Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay (16183 Views)

'Celebrating Ekiti Win With Incoming President' - Fayemi, Abiodun Meet Tinubu / 2023: Why Is Buhari Not Campaigning For Tinubu The Way Obasanjo Did For Yaradua? / What Obasanjo Did To Me For Begging Him Not To Run For Second Term – Senator Kha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by nairavsdollars(f): 6:54am On Mar 04, 2019
Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), in this exclusive interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, speaks on his agenda for President Muhammadu Buhari in his second term. Excerpts:

President Buhari has won reelection for a second term but the impression out there is that many Nigerians are not celebrating his victory like they did when he won in 2015? Are you also aware of that?

No, I don’t believe that. We must realise one major factor. In 2015, he came from opposition to defeat the candidate of the ruling party. In other words, he created a precedent; for an opposition candidate to defeat a sitting President is something that has never happened in the history of this country. So that was the major source of excitement to everybody. But now in 2019, most people expected him to win based on his performance in the last four years and he won. The result is not a surprise really to the vast majority. So, whatever joy Nigerians are feeling, they keep it to themselves because they feel safe, secured and satisfied that there is continuity in good governance and somebody they can trust is still in charge of the affairs of the country. The majority of Nigerians who voted him believe that with him at the helm of affairs, corruption will be fought to a standstill. So, you don’t need to jump about on that. It is just a sort of quiet happiness. So, in the real sense a lot of Nigerians are excited about his coming back.

If you are to set an agenda for the President, what areas do you think he should focus on?

He is going to continue on the three major agenda that brought him back to power; that is, improving the economy, fighting corruption and keeping Nigeria secure and safe from insurgency through improved security. He will also consolidate on some other things which he has done in his first term such as infrastructural development. Major roads in the country will be fixed in a permanent manner, not what used to happen where a person got a contract and the money was shared between him and those who awarded the contract; eventually they did a poor job so that the road can be re-awarded. That is not happening again under the Buhari administration. There is a critical assessment of projects being done and you are not paid until it has met international standards.

What major problem do you think the government will face?

I think the major problem the government is going to have is on electricity. Power supply is a major problem and apart from economy and corruption, that is the major problem in this country. That is what is holding back our economy. A lot of people in this country would have been very productive if there is continuous electricity. So, that is a major problem and I am not sure government has found a solution, though they are trying to. My personal view which I have conveyed to the Minister of Power, Works and Housing is that, we don’t need one major colossal body running electricity in Nigeria, like the Transmission Company of Nigeria. We don’t need that.

My belief is that we should break down the operations into smaller units like Independent Power sources in Ikeja, which is giving 24 hours. If you want a private one, you go to VGC. We don’t need Eko Distribution or Ikeja Disco. We need to break it down into smaller units. For example, there is no reason why Lekki Phase 1 cannot have its own Electric Authority. Everybody will contribute and because the area covered is small, efficiency will be increased.

Won’t that be expensive compared to what consumers are paying now?

Of course, it will be more expensive but all of us are prepared to pay more money for improved electricity. What we pay for in diesel and petrol is going to be tripled when compared to what we will pay in having efficient, regular and conducive power. So, my advice to the Minister is to break down this huge colossal electric authority and let communities take over electricity, of course, with the help of the government.

Given the experience of the government with the outgoing national assembly, what advice will you give to President Buhari on the issue of the leadership of the incoming National Assembly?

The President made a very major mistake which became a huge drawback to his administration for the last four years. The mistake was that he was a bit aloof about the leadership of the National Assembly. His disposition was that they have been elected, let them choose their leaders. But that was wrong. You don’t do that because they are an important arm of government and they can obstruct you and cause you setbacks, pain and can stop government from making progress in many areas including fighting corruption and improving the economy. That is what happened under the Saraki-led national assembly where they became the major opposition to the federal government. For me, the main opposition party we had was the National Assembly, headed by Saraki and the Senate. It wasn’t the PDP at all. So, I am sure the president has learnt his lesson and this year, now that the APC has majority based on the number of elected lawmakers, he should call the lawmakers, they will choose a leader internally and simply go and formalise it when the National Assembly resumes. He will tell them who he wants to be the Senate President the way Obasanjo did successfully. That’s the way he should do it. He should take full control of the process. He must put his foot down and make sure somebody who will cooperate and work with him emerges before the lawmakers assemble to formalise the process .If not, we are just going back to the destructive and acrimonious era that we just managed to survive under the Saraki-led senate.

https://www.independent.ng/buhari-should-deal-with-incoming-national-assembly-like-obasanjo-did-sagay/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Dannyset(m): 6:55am On Mar 04, 2019
If Buhari does his I don't care attitude this time around and allows people with vested interest to disrupt his second term just like Saraki did, he will only have himself to blame.

We want a government without enemies within itself.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Toosure70: 7:07am On Mar 04, 2019
so obj na your role model now.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by hisexcellency34: 7:17am On Mar 04, 2019
How many Senate Presidents did Obasanjo remove sef?

11 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Iyajison: 7:21am On Mar 04, 2019
I just wish World Cup game could come up again so we can forget dis distraction called politics

14 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Gandollar(f): 7:35am On Mar 04, 2019
Toosure70:
do obj na your role model now.
My brother see me see trouble oooo

Another arm of government oooo

Oh God coman help the black man!

Even sagay that should have known better!

Even if they wanted to subvert laid down rules, must he do it openly?

Truly every man has his price, buhari's governt has paid sagays price for inviting him to coman chop national cake and the man is just regurgitating upandan!

Sarakis assembly's crime was the close scrutiny of presented budgets innit??

They refused to a rubber stamp Senate!

They exposed corrupt people close to buhari and buhari could not prosecute them because they were his people. And the world condemnation that followed such hypocrisy buhari can never recover from.

If not for that assembly, how we for take know say buhari dey use Baygon for us but dey use sosorobia for him pikins?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Gandollar(f): 7:37am On Mar 04, 2019
hisexcellency34:
How many Senate Presidents did Obasanjo remove sef?
So we should continue in that ignominy? Is that the change APC talked about or is that the next level?

All of a sudden, OBJ has now become a role model for buhari to emulate bah?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Gandollar(f): 7:42am On Mar 04, 2019
Dannyset:
If Buhari does his I don't care attitude this time around and allows people with vested interest to disrupt his second term just like Saraki did, he will only have himself to blame.

We want a government without enemies within itself.
If you don't want enemies, then don't exert undue influence on anybody's personal rights. Is it the work of the executive to choose a leader for Nass? Lack of freedom and high-handedness is what's dividing APC now and you are still subscribing to more of it. This is a democracy o. This is a 21st century. Even though an ancestor is on the throne.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Dannyset(m): 7:47am On Mar 04, 2019
Gandollar:
If you don't want enemies, then don't exert undue influence on anybody's personal rights. Is it the work of the executive to choose a leader for Nass? Lack of freedom and high-handedness is what's dividing APC now and you are still subscribing to more of it. This is a democracy o. This is a 21st century. Even though an ancestor is on the throne.

Wetin concern you, is it your party?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by hisexcellency34: 7:49am On Mar 04, 2019
Good question

Dannyset:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Gandollar(f): 7:51am On Mar 04, 2019
Dannyset:

Fvck shiiit nigga! It's the affairs of my fvcking country You are toying with and I should just recline while Zombies run it aground??

Have you not done enough damage already? undecided

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Gandollar(f): 7:52am On Mar 04, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Good question

And I have responded above embarassed

Lalasticlala, allow your wife to recover before you score another goal mbok.
Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 04, 2019
Look at what a whole SAN is saying in a democracy because of the free allowance he gets.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Dannyset(m): 7:57am On Mar 04, 2019
Gandollar:
Fvck shiiit nigga! It's the affairs of my fvcking country You are toying with and I should just recline while Zombies run it aground??

Have you not done enough damage already? undecided

Wait till the corrupt thief you voted for becomes President of Cameroon before you feel concerned.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by hisexcellency34: 8:19am On Mar 04, 2019
But in reality, Saraki did a lot of damage to this government

comshots:
Look at what a whole SAN is saying in a democracy because of the free allowance he gets.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Gandollar(f): 8:33am On Mar 04, 2019
Dannyset:

Wait till the corrupt thief you voted for becomes President of Cameroon before you feel concerned.
You are a lair! I won't fold my arms while a Lifeless Sudanese ruins my country.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Gandollar(f): 8:34am On Mar 04, 2019
hisexcellency34:
But in reality, Saraki did a lot of damage to this government

Give one instance of the damage? Just one.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Dannyset(m): 8:38am On Mar 04, 2019
Gandollar:
You are a lair! I won't fold my arms while a Lifeless Sudanese ruins my country.

Lolz!
Your life won't be ruined but if you won't accept that he is the people's President then am afraid you're likely to have an hate filled burden for the next 4 Years and beyond. grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Gandollar(f): 8:41am On Mar 04, 2019
Dannyset:

Lolz!
Your life won't be ruined but if you won't accept that he is the people's President then am afraid you're likely to have an hate filled burden for the next 4 Years and beyond. grin
Buhari ceases to be my president after may 29th. Besides, he buhari wailed even on camera for 12 years before the candy was gifted him, did he die? Ooops..he nearly shaa grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 04, 2019
Sometimes these old retired intellectuals think through their anus. With the way they reason it's no wonder the type of culture they enthroned in the sectors where they served.
Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by hisexcellency34: 9:01am On Mar 04, 2019
Frustrated many of PMB's appointments and caused setbacks to government through his court cases

Gandollar:
Give one instance of the damage? Just one.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Gandollar(f): 9:04am On Mar 04, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Frustrated many of PMB's appointments and caused setbacks to government through his court cases

Which appointments did he frustrate and how? Now don't tell me magu.

Court cases? How? Wasn't it the FG that took him to court?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Nairalandmentor(m): 9:05am On Mar 04, 2019
angry
Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by sammyj: 9:05am On Mar 04, 2019
The wailers and the children of hate will not like this notion of news papers admitting that Buhari won this election. Buhari should ensure the leadership of the NASS emerges through the party for smooth approval of his policy and funds for projects and process that will enhance the quality of life of the masses !! wink

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 04, 2019
That name Buhari is a nemesis to Nigeria
Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by AgamaHub: 9:06am On Mar 04, 2019
Hqaa
Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by jaxxy(m): 9:08am On Mar 04, 2019
So now they wana copy Obasanjo. Why does Apc only copy bad things? undecided
Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by richidinho(m): 9:08am On Mar 04, 2019
g
Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by joshua7819: 9:09am On Mar 04, 2019
ok
Re: Buhari Should Deal With Incoming National Assembly Like Obasanjo Did –Sagay by Myde4naija(m): 9:10am On Mar 04, 2019
Gandollar:
So we should continue in that ignominy? Is that the change APC talked about or is that the next level?

All of a sudden, OBJ has now become a role model for buhari to emulate bah?
just know prof sagay comment remain an opinion that may or may not be considered when it come to real governance.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ijaw Group Slams Omo Agege Over NDDC Appointments, Tells Buhari To Intervene / Seven Remanded For Edo Assembly Invasion / North Is The Safest Place For Igbos – Ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.