Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:35 AM

My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out (2354 Views)

Please, Maths Gurus In The House, Help With Solution / Maths Gurus! Help solve these / Our Maths Gurus Please Come In And Solve This For Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 11:42pm On Feb 13, 2019
Hi,my cousin just gave me this to solve as a dare,thinking I couldn't:

If a force(f) is expressed as 10i+5j such that it causes an acceleration of a =4i+j,find the mass the force will act on with such acceleration. I got an answer of 2.71kg after dividing the magnitudes of both vectors. Am I correct? grin

This is serious please
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by Oluwasaeon(m): 11:57pm On Feb 13, 2019
Omo e don tey
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 12:03am On Feb 14, 2019
Oluwasaeon:
Omo e don tey

Like maad. Can you help?
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by Oluwasaeon(m): 12:07am On Feb 14, 2019
COOL10:

Like maad. Can you help?
I swear no
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 12:16am On Feb 14, 2019
Oluwasaeon:

I swear no

Aiit man no p. Thanks for dropping by. I hope others will be able to help confirm smiley
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by chiefolododo(m): 6:10am On Feb 14, 2019
You are correct

2 Likes

Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by femi4: 7:47am On Feb 14, 2019
COOL10:

If a force(f) is expressed as 10i+5j such that it causes an acceleration of a =4i+j,find the mass the force will act on with such acceleration. I got an answer of 2.71kg after dividing the magnitudes of both vectors. Am I correct? grin

This is serious please
m =F/a and m has only magnitude.

Hence

m = Modulus F / Modulus a

m = |√10²+5²|/ |√4²+1²|

√125/√17 = 2.71kg

3 Likes

Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by funkyjms: 9:04am On Feb 14, 2019
Vector if I can still recall

1 Like

Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by qwertyboss(m): 9:25am On Feb 14, 2019
COOL10:

This is serious please
correct

1 Like

Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by KingErnesto(m): 10:17am On Feb 14, 2019
correct

2 Likes

Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by Martinez39(m): 10:21am On Feb 14, 2019
Lol. You are wrong. It's impossible for that exact force to "directly" cause such an acceleration. Remember that mass is a scalar and force(vector) is a scalar multiple of acceleration(vector) ie. F = m a . This show that the acceleration must be in the same direction as the force that's causing it.

So given that such force isn't in the same direction with the object, the question to ask is "what vector component of the force F = 10 i + 5 j is acting in the direction of the acceleration a = 4 i + j ?" that vector component is the force F' = (1/17)[180 i + 45 j ]. So you will get your mass by looking for the scalar m that satisfies F' = m a by using component equality. So

(180/17) = m(4) or (45/17) = m(1)

The mass is (45÷17)kg = 2.65kg (3 s.f)

wink wink

4 Likes

Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 11:15am On Feb 14, 2019
chiefolododo:
You are correct

Thanks smiley
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 11:16am On Feb 14, 2019
femi4:

Hence

m = |√10²+5²|/ |√4²+1²|

√125/√17 = 2.71kg

Thanks
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 11:17am On Feb 14, 2019
KingErnesto:
correct

Thanks man
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 11:23am On Feb 14, 2019
Martinez39:
Lol. You are wrong. It's impossible for that exact force to "directly" cause such an acceleration. Remember that mass is a scalar and force(vector) is a scalar multiple of acceleration(vector) ie. F = m a . This show that the acceleration must be in the same direction as the force that's causing it.

So given that such force isn't in the same direction with the object, the question to ask is "what vector component of the force F = 10 i + 5 j is acting in the direction of the acceleration a = 4 i + j ?" that vector component is the force F' = (1/17)[180 i + 45 j ]. So you will get your mass by looking for the scalar m that satisfies F' = m a by using component equality. So

wink wink

This is the only contrary opinion I've gotten so far(both online and offline),bro. How sure are you the force isn't in the same direction as the acceleration? I can recall that there's nothing like vector division so the only reasonable thing to do was to find their magnitudes and divide them to get the mass
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by barbiesparkz2(f): 11:37am On Feb 14, 2019
COOL10:

This is the only contrary opinion I've gotten so far(both online and offline),bro. How sure are you the force isn't in the same direction as the acceleration? I can recall that there's nothing like vector division so the only reasonable thing to do was to find their magnitudes and divide them to get the mass

Martinez39 is right.

Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by Martinez39(m): 12:16pm On Feb 14, 2019
COOL10:

The direction of a vector in the plane is given by the angle θ it makes with the positive direction of the x-axis. The direction of the vector V = X i + Y j is given by finding θ in the equation tan θ = Y ÷ X .

Try this with both vectors and you won't get the same θ . Another technique is to observe that if two vectors, say V and T , are pointing in the same direction, then there exist a positive scalar k Such that V = k T . Consequentially , T = (1/k) V .

wink wink
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by Kylekent59: 12:22pm On Feb 14, 2019
barbiesparkz2:

Martinez39 is right.

This is the correct answer. The Op solved it direct which is wrong.

When solving questions such as this, first know the direction it's going having known the newton's second law.

Nice one.

There is no need for me to solve it as someone else's has solved it but just gonna drop this

1 Like

Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 1:07pm On Feb 14, 2019
barbiesparkz2:

Martinez39 is right.

I get it now after seeing the diagram. Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 1:08pm On Feb 14, 2019
Kylekent59:

This is the correct answer. The Op solved it direct which is wrong.

When solving questions such as this, first know the direction it's going having known the newton's second law.

Nice one.

There is no need for me to solve it as someone else's has solved it but just gonna drop this

wink wink
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 1:11pm On Feb 14, 2019
femi4:

Hence

m = |√10²+5²|/ |√4²+1²|

√125/√17 = 2.71kg

This was what I thought as well,but using the diagram,it's quite different.
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by femi4: 2:17pm On Feb 14, 2019
COOL10:

This was what I thought as well,but using the diagram,it's quite different.
sure that's true...its been long I tackled question like this.

A lot of factors have to be put into consideration i.e acc along the direction of force.

So a will be 1/√17 (4i + j)

And F in direction of a =10i + 5j . 1/√17 (4i+j)
= 40/√17 + 5/√17 = 45/√17

So, m = 45/√17 * 1/ √17 = 45/17 = 2.65kg
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by anochuko01(m): 4:21pm On Feb 14, 2019
the answer is 56.94 Joules. thank me later
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by femi4: 7:09pm On Feb 14, 2019
anochuko01:
the answer is 56.94 Joules.
thank me later
bros...dem dey measure mass in joules in your village ni
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by anochuko01(m): 7:25pm On Feb 14, 2019
femi4:
bros...dem dey measure mass in joules in your village ni
better sit and learngrin
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 9:15pm On Feb 14, 2019
femi4:
sure that's true...its been long I tackled question like this.

A lot of factors have to be put into consideration i.e acc along the direction of force.

So a will be 1/√17 (4i + j)

And F in direction of a =10i + 5j . 1/√17 (4i+j)
= 40/√17 + 5/√17 = 45/√17

So, m = 45/√17 * 1/ √17 = 45/17 = 2.65kg

Same here. Thanks
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 9:16pm On Feb 14, 2019
anochuko01:
the answer is 56.94 Joules.
thank me later

No,it's 14.67 watts. Nonsense grin
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by qwertyboss(m): 12:48pm On Feb 15, 2019
Martinez39:

wink wink

you are not wrong, but the approach for secondary school lads is the way the op solved it
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 15, 2019
quite cheap though,
I don't think you needed the assistance of gurus,because you solved it,although it was with an elementary approach,which was why your answer was slightly different.
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by COOL10(m): 4:25pm On Feb 15, 2019
Chidorx60:
quite cheap though,
I don't think you needed the assistance of gurus,because you solved it,although it was with an elementary approach,which was why your answer was slightly different.

E don tey jare. No mind me. Just wanted to be totally sure so I could laugh in the guy's face. Which I did today,by the way grin
Re: My Physics/further Maths Gurus. Check This Out by Martinez39(m): 4:45pm On Feb 15, 2019
Chidorx60:
quite cheap though,
He didn't solve it and his answer was plain wrong. His approach was wrong and it defied the understanding of vectors. His answer being slightly different was just a coincidence. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Phone No - Lasu School Of Communication / Computer Science Final Year Project/seminar Students Meets Here / The Convocation Of A Nairalander From Unilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.