Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,484 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! (810 Views)

For American Invitation Letter And Contact Also An Officer In The Embassy / Us Non-immigrant Visa Documents To The Embassy: Help! / How To Legally Relocate And Start Working In Canada Without Going To The Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by lightheart(m): 2:54pm On Aug 28, 2010
"Would like to know if a person who applies for UKBA Administrative Review can still reapply for a fresh student visa or do I chill for d 28 days I waz asked? I'm havin sleepless nyts ova dis nd skool resumes septemba 20th".

Nlanders, dats a request from my yunga bro. Wuld rily appreciate y'all advises.
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by Vicjustice: 5:17pm On Aug 28, 2010
lightheart:

"Would like to know if a person who applies for UKBA Administrative Review can still reapply for a fresh student visa or do I chill for d 28 days I waz asked? I'm havin sleepless nyts ova dis nd skool resumes septemba 20th".

Write in English
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by lightheart(m): 5:27pm On Aug 28, 2010
@vicjustice, can u highlight d areas not written in english?? Dude, i brought dis issue here to get suggestions&advices. Jst tone down on fault-finding (if diaz any). My younga one is goin bananas on dis already. please?
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by silentc(m): 10:05pm On Aug 28, 2010
lightheart:

If your younger brother cannot write in proper English (rather than text speak), then I doubt he can get a student visa to the UK. It is easy to get carried away with text speak, but when he starts to look for a job and cannot spell properly, he would say the world is against him or better still put it down to tribalism/racism.
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by OmoAlata(f): 10:36pm On Aug 28, 2010
silentc:

If your younger brother cannot write in proper English (rather than text speak), then I doubt he can get a student visa to the UK. It is easy to get carried away with text speak, but when he starts to look for a job and cannot spell properly, he would say the world is against him or better still put it down to tribalism/racism.

That's not entirely true. Most of the white people over here are very very poor in the written English. Thank God for spellchecker grin They can speak it properly (afterall it's their language) but when it comes to writing it shocked A manager I worked with once, gives his report to Africans to check for him before he submits it. God dey grin
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by Vicjustice: 11:34pm On Aug 28, 2010
Dear silentc & Omo Alata
Both of you are absolutely correct in different ways. Like Siletc mentioned, many people are carried away with SMS text partern in such a way that they use it unware in formal letters; and like Omo Alata pointed out, a lot of English speakers are so bad with spellings. . . and the reason for this development is obviously the use of SMS text partern. Before mobile phones became surplus in Nigeria, no one writes English in this manner.
@Lightheart,
Do you see what your English is causing? Now, instead of responding to your enquiry, everyone is busy talking about it.
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by jtx3001: 12:28am On Aug 29, 2010
LIGHTHEART,sori 4 d lack o'seemin help on ur thread,& i cnt claim 2 undastnd wt ur lil bro's goin thru-jst let him kno its wel,k!Nywaz,lets start thus-wt was d reason d BHC gave 4 ur broda bein refused in d 1st?

Also,28 days 4 wt?Administrative Review?Cnt place any who's gone thru dis,bt if i remember properly,dts d time d rejectee must apeal d initial verdict,rite?Lets kno d reason 4 d rejection 1st b4 we treat d issue.
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by WAVixen: 1:47am On Aug 29, 2010
jtx3001:

LIGHTHEART,sori 4 d lack o'seemin help on your thread,& i cnt claim 2 undastnd wt your lil bro's goin thru-jst let him kno its wel,k!Nywaz,lets start thus-wt was d reason d BHC gave 4 your broda bein refused in d 1st?

Also,28 days 4 wt?Administrative Review?Cnt place any who's gone thru dis,bt if i remember properly,dts d time d rejectee must apeal d initial verdict,rite?Lets kno d reason 4 d rejection 1st b4 we treat d issue.

grin YOU SPEAK HIS LANGUAGE.
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by raintree: 4:12am On Aug 29, 2010
^^^ Hahaha, It's getting so funny! grin
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by lightheart(m): 9:11am On Aug 29, 2010
jtx3001:

LIGHTHEART,sori 4 d lack o'seemin help on your thread,& i cnt claim 2 undastnd wt your lil bro's goin thru-jst let him kno its wel,k!Nywaz,lets start thus-wt was d reason d BHC gave 4 your broda bein refused in d 1st?

They claimed I didn't hav sufficient funds for ma maintenance, I'll be schooling outside london borough(Ealing to b precise) and dt requires a balance of £600 monthly for a maximum of 9months accordin to dem, and dt sums up to £5400, addin dis up to the £15 I owe d school givs £5415, I presented ma acct balance of £6511, so I dnt c any reason y dey ask for £7200 which was supposed to b for those schooling inside london borough!!
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by silentc(m): 9:13am On Aug 29, 2010
Omo Alata:

That's not entirely true.  Most of the white people over here are very very poor in the written English.  Thank God for spellchecker  grin  They can speak it properly (afterall it's their language) but when it comes to writing it  shocked  A manager I worked with once, gives his report to Africans to check for him before he submits it.  God dey  grin

Omo Alata, while you make a good point, I do not personally benchmark myself against white British people. If I have learnt and studied the English language, then I should be able to speak, write and articulate in English. If some white people in the UK have poor written English, then too bad for them. I personally have never worked with anyone who cannot spell properly in the English language (white, black, Nigerian, African, British). Nigerians are always very well educated and speak English very well.

If for instance the poster's brother is looking for a job in Nigeria (lets say MTN Nigeria for example) and has to write an essay or give a presentation (with power point slides or something similar) on the future of mobile technology and the African market he might struggle as he is used to "text speak".

Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am judging him unfairly. We all speak pidgin and it doesn't affect our professional written English. The problem is that I have recently seen a lot of CV from junior brothers and sisters of people I know and friends at church (who are looking for a job) and it was riddled with poor spelling and text speak.
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by lightheart(m): 9:32am On Aug 29, 2010
silentc:

and it is RIDDLES with poor spelling and text speak.

Didn't d Bible say somfin abt removin d log in ur eye b4 checkin out d speck in some1 else's? Ma guy, dis forum na informal settin!! In case of nxt time, use RIDDLED!! i mean, wat r friends for??
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by silentc(m): 10:42am On Aug 29, 2010
My brother no vex, maybe I was judging your brother too harshly. I have seen text speak affect others in the professional world and was only trying to advice (even if i was judgemental)

Take it easy  smiley

PS: By the way if you look closely at the a keyboard, the letter "S" and "grin" are close to each other. So riddled was mis-typed as riddles. This is a typing error. Not a spelling error.
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by lightheart(m): 1:43pm On Aug 29, 2010
silentc:

I have seen TEXT SPEAK affect others in the professional world and was only trying to advice (even if i was judgemental).

u mean text SPEECH
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by jtx3001: 4:08pm On Aug 29, 2010
LIGHTHEART,read thru ur msg & askd around - tel ur Bro 2 contact d skool 2 confrm d MAINTENANCE COST 4 its environs,& if it REALY CONFORMS wit d £5400 stated,ask 4 deir input & guidance on such issues, tho d best bet wil b 2 appeal via ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW immediately! Dnt tk ma word as Gospel,but ask around QUIKLY & hope sum1 else wil shed mor lite on dis.
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by OmoAlata(f): 6:56pm On Aug 29, 2010
This thread - O ga!!
Re: The Embassy Erred! I Nid Ur Advise For My Lil Bro! by DisGuy: 11:52pm On Aug 29, 2010
Ealing is a London borough - Ealing is in London!

in case your are re-applying please take note of this and maybe adjust your calculations accordingly

if you are appealing, do the same and state the 'error', if you've been advised by the school regarding maintenance cost attach their letter or email from the school

not sure if you should re-apply or appeal but ask for more advice and state your case properly

(1) (Reply)

South Korea Help / Airline Weight Limit / United States Of America Should Start Considering Adopting Uk's Pbs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.