Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? (7046 Views)

How Can I Start Cold Room (frozen Fish) Biz In Nigeria / Nairalander Tells Us If Your Making It From Any Online Biz In This Section / Transportation Biz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by ajerlcorp: 7:34pm On Sep 02, 2010
I'm trying to start a transportation biz in Lagos, but ALMOST everyone I speak to says “don't do it”. Reasons,  the drivers are no good. They lie about LASTMA all the time. They will give you excuses everyday. Police excuse today and VIO excuse tomorrow. They will not make their daily delivery as expected. Heck, one guy even said there are no good, honest and God fearing bus drivers anymore in Lagos. I'm finding it difficult to accept that i can't find a few good drivers for a few buses. As a naija in diaspora, I am trying hard not to allow this to stop me.

I beg, tell me,
Where and how can one find God fearing drivers? Or better still, what are the criteria for selecting a good driver.

Yes, I’m talking about Danfo bus drivers.
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Sep 02, 2010
You are just wasting your time,you better be more creative,of what use is your living in a developed world if you dont have ideas apart from this outdated business with stories on a daily basis.You may even go mad if they consult metal pysicians ,so that you can forget the buses.Unless you use another method ,which is knowing the overall chairman at the park.That his the person that will now hand over the buses to them,and you will paty commission or he will benefit from one of the buses,by that way you will get your money.But if you lack ideas,i can give you sha,but not in the open place,because sucessful businesses in nigeria are secretive and not for the public,so many people dont know what to do,so they do what everybody is doing.
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by ajerlcorp: 9:12pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ok oh, olas2u,  what is your big idea.  Please shoot me an email at ajerlcorp@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by Femson2011: 7:32pm On Sep 03, 2010
Hello JI,

I just want to give you an advice on this issue,if you really have interesting in this transportation business,because I belive that,this is the business you spirit wants you to do,try and focus on it,dont let anybody lead you to what your spirit doesnt demand from you,as someone told you to find a chairman of a garage to monitor it for you,it is a good idea,But a good chairman, ok

But what you need to do is that you need someone{MANAGER} to monitor this buses for you,because there is no God fearing driver in Nigeria cos of Nigeria Economy and other difficult things in Nigeria.

Because I discover that you dont even trust me.

Femi.

1 Like

Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by fullforce: 7:56pm On Sep 03, 2010
@ajerlcorp,

My fellow nairalander, transport business is very tantalizing but not with its own challenges, why don't you invest in haulage. For more details on how to reap harvest in haulage business quickly visit: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-379662.99999.html#bot. Then give me a call on 07026446990 or strikerealgold@gmail.com.

It is well!
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by femmy2010(m): 11:58pm On Sep 03, 2010
To make your anticipated profit from trans biz you need not take poo from drivers as the moment you pardon or sink in their fathom problems then trouble start and secondly give the vehicle out on hire purchase as that would make them a better driver due to his stake in the biz.
lastly,attach your bus to one of the transport union boss and you will be fine.Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by ajerlcorp: 2:00am On Sep 04, 2010
Like Femi said, I still think this is a good biz. I think it's even better than we think considering the new BAN of Okadas from major roads. I heard people have been trekking long distance since the ban went into effect.

@femmy2010
I know you wanted to start this biz at one time, did it ever happen?
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by maneasy: 8:40am On Sep 06, 2010
Hello brother,
If you don’t want to die before your time (which I pray for you ) or you don’t want to have high blood pressure due to no fault of yours , or you don’t want to be looking at your food on the table without eating it until you heard the horn of your vehicle / driver parking in front of your house, then shelve the idea,
I had been there before (twice) so I am talking from experience, nobody to advice me I was calculating the ROI thinking I have a man of God as the driver .
This is my cent
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by Fogman(m): 1:09pm On Sep 06, 2010
From experience, the best bet in this business, is to give it out on hire purchase and u are assured of geting your money plus abt 70% interest in 18 months time.
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by martog: 6:55pm On Sep 06, 2010
maneasy:

Hello brother,
If you don’t want to die before your time (which I pray for you ) or you don’t want to have high blood pressure due to no fault of yours , or you don’t want to be looking at your food on the table without eating it until you heard the horn of your vehicle / driver parking in front of your house, then shelve the idea,
I had been there before (twice) so I am talking from experience, nobody to advice me I was calculating the ROI thinking I have a man of God as the driver .
This is my cent

[/quot
That you tried and failed does not mean someone else can not succedd where you have failed. People should learn how to present their comments. Give the benefits and the challenges, and let the person make up his mind on what next to do.
My 50 kobo.
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by DisGuy: 11:50pm On Sep 06, 2010
olas2u:

You are just wasting your time,you better be more creative,of what use is your living in a developed world if you dont have ideas apart from this outdated business with stories on a daily basis.You may even go mad if they consult metal pysicians ,so that you can forget the buses.Unless you use another method ,which is knowing the overall chairman at the park.That his the person that will now hand over the buses to them,and you will paty commission or he will benefit from one of the buses,by that way you will get your money.But if you lack ideas,i can give you sha,but not in the open place,because sucessful businesses in nigeria are secretive and not for the public,so many people dont know what to do,so they do what everybody is doing.

you want to take advice from this babalawo guy lol successful business are secretive? are you an occultist ?
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by DisGuy: 11:57pm On Sep 06, 2010
OP

I hear about this problems and complaints too whenever someone comes up with an idea like this BUT i keep asking them why is it that there are still millions into the transport business if they are not making money?

Best bet i guess is to look for a driver that has been recommended by another person in the business but please expect these complaints as they are unavoidable especially in Lagos in the long term you will make money but its hard work

You can also try less stressful states outside Lagos or interstate

or give it to someone on hire purchase and get a lawyer/police to be your broker wink
you let him decide how much he can deliver weekly or monthly with no excuse, make sure you know his wife/children mother and father
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by ajerlcorp: 5:15pm On Sep 07, 2010
Hire purchase seems to be a popular choice.
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by etore: 3:51pm On Sep 08, 2010
I am a legal prac nd i can tell u that , when it comes to transport, its not a bad line to invest in, its a lucrative venture and like every business , the more the risk the more the profit, however if u must invest unless u have the capital to go the whole nine yards as to owning a fleet and loading space , let it be strictly on hire purchase basis.

the hire purchase mode is safer , so far majority of my clients that have negotiated hire purchase agreements , have not had any issues with their drivers, 10% deposit balance over a given period, 12-18 months, the beauty of hire purchase lies in the power of the owner to retrieve the subject matter at any stage of default regardless of how much has being paid.

secondly if u must get a driver, i recommend a married guy with kids, they tend to be more responsible apologies to the single ones, two guarantors one related by blood preferably older with landed property.

its actually good that u have decided to consult before taking a step, u will most likely make the best decision because u will have information, this is opposed to people who after making some bucks jump into a business with little or no  knowledge of what same entails, majority of such people will have nothing but discouraging tales for u.

etobore@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by toaspromo(m): 9:49am On Sep 09, 2010
there are no reliable drivers as of today to get one is by Devine luck i have tried it as well but i fumbled the only way you can succeed in this biz is to manage it all by your self if you try any driver you are at risk of loosing your bus,money and frequent experience hypertension why not try another biz that will give you peace of mind good luck
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by protocol(m): 11:46pm On Sep 09, 2010
if there are no honest drivers, then you hav to become the driver! these are things we do abroad but can not do them here!when i wanted to start my haulage, i made inquiries about drivers, i was discouraged by peoples coments. remember u cant serve two masters at the same time, then i droped my stock broking work where i was paid 90k montly. tank God i did that. i steped into the field!wen my mate prepare to go to work on the so called island with cheap jacket,slim ties and TM shirts, i dress on my jeans to tincan island apapa, thats where my own office day!! today, i own 3 trucks and still

counting

6 Likes

Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by DDMoses(m): 10:07am On Sep 18, 2010
Yap, transport biz is very good but also have its own risk, but the higher the risk the higher the return, I am a transport manager, i manage vehicle(bus) Faragon for people, the vehicle work for 6days and the owner will be paid 20k per week, but if it develop fault which the money is high i.e. more than 1000k, the owner will repair, so if you have interest you can put a call across to me on 08088155963 or 08166057910, engrdammy2001@yahoo.co.uk
goodluck
Prosperous yours
Oladele Damilola

1 Like

Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by zubike01(m): 9:01pm On Sep 20, 2010
Hey all this is a site that post Job vacancies from news papers enjoy www.nigerianvacancies.com [color=#000099][/color]
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by obamat: 5:05pm On Sep 22, 2010
@ajercop,
Any successful biz is as a result of the mind.
It depends on what you like to do and doing it.
I loved to be in transport and contacted people and asked for their own opinion but large number of people discouraged me not to do it.
But today, the condemned biz is the one am living on today.
transport biz is good but it depends on how you handle it. I started transport biz(taxi) in portharcourt last year with borrowed money but today I have 5 cars bought out of the returns of the first one and I manage 2 for a woman here in PH. Someone even called me from nairaland to invest with me which we are on it now.
I will not advice hire purchase because it did not pay me when i tried it
my control measure starts with buying a very neat cars, the car maintenance, my driver can not repair my car anywhere apart from my mechanic and I will not manage any part of the car all parts will be replace as at when due including tires, i buy new tires for all the vehicles. If you like the Biz try it and see but if it does not pay you withdraw immediately. All the best you can call for more info 08181668922, 08038100103

3 Likes

Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 29, 2010
@ protocol

you are my kind of guy. i have actually the same step as you did. do you think i could get your details-might need some heads-up from you. my email is mrizce@yahoo.com
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by meggyper: 1:17pm On Dec 13, 2010
Transport biz in Nigeria is wahala, you need to be here to monitor the business yourself otherwise your investment WILL go to shambles. Everyone needs to be controlled strictly, drivers by a manager, manager by you, spare parts buyer by you, repairs and mechanical faults of each truck by a manager and you, so you don't end up buying 10 times more spare parts at exorbitant prices, etc. The devil is in the details and many have failed because of them. We are still surviving smiley.

Anyway, I would invest in something I know a lot about. If you are into logistics anywhere in the world you are, just go for it.
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by Beulahores: 3:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
All of these inexperienced people just blabbing against transport business on Hire Purchase basis, I will advice you say what you know. tested and proven yourself. Your negative contributions out of ignorance can go a long way to kill a person's golden success instinct.

Who told you that an organised hire purchase business with ''pre-paid weekly or monthly legally binding agreements can fail any day any time?

You are to take my Bus for XX amount monthly for xx number of months.
You pay the first month XX amount out of your pocket on xx date before moving the bus a first time.
You are due for payment on same xx date next month. Failure with the bus is taken from you as signed.
You bring verifiable guarantors before deal can be sealed.... and other caveats.

1 Like

Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by jta2012(m): 6:04pm On Aug 02, 2014
Thanks u cannot be looking 4 honest drivers out there,bt u can be successful
in the biz if U-----
( 1 ) Ensure u have more than 1 vehicles

( 2) Make ur drivers partners n not workers

( 3 ) Employ a very good MOTOR PARKS SUPERVISOR

( 4 ) Engage in long distance runs

( 5 ) Use high capacity buses

( 6 ) Give ur vehicles to a transport logistics firms such as ABC,ITS, and other
transporter who can give leverage advantage not attainable with too few
vehicles.

Thanks
jtaconsulting,Lagos.
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by Tombrook0: 9:03am On May 23, 2015
[quote author=martog post=6708793][/quote]

pls can you help..I need a bus for hired purchased... am in akoka Lagos.... my number is 07061960316..Emmanuel my name
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by seun289(m): 12:15pm On Jan 22, 2016
protocol:
if there are no honest drivers, then you hav to become the driver! these are things we do abroad but can not do them here!when i wanted to start my haulage, i made inquiries about drivers, i was discouraged by peoples coments. remember u cant serve two masters at the same time, then i droped my stock broking work where i was paid 90k montly. tank God i did that. i steped into the field!wen my mate prepare to go to work on the so called island with cheap jacket,slim ties and TM shirts, i dress on my jeans to tincan island apapa, thats where my own office day!! today, i own 3 trucks and still counting. making about 800,000 montly without stories! yes is not easyooo but i like problems and the solution to it is always in the same problem,so u hav to find it.Now i give my guys in the office money for investment,bankers market me, insurance coys are begging me to insure my life etc. so bro, u can be the drivers!thinkoooo!

Good day sir,
Hope family&biz are all fine...am glad 2 have cum across ur idea on d haulage biz on NL
I have a VW transporter bus(14 seater) which I drive 2 & fro d island everyday and convey people in d process buh recently,derez bin sum hiccups @ my place of work and I intend usin my vehicle 2 convey materials frm one place 2 d other within lagos cos I had an opportunity 2 do such assignments 4 sum people last month and 2 be frank,I realised sum cool earings buh it wasn't on a constant flow. or kindly send me any of ur info so dat I can get in touch wit u...kindly reply asap
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by mrsage(m): 12:28pm On Jan 22, 2016
seun289:

Good day sir,
Hope family&biz are all fine...am glad 2 have cum across ur idea on d haulage biz on NL
I have a VW transporter bus(14 seater) which I drive 2 & fro d island everyday and convey people in d process buh recently,derez bin sum hiccups @ my place of work and I intend usin my vehicle 2 convey materials frm one place 2 d other within lagos cos I had an opportunity 2 do such assignments 4 sum people last month and 2 be frank,I realised sum cool earings buh it wasn't on a constant flow..
I do nid ur help,advise or connection on how u can help me so I can get such contact on a daily basis...07062212264 is my number,E-mail-seun289@yahoo.com or kindly send me any of ur info so dat I can get in touch wit u...kindly reply asap

You can basically market this service. Bus hire /cargo delivery.
You can market on olx. Com, Nairaland, jiji. ng, etc. Even facebook etc.
Then you can approach those Cargo / logistics companies along airport road /mafoluku. There are so many of them.
You can also visit Nahco and find out how it works.

1 Like

Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by seun289(m): 6:07pm On Jan 22, 2016
[quote author=mrsage post=42218092]

Then you can approach those Cargo / logistics companies along airport road /mafoluku. There are so many of them.

Ok..tank u very much
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by seun289(m): 10:17am On Feb 18, 2016
[quote author=mrsage post=42218092]

Gd day Boss,tanks 4 ur advice,I do appreciate...I tried 2 of d companies on mafoluku and up till dis very point I haven't heard a tin frm them...I wud b glad if u can link me wit a job dat I can lay my hands on so as 2 make ends meet
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by seun289(m): 10:19am On Feb 18, 2016
[quote author=mrsage post=42218092]Gd day Boss,tanks 4 ur advice,I do appreciate...I tried 2 of d companies on mafoluku and up till dis very point I haven't heard a tin frm them...I wud b glad if u can link me wit a job dat I can lay my hands on so as 2 make ends meet
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by millhouse: 6:38pm On Feb 18, 2016
My broda, been thinking of pulling the suit and entering haulage... What kind of trucks do u have in your fleet?
protocol:
if there are no honest drivers, then you hav to become the driver! these are things we do abroad but can not do them here!when i wanted to start my haulage, i made inquiries about drivers, i was discouraged by peoples coments. remember u cant serve two masters at the same time, then i droped my stock broking work where i was paid 90k montly. tank God i did that. i steped into the field!wen my mate prepare to go to work on the so called island with cheap jacket,slim ties and TM shirts, i dress on my jeans to tincan island apapa, thats where my own office day!! today, i own 3 trucks and still counting. making about 800,000 montly without stories! yes is not easyooo but i like problems and the solution to it is always in the same problem,so u hav to find it.Now i give my guys in the office money for investment,bankers market me, insurance coys are begging me to insure my life etc. so bro, u can be the drivers!thinkoooo!
Re: Transportation Biz In Lagos -- Are there anymore honest drivers? by millhouse: 6:48pm On Feb 18, 2016
[quote author=protocol post=6728466]if there are no honest drivers, then you hav to become the driver! these are things we do abroad but can not do them here!when i wanted to start my haulage, i made inquiries about drivers, i was discouraged by peoples coments. remember u cant serve two masters at the same time, then i droped my stock broking work where i was paid 90k montly. tank God i did that. i steped into the field!wen my mate prepare to go to work on the so called island with cheap jacket,slim ties and TM shirts, i dress on my jeans to tincan island apapa, thats where my own office day!! today, i own 3 trucks and still counting. making about 800,000 montly without stories! yes is not easyooo but i like problems and the solution to it is always in the same problem,so u hav to find it.Now i give my guys in the office money for investment,bankers market me, insurance coys are begging me to insure my life etc. so bro, u can be the drivers!thinkoooo![/quote ]What kinda haulage are u into?

(1) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Monorail Nearing Completion / We’ll Give Nigeria Africa’s Biggest Shopping Mall –obiechina, Aco-hiteck Md / ETHANOL Distributors Needed Nationwide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.