Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,752 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

The Right Way To Date. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Right Way To Date. (3147 Views)

What Is The Right Way To Celebrate Valentine? / Nigerian Lady Demonstrates "The Right Way To Give Doggy Style" / Is This The Right Way To Tell A Girl Say You Like Yansh Am? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Right Way To Date. by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:53am On Mar 17, 2019
Who agrees with me that the way we go about relationships these days is wrong?

Ideally, this is how the progression should be

Dating◇Courtship◇Marriage.

Dating: This should be the period where you meet someone, you feel like you'd like to know them more, so you agree on a time and place to meet and discuss. You can do this as many times as you want... and with as many persons as you take interest in. This period should be devoid of sex and overt intimacies. This period should primarily be about learning more about the other person...their goals...vision...values...character...likes, dislikes, preferences...upbringing...family background...faith, etc. If all of these things tick and are in resonance with what you represent, and feelings develop, then you proceed to courtship.
N.B Persons who aren't looking at getting married in the nearest future should not bother about the dating phase. It is pointless. For how many years would you continue to have meetings and discuss with someone? This is where trouble and confusion begins. Don't ask to meet a person regularly if you're not looking at something purposeful... This dating period should be from 3 to 6 months max.

Courtship: So from all the persons you've been going on dates with, you may have found one who is most compatible with you...and who you've developed feelings for. This is the point where you can now state your intentions clearly and demand committment. This is when a proper relationship begins. It is purposeful. You have both agreed to marry each other. During this period you consolidate your plans. You reach agreements as to the number of kids you wish to have... you plan about finances, you decide on where you'd live...are you starting out with getting a house on mortgage? You'll start getting to know and build a relationship with the family of the other person... you learn even more about yourselves. You discuss self-development goals...long term family plans...you pray more...read more books on how to build a home and have a fulfilling marriage. You begin to save more towards marriage. At this stage, full commitment is required. It is no longer proper or acceptable for any party to entertain dates or advances from members of the opposite sex. You can discuss your sexual preferences. Co-habiting shouldn't be also. Sex is still not allowed at this point... overt intimacies should still not be. Little acts of fondness are allowed. Between the both of you, decide on the kind of marriage ceremony you want to have... then fix a date... after which you proceed to getting the rest of the family and church involved. Personally, I think it's foolhardy to plan a lucrative wedding when you don't have surplus money. You're just about starting a family... you'd need all the financial resources you can get. Don't spend it all on a wedding and start living from paycheque to paycheque. This period should last between 6 to 18 months.

Marriage Staying faithful to your vows... learning more about your partner...building the family.

I believe if we all stick to this order, we'd have less relationship problems and better marriages. I've come to realise that it's not ideal asking a person to stay committed to you when marriage isn't in view...or perhaps when one person has a different plan. ("Can two walk except they agree?"wink

* You're asking a person to be committed to you alone and you don't want them feeling entitled.

*You're asking a person to be committed to you
before you both have had the chance to know yourselves well enough. And then you start doing the bf/gf thing only to realise the other person has issues... and you want out, but you can't just do it because it's too early and you know you'll be hurting their feelings.

*You want a person to be committed to you alone and you haven't categorically stated what the end point is. What is the relationship supposed to be all about then? For lack of direction and purpose, y'all end up having sex...until you get tired of each other. That's why you see people in relationships having plan A, B, C.

There's so much to be said... if you do things the right way, you won't feel like you're having sex for free, nobody enters into an accidental marriage because someone got pregnant, she won't ask you for money, you owe her nothing...y'all are seeing other people, too. Nobody would feel short-changed...nobody would wonder if his/her time is being wasted. You'd choose better partners. The first form of any kind of "obligations" begin in courtship.

But you see, we conform a lot... we change and follow trends... it seems like nobody's willing to do things right, so you go with what's obtainable.

I haven't always done it right either. But think about it. We'd all be better off if we do things right... not all these perversions we've come to accept as norms...even when the consequences are staring at us right in the face.

Happy Sunday.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Right Way To Date. by Skykid1208(m): 11:33am On Mar 17, 2019
Re: The Right Way To Date. by smithes: 12:11pm On Mar 17, 2019
True
Re: The Right Way To Date. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 17, 2019
Why dating, Courting and marriage go dey organize like Meeting agenda...Nawa oh..

If one practice this,,,expect a boring union!

6 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Date. by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:10pm On Mar 17, 2019
Tundexxy:
Why dating, Courting and marriage go dey organize like Meeting agenda...Nawa oh..

If one practice this,,,expect a boring union!

It's in the name of "interesting/fun" that y'all end up wailing all the time... and always hitting the rocks.

3 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Date. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 17, 2019
PrimadonnaO:

It's in the name of "interesting/fun" that y'all end up wailing all the time... and always hitting the rocks.

So going for a boring marriage is okay?
Re: The Right Way To Date. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 17, 2019
YES,
Meet -----> Date -----> Courtship -----> Marriage -----> Sex -----> Baby
IS THE RIGHT WAY.

But unfortunately, folks are dating upside down these days. It's not up to me to tell people what's right for them, though. As long as you're an adult, you've the agency to make your own choices.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Right Way To Date. by henryhemon(m): 5:46am On Mar 18, 2019
Tundexxy:

So going for a boring marriage is okay?

I don't see the relationship between the topic and boring marriage.

3 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Date. by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 18, 2019
henryhemon:

I don't see the relationship between the topic and boring marriage.
Okay......i responded to a quote not topic nah
Re: The Right Way To Date. by Hisduchess(f): 8:25am On Mar 18, 2019
PrimadonnaO:

Dating: This should be the period where you meet someone, you feel like you'd like to know them more, so you agree on a time and place to meet and discuss. You can do this as many times as you want... and with as many persons as you take interest in. This period should be devoid of sex and overt intimacies. This period should primarily be about learning more about the other person...their goals...vision...values...character...likes, dislikes, preferences...upbringing...family background...faith, etc. If all of these things tick and are in resonance with what you represent, and feelings develop, then you proceed to courtship.
N.B Persons who aren't looking at getting married in the nearest future should not bother about the dating phase. It is pointless. For how many years would you continue to have meetings and discuss with someone? This is where trouble and confusion begins. Don't ask to meet a person regularly if you're not looking at something purposeful... This dating period should be from 3 to 6 months max.

Courtship: So from all the persons you've been going on dates with, you may have found one who is most compatible with you...and who you've developed feelings for. This is the point where you can now state your intentions clearly and demand committment. This is when a proper relationship begins. It is purposeful. You have both agreed to marry each other. During this period you consolidate your plans. You reach agreements as to the number of kids you wish to have... you plan about finances, you decide on where you'd live...are you starting out with getting a house on mortgage? You'll start getting to know and build a relationship with the family of the other person... you learn even more about yourselves. You discuss self-development goals...long term family plans...you pray more...read more books on how to build a home and have a fulfilling marriage. You begin to save more towards marriage. At this stage, full commitment is required. It is no longer proper or acceptable for any party to entertain dates or advances from members of the opposite sex. You can discuss your sexual preferences. Co-habiting shouldn't be also. Sex is still not allowed at this point... overt intimacies should still not be. Little acts of fondness are allowed. Between the both of you, decide on the kind of marriage ceremony you want to have... then fix a date... after which you proceed to getting the rest of the family and church involved. Personally, I think it's foolhardy to plan a lucrative wedding when you don't have surplus money. You're just about starting a family... you'd need all the financial resources you can get. Don't spend it all on a wedding and start living from paycheque to paycheque. This period should last between 6 to 8 months.

Marriage Staying faithful to your vows... learning more about your partner...building the family.

I believe if we all stick to this order, we'd have less relationship problems and better marriages. I've come to realise that it's not ideal asking a person to stay committed to you when marriage isn't in view...or perhaps when one person has a different plan. ("Can two walk except they agree?"wink

* You're asking a person to be committed to you alone and you don't want them feeling entitled.

before you both have had the chance to know yourselves well enough. And then you start doing the bf/gf thing only to realise the other person has issues... and you want out, but you can't just do it because it's too early and you know you'll be hurting their feelings.

*You want a person to be committed to you alone and you haven't categorically stated what the end point is. What is the relationship supposed to be all about then? For lack of direction and purpose, y'all end up having sex...until you get tired of each other. That's why you see people in relationships having plan A, B, C.

There's so much to be said... if you do things the right way, you won't feel like you're having sex for free, nobody enters into an accidental marriage because someone got pregnant, she won't ask you for money, you owe her nothing...y'all are seeing other people, too. Nobody would feel short-changed...nobody would wonder if his/her time is being wasted. You'd choose better partners. The first form of any kind of "obligations" begin in courtship.

But you see, we conform a lot... we change and follow trends... it seems like nobody's willing to do things right, so you go with what's obtainable.

I haven't always done it right either. But think about it. We'd all be better off if we do things right... not all these perversions we've come to accept as norms...even when the consequences are staring at us right in the face.

Happy Sunday.

I pray I meet someone who ll have sense to allow us go this way. the world is overly sexualized that e dey people who want things done the right way

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Date. by CosmicPhoenix: 8:58am On Mar 18, 2019
i know this is where i will find most of them,giving advice that they wont follow

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Date. by dochenaj: 5:25pm On Mar 20, 2019
PrimadonnaO:

Courtship: So from all the persons you've been going on dates with, you may have found one who is most compatible with you...and who you've developed feelings for. This is the point where you can now state your intentions clearly and demand committment. This is when a proper relationship begins. It is purposeful. You have both agreed to marry each other. During this period you consolidate your plans. You reach agreements as to the number of kids you wish to have... you plan about finances, you decide on where you'd live...are you starting out with getting a house on mortgage? You'll start getting to know and build a relationship with the family of the other person... you learn even more about yourselves. You discuss self-development goals...long term family plans...you pray more...read more books on how to build a home and have a fulfilling marriage. You begin to save more towards marriage. At this stage, full commitment is required. It is no longer proper or acceptable for any party to entertain dates or advances from members of the opposite sex. You can discuss your sexual preferences. Co-habiting shouldn't be also. Sex is still not allowed at this point... overt intimacies should still not be. Little acts of fondness are allowed. Between the both of you, decide on the kind of marriage ceremony you want to have... then fix a date... after which you proceed to getting the rest of the family and church involved. Personally, I think it's foolhardy to plan a lucrative wedding when you don't have surplus money. You're just about starting a family... you'd need all the financial resources you can get. Don't spend it all on a wedding and start living from paycheque to paycheque. This period should last between 6 to 8 months.

Happy Sunday.
Without any iota of doubt. This is the most sensible post I have ever read on nairaland.
Did you write this?

3 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Date. by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:34pm On Mar 20, 2019
dochenaj:

Without any iota of doubt. This is the most sensible post I have ever read on nairaland.
Did you write this?

Yes, I did...

Thanks. smiley
Re: The Right Way To Date. by dochenaj: 7:01pm On Mar 20, 2019
PrimadonnaO:
Yes, I did...
Thanks. smiley
I will love to get a peek into that beautiful brain of yours.

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Date. by ElsonMorali: 7:09pm On Mar 20, 2019
This is how we old school folks do it.

Today, a guy takes a girl out on a date and expects to be compensated with sex because he footed the bill. Why not just go and pay for the services of an ashawo and save yourself time and emotional stress.

3 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Date. by Samzzy94(m): 2:13pm On May 29, 2019
PrimadonnaO:

Happy Sunday.

Well your opinion is okay....but imagine meeting a guy and all he does is to fix dates where you guys talk about yourselves for months all in the name of trying to know if you guys fit each other's spec....that would be sooo boorrringg
Re: The Right Way To Date. by PrimadonnaO(f): 2:17pm On May 29, 2019
Samzzy94:

Well your opinion is okay....but imagine meeting a guy and all he does is to fix dates where you guys talk about yourselves for months all in the name of trying to know if you guys fit each other's spec....that would be sooo boorrringg

What do people do in relationships?
Re: The Right Way To Date. by Bossjakande: 2:24pm On May 29, 2019
PrimadonnaO:

What do people do in relationships?
bang
Re: The Right Way To Date. by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 29, 2019
the female version of how to catch a man and enslave him for eternity

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Date. by healthserve(m): 6:41pm On Sep 10, 2019
PrimadonnaO:

Courtship: So from all the persons you've been going on dates with, you may have found one who is most compatible with you...and who you've developed feelings for. This is the point where you can now state your intentions clearly and demand committment. This is when a proper relationship begins. It is purposeful. You have both agreed to marry each other. During this period you consolidate your plans. You reach agreements as to the number of kids you wish to have... you plan about finances, you decide on where you'd live...are you starting out with getting a house on mortgage? You'll start getting to know and build a relationship with the family of the other person... you learn even more about yourselves. You discuss self-development goals...long term family plans...you pray more...read more books on how to build a home and have a fulfilling marriage. You begin to save more towards marriage. At this stage, full commitment is required. It is no longer proper or acceptable for any party to entertain dates or advances from members of the opposite sex. You can discuss your sexual preferences. Co-habiting shouldn't be also. Sex is still not allowed at this point... overt intimacies should still not be. Little acts of fondness are allowed. Between the both of you, decide on the kind of marriage ceremony you want to have... then fix a date... after which you proceed to getting the rest of the family and church involved. Personally, I think it's foolhardy to plan a lucrative wedding when you don't have surplus money. You're just about starting a family... you'd need all the financial resources you can get. Don't spend it all on a wedding and start living from paycheque to paycheque. This period should last between 6 to 18 months.

Happy Sunday.

Nwanne, what church do you attend?

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Date. by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:20pm On Sep 10, 2019
healthserve:

Nwanne, what church do you attend?

Living Faith.
Re: The Right Way To Date. by healthserve(m): 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2019
PrimadonnaO:

Living Faith.

No wonder. I want say which other persons get this same spiritual depth. My sis, you've done well with your spiritual development. You have my respect wink
Re: The Right Way To Date. by healthserve(m): 7:40pm On Sep 10, 2019
PrimadonnaO:

Living Faith.

Close to Mayfair gardens?
Re: The Right Way To Date. by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:00pm On Sep 10, 2019
healthserve:

Close to Mayfair gardens?

Lmao! You're cunning, man!
Re: The Right Way To Date. by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:01pm On Sep 10, 2019
healthserve:

No wonder. I want say which other persons get this same spiritual depth. My sis, you've done well with your spiritual development. You have my respect wink

Thanks.
Re: The Right Way To Date. by healthserve(m): 8:08pm On Sep 10, 2019
PrimadonnaO:

Lmao! You're cunning, man!

cheesy wink
Re: The Right Way To Date. by Heroclitus(m): 11:12pm On Sep 10, 2019
Sounds too procedural and too official... are we in France?
Re: The Right Way To Date. by Ferdyn: 12:04am On Sep 11, 2019
great write up. I actually enjoy the part where you included the limit for each phase duration, though not only that. But i find in it some indictors of a well directed relationship. Both partners gets aware of the game plan, making them manage emotional situations rationally and with control.
The idea you used in describing the courtship phase is rather resourceful, as it brings alive some elements of cooperation and team spirit, enhancing how one look out for the other, thus uniting them more solidly.

In general, you have just set some vivid road map for youths and searching fellows to journey while they look forward to attaining some happy ending. And most importantly to ward off time and emotional energy waster when ever they come by.

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Date. by Oyikoha(m): 11:47am On Oct 19, 2019
Great
Re: The Right Way To Date. by 0neal(m): 7:17am On Oct 22, 2019
Insightful writeup...

Tbh its damn hard to uphold this standard with just self determination, it takes God's grace to wield off all sorts of temptation lurking around.

God help us to do things right
Re: The Right Way To Date. by tomdon(m): 10:18am On Oct 26, 2019
Na now day break. After you don fúck prick belleful you come remember say the right way de.
Imagine oo, talk about eating your cake and having it.
I'm not even referring to you only, I'm talking about all who are affected.
Leave the right way for virgins

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Date. by CaptainMitch: 7:31pm On Oct 26, 2019
I like this thread I have found someone I really want to spend forever with but I don't know if she feels the same way. I will follow this progression and keep going on more dates.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stop Putting Condom In Your Wallet - Twitter Aproko Doctor Warns / Nairaland Is A Clear Case Study Of The Poverty Rate In Nigeria / Hausa: Please How Can I Learn Hausa Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.