Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

My Travel Experience To East Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Travel Experience To East Africa (24669 Views)

I Travel On The Lagos Ibadan Train For Free. Nairalander Share Travel Experience / Share Your Worst Or Funny Travel Experience / Roadside Hawkers: My Experience From Lagos To East. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Travel Experience To East Africa by Predstan: 7:01pm On Feb 12, 2019
After so much deliberation, I decided I will be traveling to East Africa because Dubai is going to be too expensive and i dont think there is anything to see in Dubai. Before i proceed to my epistle, let me list out the East African countries. They are Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Somalia, Madagascar, Kenya and other 12 countries. Am i going to tour the whole of these countries? I wish i could but i cant do that. I am only going to be touring Kigali in Rwanda, Kampala in Uganda, Addis ababa and Nairobi in Kenya.

I paid for my Flight reservation exactly three weeks before my travel date with Ethiopian Airline and I got it cheaper than other Airlines, I believe they are the best in Africa and for the fact that i will have the opportunity to see Ethiopia as well. This is a very good idea.
So its February 7, I was prepared for my flight to Rwanda. I put my gaming laptop(Alienware) and a few clothes in my back pack, my cream and liquid Fair and White bath soap in my Luggage box. Time to go its 9:00am already and my flight will be moving by 1:00pm. Let me include this, as an Engineer and a Technical Site supervisor, i worked from 7am till 10pm a night before my travel date. I think this is the reason i woke up very late the next morning. I have never traveled before so i thought it wont be nice for me to be late for my flight. so i took my bath and was ready to move. I had my Mobile device charged fully and my Laptop full of Potential Energy(P.E). Its time to go, i ordered Uber taxi to pick me up to the airport as i have never been to the international airport before. So nice to see him arrive within 20 minutes with a nice looking Black Corolla Sport. We drove off and arrived at the airport at almost 11:00am.

12 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by uboma(m): 7:28pm On Feb 12, 2019
East Africa is beautiful and a must visit for anyone who loves to tour.

I will create a thread soon on my visit to Kenya.

Ride on Bro, I am following....

4 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Predstan: 8:01pm On Feb 12, 2019
My first disappointment was those tout looking guys at the Muritala Muhammed International Airport. They are selling products and just trying to extort the first timers. well, I bought a padlock for 500 naira. Got in to check in and obtain my Boarding Pass at Ethiopian Airline Counter. I thought they were going to check in my Luggage box, but they said its too small. I was directed to another staff of the Airline, this one keeps shouting "baba show me love" I gave him 200 naira and i proceeded to the Real touts, not in physical appearance but in their behavior and their graft activities. I have prepared for them already so there was no surprise. I presented my passport, my letter for Visa on arrival and other documents.

"Hey, where are you traveling to?" asked by the Immigration officer
I am traveling to Rwanda
On what purpose?
I am going for a tour
How much BTA do you have with you?
I have 400 dollars
Thats not enough. Do you have hotel reservation?
Ofcourse I do and i gave that to you already
You didn't pay for this hotel
Yeah it was not required.
Why dont you have a Visa on your passport?
Rwanda is Visa on arrival for Nigerians and as you can see on that letter i presented earlier, I was going to get my Visa at Kigali International Airport.

Alright, But you cant go now because you need $1000 BTA and a paid hotel reservation.
Okay, can i have my passport and my documents so i can go and do that.
Surprisingly the Immigration officer said they cant return it that its their property. This is my personal ID, you dont have the right to seize it and for the fact that i need a passport to get BTA, just let me have my property Okay? I said you cant have it i have to refer you to our office, He said. On what offense officer? I asked. When you get to our office, you can ask questions there. Okay go ahead, I replied Him. He filled a form and asked my details to complete this form. On completion, he said you don't understand what you are going to face in our office but i can help you if you cooperate. How can you help?, i asked. Just give me $50 and i will stamp you out. Oh lord, where do i get that from? i asked. He replied "Give me $50 out of the 400 you have with you". Well, you should just refer me to your office. I want to help you but you want to put yourself in problem. How much can you afford? he asked. Well i can only give you #1000. He got falsely angry and was shouting you are going to our office. After an hour, i decided to give in and parted away with 3 thousand naira only. I proceeded to scan my luggage and backpack, they dropped my soap and cream together worth 5000naira.
Got in to an Airbus and at exactly 1:40pm, we took off. The real Journey begins.

8 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Predstan: 8:01pm On Feb 12, 2019
uboma:
East Africa is beautiful and a must visit for anyone who loves to tour.

I will create a thread soon on my visit to Kenya.

Ride on Bro, I am following....
Thank You Bro... I will be in Kenya on Thursday.
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by snadguy007(m): 9:01pm On Feb 12, 2019
Following
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Predstan: 9:36pm On Feb 12, 2019
The first impression are the beautiful lady crew serving food and drinks. En-route to Ethiopia... See pictures below. The tasteless matched chicken and the undone rice with other goodies. I ate those things as per say i want to taste what they have.

Please Comment and ask questions. Let me know if you are following. You can also request for pictures that you want to see because i am still on this trip. Currently in Uganda. Request for Pictures you will like to see.

Justwise. Is this good enough to be on Front page?

17 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Olalekank(m): 9:39pm On Feb 12, 2019
I don park my keke for here

Ride on OP
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by debbydee(f): 9:41pm On Feb 12, 2019
dont argue with immigration officer they are time wasters and can delay you unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Tblanre: 9:41pm On Feb 12, 2019
Predstan:
My first disappointment was those tout looking guys at the Muritala Muhammed International Airport. They are selling products and just trying to extort the first timers. well, I bought a padlock for 500 naira. Got in to check in and obtain my Boarding Pass at Ethiopian Airline Counter. I thought they were going to check in my Luggage box, but they said its too small. I was directed to another staff of the Airline, this one keeps shouting "baba show me love" I gave him 200 naira and i proceeded to the Real touts, not in physical appearance but in their behavior and their graft activities. I have prepared for them already so there was no surprise. I presented my passport, my letter for Visa on arrival and other documents.

I am traveling to Rwanda
On what purpose?
I am going for a tour
I have 400 dollars
Rwanda is Visa on arrival for Nigerians and as you can see on that letter i presented earlier, I was going to get my Visa at Kigali International Airport.

Alright, But you cant go now because you need $1000 BTA and a paid hotel reservation.
Surprisingly the Immigration officer said they cant return it that its their property. This is my personal ID, you dont have the right to seize it and for the fact that i need a passport to get BTA, just let me have my property Okay? I said you cant have it i have to refer you to our office, He said. On what offense officer? I asked. When you get to our office, you can ask questions there. Okay go ahead, I replied Him. He filled a form and asked my details to complete this form. On completion, he said you don't understand what you are going to face in our office but i can help you if you cooperate. How can you help?, i asked. Just give me $50 and i will stamp you out. Oh lord, where do i get that from? i asked. He replied "Give me $50 out of the 400 you have with you". Well, you should just refer me to your office. I want to help you but you want to put yourself in problem. How much can you afford? he asked. Well i can only give you #1000. He got falsely angry and was shouting you are going to our office. After an hour, i decided to give in and parted away with 3 thousand naira only. I proceeded to scan my luggage and backpack, they dropped my soap and cream together worth 5000naira.
Got in to an Airbus and at exactly 1:40pm, we took off. The real Journey begins.

Na wah for our immigration o! Ahhhhhh! This is bad na. Guess he wanted to know how much u had on u so he can collect some.
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by claremont(m): 10:12pm On Feb 12, 2019
Predstan:

I am traveling to Rwanda
On what purpose?
I am going for a tour
I have 400 dollars

This is disgusting, and what makes it worse is that you are being treated like this by your own people.

You will love Kenya. I spend my holidays over there. You will get a visa on arrival at JKIA with no issues whatsoever, no touts/area boys to be seen at the airport. Try the local barbecue when you get there, it's called Nyama choma. It's basically barbecue goat meat without the skin. Wash it down with a few bottles of Tusker lager beer. Go to wherever you are lodged for the night and be rest assured that you will find steady power and water supply, fast broadband etc. In the middle of Nairobi itself, there is a national park where you can go on a safari and view wild animals in their natural habitat.

There is corruption in Kenya, but it's a country where the basic amenities work as they should.

P.S: If you are male, my advice is to avoid Kenyan women. They know how to make a Nigerian man fall in love easily and forget Nigerian women. grin

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by olumig(m): 10:12pm On Feb 12, 2019
Predstan:

I am traveling to Rwanda
On what purpose?
I am going for a tour
I have 400 dollars

You should have maintained your stance and not part with a kobo. Next time ask for the Servicom office or attract attention to your plight, they will easily cower. Its a shame that our ports are beguiled with such unpatriotic fellows.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by fuckboys: 10:32pm On Feb 12, 2019
olumig:
You should have maintained your stance and not part with a kobo. Next time ask for the Servicom office or attract attention to your plight, they will easily cower. Its a shame that our ports are beguiled with such unpatriotic fellows.
they could make him miss his flight, I'm sure that's what the op was avoiding and settled them there.

7 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by queengift(f): 10:53pm On Feb 12, 2019
The corruption in Nigeria is alarming, especially at grassroots level

16 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Predstan: 11:16pm On Feb 12, 2019
fuckboys:
they could make him miss his flight, I'm sure that's what the op was avoiding and settled them there.

Yeah exactly. It was about 45minutes before Flight Boarding ends. So i had to part away with exacly what ive prepared for them already
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by olumig(m): 11:31pm On Feb 12, 2019
fuckboys:
To avoid such delay tactics arrive at the port hours before departure

11 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by olumig(m): 11:34pm On Feb 12, 2019
I think its high time this unpatriotic Nigerians should be called out. They have name tags, for evey harassment and extortion we should call them out as it is being done foe the police.

17 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Predstan: 12:54pm On Feb 13, 2019
Arrived Addis Ababa with my phone off after a 5 hour aero-trip. So i dont have enough pictures of the beautiful International airport. The Composed Immigration officer stamped me in for transit and we were transported to a beautiful Hotel(Panorama) in Ethiopia. Couldnt take a picture of dinner because of my flat battery. I ate the same undone rice with spaghetti, cake and water Mellon... Interesting that the rooms does not have Air Condition but it was cold all through. Beautiful Ethiopia with jet looking trains that transport people from one place to another. 24/7 Light and Beautiful ladies everywhere. There was an African summit at the International Airport. I couldnt take pictures as stated earlier so this part might look boring.

8 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by zeestone99(m): 1:18pm On Feb 13, 2019
Sweet

1 Like

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by kagari: 5:56pm On Feb 13, 2019
Predstan:
Pardon, I may not Write very well but i hope you enjoy my real life Experience Around East African Countries.

After so much deliberation, I decided I will be traveling to East Africa because Dubai is going to be too expensive and i dont think there is anything to see in Dubai. Before i proceed to my epistle, let me list out the East African countries. They are Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Somalia, Madagascar, Kenya and other 12 countries. Am i going to tour the whole of these countries? I wish i could but i cant do that. I am only going to be touring Kigali in Rwanda, Kampala in Uganda, Addis ababa and Nairobi in Kenya.

I paid for my Flight reservation exactly three weeks before my travel date with Ethiopian Airline and I got it cheaper than other Airlines, I believe they are the best in Africa and for the fact that i will have the opportunity to see Ethiopia as well. This is a very good idea.
So its February 7, I was prepared for my flight to Rwanda. I put my gaming laptop(Alienware) and a few clothes in my back pack, my cream and liquid Fair and White bath soap in my Luggage box. Time to go its 9:00am already and my flight will be moving by 1:00pm. Let me include this, as an Engineer and a Technical Site supervisor, i worked from 7am till 10pm a night before my travel date. I think this is the reason i woke up very late the next morning. I have never traveled before so i thought it wont be nice for me to be late for my flight. so i took my bath and was ready to move. I had my Mobile device charged fully and my Laptop full of Potential Energy(P.E). Its time to go, i ordered Uber taxi to pick me up to the airport as i have never been to the international airport before. So nice to see him arrive within 20 minutes with a nice looking Black Corolla Sport. We drove off and arrived at the airport at almost 11:00am.

post on my link to encourage more people

https://www.nairaland.com/4284572/tweaking-travel-routes-time-cheap
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Mizwisdom(f): 6:09pm On Feb 13, 2019
I hope you have a good trip. As for the issue at the airport sad next time maintain your stance and go with information about visas on arrival, I guess you went with a virgin passport and he felt you're a novice. That's what people do generally, we tend to take advantage of others even in our daily lives, Yahoo plus and other scamming things are normal here

4 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by otokx(m): 6:29pm On Feb 13, 2019
queengift:
The corruption in Nigeria is alarming, especially at grassroots level

Nigerians thrive on corruption especially these low level ones.

6 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by chukxie(m): 6:43pm On Feb 13, 2019
Isn't it a shame that the Nigeria gov't is yet to put a complete end to the shameful corruption at the Lagos international airport ? Nigeria and corruption are like amu and akpa amu grin

P.S: Enjoy your trip @ Predstan.

10 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Nobody: 8:41pm On Feb 13, 2019
Nice thread. I hope you enjoy your trip.
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Divine200: 8:57pm On Feb 13, 2019
It seems Ethiopians are generally bad cooks. I remember using Ethiopian airline and just because of eating sake I just had to eat the food. It was so tasteless.
I was served exactly what the op was served.

2 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by DisGuy: 10:25pm On Feb 13, 2019
Divine200:
It seems Ethiopians are generally bad cooks. I remember using Ethiopian airline and just because of eating sake I just had to eat the food. It was so tasteless.
I was served exactly what the op was served.

lol its generally airplane food..most airline have bland food

its about time we start making good use of hidden cameras for these immigration and custom officers

15 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by DisGuy: 10:28pm On Feb 13, 2019
Please post pictures of Kigali if you were able to take any...You could charge your phone on the plane next to the entertainment console..theeres usually a usb port, also at hotel you could have charged your phone with the usb ports

9 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Trenton: 7:29am On Feb 14, 2019
op ride on , we are following
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Trenton: 7:31am On Feb 14, 2019
chukxie:
Isn't it a shame that the Nigeria gov't is yet to put a complete end to the shameful corruption at the Lagos international airport ? Nigeria and corruption are like amu and akpa amu grin

guy you funny, but forget naija matter, nobody cares. how are you faring with Xi Jinping and his people
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by chukxie(m): 8:32am On Feb 14, 2019
Trenton:

guy you funny, but forget naija matter, nobody cares. how are you faring with Xi Jinping and his people

We're good, bro. Thanks. God's keeping us. How about you?
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Billz510: 8:42am On Feb 14, 2019
Please my people I need a suggestion because I think I did a wrong thing. I travel to Ghana by land and I have my passport stamp but why living the country by to my home country Nigeria I did not have my passport stamp. Can I go back to Ghana by Air with my passport been not stamp why I left the other time..
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Predstan: 9:46am On Feb 14, 2019
chukxie:

Thank You...
Re: My Travel Experience To East Africa by Predstan: 9:47am On Feb 14, 2019
DisGuy:
Please post pictures of Kigali if you were able to take any...You could charge your phone on the plane next to the entertainment console..theeres usually a usb port, also at hotel you could have charged your phone with the usb ports

Yeah. My USB port was not working. I will surely post enough pictures to feed your eye

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos Of Pilots Killed In The Air Crash / Julius Berger Commences Repair Works On MCC, Onitsha Pedestrian Bridge(photos) / Trailer With Bamboo Falls Across Road In One Man Village, Nasarawa (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.