Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,129 members, 7,863,930 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:12 AM

Vicar Jailed For Sham Marriage Scam - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Vicar Jailed For Sham Marriage Scam (733 Views)

Vicar Of Baghdad: ISIS Beheaded 4 Christian Children, They Said 'We Love Jesus]' / The Pope Is The Vicar Of Hell / The Pope: Vicar Of Christ. Really ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vicar Jailed For Sham Marriage Scam by anonimi: 3:48pm On Sep 06, 2010
A vicar who oversaw hundreds of sham marriages between African nationals and cash-strapped eastern Europeans to help migrants settle illegally in Britain was jailed for four years on Monday.
The Reverend Alex Brown, 61, presided over 360 bogus ceremonies over four years at his small parish church.

Over that period, the "massive and cynical scam," thought to be the biggest of its kind, involved women being paid up to 3,000 pounds a time to help the men, mostly Nigerian, by-pass immigration laws.

In several cases participants cancelled one wedding only to marry someone else a month or two later, and in another, a person was registered to marry two people on the same day, the Press Association reported.

Of the hundreds of people Brown married at his church, 90 couples were registered as living on one road in the parish and in some cases several brides and grooms claimed to live in the same house.

Lewes Crown Court heard how he repeatedly abused his position at his church in St Leonards, East Sussex, which saw a 30-fold rise in marriages over the previous four years.

Co-defendants, "recruiter" Vladymyr Buchak, 33, and solicitor and pastor Michael Adelasoye, 50, were also jailed for four years.

The gang were caught following an investigation by the UK Border Agency (UKBA) after caseworkers noticed a surge in immigration applications involving people who had married at the church.

Judge Richard Hayward also handed Brown a five-month sentence after he pleaded guilty to solemnising a marriage according to the rites of the Church of England without the banns being properly read. The two sentences will run concurrently.

(Reporting by Stefano Ambrogi; Editing by Steve Addison)

Source: Yahoo News
Re: Vicar Jailed For Sham Marriage Scam by anonimi: 4:50pm On Sep 09, 2010
trying to paste the picture of this old man who has brought our collective name and heritage as Nigerians to shame, ridicule and mud.
anyone who is more tech-savvy should please help out and give me a "click guide" so I can do it myself next time.

[img=http://africannewslive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/uk-Immigration-lawyer-Michael-Adelasoye.jpg>http://>http://Sham pastor[/img]
Re: Vicar Jailed For Sham Marriage Scam by JeSoul(f): 5:35pm On Sep 09, 2010
Here you go AnonimiĀ  (reply and quote this post to see the correct formatting) -

Re: Vicar Jailed For Sham Marriage Scam by anonimi: 3:55pm On Sep 10, 2010
thank you my tech-savvy sister for bailing me out. It is very ok.
Now, i hope you don't mind giving the step-by-step guide to do something similar.
Meanwhile I think oga Admin-Seun, should create two threads- Hall of Fame & Hall of Shame to be permanently on the forum's front page.
What do other NLers think?
Re: Vicar Jailed For Sham Marriage Scam by JeSoul(f): 5:16pm On Sep 13, 2010
anonimi:

thank you my tech-savvy sister for bailing me out. It is very ok.
Now, i hope you don't mind giving the step-by-step guide to do something similar.
Check this out - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-505782.32.html#msg6714332

(1) (Reply)

Lets Put Some Fun Into Christianity / Part 20. Do You Know That The Clergy/laity Order Has Been Cancelled By Christ Je / Value Re-orientaion: Panacea To Materialism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.