Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,459 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? (29617 Views)

101 Robert Kiyosaki Quotes That WILL Inspire You / 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' Author Files For Bankruptcy / ''robert Kiyosaki'' And The Road To 'forbes',how Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by cutebabe: 1:04pm On Aug 01, 2007
You mean the Rich dad does not even exist  shocked shocked shocked.

Oh boy I am going to claim my money back angry

poske:

In other not to fall into that shoe read the book and pray. I rest my case,

Can you imagine that you are suggesting that the way not to fall into the rat race is to read Kiyosaki's book and then pray that one na B******t, some folks are following the guy as if say na religion. $500 dollar seminar my foot when your friend, pastor, brother, mother, father aunty or uncle is preaching the very same thing your mind is switched off (a prophet has no honour in his own home)

I bet you that just by reading the advices on nairaland business section you will do much better with all the so many business ideas with the ways and hows to do it. Tips on stock market investment, banks to use e.t.c.

When you talk of business management there are so many books out there and so many people you can go and learn from, try being a protegee to someone successful. My uncle is very successfully and all he ever read was his former Managing Director's life learning from his success and mistakes now he is a force to be reckoned with.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Rhemi(f): 2:06pm On Aug 01, 2007
Story!!!
I have learnt a lot from wat Robert has written and i have read rich dad twice and still pal 2 read it again.
i believe its all for popularity sake.
Na him no! angry
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Iwerebor(m): 2:25pm On Aug 01, 2007
Rich dad is definitely a mythic creation of Robert Kiyosaki. The sharp contrast in personality he had with Poor dad simply doesn't exist in real life.
I am currently reading Rich Dad poor dad and I found alot of exaggeration in the intelligent conversation nine year old Kiyosaki was having with Rich Dad.
The credibility of a writer matters even though his work is ingenious. Read Jeffery Archer's Cane and Abel. His two characters became very wealthy and powerful in the story because they knew what they wanted out of life and focused on it. Jeffery Archer in that book identifies [b]traits [/b]necessary for entering that realm but he doesn't tell you how to, that's for your imagination and intelligence to figure out.
Jeffry Archer was gracious enough to categorize the book as Fiction and it is a best selling book. So yes, the ability of an author to admit where reality stops and where imagination is filling up is very important. I care.

PS:
And I might add that Kiyosaki was honest about one thing,i.e, that he is a best selling author but not a bestselling writer. His writing style is so amateurish. Yet it has an appeal because of that same simplicity!
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by RichDad1(m): 2:31pm On Aug 01, 2007
poske:

Hey Guys,
From what i have seen there are some people who just enjoy arguments. And i will not devote my time to them thankyou. Please can we overlook if the story is real or fake. See if i give you my own story even folks that were hanging out with me in the early days will not believe me. Its just my story and not yours @dolly, Mr Reed e.t.c

Okay i have listened to the tape, and having leaved in and outside Nigeria, i can assure you that the concept of what is called the rat race is a real disease. As of today the only person that has clearly put the cure into a book is Robert.K in the contest of his rich dad , it was someone who did not have to work but employed people. And so grew his business, he did not have to be a millionaire in his life time but left something his kids could turn into millions.

Anyway let me shed more light, on the situation of the "ratrace" and Nigeria, as companies keep on growing (as we can see in the NSE) they will eventually need more workers, these are the people who will or their kids will eventually be caursed by the ratrace syndrome. In other not to fall into that shoe read the book and pray. I rest my case,
@Poske,
   You took the words from my mouth cheesy
 @ all,
  i want to tell you that Mr reed is trying to get attention.As far as i am concerned Robert Kiyosaki is a very good motivator and author of a great repute.I have learn't a lot from him, I will be 26 this weekend and i can proudly tells you that i am more financially free and money is working for me unlike my parents who have to work for money all their lifes.As a matter of fact i might not have much to say on whether Rich dad was real or not but i can tell you Rich dad book series as really made me a great achiever at this age.As for me the book is for anyone that really wants to be free from the "Rat Race".regarding wheather it's real or not,
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 01, 2007
A lot can be learnt from the book but the stories are fiction and most of his claims are exaggerations.
People who know him and his childhood claimed that there was no "rich dad" living by him.
His readers and seminar attendees made him his millions,not his claimed real estate flipping all that big talk.
The man is a typical American.
He knows how to make money.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by beetintin(m): 3:54pm On Aug 01, 2007
When I read the book about 5 years ago, I was doubting if there is any Rich dad anywhere. But
who cares whether the Rich dad is a figment of Bob's imagination or not? I learnt a lot of life lessons
in that book that helped me chart a course for my life.

As advised by Bob, I am minding my business and my business is taking care of me now. I no longer
belong to the members of the rat race. I don't have to wake up 5am to run after a boss that doesn't
care about me and come back late at night. I run my own show. All thanks to the golden advice by RTK wink

Please MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! wink
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by JSBEY: 4:44pm On Aug 01, 2007
Hi landers!

Do you all remember JERRY SPRINGER

I really don't know what to say but I really want to believe the guy Kiyosaki isn't real. I have always thought of it though really want to speak out .Well thanks to people that have really researched well on him.

The book sounds good to be true, though some of the principles are normal way of making money and most of it are not realistic and will not work for 89% of readers

I used to have roomate in Uni,the guy can die because of the Kiyosaki but unfortunatelty he did business and claims to abe applying Kiyosaki,he failed!!!!!

Do you all remember JERRY SPRINGER who could have thought he was fake.

definitely Americans are better 419ners than Nigerians . It is a very good marketing move by the publisher
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by blackchief(m): 5:06pm On Aug 01, 2007
i have read three different books by Mr Robert and find it okay and applicable. and Mr reed as a person has a right to say what he like its a free world.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by cutebabe: 5:13pm On Aug 01, 2007
babyosisi:

His readers and seminar attendees made him his millions,not his claimed real estate flipping all that big talk.
The man is a typical American.
He knows how to make money.

THIS NA DE KOKO
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by princejay: 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2007
I wouldn't want to get into the argument about whether Rich Dad is real or not. In my opinion, if Rich Dad is real, it still does not make the principles RK is teaching valid. And if Rich Dad is not real, it would not make the RK's points invalid,

You may also want to consider the following points:

[list]
[li]RK's best one-liner, in my opinion, is that "An asset is something that puts money in your pocket, and a liablity is something that takes money out." I believe this statement really packs a punch, unlike many of his other meaningless statements.
[/li]
[li]Many of the ideas that RK shares would not work in Nigeria. For example, he talks a lot about people who sell real estate to him on the cheap because they cannot afford the taxes on the real estate. Or real estate in this country is not taxed, at least not to a degree that the owner would be absolutely unable to pay.
[/li]
[li]He talks a lot about banks being unwilling to give you a loan to buy stocks. Nigerian banks actually love customers who wish to borrow money to buy stocks![/li]
[/list]

A lot of what people call "investing" in Nigeria today is actually speculation. We need to pay attention to what RK says about real estate, but we need ideas that would work in our own economy.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by easimoni(m): 6:19pm On Aug 01, 2007
princejay:

I wouldn't want to get into the argument about whether Rich Dad is real or not.

then you are in the wrong thread. See the title? It's not about the validity of his teachings (I agree they are mostly valid when applicable), it's about the lies he told to grab our attention.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 01, 2007
his principles dont work in nigeria
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Nobody: 12:01am On Aug 02, 2007
like anything works in Nigeria grin
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by bilesanmi(m): 3:28am On Aug 02, 2007
hello pls i dont know how to post a topic on nairaland, does anybody know how i can subscribe to BOTTOM LINE magazine its a monthly business magazine.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by ike4real: 9:37am On Aug 02, 2007
hello people,plzzz my own problem is that i need a clue as to where or how to buy,Robert Kiyosaki game,that is the CASH FLOW 101, for adults.plzzz i urgently need this game,i reside in the eastern part of the country,my no is 08057398593.tankx.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by free2ryhme: 1:37pm On Aug 02, 2007
guyz wetin una det talk sef jooooooooo. i believe kaecy5 his f**k*** principles doesnot work here abnd thats final except you are am fraudster and a corrupt govt official tongue
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Veracious(f): 2:12pm On Aug 02, 2007
Sometime in 2005 i worked for a consultant who happens to be a big time fan of Robert Kiyosaki (he has made alot of money just reading his books and applying it in the consulting world of stockbrooking and other packages). he even won a million naira worth of money (airtime though) to freely enable him watch any of his seminars online,when Roberts is having a seminar anywhere in the world,as if that was'nt enough they also sent him some of his CD's.

I have personnaly gained alot of wisdom by not working for money but money working for me. is all about what you want to acheive from his theories and not whether he is real or not.

If he is fake,it does'nt matter to me. at least his writeups makes alot of sence to me since am not in the rat race. wink
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by easimoni(m): 2:32pm On Aug 02, 2007
babyosisi:

like anything works in Nigeria grin

True talk!
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by ayanjide(m): 3:46pm On Aug 02, 2007
first time somebody ll cast aspersion on my financial idol. Well, no grudge! all i know s DAT f u r Doin something that people cant criticize, u r not making any impact. Am sure RKs books must av made certain impact on Reeds that could have elicited such articles on on RKs view

@mentorman tnx 4 Ur view and am so glad u r currently running an investment club. Are there still vacancies 4 me i want to join. pls send me the details

@poske The rat race is as real as it is an unfortunate race working like an elephant and eating like an ANT

@segedoon tnx 4 giving me an opportunity to read RKs reply to REEDs views. i ll read it as soon as it is available cos av opened d site but not available yet.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by mishoo(m): 4:10pm On Aug 02, 2007
Veracious:

Sometime in 2005 i worked for a consultant who happens to be a big time fan of Robert Kiyosaki (he has made alot of money just reading his books and applying it in the consulting world of stockbrooking and other packages). he even won a million naira worth of money (airtime though) to freely enable him watch any of his seminars online,when Roberts is having a seminar anywhere in the world,as if that was'nt enough they also sent him some of his CD's.

I have personnaly gained alot of wisdom by not working for money but money working for me. is all about what you want to acheive from his theories and not whether he is real or not.

If he is fake,it does'nt matter to me. at least his writeups makes alot of sence to me since am not in the rat race. wink

WORD !!!!
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Veracious(f): 4:21pm On Aug 02, 2007
@ mishoo

yes oh my brother. WORD!!! are you one of his fans also?
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by mimiko(f): 5:05pm On Aug 02, 2007
Robert kiyosaki in his book warns that his recomendations might not be viable in every situation or to every body but the fact still remains that he was gushing out advice on how to make money, how to invest5 even when u dont have much simply how to let money work for you, that man has got alot of business strategies, in rich dad poor dad he talked about his friend on the title of his Economic book whom made it sound like any other Economic book so he advised him to cahnge the title to WHY YOU DONT NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL (i guess! something like that) then the book sold out in awesome numbers we all know even if this story was not real, the fact still remains that thye title is catchy its a good bus strategy there loads of ECO books everwhere but people will want to pick and know y you dont have to go to school which consist the basics of Economics. Robert Kiyosaki has made me a dreamer and some of my dreams re becoming real now, money is a very strong issue the best way is to make it work for u or else u will work for it for the rest of your life!
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by hola2ng(m): 5:25pm On Aug 02, 2007
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Aporo: 7:48pm On Aug 02, 2007
My people, lets wake up, move on and not over flog the subject!!

The guys has made good money cashing in on the most pervasive human need "how to make it in business and even in life".

It's a free world and a capitalist one at that!! Go out there and do your thing even write another one , Say "Rich mum, poor mum, lol!! You get my drift!

The fact is nobody is compelled to buy the books or attend the $500 conferences.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by debosky(m): 9:20pm On Aug 02, 2007
we are not over flogging it, and you miss the point of discourse:

If he is misrepresenting (i.e LYING) by claiming the story is non-fiction (i.e. a TRUE OCCURRENCE) then he is a liar and a thief and deserves to be exposed as such for deceiving people, the publishers should be sued as well for misinforming readers and not doing their research before publishing.

his ideas, sorry the ideas he mentions in the book (they are not even his) are nothing new, and he over-pads the stories to draw gullible ones in. that is deceitful and dishonest.

I have no problem with him if it was a fictional work, but claiming lies and saying they are true is not right.
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by easimoni(m): 10:11pm On Aug 02, 2007
@ Debosky, you are the first Arsenal fan I've met to talk correct. RTK is probably a liar, but he wrote a (sometimes) useful book.

@ Mimiko, I'm glad he made u to dream. He made me to dream too, but he is prob still a liar. The physiques I see on WWE encouraged me to put on ~10kg of muscle. Doesn't make pro-wrestling real. cheesy
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Aporo: 9:32am On Aug 03, 2007
@Debosky

Since you have held yourself out as the expert on this subject, have you ever considered view of a number of Kiyosaki's fans that the rich dad he was writing and talking about was actually his friend's dad and not his? That his dad was the poor dad.

Trust me, there are a number of possibilities here. How if the father he was referring to was a mentor and not his biological father? Its a possibility my friend!!

Go write your own book and quit this subject if you have this much interest!!
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by Anio(f): 9:33am On Aug 03, 2007
Like everything in life - I have learnt not to throw the baby out with the bath water!

I initially had some problems with his potrayal of 'poor dad'. Initially, he made it look like it was a crime to be an employee and we all know that not everyone can be an employer - it's unrealistic. There are many 'poor dads' in Nigeria that don't end up the way his own did. They work hard for their money in paid employment and then diversify into other investments.  Maybe Americans are so happy and content with their work that they don't need an additional source of income but in Naija most parents i know that have a reasonable job - ALWAYS have their fingers in more than i pie.

However, I do appreciate the education of it all which is basically: to use your inflow to make more money for yourself from which you take care of your expenses. Inflow must always be much larger than outflow. Use your imagination to grow your inflow.

I have been applying these principles for several years after reading this book and i'm the better for it.

Rich Dad Poor Dad - Truth or Fiction? Definately fiction but very educative, enlightening and progressive

I think he made up for the stories in his other books by concentrating more on the principles than the blah blah

P.S. My dad would certainly disown me if i were to write about him the way RK wrote about his!
P.S.S. So would my Mum grin
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by beetintin(m): 11:35am On Aug 03, 2007
@all,

It is possible there is no rich dad, but there is a Poor Dad. RK might have come up with
those words to portray a message in a way people will be able to understand. The
book made so much meaning to me than any. wink

I am not sure why we are even debating so much on this anyway. The Reed's comments
were made in 2003 or so and I even think i heard the man has apologised to RK a long
time ago. So no need overflogging this issue jare. Maybe we all have to follow RK's
advice:

[size=16pt][center]MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS![/center][/size]

grin grin grin grin
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by sparkandy(m): 12:28pm On Aug 03, 2007
@ akinalabi. Man I feel you. John T. Reed just behaved like someone who's being a casualty of competition. How can u point out the wrongs in someone else's book based on the characters used? I noticed he didn't talk about his (Kiyosaki’s ) money making principles and am really surprised that he had no porblem with that at all. So, what is he making noise for?

I still know and believe that Kiyosaki’s pricinples if diligently followed in any fuctional and stable economy, I don't mean Nigeria's volitile economy because for that u have to do extra work, you'll have the riches of your dream. 

And just to say, in other to be a good author, u must be able to garner and organize knowlegde, so I think he's covered even if he's not a real estate guru. The fact that he has done his research well, makes him a great author who pays attention to details. smiley
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by beetintin(m): 12:53pm On Aug 03, 2007
Me think principles work everywhere, whether in the US or in Nigeria or even in Fiji.

It may just take time in other places but it surely works. wink
Re: Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? by easimoni(m): 6:17pm On Aug 03, 2007
Aporo:

@Debosky

Since you have held yourself out as the expert on this subject, have you ever considered view of a number of Kiyosaki's fans that the rich dad he was writing and talking about was actually his friend's dad and not his? That his dad was the poor dad.

Trust me, there are a number of possibilities here. How if the father he was referring to was a mentor and not his biological father? Its a possibility my friend!!

Go write your own book and quit this subject if you have this much interest!!

Debosky, allow me to answer for you. He did say in the book that his biological dad was the poor dad and his friend's dad (i forget the friend's name) was the rich dad. The rich dad[b] was a mentor [/b] and not a real dad. The issue here (and you missed it) is that no one has been able to pinpoint the "rich dad" not even RTK himself when asked. This would make the book a work of fiction and not a memoir like RTK claims. Maybe it makes no difference to you, but integrity is very important to me.

Have you read the book? I doubt it. And we post because we have an interest not the other way round.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

House Of Reps Orders Immediate Arrest Of Binance CEO / Akwa Ibom Manufactures Toothpicks (Photos) / 3 Banks Get June 2016 Recapitalisation Deadline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.