Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,668 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes (30690 Views)

Imo Chairman Of Labour Party Bar. Callistus Ihejiagwa Lost At His Polling Booth / Photos Of Politicians And Celebrities At The Polling Booth #NigeriaElection2019 / Ekiti Election: Fayose Arrives Polling Booth, Casts His Vote (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by duwdu: 8:55am On Feb 24, 2019
Man who spent days at polling booth finally votes

By Lami Sadiq, Jos | Published Date Feb 24, 2019 4:03 AM

Abubakar Shettima stands by his polling unit in Dogon Agogo, Jos North Local Government area shortly after casting his vote

Yesterday, Abubakar Shettima actualised his plan to vote for his preferred presidential candidate at his polling unit located at Dogon Agogo in Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Though Shettima was not the first on the queue, the 59-year- old was all smiles as he exchanged pleasantries with other voters before he walked back home to Duala, in Dogon Dutse Jos.

Shettima had surprised many when he relocated and camped at his polling unit on Wednesday, 13th February, in order to be the first person to cast his vote for President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

He had spent three days and was gearing up to vote on Saturday morning when he learnt that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had postponed the February 16 presidential and national assembly election to February 23rd. He said he had been disappointed but was not rattled and had assured that, “I’m still on the queue, whenever INEC is ready for us we shall be ready. As humans, ours is to plan but only Allah determines when the plan can be executed,” he said.

Before his relocation, Shettima had sent his wife to Borno State and despite the postponement, he pressed on her to remain in Borno until she voted.

With a sleeping mat, a praying mat and blanket, Shettima took two pieces of clothing, his holy Qura’an and his PVC and head for Dogon Agogo. He had intended to camp under an old wide tree just beside a house where INEC had pasted the registration details of voters including that of Shettima, but the owner of the house offered him a room by an open mosque where Shettima joined many residents in congregational prayers.

The Borno-born father of nine’s reasons for relocating to his polling unit was not quickly understood even among his children. Fatima, one of Shettima’s daughters told our correspondent that she had laughed and teased him on the Wednesday he made his announcement to relocate.

“He asked me to boil bathing water for him and I did but a few minutes later he went ahead to turn it into a bucket grumbling that I was wasting his time. It was very funny, he picked his mats, blanket and Qur’an to leave and when I saw him, I fell to the ground laughing but he ignored us and left,” she said.

But when Shettima narrated to journalists why he was doing what he did most people including his daughter became proud of him, Daily Trust on Sunday gathered.

Within the three days he had camped at his polling unit, Shettima did not take a bath and told Daily Trust on Sunday that he would gladly go weeks without a bath.

“When I was unjustly incarcerated, we went for weeks without a bath, so what is three days?” he asked.

He was usually found seated on the elevated platform of the house where the names and pictures of eligible voters were pasted, reading his Quran. But after the elections were postponed, Shettima returned home in Duala, only to go back to his polling unit yesterday a few minutes after 8am.

At the time of his return, voting had commenced and despite putting his name as the first man on the queue, Umar Yusuf who owned the house where the list of voters were pasted said they could not wait for him to arrive so voting commenced without him.

Shettima had earlier assured that he would return to his polling unit on February 17th and camp there until Saturday, but days after visiting and meeting his absence in Dogon Agogo, our correspondent traced his home in Duala but met only Fatima who said her father had gone to work.

She confessed that on the first day he announced his relocation to the family, she had assisted him in putting his things together but it didn’t stop her from laughing and teasing him.

“I even fell to the floor laughing when he said he was going to spend three days at his polling unit. I passed his belongings to him and I laughed hard, but now I believe what he did was noble; he was sacrificing his comfort for a man whose actions as President led to his release. We all owe the president that sacrifice,” she said.

Fatima narrated that the family had been in despair when her father was taken away for about eight months without knowledge of his whereabouts or what offence he had committed.

“It was a trying time for us but even when he was later released, he never told me what the President did to save their lives until he spoke with journalists and I read it,” she said.

She also told our correspondent that her father had planned on staying at the polling unit till election day but was advised against it because many people started alleging that his actions were aimed at getting attention and financial benefits from government officials.

While corroborating his daughter’s story, Shettima said; “many people started saying that various government officials had given me money and that food stuff had been taken to my house. The rumour spread, so my brother who lives in Taraba State called and advised me to return home for fear that people may harm me,”

He recalled that he was unjustly arrested at the Bauchi motor park in Jos in 2015 and was moved to Borno State, where he described how hundreds of them were crammed in a cell for months. It was not until President Buhari came to power and demanded that the conditions of the cells be reviewed that Shettima said they were separated into 200 persons per cell and investigation into their arrest was carried out.

“When they found out that we were innocent, they released us with an apology. Before we were asked to go, the governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, invited us and apologized on behalf of the government. We were each given N10, 000 and a brocade to return home. They told us that it was routine to make such arrests but that after investigations, those found to be innocent would eventually be released.” It was that single experience that moved Shettima to spend three days at his polling unit.

He added, “I have done my part; I prayed about it before deciding to come out here and camp, I also prayed about today’s voting and I believe Allah will answer my prayers. Now, it is time for me to go back home and wait for the results,” he said before walking back home.

Source: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/man-who-spent-days-at-polling-booth-finally-votes.html

P34c3

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by FiftyFifty(m): 9:12am On Feb 24, 2019
See the unadulterated love for Baba which an established thief will never get in his life time. Children of hate, how market? I know u are as confused as headless chicken trying to understand whether all this is for real or not. U na never see anything!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by iCauseTrouble: 9:36am On Feb 24, 2019
APC Guber Candidate came to my village for campaign. He asked the villagers to mention 2major problems in the village

They told him that one of their problems is lack of qualified medical doctors.

The politician brought out his phone and pretended to be making call. He later told them "your problem is solved" What's the other problem?

They said they don't have network in the village ���

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by bivanJohnaliuz(m): 9:36am On Feb 24, 2019
And he voted APC .......... Just ImaqinE. .....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by superior1: 9:36am On Feb 24, 2019
Unnecessary.
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by rabonni(m): 9:36am On Feb 24, 2019
Fools everywhere, that is the reason they want them to remain poor, so that they can keep fooling their selves

12 Likes

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by koolgee(m): 9:37am On Feb 24, 2019
Finally...
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by dlondonbadboy: 9:38am On Feb 24, 2019
I hope he didn't waste his vote..

This is what ignorance can cause. If this man was gainfully employed, would he spend days in a polling unit? Wetin children wan chop? But because most of his children are the illiterate beggars you see on the streets, he can afford to spend weeks on a polling unit wasting his life and his time...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 24, 2019
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by doggedfighter(f): 9:40am On Feb 24, 2019
He tried
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by tstx(m): 9:40am On Feb 24, 2019
Buhari loyalists

See my signature
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by HappyPagan: 9:40am On Feb 24, 2019
Touching story... This country harsh sha.

1 Like

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by daftpikin: 9:40am On Feb 24, 2019
FiftyFifty:
See the unadulterated love for Baba which an established thief will never get in his life time. Children of hate, how market? I know u are as confused as headless chicken trying to understand whether all this is for real or not. U na never see anything!

I’ll rather vote a thief than vote a murderer

15 Likes

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by nairalee(m): 9:42am On Feb 24, 2019
1 Word

JOBLESSNESS

3 Likes

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:42am On Feb 24, 2019
That's good of him.
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:44am On Feb 24, 2019
Good one.

SAI BABA ALL THE WAY

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by CaptainMitch: 9:59am On Feb 24, 2019
Useless poverty stricken illiterate, why birth 9 children that you definitely will not care for, which productive person goes to camp in a polling station. Lefulefu see what I was telling about illiterates and rascals supporting APC this one will donate at least 6 of his children to Boko haram as he won't be able to feed them. Back to Daura is a goal

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by osuofia2(m): 10:09am On Feb 24, 2019
Fct votes is a shut down for Atiku... Pmb ntoor, na illiterate de vote bubu

5 Likes

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by Mrtoks: 10:15am On Feb 24, 2019
iCauseTrouble:
APC Guber Candidate came to my village for campaign. He asked the villagers to mention 2major problems in the village

The politician brought out his phone and pretended to be making call. He later told them "your problem is solved" What's the other problem?

you are repeating d same words in every thread

1 Like

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by Amuluonyenaego: 10:16am On Feb 24, 2019
ATIKUOBI ALL THE WAY

5 Likes

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by olayinka63: 10:20am On Feb 24, 2019
That is a kind gesture to pay back your loved ones. Those condemning doesn't see that he was only trying to repay kindness something that is emotional and even hard to drop in the presence of bad economy.
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by King19957(m): 10:23am On Feb 24, 2019
iCauseTrouble:

una village sabi wyniny person be dat oooh, dem fit d do well for yahoo biz
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by Godons1: 10:30am On Feb 24, 2019
He waited for days to vote Buhari out.

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by Pope22(m): 10:53am On Feb 24, 2019
iCauseTrouble:

Bro, e don do na, this things is now every where and its no longer funny again

1 Like

Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by ProfEinstein: 11:00am On Feb 24, 2019
Jobless Zombie
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by maasoap(m): 11:38am On Feb 24, 2019
dlondonbadboy:
I hope he didn't waste his vote..

This is what ignorance can cause. If this man was gainfully employed, would he spend days in a polling unit? Wetin children wan chop? But because most of his children are the illiterate beggars you see on the streets, he can afford to spend weeks on a polling unit wasting his life and his time...

Shettima had earlier assured that he would return to his polling unit on February 17th and camp there until Saturday, but days after visiting and meeting his absence in Dogon Agogo, our correspondent traced his home in Duala but met only Fatima who said her father had gone to work.

Why are you people like this? Can't someone do something differently without you people resorting to mentioning joblessness, poverty, ignorance, illiteracy, and so on? I guess you're the one feeding his children.
If na Oyinbo did that, you would be showing your 32 and praising him.
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by maasoap(m): 11:43am On Feb 24, 2019
CaptainMitch:
Useless poverty stricken illiterate, why birth 9 children that you definitely will not care for, which productive person goes to camp in a polling station. Lefulefu see what I was telling about illiterates and rascals supporting APC this one will donate at least 6 of his children to Boko haram as he won't be able to feed them. Back to Daura is a goal

If we begin to count the number of children your father gave birth to, we will count 20. What is his job?
Re: Man Who Spent Days At Polling Booth Finally Votes by CaptainMitch: 11:45am On Feb 24, 2019
My family members are 6 in number and my house is 8 bedroom, he is a retired civil servant and a community leader, how about you? What does your father do??

maasoap:

If we begin to count the number of children your father gave birth to, we will count 20. What is his job?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tonye Princewill Quits APC Over Muslim-Muslim Ticket / ‘I Pity President Buhari’ – El- Rufai / Why Millions Of Nigerians Experience Hardship And Sickness —buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.