Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,462 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

The Concept Of God Is Absurd - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Concept Of God Is Absurd (3804 Views)

What's The Most Absurd Thing You Heard Someone Did Because Of Christmas?(Photos) / The Concept Of SIN: Islam Versus Christianity / Satan Is Absurd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by Zither(m): 10:00pm On Mar 12, 2019
TheArranger:

What if i don't want to worship him? Why is there a punishment attached to not worshipping him?

That is where you get it wrong. There is no punishment attached to refusing to worship God. It is not written in the Bible. When a person's spirit is dead, and the person dies physically in that state, he will spend his eternity without Christ, and the only spiritually dead place where a spiritually dead person may dwell is hell. It is not punishment for refusing to worship God, it is the culmination of one's desire to live apart from the Presence of God, and the absence of God is spiritual death.

It was a response to another user. You can see you're not the only one i quoted in my last post

I see that now.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by UyiIredia(m): 10:01pm On Mar 12, 2019
NnennaG6:

You people haven't demonstrated that a perfect being can only act from need.

Mechonu there.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by Nobody: 10:02pm On Mar 12, 2019
NnennaG6:

This is easily obviated with the plausible presupposition that the total goodness of the world is a sum rather than an average.
That isn't really how goodness works though. Auschwitz wasn't good because there was some good there. It would have been better if it did not exist at all.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by johnydon22(m): 10:03pm On Mar 12, 2019
UyiIredia:

Mechonu there.
Hahahaha guy calm down.

NnennaG6 is a very brilliant person and she stays in Enugu too, i am dying to discuss with her in person.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by UyiIredia(m): 10:04pm On Mar 12, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

Man became god the moment after eating the fruit. Hate filled the vacuum, after the departure and/or absence of love. Evil filled the vacuum, after the departure and/or absence of good. Harshness proceeded and emanated because the ground was cursed due to man. There is no evil in God's Nature.

Your Christianity never ceases to amaze me. How does evil exist if it is not part of God's Nature?
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by UyiIredia(m): 10:05pm On Mar 12, 2019
johnydon22:
Hahahaha guy calm down.

NnennaG6 is a very brilliant person and she stays in Enugu too, i am dying to discuss with her in person.

She is brilliant but I no too gbadun her style. In any case nothing wrong with what I wrote. You sef understand.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by budaatum: 10:08pm On Mar 12, 2019
UyiIredia:

I don't understand the need to create God in an image. God is immaterial.
An image, an idea of, a thing as a concept, materialised. If God is "immaterial" why have we bothered to create images of it?
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by MuttleyLaff: 10:10pm On Mar 12, 2019
UyiIredia:
Your Christianity never ceases to amaze me. How does evil exist if it is not part of God's Nature?
I just knew before posting my comment, when staring at how to conspicuously put it as "God's Nature" that you would try and plan to slant it. Anyway and fyi, intrinsically, there is no evil in God.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by UyiIredia(m): 10:10pm On Mar 12, 2019
budaatum:

An image, an idea of, a thing as a concept, materialised. If God is "immaterial" why have we bothered to create images of it?

People feel a strong need to materialise something even if it's not there. But why the quotes? Don't you think God is immaterial?
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by UyiIredia(m): 10:11pm On Mar 12, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I knew before posting my comment, when staring at how to conspicuously put it as "God's Nature" that you would try and plan to slant it. Anyway and fyi, intrinsically, there is no evil in God.

Then there cannot be evil in the world God created. Otan!
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by NnennaG6(f): 10:12pm On Mar 12, 2019
johnydon22:
LOL. Acting out of love is also an expression of need. Need to express love.

primarily all actions falls down to a need.

For something to create anything, there must be at least a need to create, a desire to create. that is the point.

A creator who doesn't have a desire to create, won't.

a creator who does have a desire to create therefore has a need to satisfy this desire.

So, for the fact that this universe exists is incompatible with the idea that we are created by a creator who doesn't have a desire to create.
Perfection is an absolute, not a ratio. More creation is more good. Things are good inasmuch as they are perfected, and things are perfected inasmuch as they are actual. More actuality means more perfections, which are what goodness is. Remember, there was no perfect universe before creation, because the universe is what was created.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by budaatum: 10:12pm On Mar 12, 2019
Maxi3k:
I think gods are created in the minds of desperate individuals
And in some very intelligent individuals' minds too.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by NnennaG6(f): 10:13pm On Mar 12, 2019
IAmSabrina:

That isn't really how goodness works though. Auschwitz wasn't good because there was some good there. It would have been better if it did not exist at all.
Unlike Auschwitz, there are many things whose existence is more good than bad, with the implication that it's better for them to exist than not to exist. Hence their existence improves the world.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by Nobody: 10:17pm On Mar 12, 2019
NnennaG6:

Unlike Auschwitz, there are many things whose existence is more good than bad, with the implication that it's better for them to exist than not to exist. Hence their existence improves the world.
"More good than bad" implies you're taking an overall average of some situation, which is what you just said I shouldn't do undecided
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by MuttleyLaff: 10:19pm On Mar 12, 2019
UyiIredia:
Then there cannot be evil in the world God created. Otan!
Why wouldnt or couldnt there. Evil, afterall, is the absence of good. Similar manner, darkness is the absence of light. There really isnt darkness, it is just an absence of light. So, evil is the absence and/or departure of the God factor

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by NnennaG6(f): 10:21pm On Mar 12, 2019
IAmSabrina:

"More good than bad" implies you're taking an overall average of some situation, which is what you just said I shouldn't do undecided
No, it implies that the world is a better place because of its existence. If something is generally good in spite of some imperfections, then it still contributes positively to the world. And how good or bad the world is depends (I'm suggesting) on the sum of what exists.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by UyiIredia(m): 10:22pm On Mar 12, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Why wouldnt or couldnt there. Evil, afterall, is the absence of good. Similar manner, darkness is the absence of light. There really isnt darkness, it is just an absence of light. So, evil is the absence and/or departure of the God factor

There is no evil in God. That is why evil doesn't exist in God's creation.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by MuttleyLaff: 10:25pm On Mar 12, 2019
UyiIredia:
There is no evil in God. That is why evil doesn't exist in God's creation.
Who is Satan? Whose creation is Satan?

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by Nobody: 10:26pm On Mar 12, 2019
NnennaG6:

No, it implies that the world is a better place because of its existence. If something is generally good in spite of some imperfections, then it still contributes positively to the world. And how good or bad the world is depends (I'm suggesting) on the sum of what exists.
I'm sorry, I don't understand how something can be generally good when it is literally infinitely worse than God.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by budaatum: 10:28pm On Mar 12, 2019
UyiIredia:

People feel a strong need to materialise something even if it's not there. But why the quotes? Don't you think God is immaterial?
The quotes were to convey a message I knew you would recognise which is, in which way do you mean immaterial. It's a long word afterall, long enough for us to misunderstand what is meant.

Did you mean immaterial, as in not physical nor formed of matter for instance, or as irrelevant, not worth considering and unimportant?

People always materialise what is not there. Its the creativity that's in us. A creativity we are so much ignorant about that some wrap it up in an image called God for want of a better name.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by NnennaG6(f): 10:30pm On Mar 12, 2019
IAmSabrina:

I'm sorry, I don't understand how something can be generally good when it is literally infinitely worse than God.
"I don't see how an integer can be positive when it's infinitely less than an infinite quantity."
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 12, 2019
NnennaG6:

"I don't see how an integer can be positive when it's infinitely less than an infinite quantity."
Touché.

I withdraw my argument

[img]https://media1./images/907a3331ada8447b63b9d724745f93dd/tenor.gif[/img]

2 Likes

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by Zither(m): 10:53pm On Mar 12, 2019
johnydon22:
Whom exactly is such demonstration meant for?

Aren't you implying a need for self validation here?

If I tended a rose garden for the love of rose flowers would I be pursuing self-validation?

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by bloodofthelamb(m): 11:32pm On Mar 12, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power:
for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
"
- Revelation 4:11

Bro muttleylaff, how does pleasure and worship correlate? The truth is that we will freely and willing worship and honour Him when we realize how beautifully and wonderfully He made us in love.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by johnydon22(m): 11:38pm On Mar 12, 2019
Zither:

If I tended a rose garden for the love of rose flowers would I be pursuing self-validation?
Nope, you are tending to a need to express that love.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by bloodofthelamb(m): 11:38pm On Mar 12, 2019
johnydon22:
He has a need to create then he literally has a need then.

Is it necessary that I must have a need to express who I am?

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by johnydon22(m): 11:39pm On Mar 12, 2019
bloodofthelamb:

Is it necessary that I must have a need to express who I am?
Yes, a need to express who you are.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by bloodofthelamb(m): 11:45pm On Mar 12, 2019
johnydon22:
Yes, a need to express who you are.

No, I am just living. I am good to you, because that is who I am. I have no need to be good to you. I am just being myself to you.

I see no need here.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by Originakalokalo(m): 11:49pm On Mar 12, 2019
TheArranger:
The creative process seems inexorably tied to needs. This process surges as a result of the need to survive, compete or for expression. (It can also happen by accident...)

An omni-x being, or God, by definition has no needs. One might argue that creating would go against his nature. From the Abrahamic standpoint, why would said beings create inferior beings to worship him?

One could attempt an argument as follows:

1. An omni-x being has no needs or reason to create anything

2. An omni-x being would simply be.

3. The universe exists.

4. Therefore, if the universe was created, the author was an entity with a need. (Or created it by accident...)

This conclusion would point to a being quite different from the omni-x God theists describe.

In fact, this omni-x God seems like a classic post hoc explanation for a reality we find difficult to explain.

What do you think?

OK.
Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by budaatum: 3:38am On Mar 13, 2019
bloodofthelamb:

No, I am just living. I am good to you, because that is who I am. I have no need to be good to you. I am just being myself to you.

I see no need here.
You will not be good without a reason! It's just way too much work to do for nothing. And claiming "you are just being yourself" makes you sound as if you are just naturally good to me, like born to be good, which is unlikely. The truth more likely being that if you truly are as effortlessly good to me as you say you are, it would have taken you a lot of effort and practice and learning through the years to become so good. And to do so much work to be so good you must be fulfilling a need. And that need cannot be "no need".

I put it to you to consider that, in your, "just living", "just being myself", being "good to you", and being the "I am", you are fulfilling a need but might be unaware of the need you are fulfilling.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by Zither(m): 6:35am On Mar 13, 2019
johnydon22:
Nope, you are tending to a need to express that love.

Are you implying that an act of will is a function of need?

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of God Is Absurd by MuttleyLaff: 7:48am On Mar 13, 2019
GoodMuyis:
I Love this line, it fits into the subject of infinite regression
How do you mean this, please explain in clear and convincing terms how

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name / Promised Land (land Of Canaan) Is Not Where You Think It Is / The Real Prophet Or Man Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.