Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. (983 Views)

Aftermath Of Christmas: Matters Arising / My Girlfriend Is Pregnant; Matters Arising / What It Really Means When A Lady Uses The Word "Dear" On You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by sholarr12: 3:42pm On Mar 16, 2019
It is common on social media - Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram etc - for people who are allegedly friends to use the word, dear, for one another.

The use of this word makes people's partners, wives, husbands, fiancees, fiances, etc, to feel uneasy and threatened. "Why would a man refer to my wife as dear?", some men would reason.

And while some people believe that people who complain that their partners are referred to as dear are insecure, others believe they are only protecting their territory.

It is a truth that too many people use the word dear recklessly. That word is a big word with a lot of importance and should not be used recklessly. Imagine calling someone's wife dear on social media for the whole world to see. Is it to prove the friendship between you are and someone else's wife is so casual and without restrictions/limitations?

Every little thing you say to someone else's wife or husband must be accompanied with dear.

"Don't forget to tell me that thing, dear".

Dear Dominique, what do you think about this?
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by Jcole1985(m): 3:46pm On Mar 16, 2019
Op angry I thought you were going to give us the definition of "dear" ,You disgust me

Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by sholarr12: 3:46pm On Mar 16, 2019
Jcole1985:
Op angry I thought you were going to give us the definition of "dear" ,You disgust me
Then you must be unintelligent!
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by austyn0(m): 3:54pm On Mar 16, 2019
Any man or woman that thinks or goes to the extent of acting negative simply because their partner was tagged "dear" is immature.

For crying out loud, what's so strong with the word "dear"? You no even talk " honey" or "darling".
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by sholarr12: 3:58pm On Mar 16, 2019
austyn0:
Any man or woman that thinks or goes to the extent of acting negative simply because their partner was tagged "dear" is immature.

For crying out loud, what's so strong with the word "dear"? You no even talk " honey" or "darling".
Your opinion this is and it may not be a general consensus.
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by ubunja(m): 3:59pm On Mar 16, 2019
Come to SA. Women will even call you "My Love" lool.

It's just a word fogoasake
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by sholarr12: 4:06pm On Mar 16, 2019
ubunja:
Come to SA. Women will even call you "My Love" lool.

It's just a word fogoasake
Not only in South Africa. It happens everywhere.
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by Fidelismaria: 4:06pm On Mar 16, 2019
Yoruba people will say "I lor you dere"

grin grin grin

Check my signature

Buy something for your "dere"
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by ubunja(m): 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2019
sholarr12:

Not only in South Africa. It happens everywhere.
I can only speak for where I am
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by sholarr12: 4:13pm On Mar 16, 2019
ubunja:
I can only speak for where I am
This happens in Nigeria, too. And now, I'm speaking for where I am too.
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by ehbellsho(m): 4:30pm On Mar 16, 2019
U are only giving examples and instances. I tot U will explain better.
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by Prec1ous(m): 4:33pm On Mar 16, 2019
Actually I see it differently.

I see it as a patronizing word. It is a word to subtly make people fall under your control.

Try this...

If you have a difficult person around you, start abusing them with the word DEAR when relating with them. If they did not rebuke you, great.

In just a week, they will soften towards you and you can then manipulate and control them as you wish.

Ladies use it the most!

Most endearing words are used to make people conform to a set behavior.

Sometimes, all you need to get a woman is just to "HONEY" her to your "slaughter house".

Not many people will understand my postulations but it is cool.

Perspectives are different but do not ever "DEAR" me!

PS: Family, Husband and Wife are exemption to this theory of mine, they can "DEAR" you for eternity.

From any other person, there is an underlying message or motive especially when used repeatedly!

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by ubunja(m): 4:55pm On Mar 16, 2019
sholarr12:

This happens in Nigeria, too. And now, I'm speaking for where I am too.
okay
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by sholarr12: 5:41pm On Mar 16, 2019
Prec1ous:
Actually I see it differently.

I see it as a patronizing word. It is a word to subtly make people fall under your control.

Try this...

If you have a difficult person around you, start abusing them with the word DEAR when relating with them. If they did not rebuke you, great.

In just a week, they will soften towards you and you can then manipulate and control them as you wish.

Ladies use it the most!

Most endearing words are used to make people conform to a set behavior.

Sometimes, all you need to get a woman is just to "HONEY" her to your "slaughter house".

Not many people will understand my postulations but it is cool.

Perspectives are different but do not ever "DEAR" me!

PS: Family, Husband and Wife are exemption to this theory of mine, they can "DEAR" you for eternity.

From any other person, there is an underlying message or motive especially when used repeatedly!

Cheers.
I perfectly understand this.
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by BLUEJAYY: 5:42pm On Mar 16, 2019
I usually cringe when I'm addressed with that expression especially from a stranger.

I'll be so upset if called 'dear' by a grown ass man! Damn!!

People just throw words around carelessly. I'm not your dear for fvck's sake. Jeezzz!
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by sholarr12: 5:44pm On Mar 16, 2019
BLUEJAYY:
I usually cringe when I'm addressed with that word, especially from a stranger.

I'll be so upset if called 'dear' by a grown ass man! Damn!!

People just throw words around carelessly. I'm not your dear for fvck's sake. Jeezzz!
Thank you very much for this. This is exactly my point. People, these days, use certain words carelessly. What they stand to gain, I don't know.

And if one complains, one is termed "insecure".
Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by BLUEJAYY: 5:52pm On Mar 16, 2019
sholarr12:

Thank you very much for this. This is exactly my point. People, these days, use certain words carelessly. What they stand to gain, I don't know.

And if one complains, one is termed "insecure".
To hell with insecure. I've always known that you use the word 'dear' to show AFFECTION for someone you are close to, like your lover, a close family member etc.

Watering down the expression and using it carelessly to address strangers(social media and real life) or in FORMAL situations like at work or with office colleagues is cringy and manipulative. Damn!

Girls do this sh1t mostly and if a guy does this too....Lord have mercy!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Matters Arising Over The Use Of The Word - Dear. by seniorgozman(m): 9:25pm On Mar 16, 2019
I thought you have something meaningful to say. To me there is nothing wrong with it.

(1) (Reply)

Plus-Sized Woman Attacks Her Husband's Sidechick On The Road, Beats Her To Pulp / Help: I Have Been Dating A Married Man For 6months, Should I Tell Her Wife? / What Every Woman/girl Must Know About Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.