Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:53 PM

10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space (6235 Views)

The Only 4 Countries With The “capacity” To Destroy A Satellite In Space / Narrate The Most Dangerous Thing You Did In Secondary School / How Do Astronauts Bathe In Space? Also, How Do They Dispose off their feaces? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 11:32am On Feb 18, 2019
Hey there, how are ya? You're lookin' out of this world. wink

You get the pun?

Space is filled with an unimaginably large number of things; things that benefit us, like sunshine from the sun, and gravity, which keeps us in orbit and basically prevents us from flying into the abyss. But there are plenty more things that have been found in space that are very dangerous to human life, things that are real threats that, should we ever come across them, would be a big problem for us.

- Here are the 10 Most Dangerous Things Found in Space.
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 11:41am On Feb 18, 2019
#10: Comets
Comets continually orbit around star systems, but these naturally-occurring propelled masses of ice and rock are very dangerous. From studying comets in our own star system, we know that they are icy bodies which, when warmed by the rays of our sun, release gas and dust, creating a huge tail behind them.

This jet-like process propels these objects around the solar system, but because comets propel themselves while being pulled around by the gravitational forces of the solar system, their orbits are eccentric and not always easily calculated.

There are well over 5,000 comets in our solar system with thousands more potentially out there just flying around. Some of these comets have nuclei measuring up to 100 kilometers. Literally, if one of these ever hit our planet, the energy released would wipe out, um, all of us. There's something to think about while you go to bed tonight. grin

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 11:44am On Feb 18, 2019
#9 Asteroids
Asteroids are rocky objects which orbit a star. And like comets, they can crash into planets, causing devastation. For the most part, asteroids tend to be fragments of rock formed during the early stages of a star system. Otherwise, they can be the debris left over from large collisions involving planets or moons, or even the remnants of a larger rock body torn apart by gravitational forces.

In some rare cases, they may have even originated from other star systems and were fired into our solar system during a supernova or other high-energy event. Through gravitational attraction, asteroids can be put on a crash course with a planet.

Oh, Conspiracist, that would never happen. That's only in the movies. cheesy

Actually, it's happened to Earth before. And scientists believe that there are so many asteroids out there, it's not a matter of if but a matter of when this happens again.

Where's Bruce Willis when you need him? angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 11:46am On Feb 18, 2019
#8: Coronal Ejections
Coronal ejections from stars have the potential to cripple technology and even burn off parts of the planet's atmosphere. In case you didn't know, we need that. tongue

While they're actually very common, these ejections just need to be the correct strength and trajectory to cause mayhem for anything caught in their path. It's assumed that, just like our own sun, all stars produce such events, and so this would be a hazard to every star system in the universe.

Coronal ejections usually occur during a sun flare, which is a sudden increase in energy output on the surface of a star. Though some flares do not result in coronal ejections, when they do the star spews out hot, radiated clouds of plasm. When this shockwave of plasma reaches a planet, it can cause geomagnetic storms which tears electrons from electronic devices and may even expose any present life to cosmic radiation.

And I know the comics make that sound cool, like you're gonna turn into Bruce Banner, the Hulk, but that's most likely not gonna happen. lipsrsealed You're more likely just gonna have hands growing out your face. cheesy grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 11:50am On Feb 18, 2019
#7: Interstellar Planets
We commonly think of planets as masses of rock or gas which orbit a star. But there are planets out there without a home, and if one of them wandered into a star system, it could be disastrous. Hey, just a planet looking for a home. Oh, what is that, Earth? I'm comin' for ya.

These interstellar planets spin through space without orbiting a star. It's believed this occurs when a planet either flung out of a planetary system by gravitational forces or when a planet forms from debris outside of a stellar region.

Some of these planets may even be failed stars which didn't reach enough mass to ignite. It's possible that an interstellar planet could pass close enough to a star system to be pulled into it.

For example, if a new planet were suddenly mushed into our star system, basically there would just be constant planetary collisions. And it's not Like there's just a few of them. It's estimated that there are billions of these worlds out there as we speak, wandering alone through the cosmos.

Yeah, that's not good. Do interstellar restraining orders exist? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 11:55am On Feb 18, 2019
#6: High-Velocity Stars
High-velocity stars are some of the most dangerous objects in the universe. They move faster than the stars in their local neighborhood, and so they have potential to collide with other star systems. Like an interstellar game of bumper cars, except everyone dies. There are three types of high-velocity stars. These are runaway stars, halo stars, and hyper-velocity stars. Of these three, it's hyper-velocity stars which are the most dangerous. And also have the coolest name. These stars can have velocities which are so high that they can escape the gravitational pull of an entire galaxy.

Interestingly, no one is quite sure how they even form, although some theories suggest that each hyper-velocity star previously orbited a second star, which then exploded and accelerated the surviving star to hyper-velocity. If a hyper-velocity star entered our star system, it could pull planets into its fiery embrace.

It's so romantic. smiley cheesy grin

1 Share

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 11:57am On Feb 18, 2019
#5: Supernova
A Supernova is a devastatingly dangerous space explosion. They occur at the end of a massive star's lifespan, when a titanic explosion takes place, creating a light source which can easily outshine most of the stars around it.

These events have been recorded in the night sky many times, especially with Kepler's Supernova in 1604, visible to the naked eye even though it was 20,000 light years away. When the explosion occurs, the dying star expels much of its matter at 10% the speed of light. This gigantic shockwave has the potential to destroy basically anything in its path.

Hey everybody, get ready to die. You better watch out. grin

Now, while these events are rare, some people believe that dim white dwarf stars could explode in this way, which could happen suddenly with almost no warning. But luckily, no such candidates have been found close to Earth, yet. So, just saying, you might want to cross your fingers that our interstellar neighborhood is a safe one.

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 12:01pm On Feb 18, 2019
#4: Rogue Black Holes.

Black holes are among the most fascinating objects in the cosmos. But one theory suggests that their destructive power could be waiting just around the corner.

Hey, hey there. I'm a black hole. I'm destructive. cheesy

Known as Rogue Black Holes, these gigantic objects are capable of strolling into a star system and swallowing it up. Basically like an all you can eat planet buffet.

They're produced when a star collapses in on itself, creating a point in space where gravity is so strong, even light can't escape from it. What's worse is that they can't be observed directly, and we can only detect them when we see their gravitational influence. While a supermassive black hole can be spotted moving around a distant galaxy, there actually is one that is much closer to home. Known only as the Bullet, this probable rogue black hole is moving against the rotation of our Milky Way galaxy and could destroy any system it encounters.

Oh, don't worry, if you haven't lost sleep yet based on my impending doom, we got three more to go.

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 12:08pm On Feb 18, 2019
#3: Gamma Rays

Gamma ray bursts are one of the most energetic explosions in the entire universe. If one of them hit Earth, the consequences would be ... What's the word?

Deadly

They're caused by a rapidly rotating, high-mass star collapsing in on itself. This creates a neutron star, quirk star or black hole and releases a beam of radiation in the process. These bursts contain more energy in just a few seconds than our sun will release across its estimated 10-billion-year-long life.

If one of these bursts is directed at Earth, it would deplete our ozone and expose us to harmful cosmic radiation. Now, the good news is is that scientists believe that it is unlikely than an event like this will happen. But some also believe that a gamma ray burst was responsible for the Ordovician extinction around 455 million years ago.

In case you don't know what that is, that event wiped out nearly 85% of marine species. So that's bad news for fishermen.

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 12:11pm On Feb 18, 2019
#2: Galactic Cannibalism

No, this isn't aliens eating themselves. Let me explain.

Galactic cannibalism is one of the most dangerous and terrifying events in the known universe. Galaxies contain billions of stars and planets, and some may even have supermassive black holes at their center. This creates an immense amount of gravitational pull. When the gravitational attraction of two galaxies takes effect, a collision occurs which rips entire stars and planetary systems out of their orbit.

Usually the larger galaxy absorbs either a section of, or the entire smaller galaxy. And scientists predict that this is going to happen in the next five years cheesy *laughing maniacally* No, no, I'm joking, I'm joking. It's going to take four billions years, when our galaxy will collide with the Andromeda galaxy, with a 12% chance that our entire solar system would be ejected from the newly-formed galaxy out to wherever.

Good thing that by then Earth won't even be habitable due to our sun expanding. Every cloud has a silver lining, I guess?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Conspiracist: 12:13pm On Feb 18, 2019
#1: Big Rip
Most cosmologists agree that the universe began with a gigantic explosion known as the Big Bang, but some believe that this event will inevitably lead to the end of the universe itself, known as the Big Rip.

This theory states that the universe will eventually literally tear itself apart. The idea is that, following the Big Bang, the universe began expanding. This expansion is still accelerating due to an elusive force known as dark energy.

Those who support the Big Rip hypothesis believe that this expansion will eventually stretch the universe to an infinite point, causing everything from galaxies to stars, even subatomic particles themselves to suddenly tear apart. But hopefully this doesn't happen for a very long time. For two reasons:
a) Because I want to live cheesy

b) I've got a lot of errands to do today. grin grin

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Timmypromise(m): 12:35pm On Feb 18, 2019
everything is caused by the star

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Bestinstinct(m): 2:15pm On Feb 18, 2019
Las las the world will sha come to an end.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by BrainnewsRadio(f): 2:29pm On Feb 18, 2019
Thanks op for the wonderful post
But, when are you taking me to space?

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by MrDojo(m): 3:47pm On Feb 18, 2019
Good thread. cheesy cheesy I wish I can live to see the year 3000-5000, I know man would explored other planets and formed colonies on those planets. cry grin Thank God for for life.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by mrMeen(m): 4:28pm On Feb 18, 2019
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH who wants to see the end the world.
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by blingxx(m): 4:50pm On Feb 18, 2019
Conspiracist:
#7: Interstellar Planets
We commonly think of planets as masses of rock or gas which orbit a star. But there are planets out there without a home, and if one of them wandered into a star system, it could be disastrous. Hey, just a planet looking for a home. Oh, what is that, Earth? I'm comin' for ya.

These interstellar planets spin through space without orbiting a star. It's believed this occurs when a planet either flung out of a planetary system by gravitational forces or when a planet forms from debris outside of a stellar region.

Some of these planets may even be failed stars which didn't reach enough mass to ignite. It's possible that an interstellar planet could pass close enough to a star system to be pulled into it.

For example, if a new planet were suddenly mushed into our star system, basically there would just be constant planetary collisions. And it's not Like there's just a few of them. It's estimated that there are billions of these worlds out there as we speak, wandering alone through the cosmos.

Yeah, that's not good. Do interstellar restraining orders exist? undecided undecided

Interstellar movie comes to mind grin greatest movie ever cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by lawani: 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2019
Nice article
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by DimkpaBini: 6:28pm On Feb 18, 2019
Lalasticlala.Food is ready cheesy
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by abumeinben(m): 6:42pm On Feb 18, 2019
Corona ejections or solar flares
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Anas97(f): 8:35pm On Feb 18, 2019
Wow. Dis is really educating. Thumbs up grin
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by PrincessB1(f): 8:35pm On Feb 18, 2019
Interesting
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by ejihand(m): 8:48pm On Feb 18, 2019
Either of this event when it happens in grand scale, Will produce quantum of energy in form of radiations, heat and more importantly fire which wipe off any living things on the surface of the earth. Then, Christian's and probably Muslim will believe that hellfire has taken place.

Religion is the greatest setback in human event. Unfortunately, no one is bold enough to questions alot of these dogmas and believes simply because they were born into it.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Davidhero(m): 8:53pm On Feb 18, 2019
My opinion; some of these are hypothetical theories.

It will take billions of light years to occur.
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Raydos: 8:55pm On Feb 18, 2019
If you believe this śhîť then you can literally believe anything in this world

As much as I like science, This part of science is what I hate most and will never believe this śhìť

Are they God?? God knows how he makes all these works without one Affecting other, but these foolish scientist will keep on coming up with scary lies all the time

Since they have been predicting the end of the world over 50years now, has anything happened? ?

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by wiseone28: 9:02pm On Feb 18, 2019
BrainnewsRadio:
Thanks op for the wonderful post
But, when are you taking me to space?
Use the radio waves grin
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 18, 2019
Humanoids and Spiritoids.

You first heard it here.
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by goodnewscliff(m): 9:50pm On Feb 18, 2019
this my passion.... space studies!!!!!! un fortunately... dis kind thing no dy 9jaa!!!!! always fascinated nd way more curious on dis one than any oda thing....... wink wink

9ja no b country shaaa angry sad sad

my passion jst dy pending until i get my ass outta here

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by NotBeenPaid: 10:08pm On Feb 18, 2019

Amazing discoveries by the Whites.

Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Noblefreeman(m): 10:27pm On Feb 18, 2019
11. Buhari will be found there as a debris after may 29th
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by Fidelismaria: 10:57pm On Feb 18, 2019
What's the difference between a comet and an asteroid
Re: 10 Most Dangerous Things Found In Space by malificent(f): 11:43pm On Feb 18, 2019
One of my favorite pastimes cheesy

Reading about the cosmos..
Nice thread OP

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need Advice On Mba Programme In University Of Ibadan / Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Chemical Engineering? / I Was Rape Today By My Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.