Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,741 members, 7,851,556 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:43 PM

Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! (3531 Views)

Power Distribution Firms Reject Supply From Generating Plants / Power Distribution Firms Reject Supply From Generating Plants / Enugu State Government Approves Over N2b For Water And Road Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Beaf: 10:41pm On Aug 24, 2010
9jaganja:

Not everything is state ran. You should go learn about your country!!! Is the government running globacom and MTN? The banks? How many private banks did we have back then? even with military rule? How can you say everything is state ran in Nigeria? You are clueless !!!

MTN and Globalcom, military regime in the same breadth? You must be like 12 or something. Go ask your daddy how old globacom and MTN are.
Also ask him why banks that aren't state run in some instances make the greater proportion of the money from govt rather than private business. Ask an older brother or sister about banks and exposure to petroleum funds.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by honeric01(m): 11:11pm On Aug 24, 2010
Sounds nice, but i hope the buyers aren't going to be Nigerians? undecided
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Nobody: 11:22pm On Aug 24, 2010
Beaf:

MTN and Globalcom, military regime in the same breadth? You must be like 12 or something. Go ask your daddy how old globacom and MTN are.
Also ask him why banks that aren't state run in some instances make the greater proportion of the money from govt rather than private business. Ask an older brother or sister about banks and exposure to petroleum funds.

Bum thing!!!!Where did I say MTN and glo were in the military regime? mehn shut da phuck up animal. They borrow money from government does that mean they are ran by the government? does the government decide where banks invest? mehn talking to y'all.

In my previous post that you couldn't comprehend, in paraphrase, it meant even during the military regime, we had private banks and companies. Not everything is state ran in Nigeria like you would like to believe to support your screwed up statements,
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by netotse(m): 11:23pm On Aug 24, 2010
honeric01:

Sounds nice, but i hope the buyers aren't going to be Nigerians? undecided
guy, why now?. . .are you trying to say nothing good can come out of nigeria?
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Beaf: 11:45pm On Aug 24, 2010
9jaganja:

Bum thing!!!!Where did I say MTN and glo were in the military regime? mehn shut da phuck up animal. They borrow money from government does that mean they are [b]ran by the government?[/b] does the government decide where banks invest? mehn talking to y'all.

In my previous post that you couldn't comprehend, in paraphrase, it meant even during the military regime, we had private banks and companies. Not everything is state ran in Nigeria like you would like to believe to support your screwed up statements,

Is the ganja corrupting the little that is left of your micro brain now? In these days of medical miracles, you could actually get a new one transplanted from a chimp (even if na half current, is still sontin grin).

How is it possible to interprete the phrase "make the greater proportion of the money from govt rather than private business" to mean borrowing money from govt? Charlie how? shocked
When you borrow, you are actually in deficit. Damn!

They make money from the petroleum market, which is 99% govt driven. Govt controls everything very tightly, dig?
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by honeric01(m): 12:01am On Aug 25, 2010
netotse:

guy, why now?. . .are you trying to say nothing good can come out of nigeria?

Nah, that's not what i meant, i want foreign investors to come in instead of the local ones

Can you see the difference the foreign investors brought into our telecommunication sector? that's what i am talking about!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by ebere1712: 1:01am On Aug 25, 2010
Guys, I guess the question now is , can someone go to his hometown and set up a power generation plant at the same time control the distribution side of it (with his own infrastructure that is)? Would I be hassled if I decide to start from a small subsection of a town and maybe expand when I have more resources. How much and how easy would it be to get a licenses to supply electricity to a small town? I hope they have gone through the whole scenarios and made sure that the smaller budget investors can still participate. Without involving smaller budget participators, we will end up with a monopoly and very high cost of energy, which many Nigerians won't still be able buy. Energy in major industrialized nations are relatively cheap, so if we want to help Nigerian industrialists we have to make it cheap. The only way I know that would happen is by encouraging and supporting small budget African entrepreneurs. multinational companies may bring some benefits, but they wouldn't bring afford-ability if they are the sole players in the market.They would simply form a cartel. The benefits of small budget local entrepreneurs are:

1) They are fellow Nigerians
2) The money stays and is spent in Nigeria
3) They would most probably train and employ Nigeria
4) Any major technological breakthrough is Nigerian
5) The technological know how remains in Nigeria

I guess it all boils down the phrase "their is nothing more useful than yours".
The reason I am saying this is that I noticed that the Nigerian government has put serious fees for licenses in the telecommunication industry. I mean, I would understand if this fees were only applicable to big budget investors. But unfortunately they aren't. Those licenses be used in a country that seriously needs investment in those areas. Remove those license fees and recoup your money in tax. Tax big profits more and provide tax cuts to encourage nascent companies. I wonder why those economists surrounding our policy makers aren't telling them these things. Everyday I hear Nigerians scream foreign investors. Foreign investors can play a role in economy building, but hell they can't build your economy for you. It is Nigerians that would build Nigeria. Unless y'all want a repeat of the master, slave scenario. I mean if their must be a super rich, let the super rich be Nigerian. chikena
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Beaf: 1:23am On Aug 25, 2010
^
The govt is currently looking seriously at the sort of thing you've mentioned here. Check this story http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5609384-146/facebook_brings_u.s-based_nigerians_ideas_to.csp

Jonathan is the very first President of Nigeria that the common man can approach. You can get his ear and he'll hear what you've got, if its good it will be implemented. Don't forget he is a PhD, he values knowledge.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Nobody: 2:04am On Aug 25, 2010
Beaf:

Is the ganja corrupting the little that is left of your micro brain now? In these days of medical miracles, you could actually get a new one transplanted from a chimp (even if na half current, is still sontin grin).

How is it possible to interprete the phrase "make the greater proportion of the money from govt rather than private business" to mean borrowing money from govt? Charlie how? shocked
When you borrow, you are actually in deficit. Damn!

They make money from the petroleum market, which is 99% govt driven. Govt controls everything very tightly, dig?

I borrow money from you to start or save my business does that mean you run my business? companies that borrow money from government are not ran by the government. Bail out is not take over. does the government run globacom? NO! They just make regulations. Government doesn't run everything except oil in Nigeria!!! Just stop saying what doesn't relate, When you borrow money you are in deficit so? who doesn't know that? US borrows from China does that mean China runs US too?

Look you are an inconsistent fool, Government doesn't run everything in Nigeria!!!! Shut up they never did!!!!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Beaf: 2:59am On Aug 25, 2010
9jaganja:

I borrow money from you to start or save my business does that mean you run my business? companies that borrow money from government are not ran by the government. Bail out is not take over. does the government run globacom? NO! They just make regulations. Government doesn't run everything except oil in Nigeria!!! Just stop saying what doesn't relate, When you borrow money you are in deficit so? who doesn't know that? US borrows from China does that mean China runs US too?

Look you are an inconsistent fool, Government doesn't run everything in Nigeria!!!! Shut up they never did!!!!

I really see you need that chimp brain transplant. Your current brain is damn fked up with too much ganja. i will repeat the relevant line cos you seem rather dim. Ok? Here goes, "They make money from the petroleum market, which is 99% govt driven. Govt controls everything very tightly, dig?"

Where is the crap about borrowing jumping in from. Leave dat gbana and start thinking straight o! grin grin grin
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Nobody: 3:24am On Aug 25, 2010
Beaf:

I really see you need that chimp brain transplant. Your current brain is damn fked up with too much ganja. i will repeat the relevant line cos you seem rather dim. Ok? Here goes, "They make money from the petroleum market, which is 99% govt driven. Govt controls everything very tightly, dig?"

Where is the crap about borrowing jumping in from. Leave dat gbana and start thinking straight o! grin grin grin

Are you saying banks and other companies in Nigeria make their money from oil? or what Seriously I'll rather have a chimp brain than have yours!!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Beaf: 3:49am On Aug 25, 2010
9jaganja:

Are you saying banks and other companies in Nigeria make their money from oil? or what Seriously I'll rather have a chimp brain than have yours!!

Thats ok, my brain will simply blow your mind, so you should go for the better fit with the chimp one! grin
Yes, quite a few banks make a lot of dosh of petroleum and the petroleum market is almost 100% govt.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by netotse(m): 10:21am On Aug 25, 2010
beaf, e be like say you dey like all these childish arguments o. . .
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:03am On Aug 25, 2010
netotse:

go on, shoot yourself in the foot. . .tell us what happened in the telecoms sector. . .

hehehe, yeah telecomms, well if im not wrong i pay very high tarriffs for crap services, yet i praise the hallowed providers for giving me the opportunity to own a phone that makes me hungry just to keep up with and is often times useless at the very moments i really need it

in the power sector that would be like having power 18 hrs a day, with 12 hours critical period when the power is actually half current or low current or whateva its called.
then i will always say that glory be to the FG and those coys for giving me 18 hrs daily power, i can remember back when power was non-existent, but now i have a lot of low current grin grin grin grin grin grin

dude, watch what you pray for
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by bignaija(m): 1:42pm On Aug 25, 2010
does it really matter ,we want good management not buying and selling
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by lekanbar(m): 9:36pm On Aug 25, 2010
Let's hope something nice comes out of this,

http://lekanbaruwa./2010/08/25/yahoo-yahoo-supported-by-microsoft/
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by usbcable(m): 12:11pm On Aug 26, 2010
honeric01:

Nah, that's not what i meant, i want foreign investors to come in instead of the local ones

Can you see the difference the foreign investors brought into our telecommunication sector? that's what i am talking about!
dont be too optimistic about everything foreign.
when NITEL's monopoly was broken foreign investors(especially MTN) said persecond billing was impossible. Fortunately a local investor(GLOBACOM) made us see the lie in their services.
when DSTV was the sole pay per view T.V provider we were mostly helpless at their customer service and tariffs, fortunately again another local investor (HiTV) broke their stranglehold on us. Now dstv calls and sends SMS to lure us closer to them.
So dont expect a foreigner to be your messiah always.your messiah may be your next door neighbor.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by johnie: 2:05pm On Aug 26, 2010
Someone, anyone please educate me:

How do the independent power projects championed by the last administration dovetail into this administration's new road-map.

Have the IPPs made any impact?

What has been the relationship of the power companies (e.g. Akute power company finanaced by Fidelity Bank) with PHCN?

Simple English o!

:-) smiley
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by johnie: 5:43pm On Aug 26, 2010
^
Duh
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by honeric01(m): 7:22pm On Aug 26, 2010
usbcable:

dont be too optimistic about everything foreign.
when NITEL's monopoly was broken foreign investors(especially MTN) said persecond billing was impossible. Fortunately a local investor(GLOBACOM) made us see the lie in their services.
when DSTV was the sole pay per view T.V provider we were mostly helpless at their customer service and tariffs, fortunately again another local investor (HiTV) broke their stranglehold on us. Now dstv calls and sends SMS to lure us closer to them.
So dont expect a foreigner to be your messiah always.your messiah may be your next door neighbor.

But it was when they came that Glo had the nerves to also invest right? let's do the same with electricity and then wait to see the result.

[size=10pt] UP NEPA, I WONDER WHO'S IN CHARGE NOW, IS IT THE MILITARY TECHNICIANS OR NEPA STAFFS HAVE GONE BACK TO WORK?]
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by erico2k2(m): 8:36am On Aug 30, 2010
netotse:

go on, shoot yourself in the foot. . .tell us what happened in the telecoms sector. . .
lol Y would I shoot myself in the Leg,I was marely saying that things will unfold like the cast of the telecoms industry where compititors came in and tarrif went low plus service improved, Now regarding your argument with SKy blue,I think you are almost right but failing to name the process of power generation to distributiont,You mentioned National greed as just transmission,NO its actuall Generation and Transmission,there are 3 key elemtns here,Generation,Transmission and Distribution,now in the past Govt where responsible for doing all three of this fru NEPA PHCN ETc lol,Govt should have been left to just GEneration, but a the moment, I think someone is beginning to think straight,The have realized that they wann cut spending and leave the part of Distribution to the private sector,Read teh HEad Line its DIstribution the wanna licence and sell,Ie to the final consumer,
Now in one of your arguments i think you said Anyone can supply anybody power regardless of thier Geographical location, thats SPot on absolutely correct
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by otokx(m): 8:48am On Aug 30, 2010
Why only distribution?
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by netotse(m): 9:17am On Aug 30, 2010
@erico2k2
you somehow managed to avoid taking the entire foot off grin, but you still shot yourself though. . .do you know the difference between a privatized telecoms industry and what would happen in nigeria? in telecoms, govt didnt choose the price for them, they were allowed(within limits) to choose the price. In power however, it's the govt that has set the current prices and these prices are making PHCN run at a heavy loss, that is why privatization wont work, because whereas the telecoms companies all turned profits in less than 3 years, in power you'll turn a loss for close to 10 years.

However, i hear tariff increase in part of the power roadmap, that hopefully, is the key ingredient required for any privatization plan in nigeria to have a chance.

(BTW if a power company were to try to get it's capital back in 5years, y'all would have to pay an arm and a leg for electricity.)
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by erico2k2(m): 9:43am On Aug 30, 2010
@otokx
Cos that is the only part of the whole Network they can monitor with lil or no resources
@netotse
No I know I aint gonna shot myself in the foot, Immagine wha would have happened if the govt where responsible for the infastructure of the telecoms industry and the distribution where left with the likes of MTN and Glo lol grin,the seenerio I just mentioned now is not seen in Nigeria yet just cos we have only wirelesss network which is xpenssive anywhere in the world and less reliable
In the Uk we have just two wired Network one use to be Govt and the other more recently private,BT (British Telecoms & NTL Now Virgn Media)this are the owners of the two wired network,everyone else has to rent thier cable.
During innitial consultation on all privatised public sector that involves per unit sale/distrib, there must be a price cap
by the Govt or comittee responsible for the deal,thats how it is in every country,Having said all that,the price cap is not definate as it is capped at a percentage ie xyz% depending on inflation,thats what happened in the case of telecoms in Nigeria during the then Momopoly of MTN

(1) (2) (Reply)

Acn Has Scared Pdp Out Of Lagos –fashola ! / Ondo Trauma Centre Begins Operation / MEND Backs Buhari For Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.