Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,077 members, 7,957,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:11 AM

The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election (2082 Views)

Azikiwe's Foolishness In Making Enugu Capital Of Old Eastern Nigeria / Don't Run Against Me In 2019 Election, Buhari Begs Nigerian Youths / See What Buhari Is Taking With Him To Daura If He Loses 2019 Election - Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:58pm On Mar 03, 2019
By TonyeBarcanista

I have observed the "tribalisation" of 2019 elections by some people in some part of Nigeria. Surprisingly, Lagos state, the state that is meant to be Center of Excellence, is caught up in this ugly web. Across the country, some ignorant minds interpreted the choice of Atiku Abubakar/Peter Obi and Muhammadu Buhari/Yemi Osinbajo and to an extent, Peoples Democratic Party and All Progressive Congress, to be about a political contest between people of Southern Nigeria/Christians and Northern Nigeria/Muslims respectively. It was even interpreted in some states like Lagos state to be about people of the Southeast/Southsouth versus those of Yoruba nation by these same ignorant troublemakers that are playing the script of some greedy political elites.

I wonder where they get all these ideologies but I want to address them and challenge anyone with superior argument to counter me;

Firstly, 2019 General election was neither a political contest between the North and the South, it cannot be said to be so by any sane mind because the two main contenders, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and President Muhammadu Buhari are both Fulani from Adamawa and Katsina states respectively, both states are of the north. Also, both candidates are Muslims with Christian running mates and therefore, it is irrational to play the religious card.

Secondly, it is a known fact that majority of those from the southeast and Southsouth backed Atiku's candidacy and PDP, but it is fallacious to assume that the reason was because of Obi's choice aas running mate. It is a fact that Southeast and Southsouth geopolitical zones are PDP stronghold and the people there will back ANY candidate of PDP irrespective of who the person may be. It is also a known fact that most Igbos specifically had been promoting Atiku Abubakar several months before he officially defected to PDP and signified interest in the Presidency, not to talk of picking Peter Obi as running mate. I know this because I was initially against Atiku's candidacy as flagbearer of PDP but was promoting the candidacy of Senator Ahmed Makarfi, who eventually lost the primary to Atiku. Some others promoted that of Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo, Alhaji Sule Lamido, Senator Bukola Saraki etcetera. This was long before Obi was even picked as running mate. I make bold to say that Obi's choice as Atiku's running mate DID NOT influence the voting pattern in the Southsouth and Southeast. Let it be also stated that the same zones voted Obasanjo/Atiku of PDP and Yaradua/Jonathan against Dim Ojukwu of APGA in 2003 and 2007 respectively and Orji Kalu of PPN in 2007. The reason is simple, the geopolitical zones are PDP stronghold. Field Atiku/Tinubu under PDP platform and Buhari/Ekweremadu, on any other platform, Atiku/Tinubu will still win in the Southeast and Southsouth.

What then is the rationale behind the "tribalisation" of voting pattern?

Now coming to Lagos state, Lagos is a cosmopolitan state and inhabited by virtually every ethnic group that made up Nigeria. Some so-called APC loyalists complained of the rise of Igbos and several non indigenes in the political affairs of Lagos but how many of them are aware that their leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, during his time as Governor of Lagos state actually encouraged and sponsored non Yorubas to attain political power? He made sure some of them attain the position of Vice Chairmen of local governments and even appointed Joe Igbokwe as General Manager of Lagos State Signage Advertising Agency. Governor Tinubu also made room for Joe Igbokwe to emerge Publicity Secretary of Action Congress, later Action Congress of Nigeria and now All Progressive Congress, a position he has held for more than 12 years. How many of them are aware that Governor Tinubu first appointed Mr Ben Akabueze as Commissioner for National Planning? How many of them are aware that the APC candidate and Bola Tinubu anointed for Oshodi/Isolo2 for Lagos State House of Assembly is an Igbo man from the southeast? Didn't he do all these to show them that Lagos is accommodating to all? So what then is the big deal should any other party give non ethnic Lagosians and Yoruba their mandates? What is the fuse should people irrespective of ethnicity and religion decide to vote along a path different from yours?

I want to believe that these ethnic warmongers and ignorant troublemakers did not receive the blessings of their leader, Tinubu, because I will never believe that such a man will turnaround to move against what he has ALWAYS stood for- inclusion of all in Lagos. The Tinubu I know is accommodating and discourages bitterness amongst people irrespective of whether he was wronged or not.

Furthermore, I have heard people ask whether non Yorubas would allow non indigenes, especially Igbos, attain position in their states and I find this line of thought ridiculous. This is because of all states in Nigeria, it is ONLY Lagos state and FCT will you find people of other ethnic stock contesting and winning elections. Every other states discriminate against people of other states irrespective of whether they are of same ethnic group as them, while some others even discriminate against minority groups within the states. For instance, in Benue state, it is either you are Tiv or you forget aspiring for Governor, you can't as a Tiv from Zone A ever aspire to be a Senator in Zone B despite it being ethnic Tiv zone. In Oyo state, if you aren't an Ibadan man, just forget ever aspirin to be Governor except unforseen circumstances throws you up like it did Alao Akala- even when such happens, forget about reelection. In same Oyo state, the Saki man cannot dream to be Governor, his aspiration will be Deputy Governor, talk more of an Ogbomoso man winning election to represent ibadanland. An Oyo man CANNOT win election in Ogun state, even an Ogun man, Solomon Olamilekan, that sought office in Ogun state was called a stranger simply because he represents an area in Lagos state. Should we talk of the north? Can a Kano man go to Kebbi to win election? Can a man from Southern Borno ever win Governorship election in his state? If not for the unfortunate incidence that happened to late Abubakar Audu, a non Igalaman would not have been Governor of the state. The case is the same everywhere and Nigeria is about everybody hold him territory in pidgin parlance.

Let me at this juncture say without iota of contradiction that we, as a people, will always play into the hands of some greedy political elites if we continue to let ourselves be pawns in their game. Every politician want power and some will go get it at any length to get it, after they acquire power they will NOT share anything with you irrespective of whether you are of same ethnic stock or practice same religion with them as long as you don't belong to their class.

Why do we spread hate instead of to vote for our conviction or whoever we feel will represent our interest and let the next man do same without harassment? Democracy should be about peoples collective will, which include respect for the choices of people even when we disagree. At the end, whoever emerges is bound to work for all and not only those that supported him.

May God Bless Us All And Bless Nigeria

Inioribo Tamunotonye @TonyeBarcanista, is the National Coordinator of Peoples Democratic Party National Youth League and Publicity Secretary of United Patriots of Nigeria, writes from Lagos.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:00pm On Mar 03, 2019
CAVEAT:

If after reading this you still feel it is wise to continue in your tribal line with respect to the election, then you need to consider an appointment with the psychiatrist

2 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Nobody: 2:06pm On Mar 03, 2019
Oya OP do the summary version...... The post is just tooooooooo long
Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:06pm On Mar 03, 2019
kingemzy5:
Oya OP do the summary version...... The post is just tooooooooo long

Because it is detailed! Have a good read

3 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Nobody: 2:08pm On Mar 03, 2019
Tinubu the drug Barron is the problem

2 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by ALCOHOLKILLS(m): 2:09pm On Mar 03, 2019
yolloba are free to hate igbos for voting against APC for all they want, but it won't change anything, just like their elders complained to GEJ some years, they will complain again sooner or later, let them enjoy their next level while it last

3 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:09pm On Mar 03, 2019
Beninmann:
Tinubu the drug Barron is the problem
Did you bother reading my guy?
Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 03, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:
Did you bother reading my guy?
I read half.

Why didn't tinubu allow igbos to vote in Lagos?
Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by sremmlyf(m): 2:12pm On Mar 03, 2019
2019 General election came with a lot of eye popping facts.it has shown the insecurity and hatred some people harbour for the IGBOS.
A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE WHILE YOU STILL CAN START MOVING YOUR WEALTH DOWN EAST

3 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by luvmijeje(f): 2:21pm On Mar 03, 2019
Now coming to Lagos state, Lagos is a cosmopolitan state and inhabited by virtually every ethnic group that made up Nigeria. Some so-called APC loyalists complained of the rise of Igbos and several non indigenes in the political affairs of Lagos

Is portharcourt not a cosmopolitan city?

What you can't accept, please don't do it to others.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by sremmlyf(m): 2:28pm On Mar 03, 2019
luvmijeje:

Because they voted for a candidate of their choice they deserve to be killed??
then you should go to oando and Oyo and kill the omoluabis that voted pdp

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by luvmijeje(f): 2:35pm On Mar 03, 2019
sremmlyf:

STFU! Blood sucking demon, so we should all bow down and ass lick because you feed us in Lagos??
Dirty pig claiming host

I'm not interested in your licking. Stay off the politics of Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by OriakuAmara(f): 2:40pm On Mar 03, 2019
Okada drop me here.
After I finish cooking my onugbu soup, I will comment cool
Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:45pm On Mar 03, 2019
luvmijeje:

In Portharcourt NOBODY get victimised for his political choice. Everyone with their freewill! Same with Abeokuta in Ogun state.

What's the point?

3 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Iamgrey5(m): 2:46pm On Mar 03, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:
CAVEAT:

If after reading this you still feel it is wise to continue in your tribal line with respect to the election, then you need to consider an appointment with the psychiatrist
You are wrong about Ibadan

You need to read history very well

Ibadan was the first major city in Yorubanation before Lagos

Strangers can even aspire to be kings and high chiefs in Ibadan

It is modern Nigerian politics and the population of Ibadan when compared to other towns in Oyo state that makes it impossible to ignore Ibadan in Oyo state political equation.

Ibadan has 11 local government and covers about 70℅ of Oyo state population.

3 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Honor10: 2:47pm On Mar 03, 2019
Lagos is a Yoruba land, let this sink in the head of this ipob pigs, if u do nonsense this Saturday, that's ur end. We are really waiting for u this Saturday. We want to end this once and for all, u can't be dictating to us in Yoruba land go back to your mud republic and do your politics there not in Afonja land.

5 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:48pm On Mar 03, 2019
ALCOHOLKILLS:
yolloba are free to hate igbos for voting against APC for all they want, but it won't change anything, just like their elders complained to GEJ some years, they will complain again sooner or later, let them enjoy their next level while it last
The point is that it is not Yoruba that are hating Igbos, it is some loyalists of some politicians who are driving the narrative to fuel their own agenda.

Don't forget, many Yorubas within and outside Lagos state voted for PDP and pdp candidate for Lagos is a Prince in Lagos.

6 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Investbrooker: 2:49pm On Mar 03, 2019
luvmijeje:

Dont mind that two faced to year canister.

Lagos is Yorubaland and Yorubas have the right to do what they want with it.

Very soon, the ethnic wars they want will come to pass

2 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:51pm On Mar 03, 2019
Iamgrey5:
You are wrong about Ibadan

You need to read history very well

Ibadan was the first major city in Yorubanation before Lagos

Strangers can even aspire to be kings and high chiefs in Ibadan

It is modern Nigerian politics and the population of Ibadan when compared to other towns in Oyo state that makes it impossible to ignore Ibadan in Oyo state political equation.

Ibadan has 11 local government and covers about 70℅ of Oyo state population.
All you have said, can a Saki man aspire to be Governor of Oyo state and win majority? Can an Ogbomoso man win Senate seat in Ibadan? Can an Awori from Ogun state aspire to be Oyo state Governor? Save Lagos and FCT, no other state allows non indigent people from aspiring, even some doesn't allow non majority within the state

1 Like

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by luvmijeje(f): 2:52pm On Mar 03, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:
In Portharcourt NOBODY get victimised for his political choice. Everyone with their freewill! Same with Abeokuta in Ogun state.

What's the point?

Nobody got victimized. We all know what happened on election day in Rivers state. Thuggery is part our electoral process. How many polling units was attacked in Isolo before they start throwing tribal accusation all around. The Igbos makes it bigger than what it is.

2 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Investbrooker: 2:52pm On Mar 03, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:

What's the point?
Ogbeni keep shut!! Nobody calls Portharcourt a no mans land.
Do you even know what it means? When you make that statement you look for trouble.

Ibo's must be taught a lesson.

March 9th no far again.

We will know who owns Lagos.

1 Like

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:52pm On Mar 03, 2019
[s]
Honor10:
Lagos is a Yoruba land, let this sink in the head of this ipob pigs, if u do nonsense this Saturday, that's ur end. We are really waiting for u this Saturday. We want to end this once and for all, u can't be dictating to us in Yoruba land go back to your mud republic and do your politics there not in Afonja land.
[/s]
Go tell that to the Igbo HoA Candidate in Oshodi Isolo 2

2 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Iamgrey5(m): 2:55pm On Mar 03, 2019
Historically, the Aworis a Yoruba clan that covers 70℅ of Lagos are one of the most accommodating in Yoruba land. They accommodated a Bini monarch and also gave room to Gun(Egun tribe from Dahomey). They can also be found in ota in Ogun state.

The ilajes that cover the costal areas of Ondo to Lagos are also very accommodating and historical records show that they were more concerned about fishing than securing huge parcels of land.

The ijebus that covers significant portion of Epe, ibeju and Ikorodu are less accommodating than the two previous clans I mentioned earlier, but they are not as aggressive as some other clans in the Yorubanation.

Notwithstanding, the ibos need to stop asserting that Lagos is no man's land, if they want to continue to enjoy peace and goodwill in Lagos state.

1 Like

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:56pm On Mar 03, 2019
luvmijeje:

Nobody got victimized. We all know what happened on election day in Rivers state. Thuggery is part our electoral process. How many polling units was attacked in Isolo before they start throwing tribal accusation all around. The Igbos makes it bigger than what it is.
That's the point I'm making!

Fueling the tribal narrative is playing into the hand of those that sponsored it.

Yorubas voted PDP, a lot of them within and outside Lagos, the attack on some Polling Units was tribalised to divert attention from the real issue, which I believe is Politically sponsored THUGGERY
Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by luvmijeje(f): 2:57pm On Mar 03, 2019
sremmlyf:

Because they voted for a candidate of their choice they deserve to be killed??
then you should go to oando and Oyo and kill the omoluabis that voted pdp

What happened was a criminal issue. It wasn't a tribal issue. There have always be flashpounts during electoral process. You all blow a little issue up.

1 Like

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:59pm On Mar 03, 2019
Investbrooker:

Ogbeni keep shut!! Nobody calls Portharcourt a no mans land.
Do you even know what it means? When you make that statement you look for trouble.

Ibo's must be taught a lesson.

March 9th no far again.

We will know who owns Lagos.
If someone wakes up and said Lagos is No Man's Land even when every sane mind knows it's incorrect, would it not amount to stupidity to use the comment of that fellow to hate over 99% of people doing business and living in Lagos?

And on March 9th, people will freely vote, leaders will emerge and nobody will be cowed. convince people not bully them to align with your political view.

3 Likes

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Honor10: 2:59pm On Mar 03, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:
[s][/s]
Go tell that to the Igbo HoA Candidate in Oshodi Isolo 2

Shut up! U guys shud do nonsense this Saturday, we have tolerate ur excess long enough. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by Iamgrey5(m): 2:59pm On Mar 03, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:

All you have said, can a Saki man aspire to be Governor of Oyo state and win majority? Can an Ogbomoso man win Senate seat in Ibadan? Can an Awori from Ogun state aspire to be Oyo state Governor? Save Lagos and FCT, no other state allows non indigent people from aspiring, even some doesn't allow non majority within the state
Adedibu the Ibadan political icon was not actually from Ibadan.

There are many Liberians who were Settled in Ibadan during their civil war who now claim to be indigenous to Ibadan.

I maintain that the new Nigerian political structure has infected Ibadan political atmosphere significantly.
Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:00pm On Mar 03, 2019
luvmijeje:

What happened was a criminal issue. It wasn't a tribal issue. There have always be flashpounts during electoral process. You all blow a little issue up.
Exactly! It was a criminal issue and fueled by politics. It was never tribal. Sponsors of the tribal card are only trying to divert the real issue
Re: The Ignorance And Foolishness In "Tribalising" 2019 Election by luvmijeje(f): 3:01pm On Mar 03, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:

That's the point I'm making!

Fueling the tribal narrative is playing into the hand of those that sponsored it.

Yorubas voted PDP, a lot of them within and outside Lagos, the attack on some Polling Units was tribalised to divert attention from the real issue, which I believe is Politically sponsored THUGGERY

The Igbos started it first. The Ohaneze picked it up. IPOB picked it up. Bode George the mumu picked it up. They all played into APC hand

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Easter: Ugwuanyi Preaches Peace, Love, Unity, Progress / How Buhari Influenced Appeal Court Judgment For APC – PDP Releases Evidence / Buhari’s Minister Of Defence Served In Abacha Govt, Backed June 12 Annulment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.