Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days (10176 Views)

Today Is Ash Wednesday Which Mark The Begining Of Lent / Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent / Lent: Lenten Fast And Liturgical Season Of Lent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by ivoryfile: 2:46pm On Mar 07, 2019
Kpartners:

You are not correct, except you are seeing it from the way your church sees it
Lent include Sundays and runs from ash Wednesday to the night before palm Sunday which actually is 39 days, after palm Sunday we enter holy week which is not part of lent and will end on Saturday night, the end of holy week is Easter Sunday

Not correct sir/ ma.
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by TheGameYard(m): 3:30pm On Mar 07, 2019
zeemahn:

Can you deliver to Owerri?
Sure thing Sir.
I deliver everywhere across the federation.
Hit me up on WhatsApp
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Nobody: 3:39pm On Mar 07, 2019
ivoryfile:
Lent is a season of forty days, not counting Sundays, which begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday. Lent comes from the Anglo Saxon word lencten, which means “spring.”

The forty days represents the time Jesus spent in the wilderness, enduring the temptation of Satan and preparing to begin his ministry.

Lent is a time of repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter. It is a time of self-examination and reflection.
In the early church, Lent was a time to prepare new converts for baptism. Today, Christians focus on their relationship with God, often choosing to give up something or to volunteer and give of themselves for others.

Sundays in Lent are not counted in the forty days because each Sunday represents a “mini-Easter” and the reverent spirit of Lent is tempered with joyful anticipation of the Resurrection.

SOURCE: https://www.ivoryfile.com/meaning-of-lent-why-it-lasts-for-forty-days/

So do you do dry fasting for forty days and forty night? Did Jesus exempt Sunday in his own fasting? Did Jesus institute his Memorial after a forty days fasting?

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Rubyventures: 4:10pm On Mar 07, 2019
Truefaith:
Sir, from which part of the Bible did you get all these fanciful teachings?

Which Apostle told you to observe Lent, Ash Wednesday or Shrove Tuesday?

They were, all, imported from pagans and occult idol worshippers.

Who gave you the power to convert observances of idolatry to Christianity?

Like it or hate it, Roman Catholicism has been pure idolatry right from the days of Constantine.

It hates true Christianity with Satanic passion.

If you fear God, you will run from idolatry.

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/are-you-a-catholic/

Does it really matter? When it comes to religion you only believe what ever you were brainwashed to believe. So the best thing for everyone, is to worship what and who ever they want to worship in peace and respect the religious beliefs of others. At the end of the day it is what is in your heart and how you treat those around you that matters. There is no best religion. its like trying to tell a fish that there is a better world out there than being in water.
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by uzhofficial: 5:12pm On Mar 07, 2019
Rubyventures:

Does it really matter? When it comes to religion you only believe what ever you were brainwashed to believe. So the best thing for everyone, is to worship what and who ever they want to worship in peace and respect the religious beliefs of others. At the end of the day it is what is in your heart and how you treat those around you that matters. There is no best religion. its like trying to tell a fish that there is a better world out there than being in water.

Word!!!
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by CertifiedGee(m): 11:47pm On Mar 07, 2019
My church don't do the lent fasting. We just do the 7 days fasting and it always start on the Monday of Good Friday and ends on Easter Sunday. I will state my/our reason.
Easter is for the remembrance of the death of Christ and not the beginning of his ministerial work when he had 40 days fasting and prayers.
So he (Jesus) never fasted when he was about to die.
The 7 days we do observe is to only remember d tribulations he went through in that week before he was finally crucified.
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 09, 2019
CertifiedGee:
My church don't do the lent fasting. We just do the 7 days fasting and it always start on the Monday of Good Friday and ends on Easter Sunday. I will state my/our reason.
Easter is for the remembrance of the death of Christ and not the beginning of his ministerial work when he had 40 days fasting and prayers.
So he (Jesus) never fasted when he was about to die.
The 7 days we do observe is to only remember d tribulations he went through in that week before he was finally crucified.

Who told you to do that tribulation fasting? And which 7-day tribulation was prior to his death?

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by CertifiedGee(m): 7:43pm On Mar 09, 2019
JMAN05:

Who told you to do that tribulation fasting? And which 7-day tribulation was prior to his death?

During the week he was arrested, that was when he went with some of his disciples to the mountain to pray. While he was praying, he was also bleeding and the disciples were just sleeping. And again, it was in that week that he was arrested and all manners of things were done to him like placing the thorned crown on his head, asked to carry the cross and finally nailed and crucified..... Isn't that enough tribulation?

And if you go back to my first response and re read(no pun intended), I said that fasting is just to mark his death and not because he also had a 7 days fasting before he died[b](he never did)[/b] just like other churches do
Re: Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days by kernniejay(m): 9:30pm On Mar 13, 2019
Offpoint1:

Are you in love with me?

No, i am not a gay.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Xenophobic Attack: Alfred Adewale Martins, Catholic Archbishop Of Lagos Speaks / Seun Caves In Again To Terrorists / Reachout Nigeria 2013: Celebrating Our Possibilities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.