Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,094 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

21 Times "Friends" Was Actually Really Problematic - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 21 Times "Friends" Was Actually Really Problematic (372 Views)

You Must Have Sex Atleast 21 Times A Month: See The Reason / “mompha Was Actually Lucky” – Nigerians React To Hushpuppi’s Fraud Video / 'Dumebi Song By Rema Was Actually Mine' - Carter Trillz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

21 Times "Friends" Was Actually Really Problematic by saeedhub: 1:20pm On Mar 18, 2019
We recently asked members of the saeedhub.us Community to share the moments in Friends that they've found problematic while rewatching in 2018. Here are some of the best responses.
1. The whole "male nanny" debacle.

NBC Share Pin The whole Sandy debacle. Even with the "product of its time" factor, watching Ross' brain melt down over the idea of a straight man wanting to care for children is so cringe-worthy. As much as yes, it's a TV show and therefore ridiculous things happen, in reality he probably would have been sued for asking invasive questions about the nanny's sexuality and then firing him because he was a man. – dcby How that wonderful nanny couldn't take care of Emma because he wasn't "man" enough according to Ross. – khannaakuti

2. Pretty much everything about "Fat Monica."

NBC Share Pin "Fat Monica" fed into the whole media perpetuated image of overweight individuals as punchlines and nothing more. She only became a "worthy" character after she lost the weight, or at least that's how the show made it seem. – dramalama It's not only the fat "jokes," but the way the show also implies that Monica is a lonely loser when she's bigger. How even?! I get so mad every time I think about it. – jadedunne007

3. The treatment of Chandler's dad throughout the show.

NBC Share Pin The whole "Chandler's dad is a drag queen" thing. While the addition of an out and proud gay character was a huge step forward in television, they totally mis-represented the community. For almost 20 years, my mom thought that trans women and drag queens were the same thing because of this. – ashleyp1002 Chandler's homophobia and jokes about his transgender parent were awful. While they did address it later on by reuniting them, the character was played by Kathleen Turner! The show also conflated transgender people and drag queens. In trying to expose and dismantle some prejudices, they also perpetuated others. – jennyb27

4. Ross's absurd jealousy and possessiveness over Rachel when she's working for Mark.

NBC Share Pin The situation with Mark was borderline psychotic. He was resentful and jealous and became completely possessive. He interfered with her work more than once, shouted in her office and sent her excessive gifts. He may as well have just cattle branded her forehead with "ROSS." – roisind3 He assumed that Rachel cared more about a guy than her career and current relationship, sent unprofessional and possessive gifts to her office and bought into the idea that a woman can only achieve success through her sexuality. – paigeh4846371f8

Source: https://www.saeedhub.us/21-times-friends-was-actually-really-problematic/

(1) (Reply)

Bobrisky Finally Says How He Got A New Benz ,bobrisky New Benz / How I Made My Money – Mr Eazi / Nollywood Actress Gets Pregnant After 12 Years; What You Need To Know About Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.