Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,767 members, 7,809,957 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly (18013 Views)

How To Correct And Update Your BVN Details In Nigeria (2018) / Five Reasons Why Kids Should Not Own A Smartphone / Five Reasons Why Your Itunes Payment In Naira Do Not Pull Through (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by stanley000: 9:40pm On Feb 12, 2019
frowland:
Beware of updates. They are all 'monitoring spiritz'. From windows updates to Android to iOS.
you think you updating but unknown to you it's just your data and information being uploaded

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by frowland(m): 9:50pm On Feb 12, 2019
stanley000:
you think you updating but unknown to you it's just your data and information being uploaded

Don't mind them. Data theft is the biggest issue right now. From Amazone to Apple to Facebook, no need mentioning windows 10 as that one is a RAT on its own ..and someone is rapping about update. Anytime you see an update, you must have to be careful. Some are security patches, some are data harvesting patches.

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by fri7171: 12:13am On Feb 13, 2019
Odd

Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Goldyyy: 4:09am On Feb 13, 2019
I don't fail to update my spark 2 each time I get a notification to do so
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Ejadike(m): 4:41am On Feb 13, 2019
I can't agree any less
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Ejadike(m): 4:42am On Feb 13, 2019
koskilala:
Nice one, no doubt updates really make sense but there should be a way to reverse the updates if you don't like it, don't you think??
don't factory rest help?
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Ejadike(m): 4:49am On Feb 13, 2019
frowland:

Don't mind them. Data theft is the biggest issue right now. From Amazone to Apple to Facebook, no need mentioning windows 10 as that one is a RAT on its own ..and someone is rapping about update. Anytime you see an update, you must have to be careful. Some are security patches, some are data harvesting patches.
What's the difference between security patch and data patch? And what's the downside of them and meaning got them?
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Ejadike(m): 4:52am On Feb 13, 2019
fruqy:

Lol oh, really? What do you do when you are trying to operate new features after system updates and you get the unfortunately youknowwhat program has stopped? Restart? I'm recommending based on experience. If you know nothing about phones, don't come here to mislead people. Factory reset is always recommended even by those pushing out the updates unless it's security updates.
you mean one needs to wipe phone clean before updating so as to enjoy new features?
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Blastedholligan: 5:32am On Feb 13, 2019
Abiodunspectre:
Software upgrades, which have now become synonymous with smartphones, are essentially little updates for smartphone's operating system that allows the device to perform at its optimal level.

But, many smartphone users today do not trust these software upgrades and they think that updating their devices software might actually corrupt the device or can harm the data that has been saved on the device's memory.

Stability

Smartphones are just like computers that run software, which is your operating system, on its hardware. When any changes to the software are made it affects the performance of the whole system. These changes can be caused by any application or any additional service like Adobe Flash that is being used by most smartphones today.

So in order to counter any ill effect, the developers and manufacturers of the devices work in tandem testing out applications and software which might cause instability to the device and release software patches in the from of software upgrades, helping the operating system stay in the best possible shape and enhancing device's stability as well.

Bug fixes

Many a times, certain versions of operating systems found to be causing troubles for smartphones, leading to a bad user experience. Such problems are even found in newly launched handsets.

A classic example of it would be the iPhone 4S which received an upgrade just after the launch of the device.

Apart from battery, there are hundreds of components inside a smartphone that need to operate optimally to perform well but it anything malfunctions, it can be corrected through software upgrades or at least some basic repair work can be attempted by the company.

Security

One of the biggest concerns that smartphone users have today is the security of the data that is saved by these devices automatically and also by the users while doing multiple things like financial transactions and online purchases.

Today cyber criminals are exploiting smartphones in everyway in order to find out a loophole in the security so that they can steal the confidential data for their gain. This is precisely why handset manufacturers also invest in legitimate hacking of the devices in order to find loop holes that need fixing.

So as and when a loophole is found out, a security patch is released by the company as an individual upgrade or as a part for a bigger update file in order to safeguard users from such attacks.

For example, Android has been in the news for such security issues, but security upgrades for the Android devices have also been released from time to time to protect the users.

Hardware issues

Just like software, a smartphone's hardware is another component that sometimes malfunctions and it can be caused by the some error in the operating system or due to some upgrade that was released for the device recently.

For example, the hardware volume rocker or control key on the iPhone 4 stopped working after the operating system was upgraded. But, Apple promptly issued an upgrade to resolve the issue.

Although such issues are rare but there are possibilities as developers and device makers keep experimenting with various options for the benefit of users so there are always possibilities of such happenings.

Additional features

Software upgrades also bring in additional features to smartphones as well.

Source: http://bbs.tecno-mobile.com/forum/general/298262-reasons-why-it’s-important-to-update-your-software-regularly

nice one op. Hardwork pays
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Blastedholligan: 5:34am On Feb 13, 2019
CheapDataGuy:
Na tru sha.
But not planning to even upgrade my gionee jarey
let me sell an iPhone to you.
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Blastedholligan: 5:35am On Feb 13, 2019
MrImole:
When is 9.0 pie coming to Infinix note 5, we are tired.
you guys have not gotten it yet? I thought infinix were faster in getting updates? Though TECNO sef de try for update
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by officialfestus(m): 6:20am On Feb 13, 2019
How can I update my gionee s6s?
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Twinmama(f): 6:25am On Feb 13, 2019
Mims2016:
I updated my Tecno Camon CX Air sometime last year and my hot-spot kept malfunctioning. It went off every 5mins. All possible solutions seemed ineffective. I sent it to a CarlCare centre and it returned with the same problem.
Amazingly I saw a new update today from Tecno and after downloading and installing it, the problem has been fixed.

Please, I just updated my tecno camon cx air too on Sunday I discovered that the os didn't change after the update, I discovered that the 7.0 remained the same.

I remember when I updated my infinix hot 4 the os changed from 7.0 to 7.1 before it was stolen last year.
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by CheapDataGuy: 6:30am On Feb 13, 2019
Blastedholligan:
let me sell an iPhone to you.

I sell data and do heavy online marketing which depends on my phone, iPhone won't be suitable for my kind of business. Thier battery isn't tht strong
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by emmaclue: 6:45am On Feb 13, 2019
Good morning. My infinix note 3pro does not charge when the phone is on except i put it off before it can be charge. What could be the problem and the possible solution? Thanks
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by YeshuaBeloved: 7:29am On Feb 13, 2019
Jaymaxxy:
That's why I chose a Nokia. I receive monthly security updates and I can always upgrade to the next android version with ease.

Thanks for this very vital info.

Nokia is it.

Trust any other at your own peril!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by fruqy(m): 7:44am On Feb 13, 2019
Ejadike:
you mean one needs to wipe phone clean before updating so as to enjoy new features?

No. I mean, AFTER updating, unless it's just a security update.
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by MeeLan: 10:07am On Feb 13, 2019
don't upgrade if you don't have a dire need for it, as your phone dey work jejely, just enjoy am so. no do pass yourself.
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by devbojj: 10:34am On Feb 13, 2019
I will agree with all...esp the security purpose...

This will also make it hard for immature thief ...
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by MONEY247: 10:53am On Feb 13, 2019
Abiodunspectre:
Software upgrades, which have now become synonymous with smartphones, are essentially little updates for smartphone's operating system that allows the device to perform at its optimal level.

But, many smartphone users today do not trust these software upgrades and they think that updating their devices software might actually corrupt the device or can harm the data that has been saved on the device's memory.

Stability

Smartphones are just like computers that run software, which is your operating system, on its hardware. When any changes to the software are made it affects the performance of the whole system. These changes can be caused by any application or any additional service like Adobe Flash that is being used by most smartphones today.

So in order to counter any ill effect, the developers and manufacturers of the devices work in tandem testing out applications and software which might cause instability to the device and release software patches in the from of software upgrades, helping the operating system stay in the best possible shape and enhancing device's stability as well.

Bug fixes

Many a times, certain versions of operating systems found to be causing troubles for smartphones, leading to a bad user experience. Such problems are even found in newly launched handsets.

A classic example of it would be the iPhone 4S which received an upgrade just after the launch of the device.

Apart from battery, there are hundreds of components inside a smartphone that need to operate optimally to perform well but it anything malfunctions, it can be corrected through software upgrades or at least some basic repair work can be attempted by the company.

Security

One of the biggest concerns that smartphone users have today is the security of the data that is saved by these devices automatically and also by the users while doing multiple things like financial transactions and online purchases.

Today cyber criminals are exploiting smartphones in everyway in order to find out a loophole in the security so that they can steal the confidential data for their gain. This is precisely why handset manufacturers also invest in legitimate hacking of the devices in order to find loop holes that need fixing.

So as and when a loophole is found out, a security patch is released by the company as an individual upgrade or as a part for a bigger update file in order to safeguard users from such attacks.

For example, Android has been in the news for such security issues, but security upgrades for the Android devices have also been released from time to time to protect the users.

Hardware issues

Just like software, a smartphone's hardware is another component that sometimes malfunctions and it can be caused by the some error in the operating system or due to some upgrade that was released for the device recently.

For example, the hardware volume rocker or control key on the iPhone 4 stopped working after the operating system was upgraded. But, Apple promptly issued an upgrade to resolve the issue.

Although such issues are rare but there are possibilities as developers and device makers keep experimenting with various options for the benefit of users so there are always possibilities of such happenings.

Additional features

Software upgrades also bring in additional features to smartphones as well.

Source: http://bbs.tecno-mobile.com/forum/general/298262-reasons-why-it’s-important-to-update-your-software-regularly

I updated my samsung galaxy and the hotspot started malfunctioning.
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Realboygenius(m): 11:16am On Feb 13, 2019
MeeLan:
don't upgrade if you don't have a dire need for it, as your phone dey work jejely, just enjoy am so. no do pass yourself.

But some updates are meant to bring improvement and stability to devices.
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Realboygenius(m): 11:18am On Feb 13, 2019
Twinmama:

Please, I just updated my tecno camon cx air too on Sunday I discovered that the os didn't change after the update, I discovered that the 7.0 remained the same.

I remember when I updated my infinix hot 4 the os changed from 7.0 to 7.1 before it was stolen last year.

Not all updates reflects visible changes. Most recent Tecno updates are meant to boost the security patch which is a good one.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Rubiesangel: 12:28pm On Feb 13, 2019
Is there any negative side effect for not updating? Cause I sometime think it isnt necessary.
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Psoul(m): 12:31pm On Feb 13, 2019
I don't worry myself about updates. My phone updates itself automatically.
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Ejadike(m): 4:50pm On Feb 13, 2019
fruqy:

No. I mean, AFTER updating, unless it's just a security update.
ohkay
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Blastedholligan: 10:20pm On Feb 13, 2019
CheapDataGuy:

I sell data and do heavy online marketing which depends on my phone, iPhone won't be suitable for my kind of business. Thier battery isn't tht strong
Which device is most suitable to you? I could help you buy
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by Ennyholar: 7:20am On Feb 18, 2019
Rubiesangel:
Is there any negative side effect for not updating? Cause I sometime think it isnt necessary.

Makes your device vulnerable to malware.
Re: Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly by mobilerevieewbd: 6:54pm On Apr 03, 2019
I always update my Mobile Phone. https://mobilereviewbd.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SIM Infractions: NCC Fines Glo, Airtel, MTN N78.5m / Hacked!!! Download Tweakware Vpn With All Premium Server Free{PROVE} / Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.