Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,236 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari (13665 Views)

Nigerians Getting 20hrs Power Supply – Discos Justify Price Hike / COVID-19: Nigerians To Enjoy Two Months Free Electricity Supply – Discos / 'Declare Zamfara State Of Emergency' - Nigerians Tell Buhari On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Nkemakonam62: 6:22am On Mar 25, 2019
Electricity distribution companies in Nigeria’s power sector yesterday asked President Muhammadu Buhari to sit up and comprehensively address the challenges in the power sector without recourse to politics.

They also declared that they have been freed from the responsibility of providing meters to power consumers under their networks, explaining that the newly initiated Meter Assets Provider (MAP) programme of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) is now to be saddled with that task.

Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja, the Executive Director for Research and Advocacy of the Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors (ANED), an umbrella body of the Discos, Mr. Sunday Oduntan, said that NERC’s MAP had assumed the responsibility of providing meters to Nigerians, in which case, the Discos no longer hold that primary responsibility.
MAP was initiated by NERC to improve meter deployment rate in the country’s electricity sector using approved third-party operators.
The commission had approved 121 firms to participate in the scheme.
But speaking on the development, Oduntan explained that the Discos have taken a backseat in the task, and would only support the MAP operators to do their jobs.
He said: “The failures of the legacy years caught up with us when we came on board and in trying to roll out meters, we need to do a lot more.
“We have done quite a lot in our performance agreements. There are a number of meters that we were required to provide within five years, and within the five-year period, we did 88 per cent of what we were required to do.
“But you need to understand that what we were required to do was far low compared to the nation’s metering requirement.
“Those who have meters will tell you they are happy, and those who don’t have meters have a right to be aggrieved. So, metering now has been taken off the Discos’ primary responsibilities.”

He added: “In summary, the MAP providers are essentially now in charge of metering and not the Discos. We are participants and have roles to play.
“We are playing along and doing what we are expected to do and asked to do as Discos, but we are not the one that will now provide meters to Nigerians going forward and people should understand that.”
According to him, the Discos support anything or programme that will make it possible for Nigerians to have meters, adding: “We are partners and want people to understand now because MAP providers are now in charge of meters and that is the fact that Nigerians should understand and I don’t want any politician to start playing politics that it is not, it is MAP and we support MAP.

“The more meters we have in our network the better for us because people will for once pay for what they consume. Studies have shown that those who waste electricity are the ones who are on estimated bills.”
He said the Discos were equally worried about the move to criminalise estimated billing methodology of the NERC, adding that if that happens, they will most likely deny supply to consumers without meters to avoid going to prison for flouting the proposed law.
“The moment you make estimated billing a criminal offence for me as a Disco, you are telling me that if I cannot give you a meter, I should not give you light. So, I cannot go to prison. Let common sense prevail if you are saying it is a criminal offence,” he said.

On the conditions required for electricity supply to become stable in the country, Oduntan said it was necessary for the government to allow for cost-reflective tariff in the sector, provide financial subsidies for people who may not be able to pay the right tariff, and create regulatory assets scheme for the Discos.
This, he stated, is to make the Discos to be able to source finance from banks to fund their operations in the event that the government is cautious of a public backlash over cost-reflective tariff.
He claimed that the NERC has failed to undertake a review of their tariff since 2016 to allow for a tariff that is cost-efficient.
Oduntan said that the financial shortfall from this was now in excess of N1.4 trillion.
“There has never been a single minor tariff review since 2016. We have been expecting reviews since 2016, and anything short of that means that sector will not work,” he added.

https://www.akelicious.net/2019/03/sit-up-over-power-supply-discos-tell.html

1 Share

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by galadima77(m): 6:24am On Mar 25, 2019
See liver...if only these failures would spend same time they used in designing beautiful company logos to distribute stable electricity, we should have excelled a little. The heat nowadays no be here!

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Bizznezz: 6:32am On Mar 25, 2019
nice move...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Felixalex(m): 6:37am On Mar 25, 2019
Funny, i just de imagine say Garba Shehu carry ipad go show M.I (Mr. Integrity) this news caption.

He go just hiss, say Ubansu!

7 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by odave: 6:39am On Mar 25, 2019
35 I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.

36 Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.

37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.

Psalm 37 vs 35 to 37. If you as a leader have opportunity to do good but chose otherwise, God will judge you. Really Nigeria power situation is a rocket science. We are just fooling around.

2 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Nobody: 6:39am On Mar 25, 2019
I don't take this kinda news serious cos PMB is still not the right man for the job. He's burdened by pressure.

5 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by JudgeOGBUNABALI(m): 6:40am On Mar 25, 2019
odave:
35 I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.

36 Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.

37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.
APC and Bubu take note!

1 Like

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Denikayan: 6:41am On Mar 25, 2019
If PDP moved at this pace His Excellence, President Mohammadu Buhari (GCFR) is moving, we won't be complaining this much about power.

When ordinary OBJ and Atiku looted $16,000,000,000 meant for this same power we talking about today.

Slow and steady, we will get there. Disco's should STFU and get to job.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by gunpoint(m): 6:41am On Mar 25, 2019
cheesy
Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by symbianDON(m): 6:42am On Mar 25, 2019
we the customers are also asking the discos to step up their game

7 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by sinistermind(m): 6:42am On Mar 25, 2019
This is reality of things. So far the government have being playing politics with most issues involving DISCOs. They should set politics aside and address issues on ground.

4 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by sweetilicious(f): 6:48am On Mar 25, 2019
People are agrieved
Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by InaNla(f): 6:49am On Mar 25, 2019
shocked

Definition of FAILURE.

Buari is indeed a colossal failure in government.

1 Like

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Talknochip(m): 6:49am On Mar 25, 2019
The current power situation can also be liken to; ''Four year tenure , three year holiday''

1 Like

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by b0rn2fuck(m): 6:51am On Mar 25, 2019
3 different generators loading
Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:55am On Mar 25, 2019
Denikayan:
If PDP moved at this pace His Excellence, President Mohammadu Buhari (GCFR) is moving, we won't be complaining this much about power.

When ordinary OBJ and Atiku looted $16,000,000,000 meant for this same power we talking about today.

God bless you so much for this sensible comment sir.
With youths like you, the future of our country is bright.
Slow and steady we will get to the NEXT LEVEL.
God bless our President MUHAMMADU BUHARI and his amiable Vice president Prof Yemi OSIBANJO.
God bless Nigeria.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Accurate4u: 6:56am On Mar 25, 2019
Denikayan:

guy, l think your mumu no be small. which improving in this government are refer to, is it the dropping of power generated according to layers statistics of power distribution l guess you don't know what is happening around stop spreading nonsense

8 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by aolawale025: 6:57am On Mar 25, 2019
Truth has to be told.
Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Ozkar: 7:00am On Mar 25, 2019
Denikayan:

it's amazing how you guys jump in to justify incompetence by comparing with previous incompetence. I wonder why a desire to improve is not a default part of the Nigerian mentality.

You are content with the state of electricity in Nigeria, abi?

12 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Denikayan: 7:04am On Mar 25, 2019
Accurate4u:

guy, l think your mumu no be small. which improving in this government are refer to, is it the dropping of power generated according to layers statistics of power distribution l guess you don't know what is happening around stop spreading nonsense

So power dropping due to technical problems happens only in this part of the world? If you want to know what improving means, Tell me our EG in last 16years and the growth in the last 4years and I will explain further to you.

Facts and figures I need and not hearsay.
Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by sans17(m): 7:04am On Mar 25, 2019
I think bubu should actually stop visiting za oza room for now so as to concentrate on the light issues!! Mama AISHA abeg no vex ehn! Na just 4 years pere
Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by israelmao(m): 7:12am On Mar 25, 2019
This Disco dance in power sector must stop. Where is Fashola's promise of stable power supply in 6months?

1 Like

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by mmadu5(m): 7:18am On Mar 25, 2019
is not about giving meters are we going to have constant light? this country self
Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Otunski: 7:19am On Mar 25, 2019
Where's Fashola that said during Jonathan's government that a serious Government should be able to fix the power sector in 6 months? Now heat is killing Nigerians he's no where to be found. The DISCO that is advising Buhari, is like they are not aware that Buhari isn't aware of anything going on in this country?

2 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by bilulu(m): 7:20am On Mar 25, 2019
Denikayan:

what pace are you taking about? upon all the noise have they been able to add a single megawatt? if PDP had moved in this pace we won't be were we re now
Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Rollitout: 7:20am On Mar 25, 2019
Disco
PHCN
NEPA
IK ELECTRIC
EKO ELECTRIC
ALL OF THEM NA TIF THEM BE

2 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:23am On Mar 25, 2019
It's going to be 8 years soon, keep monkeying about and shouting pdp, it's people like u that come online and lie they now have 24hrs electricity, make una continue o

Denikayan:

So power dropping due to technical problems happens only in this part of the world? If you want to know what improving means, Tell me our EG in last 16years and the growth in the last 4years and I will explain further to you.

Facts and figures I need and not hearsay.

4 Likes

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by Mobsync(m): 7:28am On Mar 25, 2019
Discos are distribution companies. They sell electricity. The FG is responsible for generating and selling that electricity to the Discos.

But the FG has been blaming them of poor electricity of late even though they are not at fault.

And the FG knows this. But incompetence wouldn't allow them do the proper thing.

Seems like the Discos are tired of getting the axe for something that is no fault of theirs.

The only mistake they made is not asking Fashola too to sit up.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sit Up Over Power Supply - Discos Tell Buhari by 9gerian: 7:28am On Mar 25, 2019
The Discos should hide their faces in shame...

Only the gullible do not understand your game after all the deliberate sabotage capitalizing on the power minister’s limited knowledge about the workings on generation and transmissions to offer all sorts of excuses for rejecting generated power only to prefer issuing crazy estimated bills. In other words, you fraudulent discos are making so much free money as long as you issue estimated bills for power you refused to transmit to the people. The result being that power supply would only improve at the high end users where the whole area is metered, but much worse where estimated bills are being issued. It is not rocket science for those that are intelligent!!!

The more pathetic aspect is that you have projected and built-in enough illegal charges into the crazy bills, and you now force the users to pay (or get disconnected) when they eventually get prepaid meters. ROGUES trying to sound intelligent!!!

The government should monitor the activities of the discos because they will never support the independent meter companies but would rather frustrate them.

The Efcc should investigate both the NERC and the discos and all their evil saboteurs that benefit from the epileptic electricity supply to see the crazy money they made from crazy estimated bills!!! The NERC is very complicit for the fraud to have continued for so long.

The legislature should pass a bill writing off all the crazy estimated bills, and watch these rogues scream blue murder! Wicked souls!!!

Nkemakonam62:
Electricity distribution companies in Nigeria’s power sector yesterday asked President Muhammadu Buhari to sit up and comprehensively address the challenges in the power sector without recourse to politics.

They also declared that they have been freed from the responsibility of providing meters to power consumers under their networks, explaining that the newly initiated Meter Assets Provider (MAP) programme of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) is now to be saddled with that task.

Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja, the Executive Director for Research and Advocacy of the Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors (ANED), an umbrella body of the Discos, Mr. Sunday Oduntan, said that NERC’s MAP had assumed the responsibility of providing meters to Nigerians, in which case, the Discos no longer hold that primary responsibility.
MAP was initiated by NERC to improve meter deployment rate in the country’s electricity sector using approved third-party operators.
The commission had approved 121 firms to participate in the scheme.
But speaking on the development, Oduntan explained that the Discos have taken a backseat in the task, and would only support the MAP operators to do their jobs.
He said: “The failures of the legacy years caught up with us when we came on board and in trying to roll out meters, we need to do a lot more.
“We have done quite a lot in our performance agreements. There are a number of meters that we were required to provide within five years, and within the five-year period, we did 88 per cent of what we were required to do.
“But you need to understand that what we were required to do was far low compared to the nation’s metering requirement.
“Those who have meters will tell you they are happy, and those who don’t have meters have a right to be aggrieved. So, metering now has been taken off the Discos’ primary responsibilities.”

He added: “In summary, the MAP providers are essentially now in charge of metering and not the Discos. We are participants and have roles to play.
“We are playing along and doing what we are expected to do and asked to do as Discos, but we are not the one that will now provide meters to Nigerians going forward and people should understand that.”
According to him, the Discos support anything or programme that will make it possible for Nigerians to have meters, adding: “We are partners and want people to understand now because MAP providers are now in charge of meters and that is the fact that Nigerians should understand and I don’t want any politician to start playing politics that it is not, it is MAP and we support MAP.

“The more meters we have in our network the better for us because people will for once pay for what they consume. Studies have shown that those who waste electricity are the ones who are on estimated bills.”
He said the Discos were equally worried about the move to criminalise estimated billing methodology of the NERC, adding that if that happens, they will most likely deny supply to consumers without meters to avoid going to prison for flouting the proposed law.
“The moment you make estimated billing a criminal offence for me as a Disco, you are telling me that if I cannot give you a meter, I should not give you light. So, I cannot go to prison. Let common sense prevail if you are saying it is a criminal offence,” he said.

On the conditions required for electricity supply to become stable in the country, Oduntan said it was necessary for the government to allow for cost-reflective tariff in the sector, provide financial subsidies for people who may not be able to pay the right tariff, and create regulatory assets scheme for the Discos.
This, he stated, is to make the Discos to be able to source finance from banks to fund their operations in the event that the government is cautious of a public backlash over cost-reflective tariff.
He claimed that the NERC has failed to undertake a review of their tariff since 2016 to allow for a tariff that is cost-efficient.
Oduntan said that the financial shortfall from this was now in excess of N1.4 trillion.
“There has never been a single minor tariff review since 2016. We have been expecting reviews since 2016, and anything short of that means that sector will not work,” he added.

https://www.akelicious.net/2019/03/sit-up-over-power-supply-discos-tell.html

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hosa Okunbo: Obaseki Has Good Plans For Edo On Paper, Nothing On Ground / Buhari Cancels Restoration Of INTELS' Pilotage Contract / Jonathan, Imoke, Amaechi, Sambo, Aliyu (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.