazy) bills on users all for the purpose of wrecking in more revenue without rendering commensurate service.

Femi Gbajabiamila, sponsor of the bill and majority leader of the house, said, "It is not justifiable to continuously charge consumers for power not consumed."

The bill passed recently during members of the lower chamber’s deliberation on the report of its committee on power. The bill which was put on vote by Yusuf Lasun, deputy speaker of the house, would among other things criminalise estimated billing and make the installation of prepaid meters compulsory for all power consumers in Nigeria.

However, since the passage of the bill, some stakeholders such as Babatunde Fashola, Minister of Power, Works and Housing; the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) and the Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors (ANED) have opposed the bill, noting that the bill would worsen the electricity situation in the country.

Fashola explained that the bill could crumble the electricity sector, noting that the financial challenges of metering must first be addressed.

He added that “I take it that we all know what the core mandate is. Their (DisCos) core mandate is to supply energy. My view is that let new players be licensed to have the supply of meters as their core mandate to take the load off the DisCos.

“Energy theft and meter bypass must be addressed too by prescribing heavy penalties against offenders.” Power Minister said.

Meanwhile, Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN officials are currently going round to take inventory of all existing Old Meters in view of the February 28th deadline from NERC.

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission mandated that all DISCO's Electricity Distribution Companies should provide and install Electronic Prepaid Meter to all subscribers Free of any charge the said date or face severe sanctions.

Chairman, NERC lamented that Nigerians have suffered enough from being robbed by faceless corrupt officials via the inhuman estimated billing system where they pay for what they do not use.

" It is better to have the prepaid meter and not have light than to have light without a prepaid meter.

"The logic is simple, if you have the prepaid meter it means you will only pay for what you use. No estimated bills, no cutting of light, no stealing from you, no-nonsense and if they don't supply power FINE! they will not make any money from you." He noted.

According to NERC ...Our problem with PHCN in Nigeria is not power supply. Our problem is internal administration (The running of the company). The solution is proper administration.

"With prepaid meter, PHCN will sit up and begin to perform because they will know that if they don't supply power they will not make free money.

"They know this, that's why they continue to sabotage the whole thing so that they will continue with the robbery which is the estimated billing system, overcharging users and getting fat like the telecoms companies, who have to supply network or else no money for them if people do not use up their airtime and data.

"Nigerians must stop asking for power supply, that is not the solution. Insist on your prepaid meter, it is  your right and the solution to the  massive looting going on among the Electricity Distribution Companies." He pointed.

https://orientenergyreview.com/power-updates/estimated-billing-criminalized-reps/

L

3 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by datopaper(m): 2:10pm On Feb 11, 2019
If they can implement this policy. Make PHCN give pre-paid meter to customer . One Nigeria major problem is solved.

17 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by FocusedDiva(f): 2:11pm On Feb 11, 2019
This is long overdue and a welcome development. The electricity distribution companies have extorted the populace for too long.

9 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by don4real18(m): 2:11pm On Feb 11, 2019
old news...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by abdulazeez1002(m): 2:11pm On Feb 11, 2019
After Kano mega rally grin

Thank you for been mobilized with dollars

6 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by magoo10(m): 2:11pm On Feb 11, 2019
A right step in fighting corruption

1 Like

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Alejob: 2:12pm On Feb 11, 2019
grin

Powerbank for your laptop and phones
Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by maysimsimple(m): 2:12pm On Feb 11, 2019
Way to go

3 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by pawesome(m): 2:13pm On Feb 11, 2019
Finally

1 Like

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Chidinwite1(m): 2:13pm On Feb 11, 2019
Wow
Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by tical(m): 2:14pm On Feb 11, 2019
Their fada. The electricity sector is already crumbled! undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Jibabs2(m): 2:14pm On Feb 11, 2019
Long overdue

1 Like

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Omeokachie: 2:15pm On Feb 11, 2019
Na im be say rocket science minister go quick go jail be dat o.

Estimated billing dey sweet am wella grin

Dude love increasing tariff for no just cause.

3 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Igahbarr: 2:17pm On Feb 11, 2019
PMB with his anti people policy will not sign it into law just like other life changing bills he rejected in the past. No hope for this government.

3 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Kylekent59: 2:18pm On Feb 11, 2019
yes ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Xano(m): 2:20pm On Feb 11, 2019
Interesting

I sympathize with those who their bill is being estimated on. Congrats to those who have electric meters

If this is signed into law, it's good news. But, to implement it would not be easy.

Who would the affected person sue when he(she) finds an estimated bill at their door or house gate?

2 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Sultty(m): 2:21pm On Feb 11, 2019
I'm pissed with those so caused discos these people chop me like nkwobi free food angry
Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by SaiATKUOBI2019: 2:27pm On Feb 11, 2019
I have never come across any APC member that said Buhari goof in so so area..
I began to think if we have gotten another perfect being without blemish.
When I was growing up, I was told human are bound to make mistakes, but this is quite different since I knew APC.Nigerians are Atikulated!!Anybody that's supports Buhari at this stage should be considered an enemy for life ..Every day gives proof of Buhari's dementia-inspired mental incapacity.APC members, please tell us why we should vote Buhari that has a long string of failures?

4 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by maxjax(m): 2:28pm On Feb 11, 2019
story
Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by mytime24(f): 2:29pm On Feb 11, 2019
Na today angry
Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by lekonso: 2:30pm On Feb 11, 2019
This very useless minister of darkness called fashola must be removed even before bubu is sent back to daura. How can somebody in his right sense support estimated billing? In the past there was nothing like estimated billing, i don't even know when this monster called estimated billing came up. In the days of analogue meters, every house has a meter.

6 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by tysontim(m): 2:32pm On Feb 11, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
After Kano mega rally grin

Thank you for been mobilized with dollars

Common sense will tell that this pic is staged. They even posed for camera
Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 11, 2019
I pray this is done ........PHCN are very corrupt,ordinary Ghana have for long solved their electricity problem.
Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Kylekent59: 2:35pm On Feb 11, 2019
lekonso:
This very useless minister of darkness called fashola must be removed even before bubu is sent back to daura. How can somebody in his right sense support estimated billing? In the past there was nothing like estimated billing, i don't even know when this monster called estimated billing came up. In the days of analogue meters, every house has a meter.

The Fashola of a man is an agent of APC, don't you know their symbol again?

Backwardness, slow,suffering,violent ,darkness .....

Let's see how the Hausa man and Igbo man will collaborate to make this country better.

I have hope that those two will perform better.

1 Like

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by pooozeee(m): 2:38pm On Feb 11, 2019
What took you people so long, cowards and bird of same feather....

1 Like

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by pooozeee(m): 2:40pm On Feb 11, 2019
Mos00:
Scammer
Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by Born2Breed(f): 2:42pm On Feb 11, 2019
These power distributors are criminals.

You will pay for pre-paid meter to get installed, after some months it will get bad and they claim it can't be fixed revert to estimated billing.

Or pay the same amount you bought the pre-paid and an outside engineer will fix it.

Fashola the minister of darkness will soon go back to his law firm.

4 Likes

Re: Estimated Billing To Be Criminalized – Reps by olaolaking: 2:46pm On Feb 11, 2019
Igahbarr:
PMB with his anti people policy will not sign it into law just like other life changing bills he rejected in the past. No hope for this government.
Mention those life-changing bills

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures: The Moment Nnandi Kanu Was Arrested in UK By Nigerian Security Forces / 2023: Orji Kalu Says He will Withdraw If Parties Don't Zone Ticket To SE / How Igbo Created South-south (onlytruth, Dede1, Etc., Sorry To Spoil Your Day)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.