Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU (3513 Views)

Some Cool Facts You May Not Know and more[photos] / Cool Facts About Nature That'll Blow Your Mind / Super Long Building In Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by chapilone(m): 11:13pm On Mar 09, 2019
Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU
By Oluwatayo adeola

How can I ever forget my Alma mater Obafemi Awolowo University? Yes o….Oba Awon University (king of all universities)?

OAU, the University with the most beautiful campus in Africa. A citadel of learning, where people don’t care about how expensive you are, but what you’ve got upstairs.

I well know that if you read this article to the end, and you’ve chosen or already in a university of your choice, believe me, you might not forgive me.

Great Ife! I hail you 1 million times. O ya, let’s start to roll it!

Obafemi Awolowo University – Great Ife Overview

Obafemi Awolowo University formerly known as University of Ife, was founded in 1962 and the name was changed on 12th of May 1987.

This University is situated on 2,020 hectares (5,000 acres) of land. Obafemi Awolowo University is known as the most beautiful campus.

Yes it is the most beautiful campus due to the magnificent structures and architectural designs. Everything is just well arranged and organized.

Banks have their place on campus, market has its place, academics area and religious ground nko? In fact hall of residence is removed from academics.

Obafemi Awolowo University is a community on its own, I swear you can stay inside the campus for a year without moving out, and you will get almost everything you need.

OAU Identity

Name: Obafemi Awolowo University

Acronym: OAU

Founded: 1962

Motto: For learning and culture

Colours: Midnight blue and gold

University location: Ile Ife, Osun, Nigeria

University official website: www.oauife.edu.ng

Contact Details:

Obafemi Awolowo University,

P.M.B. 13, Ile-Ife, Osun, 220282, Nigeria.

Email: Info@oauife.edu.ng

Accreditation

When a school is accredited it means that such institution meets certain requirements and it must be accredited by a reputable agency e.g. National Universities Commission (NUC) and other relevant professional bodies.

Obafemi Awolowo University is officially accredited by the National Universities Commission, and offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees.

Degree programs include pre-bachelor degrees, (i.e certificate diplomas, associate and foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, master degrees, and doctorate degrees in several areas of study.

University Size And Profile

Obafemi Awolowo University is owned by the federal government, and as the university expands in academics discipline, infrastructures, and so on, so also is increase in population.

The student population has risen from 244 in 1962 to over 30,000 students and over 12,000 academic staff in the academic session.

Obafemi Awolowo University admission is for both males and females. OAU admits students of any race, color, religion, sex e.tc.

Well….. I think before, OAU is the university with the slowest calendar due to strike but reverse is the case as they run two academic calendar which is first and second semester. It is faster than before.

OAU Anthem

Great Ife! Great Ife!

Africa’s most beautiful campus.

Conscious, vigilant, progressive

Aluta against all oppression

Forward ever, backward never

For learning and culture, sports and struggle

Great Ife! I love you

There’s only one Great Ife in the universe

Another Great Ife is a counterfeit

Great! Great! Great! Great! Great!

Accommodation In Halls Of Residence

First and final year student are given opportunity in the allocation of bed space. Other spaces if available will be allocated on first come first serve basis.

Obafemi Awolowo University is really changing positively. Recently about 72.2% of OAU students are forced to reside off campus, so OAU hall of residence is not as choked up as before like sardine.

As of now, only 7,217 bed spaces are available in the school which is just for 27.8% of the school’s undergraduate population, which means 18,92out of over 30,000 students now stay off campus.

OAU Undergraduate Students

Male undergraduate students in all departments will be distributed in the four halls for men i.e. Angola, Fajuyi, Awo, and ETF.

Awo Hall
Women undergraduate students will be accommodated in Mozambique, Moremi, Alumni and Akintola hall.

Muritala Muhammed Hall is exclusively for post graduates students.

OAU Admission Requirements

Obafemi Awolowo University has elective admission policy based on entrance examinations and grades. OAU offers admission to 100 level and 200 level (Direct entry or diploma)

Obafemi Awolowo University acceptance fees is 20,000 and the school fees is less than 40,000 for returning students depending on the faculty.

Requirements for admission into Oau are grouped into general admission requirements, and faculty or departmental course requirement.

For Admission into 100 Level

A candidate must:

Choose OAU as the first choice of institution.
You must have credit passes in at least five subjects in SSCE/GCE or equivalents, in not more than two sittings.
A minimum of 200 is required in UTME cut off mark for those seeking admission into this prestigious university.
Candidates must also participate in the post utme screening exercise conducted by the institution.

100 level matriculation photo
For Admission into 200 level (Direct Entry)

Candidates must obtain five credit passes at SSCE (or equivalent) in relevant subjects in not more than two sittings and must possess NCE or OND with credit passes.
OAU also runs pre-degree program which normally runs for two contact periods within nine months and eligible candidates must possess minimum of 5 credits in 5 subjects at a maximum of two sittings including English language (for all courses) Mathematics (science and social sciences) and literature (English and Law).

Prospective candidate are advised to visit undergraduate link on the university website at www.oauife.edu.ng to get more information about entry requirement.

General Admission Requirements For Prospective Postgraduates

The postgraduate programme in available in OAU are post graduate Diploma and certificate, Master’s Degree (MBA, MPA, MIR, MM Psych, LL.M e.t.c.) Masters with Research Thesis (M.Sc., M.A, M.Phil) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)

Requirement For Each Degree Type

Post graduate Diploma Programmes
Must be a graduate of the Obafemi Awolowo University with at least 3rd class degree, and a graduate of any other approved institution with a minimum of 2nd class (lower division)

2. Master Degree Programmes

Master degree programme possess not lower than second class (lower division) from Obafemi Awolowo University or any other approved university

3. Master of Philosophy Degree programmes

Possess first class or very strong second class (upper division) with CGPA of 4.0 and above

4. Doctor of Philosophy Degree programmes

An applicant must be a graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University or any other approved university and must possess a master degree with research thesis.

All Faculties & OAU Courses and Their Requirements

The University started with five faculties; Agriculture, Arts, Economics, social studies (now social sciences), law and science.

Other faculties were added to it which includes Education, Pharmacy, Administration, and Faculty of Environmental Design and management.

The faculty of Health sciences is now a college which is made up of three faculties namely Basic Medical sciences, Clinical sciences and Dentistry.

The university boasts of having 13 faculties and over 70 departments. Below is the list of all faculties in OAU

Administration
Agriculture
Arts
Basic Medical sciences
Clinical sciences
Dentistry
Education
Environmental Design and management
Law
Pharmacy
Science
Social sciences
Technology
Obafemi Awolowo University Ranking

OAU is among the top 3 universities in Nigeria and provides academic and non-academic facilities such as library, sporting facilities, laboratories, lecture rooms.

Obafemi Awolowo University ranks no 1 in Nigeria and 2,230th in the world.

So, which is the best university in Nigeria? Check our latest post on the rankings of the top 51 best Nigerian universities and their location and you’ll see the Uni that ranks first.

Here are some buildings that are mouthwatering inside the campus

5,000 capacity amphi theatre
Motion ground
Spider house
Senate building and some other faculties’ buildings.

Just pay a visit to OAU then you will know that Obafemi Awolowo University is a tourist center in terms of the gigantic structures.

OAU Student Campus Life Fun Facts

OAU students organize their own oro for oni of ife
Awo guys are the craziest and funniest guys in Obafemi Awolowo University. There is never a dull moment in Awo hall.
How about the maximum shishi; take anything that is not yours then you will understand the meaning of maximum shishi because you will be beaten to pulp.
I could remember vividly a day I went to Awo with my friend, the guys blew whistle to draw the attention of other guys and they started shouting ‘Won ti de o’ (they are here).
Then, they surrounded me singing brother, sisters wa ooo meaning (brother, sisters are available). I don’t even know if I should cry or I should smile.

Imagine a mother that enters Awo hall to pay a visit to his son, and the Aworite started singing “our mummy is a fresher iya iya oo, lolz
If any Nigerian celebrity or musician enter OAU, Chai, hmnn hmnn dey never born you well make you know dobale (prostrate) before performing.
You are cooking spagewa (combination of spaghetti and beans) and someone from the 2nd room comes to tell you that she doesn’t like to eat too much salt or cook for two.
Have you been to the exam hall, and you don’t know what to write? Immediately you start calculating your GP.
In fact, bats dey drag population for OAU no be small thing. Imagine when you’re rushing to receive early morning lecture and bats shits on your white ironed shirt. You will be like I don die.
This one weak me o. Imagine when you see a list going round, you don’t even know the purpose of the list then you started struggling to write your name and your friend’s name.
OAU is proud of an impressive of alumni body both home and abroad e.g Femi Otedola, Femi Falana, Lai Mohammed, Abike Dabiri, Oluremi Tinubu and many more.

OAU Slangs and Meaning

The following are common slangs of OAU students

Dobale (prostrate – norms an artiste must fulfill before performing
Your father – act of teasing some one
Ogba Femi (Femi’s compound) – OAU Campus
Aiye o po – time Na money so make good use of your time
Anglomoz – Area between Angola hall and Mozambique hall
Risky – (fried egg and bread)
Mr Moz – A male visitor that visits the female hostel at the wrong time
Ife igbeyin – (end times of a semester in OAU, most especially exam period when you don’t have enough provision and money again)
Ose igberaga – early week of resumption when you are fully loaded
Igi Iwe eso odo- someone who reads always, but always fails
Maximum shishi- punishment for offenders especially thieves
Spagewa- mixture of spaghetti and beans
Floor O – School’s detention room
Jacking – act of reading
Tan gboro – commuter bus
Obafemi Awolowo University Profile (Summary)

If you have the passion and desire to study in Obafemi Awolowo University, I believe this article is for you.

OAU is a lovely institution with the most beautiful campus, and offers best education in Nigeria.

If you attend this university, you will be proud any day, anywhere, and anytime because you will have the sense of fulfillment and you will have the confidence to stand before anybody. Great Ife I can never forget you.

3 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 10:37am On Oct 02, 2019
OAU Admission Rush
Being around OAU since 2006—first as a candidate, then as an undergraduate, then as a postgraduate student, and also as a known educational consultant in Ife—has given me a huge load of experience over how admission goes in Obefemi Awolowo UnIversity (OAU) at whatever level—from the level of the pre-degree, to the undergraduate (UTME and DE), and to the postgraduate; so much for refusing to leave Ife as almost everyone does when they manage to finish their first degree programme in OAU. No one loves to come back to OAU after escaping the school the first time (the word 'love' in the statement was carefully chosen). But people like me, we just act like OAU is the only university in the country, and we can’t afford to not be there. And sometimes, it does really feel as though OAU is the only university in the country. I mean, does it not sound like the lion is the only animal in the forest sometimes? Continue reading the article here>>>>https://www.pecngr.com/2019/10/oau-admission-rush-tags-nairaland-oau.html?m=1

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 10:37am On Oct 07, 2019
It’s no news anymore that OAU has released to JAMB the first batch of the names of people who have been offered admission by the institution, remaining for JAMB to upload it on their portal. At least everyone on the list can now see a certain change on their CAPS on JAMB’s website (i.e. change from NOT ADMITTED YET to PROCESSING ADMISSION). But before I continue on expatiating the admission news, let me take advantage of this topic to explain once again that—contrary to what almost everyone thinks—it is not JAMB that offers admission but the school you have applied to, and CAPS is only a platform JAMB uses to monitor the admission processes of every school to make sure no one is offered more than one admission when there are people who didn’t even get one. In simpler terms, your school—after screening you—determines the criteria they want to use to admit applicants, they make a list of the applicants they have considered for admission based on the criteria they have determined or through any other means that could make the applicant qualify for the consideration for admission (runs, slots, etc.), they release the lists to JAMB, and JAMB uploads them to their web (CAPS). This should be enough to make it clear how it is not JAMB that offers admission but the school. This could seem like unneeded information, but for those having issues with their schools and JAMB over their admission; they cannot see this information as useless. https://www.pecngr.com/2019/10/oau-set-to-release-first-batch-tags-oau.html?m=1

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 10:43am On Nov 07, 2019
How Slots, “Runs” and Admission Processing work in OAU
Being a “runsman” (as they address us), I have gotten to be in conversations with candidates and parents who only know there are things called slots, “runs”, and admission processing, but really don’t understand how they work. I have also conversed with candidates and parents who don’t even know a thing about all these things I just mentioned. Hence, it becomes a call on a runsman cum blogger like me to take advantage of blogging to explain this issue which causes problems for OAU runsmen like me. I’ll start from explaining how slots work in OAU. Continue reading here>>>>>>https://www.pecngr.com/2019/11/how-slots-runs-and-admission-processing.html?m=1

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 10:25am On Dec 09, 2019
Still Waiting on OAU’s Admission List
The year is having just few of working days left, the school is already one week into her Rain (Second) Semester exams, and most Predegree, UTME and DE applicants are yet to have their names on CAPS as offered admission. What is happening? Why is OAU overly slow about this admission processes, and is it safe to keep waiting on OAU hoping when they eventually release all their batches of admission lists, your name will be there. Here are the questions applicants and their parents have been asking recently, and I want to address these questions in this write-up. CONTINUE READING HERE>>>>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2019/12/still-waiting-on-oaus-admission-list.html
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 10:53am On Feb 03, 2020
“Transfer Approval” and “Admission Eligibility Newly Introduced on CAPS: The Possible Effects
The introduction of Admission Eligibility to CAPS is the newest function to add to the web, and I can already tell it’s a very good one. Good one because aspirants and their wards won’t have to wait on an admission that will never be given again. You just check your eligibility for the course you are under consideration for, and if you don’t have three green boxes carrying yes, yes and yes in them, you already know you can’t be offered admission to that course, this is when you need a slot—the only place left which slots can still work. Your slot person will just need to get a slot for you to another department which cutoff you beat; you see how easy it suddenly got to process admission? You are carried along in every process, instead of being left in the dark as it used to be years ago. Kudos to JAMB. But if you are an aspirant currently on slots, it’s advisable you talk to your slot person ASAP to know how the new development will be affecting you or has affected you, and re-strategize on the new thing to do. CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING >>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2020/02/transfer-approval-and-admission.html

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 2:32pm On Oct 27, 2020
When you Have Changed Your Choice of Course in your UTME but the Old Course is Still Reflecting on Your OAU Post-UTME
It is very normal that between when UTME results are released and when admission offering is over, applicants will have the need to change their choices of institution or/and courses, it’s very normal. But I have to tell you that this is one of the very rampant but overlooked reasons why a lot of people lose their admission—especially when it has to do with OAU. Read me right please, changing your choices of course within OAU is not a problem at all, it only becomes a problem when you do the changing of course at a wrong time; and there are so many wrong times to change your course if you are aspiring to be offered an admission in OAU. READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE HERE>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2020/10/when-you-have-changed-your-choice-of.html

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 12:44pm On May 09, 2023
Admission Processing to OAU: What’s it going to Look like this Year?
If there are schools at all where you can pass the screenings and just go relax at home waiting for admission, OAU is certainly not one of those schools. This is not to say the admission processes are not credible enough or merit-based, but don’t be too trusting in any government institution that you don’t assume there are always human forces moving special files around so that they can get special attentions; these things happen everywhere and on everything—OAU’s admission processes not exempted. OAU is a very competitive school, it’s at least 100,000 of applicants per year trying to get in and only about 10,000 to 15,000 of them get admitted eventually. The rest are either screened out by exams or screened out by lack of information, misinformation or inactions if they passed all the exams and have the departmental cut-off. This year’s admission would not be any less competitive. The highly competitive departments like Medicine and Surgery, Nursing, Pharmacy, Law, Accounting, and Computer Science would not be any less competitive too. In fact, it would be said again that what determines who gets what is determined by merit, but we all know this system is not that merit-based; there would be candidates who have all the scores and documents and should merit the admission but they would not get admitted, meanwhile there would be candidates who would score 10 to 20 marks below the cut-off and still somehow get admitted, that’s the power of slots (if you know, you know). CONTINUE READING HERE>>>>https://www.pecngr.com/2023/05/admission-processing-to-oau-whats-it.html

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 12:48pm On May 11, 2023
Secrets Behind Admission Processing to Competitive Departments in OAU
I must clearly state that this write-up does not intend to argue that OAU’s admission processes are not merit-based, neither is it saying someone who scores what they need to score in the screenings would not get their admission easily; all I am trying to do with this write-up is to point out that there are always many candidates who would have high scores in all the screenings and still end up not getting admitted—especially the candidates aspiring the highly competitive courses like: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Dentistry, Med. Rehab., Law, Accounting and Computer Science. Candidates aspiring these courses are always too much that even after the departmental cut-offs are released the qualified candidates would still be more than what the departments can admit; it becomes a race of who knows who. CONTINUE READING>>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2023/05/secrets-behind-admission-processing-to.html

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 12:26pm On May 15, 2023
When is OAU Post-UTME?
One of the most asked questions amongst OAU UTME and DE aspirants at this time is the question of when OAU is going to be conducting their Post-UTME screening. This is because the competition is obviously high as usual, and lagging behind could make anyone miss their chances of getting admitted. People who are not used to OAU and people who don’t have anyone around OAU to give them the vital information needed may be found lagging behind in one way or the other; people like this could be learning about the Post-UTME just when it’s one week to the exam or even when they have already written the exam. People like this may not know there is a Post-UTME study pack they are supposed to buy and use to prepare for the exam, if they know about this pack they may not know where to get one. Some people would write the exam, go home and not hear anything again until all admission processes are over; they would come to school much later only to see “ADMISSION IS OVER” on every door. All these can be caused by lack of information, late information or misinformation. This is why as early as after UTME results are out, every serious OAU aspirants and their parents would already be on the lookout for every information and connection they may need. CONTINUE READING HERE>>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2023/05/when-is-oau-post-utme.html

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University: Cool Facts About OAU by PECng: 9:06am On Aug 21, 2023
Important Information on OAU’s 2023/2024 UTME/DE Admissions
For the 2023/2024 admission session, I want to discuss one situation that would make so many OAU aspirants not get admitted this year even when their scores are good enough to qualify for a university admission. The Post-UTME is fast-approaching, in fact the registration for it is currently going on, but many people who have chosen OAU as their first choice and have scored at least 200 in the UTME as the school requires do not know that this year’s OAU admission race is not the race to enter with the average points; this year’s admission race is strictly for people who have—as par what they have applied for—scored crazily high in their O/Levels, UTME, and consequently in their Post-UTME, or they have not scored really high but they know people. The reason for this is that OAU is only admitting 40% of their admission quota from the 2023/2024 applicants, they have admitted 60% of the quota from the 2022/2023 applicants. I hope you understand this is not me saying OAU is only admitting 40% of the 2023/2024 applicants? Because this is me actually saying OAU has their quota—as directed by NUC—which they should admit per one academic session, and because OAU needs to merge the 2022/2023 and the 2023/2024 applicants together in one academic session. Like I said, they have admitted 60% of the quota from the 2022/2023 admission session, and the 60% from 2022/2023 admission session and the 40% from the 2023/2024 admission session are to resume together in October 2023 for the 2023/2024 academic session. Are you seeing why the 2023/2024 admission selection process is going to be a war? You must score very high or have the longest legs to be part of the 40%. CONTINUE READING HERE>>>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2023/08/important-information-on-oaus-20232024.html

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between NHIS And HMO? / Jokes about School and Education / Military School Experiences! Ex-jam/ex-boys! Share Your Experiences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.