Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,162 members, 7,825,635 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics (49345 Views)

₦2,290 Car Sold In Nigeria In 1974 (Throwback Photo) / These Amazing Art Pieces Were Created From Salvaged Vintage Car Parts / Made In Nigeria: The Unexplored Vintage Car Industry (documentary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by Houseofglam7(f): 12:51pm On Mar 10, 2019
Long live the 'immortal' queen!
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by naptu2: 1:02pm On Mar 10, 2019
AutoReportNG Techwriter Depot phoenix90

1) Queen Elizabeth's Rolls Royce in Lagos.

2) Queen Elizabeth's Rolls Royce in Northern Nigeria (you can see that it's a different car). This is the Emir of Kano's Rolls Royce.

3) The Rolls Royce in the Emir of Kano's fleet (he has a lot).

This Rolls Royce was taken to the UK for restoration by a famous Rolls Royce restorer in 2009. There are a lot of Rolls Royces in the Emir's palace, but this is their most precious possession because

(1) There's only one of it in the world (it was designed by eccentric billionaire Nubar Gulbenkian).

2) It was one of the last things that Emir Abdullahi Bayero bought before he died (he died before he could use it).

3) It conveyed the Queen in 1956.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by rummmy: 1:06pm On Mar 10, 2019
agbarisocket:
OHANAEZE IGWE.has never and he can never see this kind of car in his villagers..local man
i thought your Muhammad used camel and anything western is Haram? Hypocrites

1 Like

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by AutoReportNG: 1:19pm On Mar 10, 2019
naptu2:
AutoReportNG Techwriter Depot

1) Queen Elizabeth's Rolls Royce in Lagos.

2) Queen Elizabeth's Rolls Royce in Northern Nigeria (you can see that it's a different car). This is the Emir of Kano's Rolls Royce.

3) The Rolls Royce in the Emir of Kano's fleet (he has a lot).

This Rolls Royce was taken to the UK for restoration by a famous Rolls Royce restorer in 2009. There are a lot of Rolls Royces in the Emir's palace, but this is their most precious possession because

(1) There's only one of it in the world (it was designed by eccentric billionaire Nubar Gulbenkian).

2) It was one of the last things that Emir Usman Nagogo bought before he died (he died before he could use it).

3) It conveyed the Queen in 1956.

My oga, thanks for your input... I always look forward to reading your well research and robust input.

Meanwhile, pls do you have images of the Nigeria's Presidential Fleet? I saw a thread you did some years back but I can't get them again... Pls, if you have them, biko PM me

Thanks
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by naptu2: 1:32pm On Mar 10, 2019
AutoReportNG:

My oga, thanks for your input... I always look forward to reading your well research and robust input.

Meanwhile, pls do you have images of the Nigeria's Presidential Fleet? I saw a thread you did some years back but I can't get them again... Pls, if you have them, biko PM me

Thanks

Ok. I'll find a way to get them to you.
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by AutoReportNG: 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2019
naptu2:

Ok. I'll find a way to get them to you.

Thanks, you can reach me via the email on my signature.

Thanks alot...

Regards
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by phoenix90(m): 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2019
That car belongs to Sir Louis Ojukwu, it is still parked in his commercial building at Apapa. The sad news is that it rusting and decaying without care. Go see it for yourself at 1/3 creek road Apapa. Nnewi building
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by naptu2: 2:04pm On Mar 10, 2019
Video.

Queen Elizabeth arrives the Emir of Kano's palace in the Emir's Rolls Royce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ymKBWGREh0

Video.

The Queen in Lagos. You can see that this is a different Rolls Royce (the Royal Rolls Royce).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pC_aKoUias

A man who was a British colonial officer at the time, wrote in his memoirs that the car should have been driven by the Governor-General's driver, but, probably because of racism, they didn't allow him to drive the car (the Governor-General's driver was Nigerian).

He also said that, probably because of the colonial officer's deep trust in "British engineering", they got the chief engineer of the colony to drive the car.

He said that, in his opinion, the Queen probably would have been better able to fix the car than the chief engineer (the Queen trained as a mechanic during the Second World War). In any case, the car broke down (I can't remember if he said that it broke down in Warri or Port Harcourt).
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by Ishilove: 2:35pm On Mar 10, 2019
naptu2:
Nubar Gulbenkian's Rolls Royce
Who the f**k is Nuben Gukbemkiar

1 Like

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by Ishilove: 2:45pm On Mar 10, 2019
naptu2:

The Queen in Lagos. You can see that this is a different Rolls Royce (the Royal Rolls Royce).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pC_aKoUias

The narrator is very cheeky. Did he have to mention Chief Adeniji Adele has 5 wives and 25 children? cheesy

The ending is very amusing. "Well, did I do it right?" grin

1 Like

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by naptu2: 2:49pm On Mar 10, 2019
Ishilove:

Who the f**k is Nuben Gukbemkiar

A crazy billionaire.

His father made billions from the oil industry (Nuba also made his own money from the oil industry, apart from the money he inherited from his father).

He worked in his father's company when he was younger and developed the habit of ordering expensive lunch and charging his father's company for it. His father found out and was angry and scolded/punished him for it. In reply he sued his father for $10 million. It cost both of them around $60,000 to pursue the case in court (his father eventually paid the costs). Nuba said that it was probably the most expensive chicken lunch in the world.

He undertook spying missions for Britain during World War 2 (he did it because he was bored).

He absolutely loved Rolls Royces and he designed several unusually shaped Rolls Royces that were built for him. The Rolls Royce company did not like a lot of his designs, but they couldn't do anything about it.

Gulbenkian once said that one of the advantages of his cars is that they are so odd that people always remember them and they always stand out. So when he comes out of an event, people are already telling him where his car is and he doesn't have to look for it.

He designed this car and sold it to the Emir of Kano shortly after it was delivered to him

Below: Nubar Gulbenkian

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by Ishilove: 2:56pm On Mar 10, 2019
naptu2:

A crazy billionaire.

His father made billions from the oil industry (Nuba also made his own money from the oil industry, apart from the money he inherited from his father).

He worked in his father's company when he was younger and developed the habit of ordering expensive lunch and charging his father's company for it. His father found out and was angry and scolded/punished him for it. In reply he sued his father for $10 million. It cost both of them around $60,000 to pursue the case in court (his father eventually paid the costs). Nuba said that it was probably the most expensive chicken lunch in the world.

He undertook spying missions for Britain during World War 2 (he did it because he was bored).

He absolutely loved Rolls Royces and he designed several unusually shaped Rolls Royces that were built for him. The Rolls Royce company did not like a lot of his designs, but they couldn't do anything about it.

Gulbenkian once said that one of the advantages of his cars is that they are so odd that people always remember them and they always stand out. So when he comes out of an event, people are already telling him where his car is and he doesn't have to look for it.

He designed this car and sold it to the Emir of Kano shortly after it was delivered to him

There's no picture attached, honey.

Crazy dude he was. Crazy, but creative.
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by naptu2: 3:00pm On Mar 10, 2019
Ishilove:

There's no picture attached, honey.

Crazy dude he was. Crazy, but creative.

I had problems attaching the pictures. Check the post again, they are there now.
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by johnie: 3:48pm On Mar 10, 2019
naptu2:

Picture 4:

The practice of leg-bending by women taking photographs did not start recently, contrary to what some think.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by topflight2018: 3:50pm On Mar 10, 2019
the IBO's and the lazy south south always says the north will die of hunger if we don't be oil imaging this kind of flight from an emir. my question is were did they get money buy DAT kind motor
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by IMAliyu(m): 4:00pm On Mar 10, 2019
senatepresido:
Northerners spending our wealth anyhow
It's the wealth his forefathers accumulated. What is the point of money if not to spend it?
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by salutaryastute: 4:00pm On Mar 10, 2019
Still managing my papa inherited 1982 bluebird. super mario bros online.
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by IMAliyu(m): 4:06pm On Mar 10, 2019
rummmy:
i thought your Muhammad used camel and anything western is Haram? Hypocrites
You just can't help yourself can you?

1 Like

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by Ishilove: 4:16pm On Mar 10, 2019
johnie:

Picture 4:

The practice of leg-bending by women taking photographs did not start recently, contrary to what some think.
This is not leg bending. This is k-legging
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by naptu2: 4:20pm On Mar 10, 2019
Ishilove:

I forgot to include one of the crazy things that he said.

Look at the car in the 3rd picture above. It looks like an old coach, right? The passenger compartment is covered, while the driver's compartment is out in the open.

Gulbenkian said that he designed it that way because he never knows if he is dry except when he is looking at somebody that is wet. (So he designed it that way so that the driver will be wet and then he'll know that he is dry).
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by Ishilove: 4:20pm On Mar 10, 2019
naptu2:

I had problems attaching the pictures. Check the post again, they are there now.
Okay, seen it.
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by Ishilove: 4:34pm On Mar 10, 2019
naptu2:

I forgot to include one of the crazy things that he said.

Look at the car in the 3rd picture above. It looks like an old coach, right? The passenger compartment is covered, while the driver's compartment is out in the open.

Gulbenkian said that he designed it that way because he never knows if he is dry except when he is looking at somebody that is wet. (So he designed it that way so that the driver will be wet and then he'll know that he is dry).
LMAO! The person wey born this one really born pikin
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by Lorst(m): 4:54pm On Mar 10, 2019
Dozie32:
Still managing my papa inherited 1982 bluebird.

You are a good son.And I pray your son inherits it from you too (even though he does not drives it,but just as a "collection"wink as a family heirloom.

1 Like

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by frozen70(f): 5:38pm On Mar 10, 2019
agbarisocket:
OHANAEZE IGWE.has never and he can never see this kind of car in his villagers..local man

The ohaneze's and igwe don't live on borrowed items

They struggle for it and acquire it

They the ibos, are hard working and goal getters.
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by johnie: 6:12pm On Mar 10, 2019
Ishilove:

cheesy

1 Like

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by TumblrGyal(f): 8:28am On Mar 11, 2019
Can't beat a Classic
Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by Ardeboye(m): 10:39pm On Mar 11, 2019
AutoReportNG:
[img]https://4.bp..com/-3UVHw7ilqRk/XIQ-YPWJwOI/AAAAAAAAY8s/s0AT7srfg7o0561-9LjKWEO6KhJ4xeWkwCLcBGAs/s1600/53391182_1922624604533995_3784543448284004352_n.jpg[/img]

Talk about vintage cars, cars that buy some luxury cars then you may likely mention Rolls Royce.

Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is a lover of vintage cars. According to reports, he is said to have vintage cars in his garage to cost about 2 billion naira in value. These sets of cars are passed to him by his father who loves and buys them during his lifetime.

Not many people know that Emir of Kano's 1952 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith is the ONLY Silver Wraith in the world customized with unique elliptical, grasshopper eye-like headlamps with dual beam reflectors. An account has it that three of them (for Sultan of Sokoto and Emirs of Kano and Katsina) were bought by the Native Authority for Queen Elizabeth's 1956 visit to Nigeria.

[img]https://4.bp..com/-5BOF2E08WRM/XIQ-YNFbO-I/AAAAAAAAY8w/jeMSeGpRfHsdqnjiXAP9Z9fMqHlSlU3PACLcBGAs/s1600/53435214_1922624621200660_991050324728872960_n.jpg[/img]

This customized edition, which is the only surviving one among the said three, was sent to Kano for the Queen's visit. After the Queen's visit, the car was added to the fleet of the then emir, Muhammadu Sanusi (the grandfather of the present emir). In a strange twist, the car was seized from the emirate fleet and taken to Government House after deposition of the emir in April 1963.

Military governors of Kano State, CP Audu Bako and Col. Sani Bello as well as the first civilian governor of the state, Muhammadu Abubakar Rimi, all used the car during ceremonies. When Sabo Bakinzuwo was elected governor in 1983, he returned the car to the emirate, arguing that the car suited the Royals more than the politicians.

In 2005, during the reign of Emir Ado Bayero, the car was air-freighted to England and fully restored at the cost of 50,000 pounds.

A look at the engine shows that it has a straight six-cylinder postwar engine, which had been briefly made for the aborted by war Bentley Mark V, replaced conventional overhead valve gear with an F-head configuration of overhead inlet valves and side exhaust valves and reshaped combustion chambers. There were new main and big-end bearings and a more efficient drive to the timing gear. To this prewar mix, Rolls-Royce added chromed bores.

Initially, this engine retained the Mark V's capacity of 4,257 cc (259.8 cu in) increased from 1951 to 4,566 cc (278.6 cu in) and in 1955, after the introduction of the (standard wheelbase) Silver Cloud, to 4,887 cc (298.2 cu in) for the remaining Silver Wraiths. It has a capacity of 4,566 cc; from 1954 bore x stroke 95.25 x 114.3 mm (3 3/4 x 4 1/2 in), capacity 4,887 cc); cast iron cylinder block, aluminium alloy cylinder head, Stromberg carburettor (from 1951 Zenith carburettor, from 1956 twin SU carburettors); single dry plate clutch; 4-speed gearbox (from 1952 4-speed automatic gearbox optional), hypoid bevel final drive, independent front suspension with coil springs, semi-elliptic springs rear; drum brakes servo-assisted; wheelbase 3,225.8 mm (127 in)(from 1951 wheelbase 3,378.2 mm (133 in); tyre size 6.50 x 17 (from 1951 tyre size 6.50 x 16, for export cars tyre size 7.50 x 16 optional, for long wheelbase cars standard).

These are some of the images...

[img]https://1.bp..com/-hjDSrr9_wB8/XIQ-Xmss1II/AAAAAAAAY8o/oBzppwedjVUe_modHJVz9frmR67D7x9jgCLcBGAs/s1600/53311875_1922624781200644_1613312754305728512_n.jpg[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-EYxogI1k69M/XIQ-YoOzTGI/AAAAAAAAY80/Ellmslrj-c4MBIiDT1meDtzT8502BUt1ACLcBGAs/s1600/53509569_1922624751200647_6306005236074938368_n.jpg[/img]

[img]https://2.bp..com/-kDFHYe4vl6c/XIRAsP9M3AI/AAAAAAAAY9M/bEHQa5z1EpkOCUZBOzOZ0RKjbtaChYq1gCLcBGAs/s1600/Inter.jpg[/img]

Credit:
Jaafar!

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/03/see-vintage-car-queen-elizabeth-rode.html

Re: See The Vintage Car Queen Elizabeth Rode When She Visited Nigeria In 1956 - Pics by sexygullet(f): 7:42pm On Mar 13, 2019
Gettin mine asap....lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? / WARNING!!! Don't Put Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car (Video) / 2020 4th Generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport SUV Launched In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.