Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria (24559 Views)

50k Monthly Job Or Bolt Driving In Port Harcourt / N60,000 Monthly Job Or Uber? / Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Hadampson(m): 1:54pm On Mar 17, 2019
johnmattew:
even 300k is ok...who goes for masters in UK...a waste of money

Maybe to you

3 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by jrusky(m): 1:55pm On Mar 17, 2019
urchpath:

Hahahahhaa, Mr. Employer of Labour. Wake up sir. There are thousands of nigerians without masters who earn above 500k in nigeria. Well I am a doctor too, I earn just a little below that, and I have no masters yet. Just a medical officer, and yes that's my take home salary besides other side runs. Again, wake up.

Thank you

Pls what is the sense in it for a poorly managed organization as he said to be coughing 500k a month make no sense to me and I still stand on that.

Many young Nigerians are receiving wages along that region no doubt I but such organization must at least has some sort of semi super and effective management bro Mr doctor.

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Hadampson(m): 1:55pm On Mar 17, 2019
AngelicBeing:
Flee from the shithole jungle to the UK, go for your Master Degrees, sit for the Plab exams and several opportunities will open up for you grin

1000 likes cheesy

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Emary(f): 1:55pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:
Choice Between Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs High Paying Job

Hello guys. I'm kinda in a dilemma rgt now. I'm a medical doctor about #500k a month with allowances. However I have been offered a scholarship for masters in the UK and I'm hoping to practice over these subsequently.

However I'm torn between resigning my job here in Nigeria (which though quite high paying but is riddled with frustrations from poor working conditions to poor facilities to practice my skills as a surgeon etc) OR accepting the scholarship offer and moving onto a place with good facilities and potentials.

I have this fear of the unknown, if I resign over here and move over there only to discover things aren't what it seemed or as rosy as I thought. Advice urgently needed pls.

Postpone the Master's for a year and save the money. In the meantime, take PLAB and get GMC registration so that you can get into clinical practice as soon as you are done with the Masters. UK doesn't allow people stay behind easily.

4 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by MrEgghead(m): 2:00pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

Hello guys. I'm kinda in a dilemma rgt now. I'm a medical doctor about #500k a month with allowances. However I have been offered a scholarship for masters in the UK and I'm hoping to practice over these subsequently.

However I'm torn between resigning my job here in Nigeria (which though quite high paying but is riddled with frustrations from poor working conditions to poor facilities to practice my skills as a surgeon etc) OR accepting the scholarship offer and moving onto a place with good facilities and potentials.

I have this fear of the unknown, if I resign over here and move over there only to discover things aren't what it seemed or as rosy as I thought. Advice urgently needed pls.
If it's Residency scholarship I'd agree you take it but if you're to practise clinical medicine, Masters is useless anywhere in the world and it also means you're heading backward..If you're desperate to leave, take PLABS or USMLE exams and jettison irrelevant masters degree..You only need that if you wish to go into academic.

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Eavy(m): 2:03pm On Mar 17, 2019
Who scholarship EPP?
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 17, 2019
Thunder fire UK....... 500K × 12(1YEAR) = 6million yearly, koni dafu UK MASTER SCHOLARSHIP ..

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Honeysweetest(f): 2:11pm On Mar 17, 2019
loll, people writing Canada, am sure u no see well, he wrote UK, my dear, UK do not retain Nigerians, hope you know that, if is us, Canada, Australia, is cool, but UK, haha, leaving 500k job for that, I won't if am in your shoes

6 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by bighorlus(m): 2:12pm On Mar 17, 2019
Anywhere but Nigeria pls
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by ShenTeh(m): 2:13pm On Mar 17, 2019
chymeze:

Arrange a study leave/without pay with your employer.

When you get there and see things for yourself, you can then take an informed decision.

Approach the issue meticulously.

All the best.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Mcowubaba: 2:19pm On Mar 17, 2019
500k job. No even think UK matter.

7 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by theoldpretender(m): 2:22pm On Mar 17, 2019
jrusky:
Mr you are yet to do your Masters and you are already receiving 500k in Nigeria?

Bro be honest to yourself then you will get honest advise.

A poor working condition, non conducive environ to work, frustration etc as you mentioned and yet such poor managed organization still cough out 500k monthly for you?

Bro I have issue with your post because I'm a employer of Labour so I know what is going on out there what you postedhere is of questionable facts ok. No offense but I'm not buying buying it, it sound freaking bogus.

I work in the health sector, and I get paid a good enough salary....but sometimes it can be frustrating to see a patient who needs admission, and can't take it up because no money, or a patient who has a illness that cannot be treated with the facilities you have in Nigeria....

After a while , you get frustrated and get out.

As for his salary, the OP is probably a senior registrar at a teaching hospital. In addition to clinical duties, they teach medical students, do research (you cannot be a consultant without writing a research paper...and it must be genuine , nothing like copy and paste grin), and as a surgeon, the guy probably does plenty surgery (because most teaching hospitals in this country are where every surgical op ends up)..so as to gain experience. 50000K is good (and it is most likely a government hospital...federal)...probably includes clinical and academic allowances.

And if he is working in a government teaching hospital...most of them are poorly equipped because government is funding them on a budget for health less than N1trillion (when you need probably at least N3-4 trillion). Add the stress (most teaching hospitals take on the job that a good primary and secondary hospital is supposed to do)...and you will get where the OP is coming from.

5 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Reussite: 2:25pm On Mar 17, 2019
Honeysweetest:
loll, people writing Canada, am sure u no see well, he wrote UK, my dear, UK do not retain Nigerians, hope you know that, if is us, Canada, Australia, is cool, but UK, haha, leaving 500k job for that, I won't if am in your shoes
He's a medical doctor dear & not in the cadre of regular courses like some of us. UK is the better choice of the other countries with respect to masters & if he intends residing there after the program.

2 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by CoolAmbience(m): 2:28pm On Mar 17, 2019
Offpoint1:
Like I always said, Nigerian are their own problems until we realize that this nation will never move an inch of progress.

A potential individual [Nigerian] brought two options on the table, one of which is beneficial to Nigeria and other which is totally of no benefits to Nigeria and Nigerians... to my greatest surprise, all comments from Nigerians above and below is advising he leaves. They don't even know genius doctors will soon go extinct in Nigeria because they're leaving the shore almost everyday.

My question is How will Nigeria be great when Nigerians are advising all the already threatened brains to leave? Each time they leave the more useless and endanger Nigerian health sector becomes.

Sometimes is not what your country can do for you, it's what you can do for your country.

Your house is on fire, instead of us to seek for solutions on how to quench the fire, we ran to relax in our neighbors abode.

I know everyone deserves the best out of life, everyone wants the best out of life, but sometimes in life we have to make sacrifices which aren't convenient but are worth it.

Op, I know if you leave, your probabilities of coming back is zero to none. remember the lives you've saved so far with the little available resources to you. think of lives that will lost when you're not there to contribute... is it really worth it?
If you have intentions of coming back, there's nothing wrong if you go for your masters outside the shore, but it'll be inhume if you don't return after witnessing what your people are going through.

like I always wrote on my facebook wall and whatsapp status... "If your ambition in life is to go to school, graduate, get a job, build a house, get a car, get a wife and bore kids... then you don't know your purpose of existence"

I know I'm offpoint, that's what everyone thinks of me... but I'm always on the right path, so please don't quote to insult me if your IQ is lower than my UBA account balance. if you care to know, it's N32.00

Though lengthy but I seriously get your point.

To be double sure I did, your position is that he should go abroad on the account to improve himself and come back to avail his country of his premium expertise...and not just stay back in a medical system that is very functional whereas the real needs reside here in Africa.

I think you are a very smart and patriotic individual. I am so surprised that we still have your kind.

I will tell you my short story. Four years ago, I went abroad to train on a novel technology that is currently benefiting the world; and which has a much bigger prospect in Africa. During the training, the team abroad discovered that they needed to keep me and asked if I wanted to stay. Nothing dem nor do..... You won't believe that I declined to stay back in North America because I imagined the huge losses that would happen back home in Africa if I remained overseas. I imagined how much opportunities would be lost if I stayed back. I felt that the continent would collapse without me. I felt I would be judged by that.....the feeling was intense and indescribable.

Not minding that the foreign team was willing to get my young family to join me abroad, I had to come back and try to do something to help my country and continent.

Not everyone can be like that. We are different people. You won't believe that I still consider that as the best decision I have made in life.

So...I truly understand you...but still, we all don't have the same drives and dreams.

10 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by mamatwiny(f): 2:42pm On Mar 17, 2019
CoolAmbience:

To be double sure I did, your position is that he should go abroad on the account to improve himself and come back to avail his country of his premium expertise...and not just stay back in a medical system that is very functional whereas the real needs reside here in Africa.

I think you are a very smart and patriotic individual. I am so surprised that we still have your kind.

I will tell you my short story. Four years ago, I went abroad to train on a novel technology that is currently benefiting the world; and which has a much bigger prospect in Africa. During the training, the team abroad discovered that they needed to keep me and asked if I wanted to stay. Nothing dem nor do..... You won't believe that I declined to stay back in North America because I imagined the huge losses that would happen back home in Africa if I remained overseas. I imagined how much opportunities would be lost if I stayed back. I felt that the continent would collapse without me. I felt I would be judged by that.....the feeling was intense and indescribable.

Not minding that the foreign team was willing to get my young family to join me abroad, I had to come back and try to do something to help my country and continent.

Not everyone can be like that. We are different people. You won't believe that I still consider that as the best decision I have made in life.

So...I truly understand you...but still, we all don't have the same drives and dreams.

I pray you don't regret your decision some day. I know ppl that were made to relocate back to Nigeria from Germany to build Nigeria and in less than 2 years they were thrown out of jobs. He lost his family ( wife came back to Nigeria but couldnt stay and went back), the children didnt bother to relocate with him.The man was without job for a long while but God helped him secure a job as a lecturer at Esut after a while.
He started building another family at this his old age many years after it dawned on him he has lost all.

3 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by mamatwiny(f): 2:44pm On Mar 17, 2019
With the way doctors are leaving Naija, very soon we will have 3 doctors left;
1) Dr Iguedo
2)Dr Agnes Nwamma
3) Dr Amasiama.

Laugh wan kee mii

3 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Sheriff19: 2:54pm On Mar 17, 2019
God bless you bro. Honestly you have taken these words out of my mind. Nigeria is really in trouble not only because of our politicians but because of our mentality. I met a man in Australia sometimes last year, who told me he had an intention of establishing a small start-up(Nigeria ) in 2016 through his brother who happens to be in his final year (Nigeria University) during that period. He said after discussing his plan with his brother, he (his brother) advised him not to even think of coming to Nigeria not to talk of investing. That he is not willing to manage any business or set-up for him (despite the fact that the money was on ground that time.) he said all he wants was to leave the country as well. The man said he as almost finished his saves now and he said he felt he made a mistake by taking his brother advice. What we don't know is that most of these countries are on the alert for Nigerian in their embassy, for you to secure VISA (with that passport is very difficult) you will be hearing some furnish questions, imagine after submitting a letter of admission from a university abroad, the interviewer still ask you what you are going to do in the country and that you should also get a reference latter from someone staying in the country. Our passport is one of the weakest because everybody want to travel but the reality is that many will not have the opportunity to do so. OP, actually one of the best experience and education in life is to travel and which will make you to see things from different angles, you are more assured of a better life and working condition abroad than Nigeria. though, I have never been UK, but you will definitely have a better life over there. However, the British build the UK and no body we build this country for us. Just after you might have settled in UK try to also contribute your quota through professional practice or whatever means to assist the country (not only by sending the Pounds ), all of us can not leave the country you know.
Offpoint1:
Like I always said, Nigerian are their own problems until we realize that this nation will never move an inch of progress.

A potential individual [Nigerian] brought two options on the table, one of which is beneficial to Nigeria and other which is totally of no benefits to Nigeria and Nigerians... to my greatest surprise, all comments from Nigerians above and below is advising he leaves. They don't even know genius doctors will soon go extinct in Nigeria because they're leaving the shore almost everyday.

My question is How will Nigeria be great when Nigerians are advising all the already threatened brains to leave? Each time they leave the more useless and endanger Nigerian health sector becomes.

Sometimes is not what your country can do for you, it's what you can do for your country.

Your house is on fire, instead of us to seek for solutions on how to quench the fire, we ran to relax in our neighbors abode.

I know everyone deserves the best out of life, everyone wants the best out of life, but sometimes in life we have to make sacrifices which aren't convenient but are worth it.

Op, I know if you leave, your probabilities of coming back is zero to none. remember the lives you've saved so far with the little available resources to you. think of lives that will lost when you're not there to contribute... is it really worth it?
If you have intentions of coming back, there's nothing wrong if you go for your masters outside the shore, but it'll be inhume if you don't return after witnessing what your people are going through.

like I always wrote on my facebook wall and whatsapp status... "If your ambition in life is to go to school, graduate, get a job, build a house, get a car, get a wife and bore kids... then you don't know your purpose of existence"

I know I'm offpoint, that's what everyone thinks of me... but I'm always on the right path, so please don't quote to insult me if your IQ is lower than my UBA account balance. if you care to know, it's N32.00

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Reeses: 3:04pm On Mar 17, 2019
Once you are done with your Masters they will kindly send you back to Nigeria .Western countries are getting tighter and wiser with there immigration.So bro stay back with your 500K job.

2 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Offpoint1: 3:05pm On Mar 17, 2019
Sheriff19:
God bless you bro. Honestly you have taken these words out of my mind. Nigeria is really in trouble not only because of our politicians but because of our mentality. I met a man in Australia sometimes last year, who told me he had an intention of establishing a small start-up(Nigeria ) in 2016 through his brother who happens to be in his final year (Nigeria University) during that period. He said after discussing his plan with his brother, he (his brother) advised him not to even think of coming to Nigeria not to talk of investing. That he is not willing to manage any business or set-up for him (despite the fact that the money was on ground that time.) he said all he wants was to leave the country as well. The man said he as almost finished his saves now and he said he felt he made a mistake by taking his brother advice. What we don't know is that most of these countries are on the alert for Nigerian in their embassy, for you to secure VISA (with that passport is very difficult) you will be hearing some furnish questions, imagine after submitting a letter of admission from a university abroad, the interviewer still ask you what you are going to do in the country and that you should also get a reference latter from someone staying in the country. Our passport is one of the weakest because everybody want to travel but the reality is that many will not have the opportunity to do so. OP, actually one of the best experience and education in life is to travel and which will make you to see things from different angles, you are more assured of a better life and working condition abroad than Nigeria. though, I have never been UK, but you will definitely have a better life over there. However, the British build the UK and no body we build this country for us. Just after you might have settled in UK try to also contribute your quota through professional practice or whatever means to assist the country (not only by sending the Pounds ), all of us can not leave the country you know.
I pray God help us all, if it continues like this there'll be no country call Nigeria in the future. The little we have let's us use it to build our nation instead of running late to build another man's nation. We are ignorantly destroying the nation for our posterities.

1 Like

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Offpoint1: 3:08pm On Mar 17, 2019
CoolAmbience:

God help us all my brother. One thing about the whites once they see your potentials they'll do anything to keep you in their country, they know the benefits.
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by HBB1(m): 3:09pm On Mar 17, 2019
CoolAmbience:

My dad did the same in the 70s... Got his PHD in record time, was begged to stay back by the authorities, but came back all the same ( besides Nigeria was doing ok then).
40 years after my sister asked him if he regretted doing so, which he bluntly replied, 'yes!'
All his kids are making the second missionary journey back there again now sha, and trying to revamp the years a failed system has wasted!
Will this be the same story for everybody? Of course not!
However if you aren't sure, follow the common sensical knowledge that you can't do better better than the system in which you operate.
Place geniuses in a failed system, and they will fail.
Place average people in a good one and they will succeed.

6 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by lakesider(m): 3:13pm On Mar 17, 2019
Stay in Nigeria
Don't leave 500k job for cleaner job in the UK.
Forget the there is jibe abroad story. Na lie.
When you reach u go see say na labourer job u go get abroad.

4 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Bwoodlt: 3:14pm On Mar 17, 2019
Honor10:
500k Monthly job in Nigeria is quite OK, don't leave certainty for uncertainty, after the masters in UK, what next?

Our next breakthrough is just at the expense of us taking that risk! Trust me, it always get better! I can tell Op wouldn't regret the decision to forge ahead! I'll take the UK scholarship! Once you're done with your MSc in the UK, you can expect up to 6-7X of what you currently get on a monthly basis! Trust God, He's going to lead you right!
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 3:14pm On Mar 17, 2019
UK. Life there is much more saner than Canada or Australia... Thank me later kiss

chymeze:

Yes I have already begun my residency. I'm done with part 1 training sef and already into senior residency training. And which would you kindly suggest... UK, Australia or Canada?
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by urchpath(m): 3:22pm On Mar 17, 2019
jrusky:

Mr doctor you have just showed your ignorant. Go back and read his reason seeking advise and read my response then I hope you will understand my argument. Ok Mr doctor.

Thank you bros. Happy sunday sir!
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by HBB1(m): 3:23pm On Mar 17, 2019
Reeses:
Once you are done with your Masters they will kindly send you back to Nigeria .Western countries are getting tighter and wiser with there immigration.So bro stay back with your 500K job.

My sister and her husband where Senior Registrars before my bro-in-law said, ' our mumu don do' and bullied my sister to go start all over again in the UK.
My sister was looking at being a consultant in her front like this and developed cold feet, but he talked her into leaving.
Though the system isn't perfect, when I asked him if life was better, he says, ' it's a hundred times better!'
They have a fine house, free healthcare, free schooling (if you choose) and better pay!

Ogaade, how much is 500?!
He is a doctor and will easily make over 2 million in Naira just doing 40 hours a week ( soft work). If he is greedy for more, he can do more hours. Then there is the chance of moving to the new world ( Canada and Australia) where you even work less and earn more.

If staying in Nigeria is your destiny, and you are sure, stay back, but if you are not, you will curse the day you decided to!

Have you not noticed that every third world country is ruled by its citizens that had foreign exposure-- from the freed slaves in Liberia that recolonised the natives, to the founding fathers of our democracy.

Ogaade, don't dull!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by Thojan(m): 3:24pm On Mar 17, 2019
God bless you sir.
Offpoint1:

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 3:26pm On Mar 17, 2019
I catcb your drift. Nigeria's wahala is too big for any young man and woman to carry on top head. Truth is if you have the chance now at a young age, seize it and make very good use of it. Forget all the patriotism thing the country don't need all that currently......we all saw during the last elections naa. We can't comman die here jooor!

Most people coming back home after training or work abroad are only coming to see where they can fleece the people for their own benefit and not to impart any knowledge to help with national development.

Knowledge/housing is power in Nigeria... have any of these two and you start oppressing others who don't have any. That is not national development traits we are looking for.

Offpoint1:

4 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by pacespot(m): 3:27pm On Mar 17, 2019
500k monthly, in this same country where graduates are struggling to get a 30k job. OP, abeg which hospital do you work for, maybe I can come and do a cleaner there?

2 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by IkemChris(m): 3:47pm On Mar 17, 2019
Oga you dey enjoy ooooo. 500k salary no be here ooooo. Maintain the job for 10years and run for Nigerian Senate cos na only them get salary pass your own

4 Likes

Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by realsupermum: 3:50pm On Mar 17, 2019
Even if the op doesn't want to go,at least go for the sake of your kids.schooling in naija here no make sense at all,for you to get a very good school for your kids you have to pay in Millions so I would prefer he also goes for his kids sake when he starts having kids.my 2cent
Re: Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria by CoolAmbience(m): 3:57pm On Mar 17, 2019
HBB1:

My dad did the same in the 70s... Got his PHD in record time, was begged to stay back by the authorities, but came back all the same ( besides Nigeria was doing ok then).
40 years after my sister asked him if he regretted doing so, which he bluntly replied, 'yes!'
All he kids are making the second missionary journey back there again now sha, and trying to revamp the years a failed system has wasted!
Will this be the same story for everybody? Of course not!
However if you aren't sure, follow the common sensical knowledge that you can't do better better than the system in which you operate.
Place geniuses in a failed system, and they will fail.
Place average people in a good one and they will succeed.

Let me stick around your point that the story can't be the same for everybody.

I am also sure you will agree with me if I rephrased 'place geniuses in a failed system, and they will fail' cos not all geniuses will fail. Some will certainly make the most of it.

For me as an individual, nothing counts more than a good legacy, regardless of where you are.

We saw Soyinka, Achebe, Mandela and Malala Yousafzai shoot up to global reckoning from selfless works they did for their countries.

I think that there must certainly be a meeting point between traveling overseas to get a better life and appreciating the reality that no one will fix Africa for us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sack: Pilots, Engineers Threaten To Shut Down All Airlines / Common Interview Questions And What They Mean / 10 IT Jobs Of The "Highest Salary" You Should Consider.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.