Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,026 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! (3343 Views)

Senate To Contractor: Stop Work On Otuoke Road Project / Ganduje In Caterpillar, Commissions A Road Project (Photos) / Okorocha’s House Demolished In Orlu For Road Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by wales(m): 7:24am On Sep 07, 2010
The Special Adviser to Governor Babatunde Fashola on Works and Infrastrucure, Engr. Ganiu Johnson, has expressed the state government’s unhappiness over the state of the Egbeda-Isheri Olofin road in Lagos, a project awarded to Bulletin Construction Company.

Subsequently, he announced the sack of the contractor and awarded the project to Plycon Construction Company, which was handling the Isheri Olofin-Ikotun axis road.

Speaking during an inspection tour of the road, the Special Adviser, observed that the contract, awarded about a year ago, has been abandoned by the contractor, while Plycon Construction Company was at the finishing stage of the the road that links Isheri Olofin with Ikotun.

The state government, Alausa Rhythms learnt, may have blacklisted the firm following its shoddy handling of the project that has already earned the state government a bad name.

Engr. Johnson, while announcing the removal of Bulletin Construction Company from the project, said the state government took the step because of the firm’s non-performance.

He also maintained that the action was a warning to other contractors that the government is keen on the interest of its citizens.

Johnson, who appreciated the level of work done by Plycon, added that the road would be one of the Christmas gifts from the government to residents of the area.

The SA, who also visited the Maza Maza bridge construction site, which is an additional bridge to service the Lagos-Badagry Expressway with the 10-lane programme of the state government, expressed joy that the contractor, Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, was up to the task and meeting the deadline.

The 170-metre bridge, which is about 80 per cent completed, has a lane for the Bus Rapid Transit scheme.

He also said that the Orile-Iganmu Police Station would be affected by the road construction and plans were on to relocate it. The first phase is from Eric Moore in Surulere to Maza Maza.

“By the end of next year, we should be able to hand this project over, because we are on course,” he said.

Meanwhile, jubilation has greeted the sack of Bulletin Construction Company currently handling the Ipaja junction through Egbeda to Isheri-Olofin. Motorists plying the route were excited when the information reached them that the project has been rewarded to another firm.

Speaking with Alausa Rhythms on the issue, the motorists said they had thought the state government lacked the funds to execute the project and they had resigned to fate as they have had to constantly service their vehicles due to its deplorable condition.

“We constantly pray that it should not rain, because if it does, then we are doomed. We thought the governor should have left the road as it was rather than award the project when he knew he could not complete it.

“We did not know we were just passing through this hell because the contractor refused to do his work,” Adeniyi Musa, a commuter bus driver in the area told Alausa Rhythms.

Another driver, who gave his name as Sunday, said he was happy that the road would be completed by December as promised by Engr. Johnson.

“The other contractor handling the Ikotun road is almost through with his job. If you know you cannot handle a project, then why bid for it?” he asked.

Dotun Ahmed, a driver, who plies the Iyana-Ipaja-Ikotun route, said several times, he had stopped working due to the damage to his bus as a result of the bad road.

“We always make use of alternative routes, which are themselves in bad shape. You can imagine working three days and repairing your bus the remaining days of the week,” he said.

Adebisi Ajayi, a banker who lives in Igando, a suburb of the state said since the road project began last year, she has been leaving home as early as five in the morning as against 6.30a.m. “Yet, I still get to the office late sometimes,” she added.

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by dlox01(m): 1:07pm On Sep 07, 2010
Eko oni baje!!!! wink
angry angry angry Lagos-ibadan Express way
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by TeskyMan(m): 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2010
When the leader of a troupe has been fired in the battle front, every other person takes caution.

Hope this will sound serious warning to other contractors.

A word they say is enough for the,

BRF, Carry go. Don't even bother yourself about the sycophants.

Eko O ni baje ohh, Infact O baje tii ii ii iii iiii
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by frankcimc(m): 2:40pm On Sep 07, 2010
Good one there oga governor Eko oni baje o.
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by maxims: 2:56pm On Sep 07, 2010
Eko baje less, O baje didn't jare

Thumbs up BRF, good riddance to bad rubbish!!!
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by HamidO1(m): 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2010
[size=15pt]Gov Fashola sets the pace n others follow[/size], FOOLS LIKE MY STATE GOV, SARAKI WON'T FOLLOW SHA
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by bennie1980(m): 3:24pm On Sep 07, 2010
I would expect the sack be extended to HITECH, the contracor handling Lekki/Epe express way.It has been a torrid experience living at the axis owing to the lack of attention the contractor is paying to movement along the road. while I agree that they are carrying out a construction work, however, attempt should have been to cause a minimal disruption to movement. Yesterday(06/09/100 was a sad experience for motorists as most of them spent average of 9hrs on the road.The journey to my house which should have taken just tem minutes took me 8 hours as i got home at 1am.
Please, BRF should come to our rescue and take the job away from HITECH.
Thanks.
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by gReenmAn(m): 4:14pm On Sep 07, 2010
The Egbeda - Isheri nightmare coming to an end soon should give the residents and commuters a cause to pop champagne.
That route is just that: NIGHTMARE embarassed
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by bixqo3: 4:14pm On Sep 07, 2010
Oh yes yesterday was such a horrible day i got home 12.30midnight  this is because area boys started directing us take take one way to ease to traffic jam pressure.

Nowadays i have to leave home 5.30.am and will still meet hold up instead of the usual 7.00a.m i used to leave my house. I wonder how its going to be like when school resumes next week.

I quite agree that HItech should be the next company to be sacked. their work is so poorly done, the roads are not smooth, pot holes have started appearing in some parts of the road that is not even up to a year, They are so slow,
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by Demdem(m): 4:41pm On Sep 07, 2010
Bulletin Construction Company is a useless company. The same company doing shoddy jobs here in PH.
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by Goldenmeda(m): 6:14pm On Sep 07, 2010
ask me again
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by ajani68: 9:01pm On Sep 07, 2010
This uselles company has also abandon ajegunle to abule iroko, becklly estate rd at abule egba, and alakuko to agbado crossing. BRF need to revoke the contract.
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by kayoday(m): 9:31pm On Sep 07, 2010
Check out some pictures of some portion of the road. The road was much better before the contract began

Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by kayoday(m): 9:37pm On Sep 07, 2010
More pics

Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by mikeoscar: 3:29am On Sep 08, 2010
Good job BRF!

Bulletin? no be Asiwaju legacy Construction Company be that?? wink wink wink
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by Obasemo: 5:44am On Sep 08, 2010
can someone pls tell us what is happening with ipaja ayobo road? the road is worse more than egbeda - ikotun. i cried atimes if i have a business to do at that area and its a must to go with my car
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by stereotype: 8:07am On Sep 08, 2010
The same punishment that was meted out to the contractors should be extended to Hitech.
asides the fact that they are very slow, they are not performing a quality job on the road. People just see the beauty of the route and say when the job is finished, it would be lovely. If you take time and feel the road when driving; you would realize the roads will start deteriorating in a years time.
That road is a scam initiated by Tinubu and because of politics and a bid to get a second term Fashola is not seeing the crime that the road is. I don't have a problem concessioning any road, but there ought to be alternatives. why pay tax if the government cannot provide roads?
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by ud4u: 12:37pm On Sep 08, 2010
Good step, so that others will learn.

Please can someone tell our Federal Government to emulate Lagos State.
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by doyin13(m): 12:54pm On Sep 08, 2010
I can understand why some feel nauseous over all this BRF pandering. . .All they did was revoke a contract, arguably several months too late.

He might be doing well in your opinion, but it must be remembered, all he is doing is his ''job''.
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by Mariory(m): 3:01pm On Sep 08, 2010
doyin13:

I can understand why some feel nauseous over all this BRF pandering. . .All they did was revoke a contract, arguably several months too late.

He might be doing well in your opinion, but it must be remembered, all he is doing is his ''job''.

So what? Do people not get congratulatory comments when they succesfully complete a project? Or when they find a solution to a problem? Or when they make an important contribution? Why shouldn't BRF enjoy the same courtesy. After all, he is quickly blamed when things don't go as planned.
Re: Road Project: Why Lagos Sacked Contractor ! by babapupa: 7:35pm On Sep 08, 2010
Mariory:

So what? Do people not get congratulatory comments when they succesfully complete a project? Or when they find a solution to a problem? Or when they make an important contribution? Why shouldn't BRF enjoy the same courtesy. After all, he is quickly blamed when things don't go as planned.

Well said. Unfortunately,Nigerians are not wired to think that way,

(1) (Reply)

Africa Slow Progress In Human Development / Why G7 Governors Decamping Does Not Really Affect Jonathan's 2015 Chances / IJEBU STATE: Ikorodu, Epe And Ajah Carve Back To The Map

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.