Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,882 members, 7,810,381 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). (15981 Views)

Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds / Transformation Photos Of A Lady Living With HIV In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by princessyere1(f): 7:37pm On Sep 26, 2022
Fhunkhy1:
*Health Tip*

Avoid putting your bare foot on tiles or cemented grounds for a long time

Most of your nerve endings are found under your feet.

When it gets in contact with prolong coldness,it diminishes blood supply and reduces nutrients and oxygen supply.
You are strong and beautiful God bless you

The reason why the white have bathroom sandals and bedroom sandals is for a good reason.

Today, lot of people have all kinds of arthritis because of this.

Modernization comes with it's associated health challenges.

Therefore, move with time.

GOOD MORNING

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by princessyere1(f): 7:45pm On Sep 26, 2022
[quote author=princessyere1 post=117035971][/quote]
You are strong and beautiful…God bless you
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Thryphosa(m): 2:10am On Sep 27, 2022
Good work Fhunkhy1, you're a strong lady. Keep it up.

1 Like

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 10:46pm On Nov 16, 2022
*FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR HEALTH*

� You are the number one stakeholder in your health

�Your health is what you eat

�Your health is what you drink

�The way you think will affect your Health

�Your Health will affect the quality of your life

�Your health will determine how long you will live

�The number of people spoons and knife killed are by far more than the number of people Guns and bullet killed

�Nearly every disease or ill health can be reversed if you change your lifestyles, by changing what you eat, drink, smoke and how you live and relate.

�When health fails every other thing takes the backstage.

�Your health is your greatest wealth.

Remember no medical or traditional healer will treat you for free when that serious health challenge occurs.

1 Like

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 9:52pm On Nov 20, 2022
Hello everyone .
Good evening. As always I'm here to lament and rant.
Apparently, No one told me registering for NYSC as a sickle cell patient is damn stressful. I had to start looking for my doctors phone number, address,even medical and dental council of Nigeria (MDCN) code, etc.
The embarrassing part was the part that they were asking for the contact to be called in case of emergency or death.
Death for crying out loud!!.
Shey won fe pa mummy won si camp ni?.
I sha hope I get it done tomorrow coz they say portal closes on Tuesday and I don't wish to carry over service year till 2024 . Put me in your prayers.
Thanks for reading.

Peace ✌️✌️

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 5:43pm On Oct 02, 2023
Suddenly remembered this little community here and I decided to post this.
Remember that sickle cell struggles are real and you should not make a child suffer for the sake of the love you have for your partner.

ACUTE CHEST SYNDROME (ACS)

Acute chest syndrome (ACS) is defined as a new radiodensity on chest imaging accompanied by fever and/or respiratory symptoms.

It is an acute complication of sickle cell disease (SCD) that is potentially fatal and requires immediate intervention regardless of the patient's age.

Various pathological processes can contribute to ACS, including infection, fat embolism, and vaso-occlusion. In practice, it is not possible to differentiate between these causes, which often overlap, so treatment principles are similar for all cases. ACS is clinically indistinguishable from pneumonia in individuals with SCD.

X ray findings in ACS can vary significantly, and it is not possible on X-ray alone to differentiate between ACS and pneumonia.

RISK FACTORS

Some patients are at higher risk of developing ACS:

-Genotype: HbSS and Hb S-beta0 thalassemia are at highest risk

-HbF percentage – higher HbF percentage is protective (infants, and those on hydroxyurea therapy)

-Comorbidities – asthma, recent surgery, chronic sleep apnoea

-Environmental factors – ACS is more common in winter months due to cold temperatures and higher burden of circulating viruses. Tobacco or cooking smoke in the household increases risk.

TRIGGERS

In many cases, a "trigger" can be identified for an episode of ACS. Sometimes multiple triggers are present, and sometimes (30-40% of cases), no trigger can be identified.

Triggers are important to identify, because treating an underlying trigger is important to managing an episode of ACS. These are most commonly:

-Infections:

-Viral
-Streptococcus pneumoniae and other “typical” bacteria
-Mycoplasma species and other “atypical” bacteria
-Asthma
-Acute SCD pain

MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES FOR ACS
-Admit to hospital and monitor closely, especially oxygen saturations
Ensure regular monitoring and documentation of saturations, respiratory rate, auscultation findings, use of accessory muscles, mental state, colour and perfusion.
-Pain control is a key priority : pain makes patients breath less deeply, and exacerbates ACS
-All patients with ACS need broad spectrum antibiotics, since infection often plays a role in causing ACS.
Antibiotics should not be delayed while seeking cultures/Xrays/other investigations
-Fluid balance should be monitored closely, including recording daily weights.
Many patients with ACS require blood transfusion to improve oxygenation.

This is just for education purposes,note that every warrior should see a hematologist from time to time for proper management.

1 Like

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 12:24pm On Apr 26
Hi people.

Two hip replacement surgeries later I'm grateful to be here.
I'm not yet at 100% but I will be.

❤️❤️
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by DemonSlayer: 4:34pm On Apr 26
Fhunkhy1:
Hi people.

Two hip replacement surgeries later I'm grateful to be here.
I'm not yet at 100% but I will be.

❤️❤️

Glad to see you've finally gotten the surgeries you needed. You're an incredibly inspirational person, I wish you the very best as you continue to fight towards 100%.
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by DemonSlayer: 4:39pm On Apr 26
Fhunky1, it was truly eye opening to read all the knowledge you've dropped in this thread over the years. I can't begin to imagine what the experience is like living as a warrior. The description of some of the conditions you shared broke my heart.

The conclusion I've come to is that there's nothing in this world that'll make me bring another soul into such a situation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Misitura Arowona: Anti-TB Drug Developed By UNILORIN PhD Student / COVID-19 Update For January 21 2021 In Nigeria / Do You Also Get Unusually Dehydrated Of Late?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.