Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? (25313 Views)

Is It True The Forbidden Fruit In The Garden Was Sex? (Photo) / Sexual Immorality Is Forbidden I / Osinachi's Husband Said She'll Leave Their Marriage In Death - Osinachi's Mum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Shedrack777: 8:29am On Mar 31, 2019
anonymuz:
please don't do it, and if you have tried it, please report yourself. Its highly forbidden in our Urhobo people irrespective of where you are so far the blood runs in you. As to the scriptures, it's wrong too.
I know that it's a taboo in urhobo culture, and I've not tried it. But how wrong is it in the Bible?
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Houseofglam7(f): 8:29am On Mar 31, 2019
Of all the millions of people walking the surface of the earth
I can't deal undecided
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Princeton92(m): 8:30am On Mar 31, 2019
And mother’s sister OR your father’s sister means?

Well FYI, all the Pharoahs married their own sisters etc!

Lots of people marry their cousins in the past N still do today!!
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by stanliwise(m): 8:32am On Mar 31, 2019
DavidEsq:

What effect would that action have on outsiders, including fellow Christians?
1 Corinthians 8:9 says:
"But keep watching that your right to choose does not somehow become a stumbling block to those who are weak'.
Ur action would badly affected others and who feel that such act is incest. So u c, it's not always about wat u choose to do. It's also about how ur action affect odas
This isn't the only problem though even in none Christian society people do not publicly allowed marriage of close relation majorly because of health disaster it brings.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by ednut1(m): 8:33am On Mar 31, 2019
DavidEsq:
Leviticus 20:29 says: ‘You must not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister or your father’s sister, because that would be exposing a blood relative to shame. They should answer for their error". Taking instructions from this scripture, the underlying reason for this prohibited sexual relations is based on the close blood connection. Since ur cousin is the child of ur mother's/father's sister/brother, there is a clear cut close blood relations between u.
Taking the cue from Hebrews 5:14 which says: "But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their powers of discernment trained to distinguish both right and wrong", it goes without saying that, it is not every wrong that is written in black and white but thru use of our reasoning with the scriptures, we discover these wrongs a rights. So u shldn't marry ur cousin.
so who did cain and abel nack to procreate
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Athena4: 8:33am On Mar 31, 2019
British royalty married themselves (cousins) to keep the blood line pure. This same guys brought Christianity to us which we are currently practicing zombie-ishly and unquestioningly...so So if our white Masters did it then it's absolutely okay. Right?....
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Shedrack777: 8:33am On Mar 31, 2019
AleAirHub:
It's obvious that Op is in the state mind of accepting such forbidden norms base on his responds to some people opinions here. shocked

I'm from Edo State & we forbid it & Op origin share closed culturally norms with ours.

Bible or no Bible such act is forbidden please undecided undecided undecided
I seem to disagree with that pastor's statement of it being legal, that is why I need evidence from the Bible where it is written not legal. Thank you
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by stanliwise(m): 8:34am On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
I know that it's a taboo in urhobo culture, and I've not tried it. But how wrong is it in the Bible?
everyone are your cousins na, so ask the right question. The questions should be what distant?
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by OkunrinMeta: 8:35am On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777 As shown below, there was a time when God not only allowed it, he commanded it. It's obviously allowed according to the bible that's the answer to your question. But because you can do something does not mean you should do it. And you should always obey the law if it's illegal where you live. The Bible requires us to give to ceasar what belongs to ceaser. Means obey the law... unless it forces you to commit a sin.

The family heads of the clan of Gilead son of Makir, the son of Manasseh, who were from the clans of the descendants of Joseph, came and spoke before Moses and the leaders, the heads of the Israelite families. 2 They said, “When the Lord commanded my lord to give the land as an inheritance to the Israelites by lot, he ordered you to give the inheritance of our brother Zelophehad to his daughters. 3 Now suppose they marry men from other Israelite tribes; then their inheritance will be taken from our ancestral inheritance and added to that of the tribe they marry into. And so part of the inheritance allotted to us will be taken away. 4 When the Year of Jubilee for the Israelites comes, their inheritance will be added to that of the tribe into which they marry, and their property will be taken from the tribal inheritance of our ancestors.”

5 Then at the Lord’s command Moses gave this order to the Israelites: “What the tribe of the descendants of Joseph is saying is right. 6 This is what the Lord commands for Zelophehad’s daughters: They may marry anyone they please as long as they marry within their father’s tribal clan. 7 No inheritance in Israel is to pass from one tribe to another, for every Israelite shall keep the tribal inheritance of their ancestors. 8 Every daughter who inherits land in any Israelite tribe must marry someone in her father’s tribal clan, so that every Israelite will possess the inheritance of their ancestors. 9 No inheritance may pass from one tribe to another, for each Israelite tribe is to keep the land it inherits.”

10 So Zelophehad’s daughters did as the Lord commanded Moses. 11 Zelophehad’s daughters—Mahlah, Tirzah, Hoglah, Milkah and Noah—married their cousins on their father’s side. 12 They married within the clans of the descendants of Manasseh son of Joseph, and their inheritance remained in their father’s tribe and clan.

13 These are the commands and regulations the Lord gave through Moses to the Israelites on the plains of Moab by the Jordan across from Jericho.

2 Likes

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by mankettle(m): 8:37am On Mar 31, 2019
we got christainity from the white. historically, the European Kings and queens always married themselves, so it is easy to find first cousins marrying each other.
now in the Bible if I can remember a bit, Abraham sent his servant to his cousins house to find a wife for isaac
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Starks: 8:40am On Mar 31, 2019
religion this religion that , Bible says this n that, there was a time in d bible two sisters rape their father to produce their seeds, ancient Egypt practice incense, it was highly practice within noble families. but one should know d circumstances n situation at that time for it to b morally acceptable. op d question u should ask yourself is, do your culture accept it. this a sensitive question u can never get right Ans in this platform. go and ask your father or your grandfather not here pls.

5 Likes

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by DavidEsq(m): 8:41am On Mar 31, 2019
ednut1:
so who did cain and abel nack to procreate
That was at the beginning of creation. When the population of God's ppl was bursting at the seams and the relations became distant, then God set his laws.

1 Like

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Jaynom(m): 8:41am On Mar 31, 2019
DavidEsq:
Leviticus 20:29 says: ‘You must not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister or your father’s sister, because that would be exposing a blood relative to shame. They should answer for their error". Taking instructions from this scripture, the underlying reason for this prohibited sexual relations is based on the close blood connection. Since ur cousin is the child of ur mother's/father's sister/brother, there is a clear cut close blood relations between u.
Taking the cue from Hebrews 5:14 which says: "But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their powers of discernment trained to distinguish both right and wrong", it goes without saying that, it is not every wrong that is written in black and white but thru use of our reasoning with the scriptures, we discover these wrongs a rights. So u shldn't marry ur cousin.
Do not add or subtract from Scriptures! Leviticus was A DETAILED BOOK the instructions were Strict! Don't add to it! DON'T ASSUME! . It didn't forbid marriages between cousins. in the rabbinic literature, Sarah is considered Abraham's niece (the daughter of his brother, Haran). Isaac married Rebekah, his first cousin.
Isaac and Rebekah's firstborn son Esau married his cousin Mahalah, daughter of his father's brother Ishmael, while their second son Jacob married his cousins Leah and Rachel, daughters of his mother's brother Laban. Marriage of cousins was not forbidden in biblical law. Study your Bible o!

4 Likes

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by AleAirHub(m): 8:42am On Mar 31, 2019
Baba I understand you.
Be it pastor or not , the act is forbidden norms in your native origin.
Thanks
Shedrack777:
I seem to disagree with that pastor's statement of it being legal, that is why I need evidence from the Bible where it is written not legal. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Joystark(f): 8:42am On Mar 31, 2019
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lipsrsealed
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Mahmoudkk04(m): 8:42am On Mar 31, 2019
AleAirHub:
It's obvious that Op is in the state mind of accepting such forbidden norms base on his responds to some people opinions here. shocked

I'm from Edo State & we forbid it & Op origin share closed culturally norms with ours.

Bible or no Bible such act is forbidden please undecided undecided undecided
Aren't you a Christian? Is the bible not your guiding scripture any more? The last time I checked, there is no scripture or religion in this planet earth that forbids cousins marriage. Not even people that do not believe in God forbids it. America, France, Spain, Israel and all those developed countries practice cousins marriage going by their history. Therefore, don't deceive yourself unless you want to promote your personal opinion or culture over your religion's view. Common sense should tell you how the world started talking about Adam and Eve, how they multiplied and the world now became what it is today.

1 Like

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by DavidEsq(m): 8:43am On Mar 31, 2019
Jaynom:

Do not add or subtract from Scriptures! Leviticus was A DETAILED BOOK the instructions were Strict! Don't add to it! DON'T ASSUME! . It didn't forbid marriages between cousins. Isaac married Rebekah, his first cousin.
Isaac and Rebekah's firstborn son Esau married his cousin Mahalah, daughter of his father's brother Ishmael, while their second son Jacob married his cousins Leah and Rachel, daughters of his mother's brother Laban. Marriage of cousins was not forbidden in biblical law. Study your Bible o!
U are very correct o! However, did u see where I quoted Hebrews 5:14,15?
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by martolux(m): 8:44am On Mar 31, 2019
Agreed... but was the law written (book of Leviticus) before they married their cousins or after? Who else in the bible married his or her cousin after the law was written? ?
RuthlessLeader:
Op this is the same bible where the patriarch married his own sister. Jacob and Esau married their cousins.

All in all, you should consider the potential genetic risk sha, but it's your choice.

Also:

This.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by AleAirHub(m): 8:45am On Mar 31, 2019
Well done kiss
Starks:
religion this religion that , Bible says this n that, there was a time in d bible two sisters rape their father to produce their seeds, ancient Egypt practice incense, it was highly practice within noble families. but one should know d circumstances n situation at that time for it to b morally acceptable. op d question u should ask yourself is, do your culture accept it. this a sensitive question u can never get right Ans in this platform. go and ask your father or your grandfather not here pls.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Akolawole(m): 8:46am On Mar 31, 2019
How on earth will someone consider marrying ANYONE related to him?

I knew part of Ghanaian culture allowed it with the notion that 'close relatives will be able to take care of themselves properly' ' Nonsense!

Even medical experts regularly speak against it.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Davicjoe(m): 8:48am On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
No! In the northern Nigeria here, the Hausa Christians do practice it, but my culture Urhobo, forbids it. But a pastor once told me the Bible doesn't forbid it. How true is this? Pls more contributions needed
The northern Christians also condemns it. Speak for urself.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Jaynom(m): 8:51am On Mar 31, 2019
DavidEsq:

U are very correct o! However, did u see where I quoted Hebrews 5:14,15?
So Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Laban etc were not mature enough to understand "spiritual things"? They didn't have the spirit of discernment? it's okay! So can you please show us a verse that condemns marriage between cousins?
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by mrhipup(m): 8:52am On Mar 31, 2019
Prohibited to you (For marriage) are:- Your mothers, daughters, sisters; father's sisters, Mother's sisters; brother's daughters, sister's daughters; foster-mothers (Who gave you suck), foster-sisters; your wives' mothers; your step-daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom ye have gone in,- no prohibition if ye have not gone in;- (Those who have been) wives of your sons proceeding from your loins; and two sisters in wedlock at one and the same time, except for what is past; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful;-
Quran 4:23

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by LZAA: 8:53am On Mar 31, 2019
Forget religion and let science clear your doubts
The risk of giving birth to imbeciles and weak children is way higher in marriages involving relatives
Why do u think most whites in the south(of america) are mocked wen they make stupid comments i.e your parents were cousins grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by praxs(m): 8:53am On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
No! In the northern Nigeria here, the Hausa Christians do practice it, but my culture Urhobo, forbids it. But a pastor once told me the Bible doesn't forbid it. How true is this? Pls more contributions needed

Shut up! Which Hausa Christians. Fucking liar
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by arcnomec(m): 8:54am On Mar 31, 2019
Op,your question has indeed stirred up a lot of curiosity in me when I read Leviticus.
From scriptural references is it not forbidden,but Heb 5 vs 14 did justice to your above question.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by jjohndoe83: 8:55am On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
The Bible didn't forbid you marrying your aunt's/uncle children (your cousins) from that passage. It only forbids you marrying your aunt/uncle. Your contribution was appreciated, but not well proved/guaranteed.
If the Bible forbids marrying your aunt/uncle, do you think that it would be permissible to marry their children? Its like saying you can't have beans but you can eat moi-moi.

4 Likes

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by DavidEsq(m): 8:58am On Mar 31, 2019
Jaynom:

So Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Laban etc were not mature enough to understand "spiritual things"? They didn't have the spirit of discernment? it's okay! So can you please show us a verse that condemns marriage between cousins?
That scripture simply emphasises wat 1 Corinthians 8:8-13 says about how our actions (though not sinful) can affect fellow Christians. It has nothing to do with Oga Abraham and his wonderful sons.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by DavidEsq(m): 8:58am On Mar 31, 2019
jjohndoe83:

If the Bible forbids marrying your aunt/uncle, do you think that it would be permissible to marry their children? Its like saying you can't have beans but you can eat moi-moi.
cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by chinedu202000(m): 8:59am On Mar 31, 2019
Gen.24:29
Gen.25:20
Gen. 28:2
Gen.29:14
Gen.29:16-19
Genesis 28:1-2 (KJV) And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.
Arise, go to Padan-aram, to the house of Bethuel thy mother's father; and take thee a wife from thence of the daughters of Laban thy mother's brother.
Genesis 29:12, 14-21 (KJV) And Jacob told Rachel that he was her father's brother, and that he was Rebekah's son: and she ran and told her father.
And Laban said to him, Surely thou art my bone and my flesh. And he abode with him the space of a month.
And Laban said unto Jacob, Because thou art my brother, shouldest thou therefore serve me for nought? tell me, what shall thy wages be?
And Laban had two daughters: the name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.
Leah was tender eyed; but Rachel was beautiful and well favoured.
And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter.
And Laban said, It is better that I give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man: abide with me.
And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her.
And Jacob said unto Laban, Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in unto her. You can see the Bible didn't forbid that, but some culture do. And the Bible is higher than any culture.

1 Like

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by OkunrinMeta: 9:02am On Mar 31, 2019
jjohndoe83:

Did you read all the biblical examples shared of people who married their cousins. There was a time in numbers 36 where God told some people they must marry their fathers kins and they married their cousins as those were the only relatives you are allowed to marry by the law of Moses. You can use your beans and moi moi common sense or you can read the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by larryking540: 9:08am On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
u should have asked d pastor if he can do it, atleast he should lay a practical example

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

12-Year-Old Lesbian At Bishop Daniel Obinim's Church For Deliverance (Video, Pic / I Am Not Dying Yet - Apostle Suleman Denies Predicting Death / Rev Esther Prays For God To Touch Prophet Israel Genesis' Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.