Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,152 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Plans For My Cucumber Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Plans For My Cucumber Farm (2686 Views)

My Profitable Cucumber Farm . / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 8:32pm On Feb 24, 2019
Hello Farmers.
I am a serving youth Corp member in Lagos and I’ll be passing out by November this year. I have always loved agriculture because I don’t want to work for anyone and all my life I have been independent.
I am here to seek best Advice on plans for my CUCUMBER farm.
I already have 2 plot of Land somewhere in Ijebu.

But the question is I have dis 80k I want to use and start my farm. Below is the estimate I have after discussing with a friend. But I’m here to seek more advice...

Whatsapp:- 070623426

PLS LET NO ONE DISCOURAGE ME,

THANKS AS YOU INPUT YOUR MATURED ADVICE

Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by funsoul: 9:12pm On Feb 24, 2019
Do u intend to plant in sacks?
Do you intend to use d whole 2 plots?
What exactly do you mean by bags?
Be specific about your plans 4 irrigation
If you intend to use 2 cans u will need more than that cost of fertilizer (bag of npk would be around 6.5k at least except u can get it cheaper)
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 9:15pm On Feb 24, 2019
Jamesrock:
Hello Farmers.
I am a serving youth Corp member in Lagos and I’ll be passing out by November this year. I have always loved agriculture because I don’t want to work for anyone and all my life I have been independent.
I am here to seek best Advice on plans for my CUCUMBER farm.
I already have 2 plot of Land somewhere in Ijebu.

But the question is I have dis 80k I want to use and start my farm. Below is the estimate I have after discussing with a friend. But I’m here to seek more advice...

Whatsapp:- 07062342648

PLS LET NO ONE DISCOURAGE ME,

THANKS AS YOU INPUT YOUR MATURED ADVICE
I will get you a more realistic estimate of what it will cost you to plant that 2 plots with cucumbers,but it will be tomorrow evening.

1 Like

Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 9:19pm On Feb 24, 2019
Pls get the idea of sack farming on 2 plots out of your mind,sack is for small farm/garden,2 plots of well managed cucumbers is a big project
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by kingharzy: 10:14pm On Feb 24, 2019
okoroemeka:
I will get you a more realistic estimate of what it will cost you to plant that 2 plots with cucumbers,but it will be tomorrow evening.
undecided
Patiently waiting boss
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 10:46am On Feb 26, 2019
okoroemeka:
Okay sir...
I am still expecting the estimate sir... Thank you
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 10:50am On Feb 26, 2019
funsoul:
Do u intend to plant in sacks?
Do you intend to use d whole 2 plots?
What exactly do you mean by bags?
Be specific about your plans 4 irrigation
If you intend to use 2 cans u will need more than that cost of fertilizer (bag of npk would be around 6.5k at least except u can get it cheaper)
Yes. I intend using a whole 2 plots if my capital can cover it.

What I mean by bags is sack, I want to do sack farming so as to help manage water... Since I don’t have much for irrigation yet.

I’m yet to conclude on my plans for irrigation, but what’s ur advise based on the little capital I have.

Your advice on fertilizer has been duly noted,

Pls let’s chat on what’s so that I can know more about it- 07062342648
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 10:51am On Feb 26, 2019
okoroemeka:
Pls get the idea of sack farming on 2 plots out of your mind,sack is for small farm/garden,2 plots of well managed cucumbers is a big project

So what do you suggest sir
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by funsoul: 6:49pm On Feb 26, 2019
Jamesrock:

What I mean by bags is sack, I want to do sack farming so as to help manage water... Since I don’t have much for irrigation yet.

I’m yet to conclude on my plans for irrigation, but what’s ur advise based on the little capital I have.

I agree with oga okoroemeka about using sacks on 2 plots. Since this is ur first time planting cucumber i would advice u start with a smaller no of sacks especially since u will water manually.
My first commercial foray into cucumber farming (did a pilot of 60 sacks at first) with 200 sacks (400 plants) was hectic having to water with bucket n bowl 2ce daily.
Starting small would also allow u 2 learn without burning ur fingers too much. From 200 sacks I was able to get 24 bags
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 7:05pm On Feb 26, 2019
Jamesrock:

sack will not help you manage water,u my expect a sack to be more water efficient because the water cannot go out,it's wronng, sack uses far more water than planting on soil and if you plant 2 crops in a sack u will water twice daily,sack is not water efficient,I have planted on 500 sacks for 2 years and I know that as a fact.
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 7:13pm On Feb 26, 2019
Let's analyse your project cost.(1)₦7,000 for clearing is feasible on 2 plots, women labourers collect ₦1,200 day work our side now and 5 women will through clear 2 plots.(2)forget sack,you will use hole,@2000 holes in 2 plots × ₦5 for digging on hole=₦10,000.(3)30 bagco bags of pig / chicken manure will cover 2 plots,₦100 for 1 bag of pig manure =₦3,000+₦3,000 transportation.
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by funsoul: 7:27pm On Feb 26, 2019
okoroemeka:
sack will not help you manage water,u my expect a sack to be more water efficient because the water cannot go out,it's wronng, sack uses far more water than planting on soil and if you plant 2 crops in a sack u will water twice daily,sack is not water efficient,I have planted on 500 sacks for 2 years and I know that as a fact.
Oga I beg 2 disagree. For rainy season yes it is impractical but for this dry season if u don't have plans for mechanical irrigation sack is d way 2 go.
Imagine going round with bucket n bowl watering each plant as against sacks.
But even if he has just pumping machine with hose to use I would advise he uses soil
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 7:28pm On Feb 26, 2019
Season 2-(1)2000 hole ×2 seed per hole=4,000 seeds,if you are planting 999 it will be 120 grams=₦18,000,if it's murano 2f1 it will be around ₦28,000.(2) staking will gobble 2 sacks of nylon @₦3,500 per sack and 100 pieces of xtralong bamboo @₦40-₦50 naira for 1.(3)@1 spoon per hole 5 painters of NPK is needed for 1st application₦600@painter ×5=₦2,900 for NPK 201010.(4)the 2nd application will be NPK 201010 +urea at 15-20 days,3rd application will be NPK 151515 @28 days.
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 7:37pm On Feb 26, 2019
Season 3,(1) saaf fungicide 2 packets-₦2,000,Haifa bonus 3 packs-₦5,500.insecticide 1 magic force-₦3,500 and 1 imiforce 250 ml @₦1.800.this will do for 2 plots if you know what you are doing.(2) irrigation is the only area I will leave to your fate ,its u that will decide the system to use to water the crops
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 7:45pm On Feb 26, 2019
funsoul:

Oga I beg 2 disagree. For rainy season yes it is impractical but for this dry season if u don't have plans for mechanical irrigation sack is d way 2 go.
Imagine going round with bucket n bowl watering each plant as against sacks.
But even if he has just pumping machine with hose to use I would advise he uses soil
I have said from a professional point of view,this is what I do for a living,I am a farmer and pls if u don't have a good irrigation plan forget cucumbers,bucket and bowl is for a few hundred crops.
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 7:54pm On Feb 26, 2019
Sacks are not water efficient,if u plant two crops in a sack and don't water twice, morning and evening the fruits will be bitter and the crops will not last long, because they will be wilted in the hot afternoons till evening.from my own point of view on sacks after planting on 500 sacks for 6 times in 2 years ,sacks are over hyped,the one strong advantage it had over soil is non leaching of nutrients,but soil will be replenish by nutrients coming in through water diffusion while the sack will receive no other materials when it exhaust the sack nutrients.i don't see any other advantage that sack has that worth the stress of hauling and bagging soil .
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by funsoul: 6:17am On Feb 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
I have said from a professional point of view,this is what I do for a living,I am a farmer and pls if u don't have a good irrigation plan forget cucumbers,bucket and bowl is for a few hundred crops.
Well am certainly not a professional, maybe a mini farmer compare 2 your exalted status but it doesn't mean I can't have contrary opinion 2 yours.
Am not advising d op 2 use bucket n bowl it is extremely stressful. Intact from studies drip is d best so if he can afford it he should go on but if it's just bucket n bowl u have as a starter don't be discouraged
And I still believe sacks preserve water better than soil this season. Either soil or sack I water twice daily
NB: if u r suggesting he digs a ditch 2 plant pls take into consideration rainy season setting in soon
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 2:46pm On Feb 27, 2019
funsoul:

Well am certainly not a professional, maybe a mini farmer compare 2 your exalted status but it doesn't mean I can't have contrary opinion 2 yours.
Am not advising d op 2 use bucket n bowl it is extremely stressful. Intact from studies drip is d best so if he can afford it he should go on but if it's just bucket n bowl u have as a starter don't be discouraged
And I still believe sacks preserve water better than soil this season. Either soil or sack I water twice daily
NB: if u r suggesting he digs a ditch 2 plant pls take into consideration rainy season setting in soon
yes you actually have a point in the hole system aspect because it rained heavily yesterday and the rain s are definitely coming back,he should plan for ridges to help in drainage,he can use bucket /bowl if the water source is near and the op is determined,I can't forget the year I used bucket to water almost 1500 cucumbers to maturity, poverty is not good but it gives u superhuman strength.

1 Like

Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by SeanMO: 3:07pm On Feb 27, 2019
Hello @okoroemeka, please are you in lagos? Am new to cucumber farming and I will like to starting sowing starting end of next month. I will appreciate if you can drop your phone so that I can contact you. I will like you to mentor me during this journey if u don't mind.
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by funsoul: 4:37pm On Feb 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
yes you actually have a point in the hole system aspect because it rained heavily yesterday and the rain s are definitely coming back,he should plan for ridges to help in drainage,he can use bucket /bowl if the water source is near and the op is determined,I can't forget the year I used bucket to water almost 1500 cucumbers to maturity, poverty is not good but it gives u superhuman strength.

Oga I feel u. If he's determined from bucket n bowl he can move on to hose, to rain gun and even drip (getting drip is my target now). But d bucket n bowl na serious suffer head n doesn't effectively maximize water
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:15pm On Feb 27, 2019
funsoul:

I agree with oga okoroemeka about using sacks on 2 plots. Since this is ur first time planting cucumber i would advice u start with a smaller no of sacks especially since u will water manually.
My first commercial foray into cucumber farming (did a pilot of 60 sacks at first) with 200 sacks (400 plants) was hectic having to water with bucket n bowl 2ce daily.
Starting small would also allow u 2 learn without burning ur fingers too much. From 200 sacks I was able to get 24 bags

Thank you very much for ur advice @funsoul... But can I use like 500 sacks there and I’ll water it with bucket and bowl
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:19pm On Feb 27, 2019
funsoul:

Thank you very much; but what if I use like 500 sacks and I Water it with bucket and bowl
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:22pm On Feb 27, 2019
okoroemeka:

But if I make Beds and plant on them, will that save more water than sack... Cos right now, my only means of iirigation is by bucket and water till I can afford a drip, probably next season
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:28pm On Feb 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
Let's analyse your project cost.(1)₦7,000 for clearing is feasible on 2 plots, women labourers collect ₦1,200 day work our side now and 5 women will through clear 2 plots.(2)forget sack,you will use hole,@2000 holes in 2 plots × ₦5 for digging on hole=₦10,000.(3)30 bagco bags of pig / chicken manure will cover 2 plots,₦100 for 1 bag of pig manure =₦3,000+₦3,000 transportation.

Are you really sure that I don’t need sack cos I need a means that can save water for me pending when the rain starts well... What do you think and out of your wealth of experience... pls be my mentor- 07062342648
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:31pm On Feb 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
Season 2-(1)2000 hole ×2 seed per hole=4,000 seeds,if you are planting 999 it will be 120 grams=₦18,000,if it's murano 2f1 it will be around ₦28,000.(2) staking will gobble 2 sacks of nylon @₦3,500 per sack and 100 pieces of xtralong bamboo @₦40-₦50 naira for 1.(3)@1 spoon per hole 5 painters of NPK is needed for 1st application₦600@painter ×5=₦2,900 for NPK 201010.(4)the 2nd application will be NPK 201010 +urea at 15-20 days,3rd application will be NPK 151515 @28 days.

Thank you
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:40pm On Feb 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
Season 3,(1) saaf fungicide 2 packets-₦2,000,Haifa bonus 3 packs-₦5,500.insecticide 1 magic force-₦3,500 and 1 imiforce 250 ml @₦1.800.this will do for 2 plots if you know what you are doing.(2) irrigation is the only area I will leave to your fate ,its u that will decide the system to use to water the crops
Thanks for ur advice on the pesticide. How do you suggest I should Water
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:43pm On Feb 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
How do u suggest I Water the crops even if it’s a plot for of 500 sacks... I am determined and I’m still thinking of going by hands ie bucket and bowl. Pls Whatsapp me sir: 07062342648
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:48pm On Feb 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
Sacks are not water efficient,if u plant two crops in a sack and don't water twice, morning and evening the fruits will be bitter and the crops will not last long, because they will be wilted in the hot afternoons till evening.from my own point of view on sacks after planting on 500 sacks for 6 times in 2 years ,sacks are over hyped,the one strong advantage it had over soil is non leaching of nutrients,but soil will be replenish by nutrients coming in through water diffusion while the sack will receive no other materials when it exhaust the sack nutrients.i don't see any other advantage that sack has that worth the stress of hauling and bagging soil .

Thank you very much for this advice. What do you think if I start with 500 sacks and I Water it manually. Before I save up for a dripw
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 6:52pm On Feb 27, 2019
@funsoul, pls give me ur number biko,,, or you kindly Whatsapp me on 07062342648
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by okoroemeka(m): 8:51pm On Feb 27, 2019
Jamesrock:

Thank you very much for this advice. What do you think if I start with 500 sacks and I Water it manually. Before I save up for a dripw
hmm,seems you are motivated to see this project through, it's the mindset needed when going fully manual,it's stressful and backbreaking but it's doable,I have some questions,1,what type of water source do u have,2,how far from the farm is it,the answer to this questions will determine how to configure the manual watering to semi-manual and save your back, WhatsApp no 08119942049.
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by Jamesrock(m): 11:53am On Feb 28, 2019
okoroemeka:
hmm,seems you are motivated to see this project through, it's the mindset needed when going fully manual,it's stressful and backbreaking but it's doable,I have some questions,1,what type of water source do u have,2,how far from the farm is it,the answer to this questions will determine how to configure the manual watering to semi-manual and save your back, WhatsApp no 08119942049.

Thank you!! Kindly check ur Whatsapp
Re: Plans For My Cucumber Farm by mankettle(m): 3:41am On Mar 07, 2019
I don't know where in ijebu you are.
but you can always dig a local well on the land and then figure out how you will extract water

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) / My Watermelon Is Rottening / 2019 Cashew Nuts Season!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.