Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,518 members, 7,816,253 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

What Makes Man? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Makes Man? (1339 Views)

"What Makes You So Sure That You've Picked The Right God?" / What Makes You A Christian? / What Makes Christianity The One True Religion Of God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Makes Man? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:51pm On Apr 13, 2019
The topic is drawn from a very long time unravelled uncertainty bothering on Identity.

Guess I watched some movies that portrayed the question on screen. First movie is Identity, second is Triangle and the third is Predestination. These movies throws me into matrix and lose in the tunnel.

Good topic though
Re: What Makes Man? by johnydon22(m): 12:36am On Apr 14, 2019
FOLYKAZE:
The topic is drawn from a very long time unravelled uncertainty bothering on Identity.

Guess I watched some movies that portrayed the question on screen. First movie is Identity, second is Triangle and the third is Predestination. These movies throws me into matrix and lose in the tunnel.

Good topic though
Can you furnish us on where you lean regarding this topic?

Is man his spirit or mind? (If you believe there is)
Or is he his body?
Or is he both?
Re: What Makes Man? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:05am On Apr 14, 2019
johnydon22:
Can you furnish us on where you lean regarding this topic?

Is man his spirit or mind? (If you believe there is)
Or is he his body?
Or is he both?

The answer is obvious. The body conveys the inner-self..it can be replaced but the inner-self is distinct. Using analogy like the one you have up there...if I bought a Mercedes Benz and over the years after wear and tear, I moved the Benz Engine into another scrap which makes the new vehicle more like Limo, will that change the physical identity of my car or change the fact that it is same Benz Engine in another metal scrap?

People simply confuse physical identity to inner-self (man). Will transplant of body changes inner-self? The answer is no.

Let me brief you about my personal experience on this topic. It was in 2007 when I developed strong interest in another form of life, religion in this case, outside Christianity. My friend whose Dad is Babalawo invited me to a Babaji festive. Along with us is an hired bike man who took us there. The bike rider is a Delta man and understand some Yoruba words but speak entirely in pidgin. We paid him to take us there and also return us in the next day. The ceremony was to hold in the middle of the night.

When it all started, the Babaji spirit was consulted by the priests and normal rituals gear on. Those of us there went into about fourty minutes of singing, clapping and drumming so that the spirit will rise. Finally it does. And it embodied the bike rider. Surprisingly, the bike rider went into trance, stood on his right feet (babaji is a one legged spirit), and spoke in Ikale/Apoi dialect. One thing that fascinated me was that the bike man took up another identity and said and did things outside his knowledge...like he was with Priests for years. He at a point went into the forest to get some leaves for ritual. How could someone that doesn't know the area do well wander in the forest in the middle of the night without a flash light or guidance?

And there is this funny thing. When the spirit was about to leave, it instructed it priest to inform the bike man (mentioning his name) to perform some rites. At that point, it shows clearly there were two personalities (in this case spirit) in one body. One is the bike rider's, while the other is the Babaji spirit.

At the point when our bike rider went into trance, did and say things outside his knowledge or experience, everyone there acknowledge the Man/spirit in it as Babaji (not rider man this time).

The Babaji spirit which spoke through the bike rider mentioned that he should perform some rites when he returns to his consciousness and to himself.

Rider man who speaks Pidgin suddenly speak pure Ikale dialect. How possible? Two man in a body. One is in hibernated while the other is active. And brought another question...what holds experience, knowledge and memory, the body or spirit?

Things like this happen too in Churches, esp the white garment,where it is believed some spirits embodies another person body and does things distinct from what the embodied personality can do.

There is also a general belief in spiritual circle or some religion that one can communicate with dead people. In Yoruba, the medium is called Oro. In the real sense, the person is dead and body decomposed. Therefore, the person/man that is been conversed is the person spirit called Aponri in Yoruba.

Aponri in Yoruba simply mean the inner self. It exist separately from the body. And that is what defines oneself. Ori (Consciousness) capture experiences while Iwa (character) defines physical identity.

This is why Yoruba will say, Ori inĂș mi ma ba ti ode mi je meaning my inner head shouldn't destroyed my outer head. (Another philosophy question...is bad destiny really bad?).

Yoruba people believe that everything we do in the physical world is a reflection of action of Aponri in Ode Orun. Meaning the inner-self self directs our physical behaviour. And when the body is inanimate, the Aponri transcend to another realm and continue to exist or possibly returned into another body as Aseyinwaye (Reincarnation). This is why Yoruba people posit that that Person don't really die, they transcend into ancestor realm (Baba oku, baba re ile...in music you here Baba re le o, ile lo lo tarara).

If I am going to speak on my experiences and Yoruba knowledge on the subject, I will conclude that the spirit is the man/person/being here and not the entire body.

1 Like

Re: What Makes Man? by orisa37: 11:04am On Apr 14, 2019
Penis and The Power to use it.
Re: What Makes Man? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:33pm On Apr 14, 2019
Dead men in some occasions have erection and sex with women that are alive

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Doesn't Church Of Christ Celebrate Christmas / One Atheist's Creed / What Happened When I Converted From Catholic To Christian.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.