Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,137 members, 7,811,198 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN (1953 Views)

Challenge Me If You Have Proof That I Am Corrupt —Peter Obi Says At Youth Summit / Atiku: Buhari Would Have Arrested Me If I Am Corrupt / 'I Am Not Corrupt' - Atiku Abubakar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by dre11(m): 5:32pm On Feb 15, 2019
The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has disclosed why some Nigerians think he is corrupt.

Speaking in an interview CNN Africa aired on Friday, Atiku said that many people believe he is corrupt because he is “successful”.

The former vice president equally reiterated his earlier position that he would have been indicted and charged if indeed he was corrupt, describing everything being said about him as “allegations”.

Atiku challenged anyone with evidence of his alleged corruption to come out publicly and present it.

He said, “I have never been charged. I have never been indicted. They are all allegations. And I have asked anybody, I have dared people publicly that if anybody has any evidence of corruption against me, let him come out.”

When he was asked, “Are you corrupt?” Atiku replied, “I’m not. Certainly not because if I’m corrupt I would have been either charged or indicted.”

Speaking about gender equality, the PDP candidate vowed to give a huge percentage of his cabinet positions to women in following the tradition of his party if elected on Saturday.

He said, “As far as the party is concerned the PDP since our inception we have always given women a quota in terms of whether appointments or election into party offices or in government.

“The PDP government if you look into our record, we have had more women ministers in our cabinet than any other government.

“This (Buhari’s government) is the only government that’s not PDP anyway, and it has less women in government.

“In my microfinance bank I said 80 per cent of the loans should go to women.”

On security situation, Atiku pledged to combat insecurity in the country by equipping the military and reviewing the welfare of lower-cadre military men that sacrifice their lives for the nation.

He said, “I blame the political leadership for not equipping the military and not giving them the necessary morale.”

The PDP candidate said he would make sure that “we have a military that is professionally competent and professionally effective and that also has conditions of service that can take care of themselves and also their families.”

He added, “Unfortunately that is not the development. And I think that has brought down the morale of the military.”

Asked how his administration would be different, Atiku said, “We have to make sure that the military is very well equipped, very well trained.

“And we also have to review the conditions of service, particularly of the lower cadre who sacrifice their lives for all of us to live.”

https://www.herald.ng/why-people-think-im-corrupt-atiku-speaks-ahead-of-presidential-poll/
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by stephleena(f): 5:33pm On Feb 15, 2019
lol..I'm Atikulated already..
Buhari wey no corrupt wetin naija gain from him?

8 Likes

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by iamvictorbassey: 5:34pm On Feb 15, 2019
Let's hope its free and fair tomorrow. So that you can start implementing.

8 Likes

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by stephleena(f): 5:36pm On Feb 15, 2019
Buhari is an epitome of corruption sef ..

Buhari has fought corruption, as he claimed.. let Atiku come and fight poverty and create Jobs

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by three: 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by festacman(m): 5:39pm On Feb 15, 2019
Campaign has ended midnight yesterday. A lot have been said to woo the electorates. The stage is set. It is about to go down. The ball is in court of Nigerians to make a choice. Whoever gets more thumb-ups than others steps forward.

Elections in democracy is purely popularity contest. It is not a test for physical fitness, intellectual depth or integrity. It about how many people identity with you for WHATEVER reasons.

God bless Nigeria and every Nigerian including those who 12 hours ago called us Zoogeria but now want to vote with us for our president. God bless everybody.

Inspite of our past blunders we did not end up as Venezuela. The future of Nigeria is still so bright that it burns the eyes.

1 Like

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by TIGRITIS: 5:40pm On Feb 15, 2019
Na your oga talk am.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Indispensable85(m): 5:41pm On Feb 15, 2019
You're actually corrupt.
You will be rejected tomorrow.
You rejection has started from home already.
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by peeddy(m): 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2019
well articulated just like how we are atikulated. God bless the incoming GCFR.

5 Likes

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by sogodihno: 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2019
No sir, we are not thinking, we know u are corrupt in fact u are corruption.

your business partner is cooling off in prison in USA now, u will go and join him soon, after ur loss tomorrow.

No place for corrupt individual in Baba government, Onoghen and charged and bail lawyers of Nairaland can explain better.

4+4 jor.

NEXT LEVEL

3 Likes

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Okoroawusa: 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2019
Who does this man think he is talking to?
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by magoo10(m): 5:43pm On Feb 15, 2019
To some people buhari is not corrupt because he has 150 gay cows.
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Born2Breed(f): 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2019
This man is so intelligent.

Meanwhile,/Aisha Buhari has warned that a vote for Buhari is a vote the cabal.

https://twitter.com/hartng/status/1096314878434918400?s=19

1 Like

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Nwadiuto247: 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2019
Let those who said he is corrupt produce evidence and nail him.

Failure to do so means they are bunch of liars and hypocrites.

Meanwhile Ganduje is still being celebrated by this govt of APC despite the strong evidence of corruption against him.

Even Tinubu and ELrufai were banned from entering the US yet they are not talking about it but they have been disturbing us about that of Atiku.

Finally Atiku disgraced them by visiting the USA

2 Likes

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Bakeroy: 5:49pm On Feb 15, 2019
You are a Nigerian, you are not corrupt but smart, unlike the dullard that claim to be a saint but yet corrupt with other corrupt close associates.

Atiku will be our president insha allah.

2 Likes

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Emedu(m): 5:50pm On Feb 15, 2019
Corruption: The US Senate report that finally nailed Atiku Abubakar
Sunday, December 3, 2017 6:13 pm
Tweet Share to Facebook Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar
Former vice president Atiku Abubakar has for a long time been challenging Nigerians who accused him of being corrupt to come forward and prove it. So far nobody has come forward.
Well, has received a report on how Atiku was the subject of a probe ten years ago, by a United States Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, chaired by Senator Carl Levin.
The report detailed how Atiku Abubakar while still the vice president of Nigeria between 2000 and 2008, used offshore companies to siphon millions of dollars to his fourth wife in the United States, Jennifer Douglas.
Specifically, the report said Jennifer Douglas, an American citizen, helped her husband bring over $40 million in suspect funds into the United States through wire transfers sent by offshore corporations to U.S. bank accounts.
In 2004, the then President Bush barred Atiku and other corrupt politically exposed persons from being issued visa to the United States.
The US Senate probe was motivated by US government concern about corruption in the Third World and its corrosive effects on the development of honest government, democratic principles, and the rule of law.
“It is also blamed for distorting markets, deterring investment, deepening poverty, undermining international aid efforts, and fostering crime. Some have drawn connections between corruption, failed states, and terrorism. Corruption also continues to be a massive problem. The World Bank has estimated that $1 trillion in bribes alone exchange hands worldwide each year,” the committee noted in its bulky report.
Atiku was not the only foreign Politically Exposed Person(PEP) probed by the committee. He had company in Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue, now the 48-year-old son of Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mbasogo, the President of Equatorial Guinea (EG), late President of Gabon, Omar Bongo and three Angolan PEP accounts, involving an Angolan arms dealer, an Angolan government official, and a small Angolan private bank.
The committee submitted its report on 4 February 2010, three years after Atiku left office.
The report unveiled violations of US laws by Atiku and his fourth wife, Jennifer Douglas. It also included revelations about Siemens bribe paid into one of the accounts, and it possibly provided the basis for Atiku being barred from entering the United States, since then.
This Report examines how politically powerful foreign officials, their relatives, and close associates – referred to in international agreements as Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs) – have used the services of U.S. professionals and financial institutions to bring large amounts of suspect funds into the United States to advance their interests. Using four case histories, this Report shows how some PEPs have used U.S. lawyers, real estate and escrow agents, lobbyists, bankers, and even university officials, to circumvent U.S. anti-money laundering and anti- corruption safeguards. This Report also offers recommendations to stop the abuses.
Here is a summary of the report:
Atiku Case History.
From 2000 to 2008, Jennifer Douglas, a U.S. citizen and the fourth wife of Atiku Abubakar, former Vice President and former candidate for President of Nigeria, helped her husband bring over $40 million in suspect funds into the United States through wire transfers sent by offshore corporations to U.S. bank accounts.
In a 2008 civil complaint, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission alleged that Ms. Douglas received over $2 million in bribe payments in 2001 and 2002, from Siemens AG, a major German corporation.
While Ms. Douglas denies wrongdoing, Siemens has already pleaded guilty to U.S. criminal charges and settled civil charges related to bribery and told the Subcommittee that it sent the payments to one of her U.S. accounts.
In 2007, Mr. Atiku was the subject of corruption allegations in Nigeria related to the Petroleum Technology Development Fund.
Of the $40 million in suspect funds, $25 million was wire transferred by offshore corporations into more than 30 U.S. bank accounts opened by Ms. Douglas, primarily by Guernsey Trust Company Nigeria Ltd., LetsGo Ltd. Inc., and Sima Holding Ltd.
The U.S. banks maintaining those accounts were, at times, unaware of her PEP status, and they allowed multiple, large offshore wire transfers into her accounts. As each bank began to question the offshore wire transfers, Ms. Douglas indicated that all of the funds came from her husband and professed little familiarity with the offshore corporations actually sending her money.
When one bank closed her account due to the offshore wire transfers, her lawyer helped convince other banks to provide a new account. In addition, two of the offshore corporations wire transferred about $14 million over five years to American University in Washington, D.C., to pay for consulting services related to the development of a Nigerian university founded by Mr. Atiku Abubakar.
American University accepted the wire transfers without asking about the identity of the offshore corporations or the source of their funds, because under current law, the University had no legal obligation to inquire.
Executive Summary
Combating corruption is a key U.S. value and goal, due to its corrosive effects on the rule of law, economic development, and democratic principles. In 2001, the Patriot Act made the acceptance of foreign corruption proceeds a U.S. money laundering offense for the first time, and required banks to apply enhanced scrutiny to private banking accounts opened for senior foreign political figures, their relatives, and close associates. In 2003, the United States supported the United Nations Convention Against Corruption, now ratified by over 140 countries. Also in 2003, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) formed an investigative group dedicated to combating foreign corruption by PEPs. In 2004, President Bush issued Presidential Proclamation 7750 denying U.S. visas to foreign officials involved with corruption, and Congress later enacted supporting legislation. A 2009 study sponsored by the World Bank analyzed PEP controls worldwide and recommended stronger measures to reduce corruption.
The Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (Subcommittee) initiated this investigation to learn how U.S. laws apply to PEPs utilizing the domestic financial system, and examine how foreign senior political figures, their relatives, and close associates may be circumventing or undermining anti-money laundering (AML) and PEP controls to bring funds that may be the product of foreign corruption into the United States. It is the latest in a series of Subcommittee hearings examining foreign corruption and its U.S. aiders and abettors.
During the course of its investigation, the Subcommittee staff conducted over 100 interviews, including interviews of lawyers, real estate agents, escrow agents, lobbyists, bankers, university professionals, and government officials. The Subcommittee issued over 50 subpoenas and reviewed millions of pages of documents, including bank records, correspondence, contracts, emails, property records, flight records, news articles, and court pleadings. In addition, the Subcommittee consulted with foreign officials, international organizations, financial regulators, and experts in anti-money laundering and anti-corruption efforts.
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Nwadiuto247: 5:54pm On Feb 15, 2019
I ve learnt my lesson in Buhari's case.

Not being corrupt doesnt make one a good leader.

Buhari is seen as not being corrupt but he lacks leadership qualities and thats why he failed.

Atiku has leadership qualities and i i believe he will do a lot better than Buhari.

Those who are saying tthat he is corrupt have failed to nail him with evidence over the years including Obasanjo.

This is 2019, you dont just tell us that someone is corrupt without evidence.

Ganduje has been caught in the act of ocrruption yet he is still a governor fully supported by Buhari and APC. This indeed is hypocrisy at its peak.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2019
stephleena:
Buhari is an epitome of corruption sef ..

Buhari has fought corruption, as he claimed.. let Atiku come and fight poverty and create Jobs
But Buhari created jobs for many.
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Nwadiuto247: 5:58pm On Feb 15, 2019
TIGRITIS:
Na your oga talk am.

Oga that has not been able to present an evidence to back up his claim.

You want us to still believe allegations without evidence in 2019? Grow up pls.

The one of Ganduje that is backed by evidence what have you people in power done? NOTHING.

Hypocrisy rings high in this government of PMB
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 15, 2019
Indispensable85:
You're actually corrupt.
You will be rejected tomorrow.
You rejection has started from home already.
Can you prove it beyond reasonable doubt?
Do you have substantial evidence or perception of him been corrupt?
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 15, 2019
sogodihno:
No sir, we are not thinking, we know u are corrupt in fact u are corruption.

your business partner is cooling off in prison in USA now, u will go and join him soon, after ur loss tomorrow.

No place for corrupt individual in Baba government, Onoghen and charged and bail lawyers of Nairaland can explain better.

4+4 jor.

NEXT LEVEL
Prove it as stated by him or remain silent
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by TIGRITIS: 6:00pm On Feb 15, 2019
[s]
Nwadiuto247:

Oga that has not been able to present an evidence to back up his claim.

You want us to still believe allegations without evidence in 2019? Grow up pls.

The one of Ganduje that is backed by evidence what have you people in power done? NOTHING.
[/s]
Obj knows atiku the thief better than you and I.
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by KunleyY19(m): 6:02pm On Feb 15, 2019
So does that mean Respected International Bodies are liars...
Including One Calling you an "ESTABLISHED THIEF"...

There's no smoke without fire...
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by sogodihno: 6:03pm On Feb 15, 2019
asuustrike1:

Prove it as stated by him or remain silent

what other proof do I need, his boss that's the closest to him, have told us. Go and read my watch by OBJ u will get all your answer there.
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by TIGRITIS: 6:04pm On Feb 15, 2019
[s]
Nwadiuto247:
I ve learnt my lesson in Buhari's case.

Not being corrupt doesnt make one a good leader.

Buhari is seen as not being corrupt but he lacks leadership qualities and thats why he failed.

Atiku has leadership qualities and i i believe he will do a lot better than Buhari.

Those who are saying tthat he is corrupt have failed to nail him with evidence over the years including Obasanjo.

This is 2019, you dont just tell us that someone is corrupt without evidence.

Ganduje has been caught in the act of ocrruption yet he is still a governor fully supported by Buhari and APC. This indeed is hypocrisy at its peak.
[/s]
Cock and bull story that won't save athifku's sorry arss.

On one hand, buhari is the most corrupt, on another hand, buhari non corruption doesn't make him a good bla bla bla.

Go and say to the birds.
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Nwadiuto247: 6:05pm On Feb 15, 2019
TIGRITIS:
[s][/s]

And he has not been able to submit evidence to EFCC and ICPC for the past twelve years that they left power? Quite a shame.

Atiku has been out of power and without immunity for twelve years now yet no one of them, including OBJ has been able to nail him.

They are only gossiping about Atiku.

We dont deal with gossips pls. Produce your evidence or keep shut.

1 Like

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Randomshotzz(m): 6:06pm On Feb 15, 2019
TIGRITIS:
[s][/s]

Is Obj the evidence you will provide in court? Smh

2 Likes

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by TIGRITIS: 6:06pm On Feb 15, 2019
[s]
Nwadiuto247:

And he has not been able to submit evidence to EFCC and ICPC for the past twelve years that they left power? Quite a shame.

Atiku has been out of power and without immunity yet no one of them, including OBJ has been able to nail him.

They are only gossiping about Atiku.

We dont deal with gossips pls.
[/s]
Go and say that to the birds.

Buhari will teach the Cameroonian thief a lesson he will never forget in his entire criminal life.
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by TIGRITIS: 6:08pm On Feb 15, 2019
[s]
Randomshotzz:

Is Obj the evidence you will provide in court? Smh
[/s]
I don't have time for all these nyama nyama talks.

Tommorow is election, buhari will teach the Cameroonian thief a lesson of his life.

Bye.
Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by Afamed: 6:08pm On Feb 15, 2019
The number of vote for ATIKU will determine the number of thieves and corrupt people we have in this country.

1 Like

Re: Why People Think I Am Corrupt – Atiku Tells CNN by TIGRITIS: 6:08pm On Feb 15, 2019
Afamed:
The number of vote for ATIKU will determine the number of thieves and corrupt people we have in this country.
Gham.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tony Iwelu: Rotimi Amaechi’s Chief Security Officer Dies Of Electric Shock / $3B Down The Drain, Oil Remains Elusive In The North / RE: 20 Members Needed- Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.