Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,462 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Giving Back To The Society - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Giving Back To The Society (183 Views)

I Propose The Motion: Religion Has Done More Harm Than Good To The Society / Atheist Society Of Nigeria Celebrates Christmas. See Reactions (Photos) / Is It Right To Be A Christian And Join Secret Society?; Pastor Shares Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Giving Back To The Society by obinnocity(m): 5:13pm On Feb 18, 2019
Topic: Giving Back To The Society
Bible Text: II Corinthians 9:6-11

Key verse: Acts 20:35
"...remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive"

Should we always be on the receiving side of life? Should we feel entitled to getting assistance from people, relations, friends, and government? It is the Dead Sea that only collects water but the Sea of Galilee is always giving out and has fresh water all the time, though both receives water from River Jordan. There comes a time in our own lives when we need to take up some responsibilities. Every one of us have something good to give to the society. If you look very well you'll definitely discover it. Giving back to the society goes beyond monetary donations; it could just be your time, attention, talents, skills, or material things.

Someone might sit back and start saying things like: you know that I'm still a student; I'm a fresh graduate and I don't have a job yet; I haven't finished taking of myself how can I think of others; my family is poor and we don't have enough; when I have plenty of money I will reach out but not now; let others do it; everything is tight and I am struggling to survive; the economy of the country is not helping matters etc. Start from where you are and do what you can. There is no excuse in age, status or resources for your non-involvement in building a better society.

Examples of things to give to the society are: the spoken word of God, copies of the Bible, and books; your prayers and intercessions for others; free medical services; clothing to vulnerable children and the poor; free water to your neighborhood; outreach to the prisoners and the sick; relief materials to the internally displaced persons; educational assistance and scholarships; schools related projects for communities; libraries and book clubs; your written works; tutorials; your video documentaries; christian or character building movies and songs; your skills; your time etc.

Just imagine this modern world of wars, conflicts, and hurting people without humanitarian agencies, volunteers and donors like Red cross society, UNICEF, European Union and Commission, Bill and Melinda Gate foundation, Nigeria Christian Corpers Fellowship (NCCF) through rural rugged evangelism, giving churches and outreaches, etc. These are organisations and individuals in the world who have devoted themselves to bettering the society through donations and charity. They have contributed their ideas, time, money, and material resources to various causes for the underprivileged globally.

You too can leave a print in the hearts and lives of people. Start by paying someone compliment to encourage their good efforts; lend a helping hand to someone in need; perform random acts of kindness like paying of transportation fare for a fellow passenger or the aged even if you don't know them; volunteer in community leadership; start serving in a unit of your local church; get involved in community environmental cleaning and sanitation; plant a tree in the environment to reciprocate the Oxygen-Nitrogen intake exchange, reach out to your alma mater and contribute to her growth; follow up the education of a child in your community or somewhere; reach out to orphanage homes; embarking on continuous corporate social responsibility projects as a company; increase the security condition of your area by knowing your neighbours; install a water dispensing tap outside your house for others to fetch from etc.

The benefits in giving back to the society are many, they are: you will become more sensitive to your environment; you will build a great reputation of societal trust; a new chapter of leadership will be opened to you as you get noticed by your community; God will reward you now and in His Kingdom; it brings about a sense of gratitude which makes others to replicate same in the society; givers never lack; it fills one's heart with joy and fulfilment. What would you contribute to the society from today? Stop making negative analyses, excuses, and ungodly stories. Just do it, "for God loves a cheerful giver" and He will surely reward you. II Corinthians 9:7.

References: John 3:16; I John 3:16; Galatians 2:10; Acts 20:35; Genesis 8:22; Proverbs 11:24,25; Luke 10:29-37.

Action: I must be of good service to someone everyday

Prayer point: Lord give me the heart to reach out to the world in love in Jesus name!

©obinna ajie

(1) (Reply)

Register For Free To Hear The Message Titled, "Breaking Barriers" / Register For Free To Hear Deliverance Messages Titled, "Household Enemies" / Supermarket Checkout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.