Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,050 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections (452 Views)

Wike: PDP Must Challenge Defections Of Ayade, Umahi In Court / 2019: Why I’m Not Bothered About Defections – Buhari / Defections: The Drama, The Facts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections by UncleJudax(m): 11:03am On Mar 10, 2019
As much as I don't hinge my plans on a working "Nigeria", I will continue to engage in discourses that promote common sense and sanity.

I have learned that the position of the constitution with respect to the defection of elected public officials is automatical loss of status quo.

However, since the politicians will never take the honourable path, why do parties shy away from challenging this in court?
Re: Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections by MrRichmond: 11:04am On Mar 10, 2019
Because they don't have any true political ideology.
Nigerian politics hasn't matured to that level yet.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections by yarimo(m): 11:48am On Mar 10, 2019
UncleJudax:
As much as I don't hinge my plans on a working "Nigeria", I will continue to engage in discourses that promote common sense and sanity.

I have learned that the position of the constitution with respect to the defection of elected public officials is automatical loss of status quo.

However, since the politicians will never take the honourable path, why do parties shy away from challenging this in court?

because there is a section in the constitution that says, if there is division in the party a candidate can defeat to another party without losing his seat. TAMBUWAL vs PDP. When TAMBUWAL defeat to APC, PDP went to court to challenge his position as speaker but lost to APC why? Because TAMBUWAL claim their was division in the party that is NPDP

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections by UncleJudax(m): 12:13pm On Mar 10, 2019
yarimo:
because there is a section in the constitution that says, if there is division in the party a candidate can defeat to another party without losing his seat. TAMBUWAL vs PDP. When TAMBUWAL defeat to APC, PDP went to court to challenge his position as speaker but lost to APC why? Because TAMBUWAL claim their was division in the party that is NPDP
Challenging his speakership is different. He was elected on the platform of a party and the position of the court is that a party owns the seat. The party ought to have challenged his position as a rep member.

Having said that, people are defecting with reckless abandon, with no division whatsoever.

It is not healthy. Politicians don't want to adhere to and/or implement party's manifesto since they can wake up and move to a new party, where they would not be questioned.

See what Amaechi is trying to do in Rivers. Help an AAC candidate to win and then he defects to APC.

If the parties are as useless as all other institutions in the country, then we are just running in circles.

It has become an eyesore. Insult to reasonable minds.
Re: Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections by UncleJudax(m): 12:17pm On Mar 10, 2019
MrRichmond:
Because they don't have any true political ideology.
Nigerian politics hasn't matured to that level yet.
This is beyond ideology. The court has established that any political seat belongs to the party that presented the politician.

So, by default, if you leave the party, you leave the position.

We can only develop this so called nascent democracy by challenging the excesses of politicians.
Re: Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections by yarimo(m): 12:55pm On Mar 10, 2019
UncleJudax:

Challenging his speakership is different. He was elected on the platform of a party and the position of the court is that a party owns the seat. The party ought to have challenged his position as a rep member.

Having said that, people are defecting with reckless abandon, with no division whatsoever.

It is not healthy. Politicians don't want to adhere to and/or implement party's manifesto since they can wake up and move to a new party, where they would not be questioned.

See what Amaechi is trying to do in Rivers. Help an AAC candidate to win and then he defects to APC.

If the parties are as useless as all other institutions in the country, then we are just running in circles.

It has become an eyesore. Insult to reasonable minds.
but the problem is from the constitution. There is section that says a candidate who defeat from the party that he was elected from will lose his seat, and the same constitution in another chapter says if there is division in the party a candidate can defeat without losing his seat. Now what nigerians politicians do is, they will sponsored some groups of people to create division so that they can defeat to another party .
Re: Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections by UncleJudax(m): 1:07pm On Mar 10, 2019
yarimo:
but the problem is from the constitution. There is section that says a candidate who defeat from the party that he was elected from will lose his seat, and the same constitution in another chapter says if there is division in the party a candidate can defeat without losing his seat. Now what nigerians politicians do is, they will sponsored some groups of people to create division so that they can defeat to another party .
I understand your position. But there are many defections where there was no division.

We don't have to lump all of them together.
Re: Why Don't Political Parties Challenge Defections by yarimo(m): 1:08pm On Mar 10, 2019
UncleJudax:

I understand your position. But there are many defections where there was no division.

We don't have to lump all of them together.
you are absolutely right

(1) (Reply)

Man Calls Out Enugu APC Guber Candidate Sen. Ayogu Eze For Boycotting Election. / JUST IN: Buhari Launches Pension Plan For Self-employed Nigerians / 2019 Arm Award Recognise Hon. Suleiman Wambai, Dino Melaye, Oba Adetola King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.