Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,197 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria (24608 Views)

50k Monthly Job Or Bolt Driving In Port Harcourt / N60,000 Monthly Job Or Uber? / Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Softcash(m): 1:26pm On Mar 17, 2019
Trolla:

Have you begun your residency?, why not take the masters offer and do your plab exams during the course of the masters, you know plab right?
by the time you're done with the masters and you hopefully pass the part1 and part2 exams, it will be easy to either begin your residency there or get outright employment pending when you want to begin residency...kill two birds with one stone

500k? Why not stay home rather than pursing UK master? What is the assurance that the UK master pursing won't turn him to slave over their?

6 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:26pm On Mar 17, 2019
Pjossot:
Kindly move to Canada... You will start your residency there too
chymeze, take the above advice ^^
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by airsaylongcon: 1:26pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:
Choice Between Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs High Paying Job

Hello guys. I'm kinda in a dilemma rgt now. I'm a medical doctor about #500k a month with allowances. However I have been offered a scholarship for masters in the UK and I'm hoping to practice over these subsequently.

However I'm torn between resigning my job here in Nigeria (which though quite high paying but is riddled with frustrations from poor working conditions to poor facilities to practice my skills as a surgeon etc) OR accepting the scholarship offer and moving onto a place with good facilities and potentials.

I have this fear of the unknown, if I resign over here and move over there only to discover things aren't what it seemed or as rosy as I thought. Advice urgently needed pls.

I tell you for free, go to the UK. Do your FRCS. U can then go Canada or US. Surgery in Naija nobi am.

Hope u are Ibadan trained sha grin. Cos any other Medical School is a School of Nursing. Lollll

Wait you said Masters. Masters in what? Public Health?

3 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Princewillz: 1:26pm On Mar 17, 2019
You even earn up to 500k and you’re disturbing the jobless once in Nairaland. Mtcheew

8 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by vineyardfarms: 1:26pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

Hello guys. I'm kinda in a dilemma rgt now. I'm a medical doctor about #500k a month with allowances. However I have been offered a scholarship for masters in the UK and I'm hoping to practice over these subsequently.

However I'm torn between resigning my job here in Nigeria (which though quite high paying but is riddled with frustrations from poor working conditions to poor facilities to practice my skills as a surgeon etc) OR accepting the scholarship offer and moving onto a place with good facilities and potentials.

I have this fear of the unknown, if I resign over here and move over there only to discover things aren't what it seemed or as rosy as I thought. Advice urgently needed pls.
IS JOB QURRANTY AFTER YOUR MASTERS OVER THERE OR HERE? YOUR ANSWER WILL HELP YOU MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION. GOOD LUCK
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by TrendyNwendy: 1:27pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

. Please kindly go for the scholarship. Let me keep your present job while I wait for better ones. I won't mind the poor working conditions and poor facilities to practice my skills.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by abbiboy: 1:27pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

Oga stop deceiving ur self u no dey earn 500k shit.

5 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by LordPsalm(m): 1:27pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

I would suggest u do the masters cuz u may be employed there or eligible to work anywhere in the world. N500,000 will only tempt u but won't do much for u in 9ja

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:28pm On Mar 17, 2019
immhotep:

chymeze, take the above advice ^^

Forget Canada. Australia offers far more opportunities/ money than Canada for a Doctor!! Besides the Canada process is getting tighter!

3 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Emmanuel226(m): 1:29pm On Mar 17, 2019
for me i will go with the 500k a month job

6 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by theoldpretender(m): 1:29pm On Mar 17, 2019
Trolla:

I suggest UK, i don't know if you plan to continue your job here, or take up employment in your country of study (since you said you're currently doing your residency), if you intend to continue your Job here i would say anywhere since you are still coming back, but if you intend to relocate, i suggest UK, reason being masters in canada is very costly and they may require you to have some millions in your account as backup (the course fees aside oo!!).

Its no doubt their doctors are one of the highest paid in the world, if not the highest, but i heard even after your masters, you may not be able to get a Job as a medical officer, even with your experience, as i don't think they recognize your MBBS, (you'd have to do their own medical exam, similar to plab, but i hear they recognize plab, even australia does) even after all the money you spent, you may only be able to work as a medical assistant...

In UK however, its comparatively cheaper the major cost you would incur for plab is plab2 when you would need to pay for tutorials, accommodation, flight costs e.t.c. for a period of 6weeks (you wouldn't need tutorials if you're a genius anyways smiley smiley, just flight cost and accommodation for about 2 days (a place to stay after the exam and you're back)), but all of that is irrelevant since you're going for masters, all these costs would be factored in, and since you're there primarily for study, you'd have enough time to tackle the plab1 (many doctors that take the exam here in nigeria still have to squeeze out time from a hectic schedule to prepare for the exam) so you're at an advantage

Before you're course runs out, if you're dedicated, you'd have passed your plab and be done with your masters, probably even gotten a job there, because its a lot easy to get a job while you're still there as many hospitals prefer doctors who are resident in the UK (i'm no doctor, but i know this because i know someone who went through this process)

Don't joke with an opportunity to travel out, a friend of mine who took the exam said she saw a consultant form luth taking the plab exam also, so you can imagine if a consultant from luth is taking an entry level exam into the UK's medical system, why would you a resident be non-challant about it....

also you'll need ielts, with a score of at least 8.0 or 7.5 before you can start talking of plab1, so much work for you here....Adios and best of luck

good advice....but I STRONGLY SUGGEST IELTS of at least 8.5 and do the academic IELTS, not the general one.
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by SamSara01: 1:30pm On Mar 17, 2019
Hey my friend, upon completion of your masters, will you be offered a job in the UK? Or you'll have to return to Nigeria. Immigration laws are really stringent in the UK. Believe me, I know of someone who was working with a Big 4 firm in Nigeria but got a Total scholarship in the UK. She took the scholarship, completed it, returned to Nigeria and it's almost 3 years she has still not got that big job yet. Evaluate your options, UK Masters doesn't guarantee a big job in Nigeria. So except you're almost certain you won't be coming back, I'll tell you to think twice before resigning that job.

By the way, I'm currently in the UK, I got a job here while I was working in Nigeria, and I can comfortably do my Masters while I'm here without fear of anyone sending back home when I'm done.

All the best

10 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your timely and experienced response. The masters is fully sponsored, along with accommodation and feeding for a year. The reason why I brought up the Australia and Canada options was because I heard a lot of UK doctors are even migrating to Australia because of better working services. I had seriously considered Australia also because they're good in my specialty of surgery. Would really appreciate responses on this.

Australia has their own medical examination AMC like America's USMLE, but like i said they also recognize plab, but only with working experience in the uk, so if you have plab and have some experience working in the UK's health care system, you can emmigrate to Australia easily, besides that you'd have to take the AMC examination.

check out this link for detailed info https://www.medicalboard.gov.au/registration/international-medical-graduates/competent-authority-pathway.aspx

2 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Emmanuel226(m): 1:30pm On Mar 17, 2019
while, making your decision, remember that the Devil you know is better than the Angel you dont know.
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:30pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

Why not make research first!!! Ask those with first class experience over there!

I think you have a better chance in the UK!

Just don't loose yourself

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by theoldpretender(m): 1:31pm On Mar 17, 2019
abbiboy:

He said he is a senior resident at a teaching hospital, possibly at one of the older teaching hospitals, so it is possible he is earning that high.

Also, if he is doing PP (PRIVATE practice...) on the side....then that adds/supplements the salary

3 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Vrachisd: 1:32pm On Mar 17, 2019
I personally suggest, you stick to your job and process your PLABS exams from Nigeria, once you are done and get a job you can come over.
If your salary is 500k monthly you can definitely make it happen from over there. I did same on less.
If you intend to practice clinical medicine, then your masters is as good as useless in the UK. It’s more helpful to continue work get more experience which will enhance your CV and make you more employable.
All the best.

7 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by theoldpretender(m): 1:33pm On Mar 17, 2019
SamSara01:
Hey my friend, upon completion of your masters, will you be offered a job in the UK? Or you'll have to return to Nigeria. Immigration laws are really stringent in the UK. Believe me, I know of someone who was working with a Big 4 firm in Nigeria but got a Total scholarship in the UK. She took the scholarship, completed it, returned to Nigeria and it's almost 3 years she has still not got that big job yet. Evaluate your options, UK Masters doesn't guarantee a big job in Nigeria. So except you're almost certain you won't be coming back, I'll tell you to think twice before resigning that job.

By the way, I'm currently in the UK, I got a job here while I was working in Nigeria, and I can comfortably do my Masters while I'm here without fear of anyone sending back home when I'm done.

All the best

Doctors (he is one) have a better chance of getting a job in the UK...than other cadres.

However, places are 'limited', though with the shortage of doctors over there...(I know of five doctors who have ported to the UK and all of them have jobs)
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by abbaapple: 1:33pm On Mar 17, 2019
Bet9ja000000:
[color=#770077][/color]see below

angry

Hahahahahahahaha this MyouMyou na wawo!! This 419 Betnija boy ugly die!!! Such ugly face that money wey you hold no fit stay with you! Even the money go run I swear! You are born to be poor and to remain poor! Spit on that your ugly hard face lipsrsealed

As for the OP sorry I just have to qout this MOfO as he keeps on spamming every thread with his useless 419. Goodluck with your Mcs man! Anything to leave this fail Lugard project is welcomed. Gracias!!!

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Uyi168: 1:35pm On Mar 17, 2019
Pjossot:
Kindly move to Canada... You will start your residency there too
Where did u see Canada in the op?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by IvarTheBoneless: 1:46pm On Mar 17, 2019
LOL. How many Drs earn 500k without being Consultants?

OP is a medical student or aspiring one sharing his daydreams

I have 2 pals who are Drs....married to Drs. So i would know

PS - except he works for an NGO.

8 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by urchpath(m): 1:47pm On Mar 17, 2019
jrusky:
Mr you are yet to do your Masters and you are already receiving 500k in Nigeria?

Bro be honest to yourself then you will get honest advise.

A poor working condition, non conducive environ to work, frustration etc as you mentioned and yet such poor managed organization still cough out 500k monthly for you?

Bro I have issue with your post because I'm a employer of Labour so I know what is going on out there what you postedhere is of questionable facts ok. No offense but I'm not buying buying it, it sound freaking bogus.

Hahahahhaa, Mr. Employer of Labour. Wake up sir. There are thousands of nigerians without masters who earn above 500k in nigeria. Well I am a doctor too, I earn just a little below that, and I have no masters yet. Just a medical officer, and yes that's my take home salary besides other side runs. Again, wake up.

Thank you

8 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by urchpath(m): 1:49pm On Mar 17, 2019
abbiboy:

That's almost my salary too bro and I am a junior doctor as well. Maybe you should try dreaming and planning big than limiting yourself to whatever u are earning. Believe it or not people are cashing out even more. So your opinion will not change his paycheck.

4 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by jrusky(m): 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2019
urchpath:

Hahahahhaa, Mr. Employer of Labour. Wake up sir. There are thousands of nigerians without masters who earn above 500k in nigeria. Well I am a doctor too, I earn just a little below that, and I have no masters yet. Just a medical officer, and yes that's my take home salary besides other side runs. Again, wake up.

Thank you

Mr doctor you have just showed your ignorant. Go back and read his reason seeking advise and read my response then I hope you will understand my argument. Ok Mr doctor.
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Hadampson(m): 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

Yes I have already begun my residency. I'm done with part 1 training sef and already into senior residency training. And which would you kindly suggest... UK, Australia or Canada?

Canada if you can cope with the weather

Shalom
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by islandmoon: 1:51pm On Mar 17, 2019
are you even sure the scholarship is not a trick to get you away from your position to give room to someone behind you or someone abroad that wanted to pay his way in? I know of someone who was working in one of the biggest hotel in Lagos as accountant, he was making a lot money apart from his salary, on his wedding day, so many associates were there present , and company executives graced the occasion when someone offered him scholarship to study abroad because they know he was crazy about going abroad , he resigned from his job and move abroad while their son replaced him, and that was his greatest regret in life.

5 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

Nairaland girls will be like, Sir, are you still single ?

Sir, can I prepare you Nkwobi ?

5 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by urchpath(m): 1:53pm On Mar 17, 2019
IvarTheBoneless:
LOL. How many Drs earn 500k without being Consultants?

OP is a medical student or aspiring one sharing his daydreams

I have 2 pals who are Drs....married to Drs. So i would know

PS - except he works for an NGO.

Plenty of us o. I have not even done my residency, neither have I done my masters. I work with an international NGO with a sound job security and I have many of us like me. Ofcourse folks in private practice earn less

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Sarcasticmofo: 1:53pm On Mar 17, 2019
Since the masters scholarship is fully funded (tuition, accommodation, feeding and pocket money fully covered) I'd suggest he goes to the UK. Take PLAB there and start working.
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by IvarTheBoneless: 1:53pm On Mar 17, 2019
urchpath:

Plenty of us o. I have not even done my residency, neither have I done my masters. I work with an international NGO with a sound job security and I have many of us like me. Ofcourse folks in private practice earn less

Check my "PS" again....Besides, i work in an NGO se well and i know plenty pay between 250 -400k.

A senior colleague interviewed for a relatively high post in FHI360 and was bluntly told they can't afford to pay him given his current salary
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by linkin8k(m): 1:54pm On Mar 17, 2019
If the University is not a top 10 university in UK like Imperial College or Cambridge, I would stay back. But if you have aspirations beyond naija, 500k is nothing, go for the masters

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!! / What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? / Am Thinking Of Quitting My Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.