Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,479 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days (10154 Views)

Today Is Ash Wednesday Which Mark The Begining Of Lent / Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent / Lent: Lenten Fast And Liturgical Season Of Lent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by ivoryfile: 2:10am On Mar 07, 2019
Lent is a season of forty days, not counting Sundays, which begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday. Lent comes from the Anglo Saxon word lencten, which means “spring.”

The forty days represents the time Jesus spent in the wilderness, enduring the temptation of Satan and preparing to begin his ministry.

Lent is a time of repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter. It is a time of self-examination and reflection.
In the early church, Lent was a time to prepare new converts for baptism. Today, Christians focus on their relationship with God, often choosing to give up something or to volunteer and give of themselves for others.

Sundays in Lent are not counted in the forty days because each Sunday represents a “mini-Easter” and the reverent spirit of Lent is tempered with joyful anticipation of the Resurrection.

SOURCE: https://www.ivoryfile.com/meaning-of-lent-why-it-lasts-for-forty-days/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by ictjobber: 10:54am On Mar 07, 2019
I'm a Christian, but I've never partaken in Lent... Until you decide to seek God yourself, you'll never see the frivolities of all these things

I build websites and I'm based in Abuja, See my signature / profile

2 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by mbahdi(m): 10:54am On Mar 07, 2019
H
Second to comment.hmm. Interesting
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by leo047: 10:55am On Mar 07, 2019
Just in case you needed some extra spiritual ideas for Lent.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Alexandro15: 10:56am On Mar 07, 2019
Tear your heart, not your garment. Happy lent to all

2 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by TheGameYard(m): 10:56am On Mar 07, 2019
Get all your PC games and live the fun weekend. And fun days any day.
Check my signature
I deliver anywhere
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Maryclaire1(f): 10:59am On Mar 07, 2019
May this lenting period draw us closer to God and it bring forth good tidings.Amen

5 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Forreellinc: 11:02am On Mar 07, 2019
ivoryfile:
Lent is a season of forty days, not counting Sundays, which begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday. Lent comes from the Anglo Saxon word lencten, which means “spring.”

The forty days represents the time Jesus spent in the wilderness, enduring the temptation of Satan and preparing to begin his ministry.

Lent is a time of repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter. It is a time of self-examination and reflection.
In the early church, Lent was a time to prepare new converts for baptism. Today, Christians focus on their relationship with God, often choosing to give up something or to volunteer and give of themselves for others.

Sundays in Lent are not counted in the forty days because each Sunday represents a “mini-Easter” and the reverent spirit of Lent is tempered with joyful anticipation of the Resurrection.

op yesterday I ate p*ssy, does that count as eating meat on ash wednesday?

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by PennywysCares(m): 11:03am On Mar 07, 2019
that's great
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by abrojunior94(m): 11:05am On Mar 07, 2019
Good
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Offpoint1: 11:06am On Mar 07, 2019
Lend I know, lent I've never heard of...

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by jericco1(m): 11:10am On Mar 07, 2019
someone said it is frivolous to observe Lent
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by kernniejay(m): 11:10am On Mar 07, 2019
Offpoint1:
Typing...

Always Offpoint, that's who you are anyway.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Offpoint1: 11:12am On Mar 07, 2019
kernniejay:

Always Offpoint, that's who you are anyway.
Are you in love with me?

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Rubyventures: 11:17am On Mar 07, 2019
leo047:

very nice piece , this is what lent is all about.

If I may add to this, we should also reduce our over indulgence and greed and focus on helping others, not just financially but giving our time and lending our ears without judging.

2 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by flex04(m): 11:18am On Mar 07, 2019
ictjobber:
I'm a Christian, but I've never partaken in Lent... Until you decide to seek God yourself, you'll never see the frivolities of all these things

grin grin (Depending on your part of partakement) Nobody is told to partake, we are only encourage to and that is when "deciding to seek God yourself, you'll never see the frivolities of all these things" comes in. It's personal. wink, Na the english dey confuse us brotherly!!

The guy below has something to say

Alexandro15:
Tear your heart, not your garment.
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Nobody: 11:21am On Mar 07, 2019
and I wanted to start fasting today, I don't know when I start eating the rice I was serving in the cooler.
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by flex04(m): 11:23am On Mar 07, 2019
EmpresFIDEL:
and I wanted to start fasting today, I don't know when I start eating the rice I was serving in the cooler.

Not only you o, this is the season i do wake up with hunger
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Nobody: 11:23am On Mar 07, 2019
Alexandro15:
Tear your heart, not your garment. Happy length to all
lent

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by zola105: 11:43am On Mar 07, 2019
leo047:
Ur head carry oil
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by J0nyb0y(m): 11:46am On Mar 07, 2019
meanwhile,

USA Used Dell Latitude E6440 Laptop
Core i5-4310M

CPU@2.70GHz
500GB HDD,
16GB RAM
Backlit keyboard
Comes with Original Dell Charger
4-5 hours battery life guaranteed...

Price: 120k Negotiable
Contact in sig

Check my topics for pix

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Truefaith: 11:55am On Mar 07, 2019
Sir, from which part of the Bible did you get all these fanciful teachings?

Which Apostle told you to observe Lent, Ash Wednesday or Shrove Tuesday?

They were, all, imported from pagans and occult idol worshippers.

Who gave you the power to convert observances of idolatry to Christianity?

Like it or hate it, Roman Catholicism has been pure idolatry right from the days of Constantine.

It hates true Christianity with Satanic passion.

If you fear God, you will run from idolatry.

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/are-you-a-catholic/
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by zone51: 11:59am On Mar 07, 2019
ictjobber:

I build websites and I'm based in Abuja, See my signature / profile

Nice homepage you gat BUT I am not comfortable with the logo visibility...Logo speaks volume of the site but yours look shy.. cool
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Enuoyan: 12:00pm On Mar 07, 2019
ivoryfile:

Why is lent only applicable to a certain christian division and not to the Christianity as a whole
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Truefaith: 12:10pm On Mar 07, 2019
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me" Exodus 20:4-5

You really believe the popes are higher than God?

ROMAN CATHOLIC CATECHISMS SAY THEY ARE.

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/2016/09/23/are-you-a-catholic/

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Truefaith: 12:11pm On Mar 07, 2019
"Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me".

God says everyone that worships idols hate God.

This includes all those fake Mary, Peter, Paul, Batholomew, Thomas idols in Roman Catholicism.

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/2016/09/23/are-you-a-catholic/

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Kpartners: 12:45pm On Mar 07, 2019
ivoryfile:

You are not correct, except you are seeing it from the way your church sees it
Lent include Sundays and runs from ash Wednesday to the night before palm Sunday which actually is 39 days, after palm Sunday we enter holy week which is not part of lent and will end on Saturday night, the end of holy week is Easter Sunday
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 07, 2019
flex04:

Not only you o, this is the season i do wake up with hunger
may God help us
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 07, 2019
TheGameYard:
Get all your PC games and live the fun weekend. And fun days any day.
Check my signature
I deliver anywhere

Can you deliver to Owerri?
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Funkybabee(f): 1:43pm On Mar 07, 2019
Before lent, every week must have a special day same with month reason why christian don't carry lent on head but some don't have that culture maybe due to a various churches doctrine.. Winners one for week, 3for month.. That's only way u move closer to God

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by DK2daworld: 2:40pm On Mar 07, 2019
Lent reminds us that from dust we came and to dust we will go, especially when the puts the on our forehead. May God Almighty receive our fasting.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Be A Nigerian Pastor – By Segun Dada / God's Judgement Against King Ahab / The Heroes Of Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.